PDA

View Full Version : wireless connection

stevewool
24th March 2011, 17:35
hi all just wondering if we take a laptop with us to the phils and hong kong, what is the best way and cheapest way of using it, i have read so many reports of the cost being so high, and to tell the truth i have no idea what and how it works,it will be a note book if that makes any differance, and dont be to tecknical either its me who is trying to sort this out and not emma:icon_lol:

keithAngel
24th March 2011, 17:40
If you hanging mostlly in the city,s theres plenty of free wi-fi in the malls bo,s coffee starbucks etc

A dongle is the other alternative if your moving from Smart (google it):xxgrinning--00xx3:

bornatbirth
24th March 2011, 17:47
you know how to check for wireless connections, wi-fi is the same, so where ever you are just scan for new connections and if your in a free wi-fi spot then you have internet access or you need a dongle :Erm:

unless your going to get free wi-fi, i won't bother :D

stevewool
24th March 2011, 17:48
thanks for the quick reply, but what concerns me is, when its here and working fine say on virgin, then we take it to the phils i dont want to be charged some stupid price, so buying a dongle over there and trying to either load it there sort of thing, if its down to me sod it but emma would like to take one on holiday , i could understand it if we was married years but its only a few months, is she bored already:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

bornatbirth
24th March 2011, 17:56
a dongle is just a like a usb stick that just plugs in, the cost of it depends on what you have and where you are and you should be able to use it anywhere.

its easy to use, pop into the carphone warehouse and pretend you want one :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
24th March 2011, 17:59
cheers me dears have to get emma with me my minds like a sieve when it comes to the laptop, switch on and switch off thats all i like to know
:xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
24th March 2011, 18:37
just a thought, how is security using a free wi fi spot?

stevewool
24th March 2011, 18:43
do you mean the guard standing behind us when using it:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

grahamw48
24th March 2011, 18:48
My boy just used his little PSP game thingy for wireless internet access in the Phils....as said above, if you're in a wireless hotspot you'll get a connection. :)

imagine
24th March 2011, 19:14
do you mean the guard standing behind us when using it:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

:laugher::laugher::laugher: could be :icon_lol: i meant internet security is it as safe as normal internet,

imagine
24th March 2011, 19:16
Try walking a mile in another man's shoes. After a mile - who cares ?
He's a mile away, and you've got his shoes.

and his athletes foot :laugher:

Dedworth
24th March 2011, 20:43
I had a SmartBro USB dongle over there - 2 years ago they weren't cheap (£20 plus I think) and there was a healthy 2nd hand market for them. Signal/Speed then was very patchy.

Doc Alan
24th March 2011, 20:57
Can't you persuade Emma not to take her netbook ? It's added expense and there's the risk of theft wherever you're going. Are you visiting her friends / relatives who may have a computer ? Hotels often have access to the internet which is admittedly not always free.
On my visit last May I had use of a friend's computer in Makati,
paid for internet access in a Cebu hotel, and either used an internet cafe (very cheap) or got free internet access in a hotel, when in Bohol. That allowed me to keep in touch with the forum, facebook, and contacts back in UK. With only 3 weeks in the Philippines there was no time, or need, to spend hours on the internet.

alanp
24th March 2011, 21:14
i took my laptop to phils last time i went got free wifi in the hotels where i stayed and at my jennies home
but when i went to go home it was not allowed to come with me. she said it was pointless me having two computers at my house when there is only me there.

JimOttley
24th March 2011, 22:35
SmartBro dongle is pretty cheap over there now, not sure of the exact price, the load cost is 10 peso for 30 minutes or 200 peso for 5 days UNLISURF (unlimited surfing).

Globe do a similar package.

Actualy just checked SmartBro pricing http://smart.com.ph/bro/products/prepaid/prepaid.htm

1245 peso including 5 days (120 hours) UNLISURF, so 1045 peso for the dongle say 15 quid and five days free use, 3 quid for another 5 days use.

Signal gets a bit ropey outside major metropolitan area's, signal varies throughout the day as it is massively oversold but you can get upwards of 400K transfer speeds on a good day it's pretty good.

malditako
24th March 2011, 22:56
normally hotels, coffee shop etc has a free wi-fi unless you'll go to a remote place in phils...in that case u need a usb internet stick

Englishman2010
24th March 2011, 23:06
Whenever I travel I always make use of free wifi in hotels, coffee shops, malls and fast food places either via my smartphone or laptop. That usually gives me enough free connection time to send and receive e-mails, check on various social networks and forums...etc. I don't worry too much about security as I'm not buying anything on line. However, I would be very wary about inputting any sensitive personal data or credit card details on an open public wireless network.
As the others have said, if you need more connection time and can't access wifi, a Smart or Globe internet dongle isn't that expensive

somebody
26th March 2011, 20:46
People meet Firesheep ( I will let you google) be very very careful of free wifi. If you do use try and ensure you have https access to the website (most of the popular sites are doing so now) possibly looking at running firefox addons which tell you where the server your accessing is located and forcing if possible the connection to https. but even then you may find you may for very popular sites end at a very convincing fake if very unlucky.

Just think even your webmail account if the user details are found how much damage that might do..

I'd be wary of taking a netbook/laptop if it can be helped. with out wanting to sound rude be careful of the extented family and friends. From experience there is always the temptation to borrow the laptop its ok she is with the white man with the money tree...

Prepaid dongles maybe your best bet while in phill and possibly you will then want to hand to a family member when you leave :)

Using the prepaid dongle is possibly a lot safer also than free wifi if unsure of the owner of the router

Also worth adding it maybe wise to have a look at what autoupdates and lookign at switching that off during the holiday. Even your anti virus may if it downloads every day on the dongle take up a lot of your coppers and you certainly dont want windows update to try and download for some reason 100mbs!!!

grahamw48
26th March 2011, 20:51
Good advice ! :xxgrinning--00xx3: