PDA

View Full Version : Unable to connect to AntiVirus sites

Dedworth
29th March 2011, 11:42
A couple of wweks ago my wifes avg free on her netbook stopping connecting to update - I suspect there is some malware/trojan present because it will not connect to any antivirus websites eg avast, avg etc

Anyy suggestions for ridding the machine of this much appreciated ?

Steve.r
29th March 2011, 11:51
Very strange, I just loaded avg onto my friend's netbook this morning, I will tell him to watch it. I use avg on my laptop and a few others of us do here also, I have not experienced that yet, but will keep my eyes open. Thanks for the heads-up :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
29th March 2011, 11:57
I've got AVG on 2 other machines for up to the last 6 or 7 years - no probs. It's peculiar to this netbook - I suspect some dodgy pop ups might have been played with after going onto the Phil online TV sites

Steve.r
29th March 2011, 12:30
I am sure someone more technical can wade in here, my mate said the same happened to a friend of his just the same. He suggested disconnecting from the net and re-starting in safe mode, then run a scan. Once that is done, reconnect and see if it will connect to updates again. Might help :Erm:

bornatbirth
29th March 2011, 12:46
i had the same problem, it that it wouldnt connect to get the updates :Erm:

i just reinstalled it :D

raynaputi
29th March 2011, 12:58
same thing happened to my desktop before..it was not connecting to avg updates..just like bab, i just reinstalled it..

joebloggs
29th March 2011, 13:16
use avast instead :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.avast.com/en-gb/free-antivirus-download

keithAngel
29th March 2011, 14:34
Dark places overload perhaps:icon_lol:

Steve.r
29th March 2011, 14:56
Dark places overload perhaps:icon_lol: :laugher:

Dedworth
29th March 2011, 15:11
Thanks all. I can't go into safe mode and scan cos when it refused to update I uninstalled with the idea of re-installing but as I say machine will not connect to any AV site hence cannot reinstall or get Avast etc

KeithD
29th March 2011, 15:21
Go to Google Pack and install Spyware Doctor with AV

Steve.r
29th March 2011, 15:27
Ded, you can download anything to a memory stick (one a good laptop) and install it on your duff one, should work. CC Cleaner is a good programe to clear stuff out too.

Dedworth
29th March 2011, 16:13
Ded, you can download anything to a memory stick (one a good laptop) and install it on your duff one, should work. CC Cleaner is a good programe to clear stuff out too.

Thanks I was wondering that I'll give it a go tonight

Go to Google Pack and install Spyware Doctor with AV

Cheers - Might try that if Steve's way fails

imagine
29th March 2011, 16:48
sounds to me like a worm,some do stop you getting anti virus ,,, try this free version its very good,,,i have cleared worms in similer situation to yours,
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/compare.aspx
you run this manualy once downladed and updated,the free version,
also try
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-gb/default.htm?s_cid=sah,
this doesnt stay on your computer but you download the tools to run it, its good ,
another one is
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-gb/default.htm?s_cid=sah also this doesnt stay on your computer after you use it, all these are safe to use, i highly recomend them,
if get success, try avast instead, then try get into safe mode to scan again with emisoft, some worms hide and multyply ,if thats happenning you will only get its clones in safe mode, good luck :xxgrinning--00xx3:
all these are free to use

Englishman2010
29th March 2011, 17:00
Is it worth doing a complete re-format and starting again with a nice clean hard drive? It's a good way of getting rid of any clutter that slows the machine down. Cleaning programmes are fine, but they never get rid of everything.

KeithD
29th March 2011, 19:32
Is it worth doing a complete re-format and starting again with a nice clean hard drive? It's a good way of getting rid of any clutter that slows the machine down. Cleaning programmes are fine, but they never get rid of everything.

:yikes::yikes::yikes: Rarely ever a need to do that :NoNo: Always a way of fixing it.