PDA

View Full Version : Yet more sham marriage arrests

Dedworth
29th March 2011, 08:41
More bacteria caught

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-12887327

A bride, groom and five wedding guests have been arrested in Leeds following a suspected sham marriage ceremony.

Good pictures here :-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1370763/Bride-groom-arrested-officials-raid-sham-wedding.html?ITO=1490

joebloggs
29th March 2011, 10:51
i think any non european marrying a non british european will probably alert UKBA :Erm:

this country must be a :icon_lol: laughingstock to these criminals :NoNo:

maybe UKBA should interview them all, if us brits after to apply for and pay for a visa so should europeans, that will reduce this fraud on a massive scale

Doc Alan
29th March 2011, 17:29
The Yorkshire Post made this their headline news today. It is understood the officers were acting on a tip-off from Leeds register office who thought the couple had hardly met before their "big day".
Recent cases have included a groom wearing a cheap suit with the price tag still attached, a bride who came down the aisle in leggings (she was cheating on her real husband, the couple's rings had been bought that morning from Argos for £32.98 and were taken to the service in a carrier bag), and a couple who needed an interpreter to exchange vows :yikes:.
No-one dared suggest that a Slovak woman might not be good at housework especially using the hoover :yikes:
It seems the circumstances are often farcical, which perhaps explains why reports of suspected sham marriages have risen by 66% in a year (source: Yorkshire Post), as wedding officials get wiser to the tactics illegal immigrants will use to stay in the country.

Dedworth
29th March 2011, 18:15
It seems the circumstances are often farcical, which perhaps explains why reports of suspected sham marriages have risen by 66% in a year (source: Yorkshire Post), as wedding officials get wiser to the tactics illegal immigrants will use to stay in the country.

:icon_lol: They are slow learners Doc. I recall talking at length with a Registrar in Jan 2006 and she told me the system was under incessant abuse and that it was worse in Anglican Churches !