PDA

View Full Version : Hospital bosses admit 'some of our doctors can't speak or understand English'

KeithD
23rd March 2011, 01:24
The level of English among some foreign doctors is ‘absolutely awful’, hospital bosses have said.

Some cannot even speak well enough to communicate with patients, they warned.

Bosses at Queen’s Hospital in Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire, revealed the poor level of English in their doctors from overseas after complaints from both staff and patients.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1368380/Hospital-bosses-admit-doctors-speak-understand-English.html#ixzz1HNTsNU7i

Dedworth
23rd March 2011, 01:43
Very sloppy :cwm23:

Doc Alan
23rd March 2011, 08:26
If you search "Rogue Doctors" you will see my thread on this topic, in the "Rant" section, started last August.

joebloggs
23rd March 2011, 09:33
i don't believe it, numbers are really small
those who took their degree outside of the EU have to take IELTS Academic exam and pass each part with a 7, even if your a British citizen :D

most of those who speak :censored: English are those from the EU, not outside the EU. and they don't need to pass IELTS, its up to the local trust to decide if their English is at an acceptable level.

Doc Alan
23rd March 2011, 09:54
All of this has already been discussed on my Rogue Doctors thread :doh
Maybe it should all be merged under the "Health Issues" section because undoubtedly it is an important health issue.
Nothing much has changed for those whose memories or membership does not go beyond the 7 months since the topic was last discussed !

KeithD
23rd March 2011, 09:55
I thought they were talking about Geordie doctors :icon_lol:

joebloggs
23rd March 2011, 12:00
I thought they were talking about Geordie doctors :icon_lol:

and scouser ones, thats if there ever was one :Cuckoo:

:icon_lol:

Doc Alan
23rd March 2011, 12:18
and scouser ones, thats if there ever was one :Cuckoo:

:icon_lol:
They wouldn't pass the English test :NoNo:

joebloggs
23rd March 2011, 14:11
They wouldn't pass the English test :NoNo:

:xxgrinning--00xx3: they wouldn't pass any test :doh

Why wasn't Jesus born in Merseyside?

Couldn't find 3 wise men and a virgin :D

:xxparty-smiley-004:

Terpe
23rd March 2011, 14:19
This article appeared no 16th March, but I think it's relevant to this thread.

....It is now far easier for a nurse from the EU to work in an NHS hospital or care home than a British-trained one who may have stopped working for a few years to have children.

It's worth reading. Here is a small excerpt:-
Nurses trained in this country who haven’t worked for three years still have to pass the course, which can cost up to £1,000.
And those who qualified in countries outside the EU face strict tests on their skills – and must score at least 7 out of a possible 9 in an English exam.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1366620/Number-foreign-NHS-nurses-doubles-amid-fears-dont-know-language.html

joebloggs
23rd March 2011, 14:29
thats EU laws for you :laugher: no rules or regs :rolleyes: