PDA

View Full Version : Todays good news - Crackdown on Bogus Colleges

Dedworth
22nd March 2011, 19:15
http://news.bbc.co.uk/democracylive/hi/house_of_commons/newsid_9432000/9432388.stm

The government plans to cut the number of student visas issued to non-EU nationals by about 25%, Home Secretary Theresa May has announced.

Terpe
22nd March 2011, 19:34
Whereas I would support a 'Crackdown on Bogus Colleges'
I was not able to find any initiatives in the above news item and it's associated links.
Maybe I missed them.

I found lots of information about crackdowns on students applying for visa's.

In my view these bogus colleges are the instigators in attracting bogus students and awarding bogus diploma's.
I feel it would be more cost effective and fairer to close all bogus colleges right now, which would reduce visa applications.
Just my personal opinion. :)

Dedworth
22nd March 2011, 19:49
Whereas I would support a 'Crackdown on Bogus Colleges'
I was not able to find any initiatives in the above news item and it's associated links.
Maybe I missed them.

I found lots of information about crackdowns on students applying for visa's.

In my view these bogus colleges are the instigators in attracting bogus students and awarding bogus diploma's.
I feel it would be more cost effective and fairer to close all bogus colleges right now, which would reduce visa applications.

Hi ex smoker Terpe ! - it was my tabloid type interpretation of "bogus students would be prevented from studying meaningless courses at fake colleges" :D

Terpe
22nd March 2011, 19:53
Hi ex smoker Terpe ! - it was my tabloid type interpretation of "bogus students would be prevented from studying meaningless courses at fake colleges" :D

Dedworth, I wasn't having a pop at you. I just read through and didn't find what I was hoping to find.
I got a thing about this issue. :)

Dedworth
22nd March 2011, 19:57
Dedworth, I wasn't having a pop at you. I just read through and didn't find what I was hoping to find.

I know you weren't having a go T :) 11 weeks now isn't it ? :xxgrinning--00xx3:

keithAngel
22nd March 2011, 20:21
http://news.bbc.co.uk/democracylive/hi/house_of_commons/newsid_9432000/9432388.stm

The government plans to cut the number of student visas issued to non-EU nationals by about 25%, Home Secretary Theresa May has announced.

The number of non-EU students coming to the UK would fall by 70,000 to 80,000 annually, she predicted.

The Home Secretary might well benifit from a course in Mathematics at a proper colledge since she doesnt seem to have much of a grasp on the subject 25% of 150,000 is? :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
22nd March 2011, 20:37
The Home Secretary might well benifit from a course in Mathematics at a proper colledge since she doesnt seem to have much of a grasp on the subject 25% of 150,000 is? :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:D

I'm sure she'd be pleased to hear from you - mayt@parliament.gov.uk

She might join you at college when you are taking your spelling course. You can also give her an update of what's "not in your name"

Arthur Little
22nd March 2011, 20:57

And one I would entirely agree with, Terpe. As long as these bogus colleges continue to "slip through the net", *aspiring students from overseas are likely to be lulled - read scammed - into building up false hopes ... that will, inevitably, lead to tears of disappointment :bigcry: when *their hopes and visions of a brighter future are cruelly shattered. :angry:

Likewise ... and I can visualise the impact the introduction of this confounded 'English Language Test' is going to have in encouraging fake colleges to suddenly spring up out of nowhere. :cwm23:

KeithD
22nd March 2011, 22:18
I opened a college to help retarded people :xxgrinning--00xx3: ..... but I only ever got Mancs signing up :laugher:

keithAngel
23rd March 2011, 04:43
Likewise ... and I can visualise the impact the introduction of this confounded 'English Language Test' is going to have in encouraging fake colleges to suddenly spring up out of nowhere. :cwm23:

Yes but since they wont be in the UK wont benifit the "crack down" on immigration of student figuers:D

Dedworth
23rd March 2011, 11:47
From the UKBA site - this is the crackdown on the so called colleges. Sounds like they will have to be properly inspected and accredited so Mr Man can no longer open up one above his grocery shop

"From April 2012, any institution wanting to sponsor students will need to be classed as a Highly Trusted sponsor, and will need to become accredited by a statutory education inspection body by the end of 2012. The current system does not require this, and has allowed too many poor-quality colleges to become sponsors."

I don't know why they are giving them till Dec 12 though

Tawi2
23rd March 2011, 12:09
My mate drove a vanload of indian "Students" from Hatton Cross to a GPO sorting office in Woking last christmas,they were here studying at whats presumably a bogus college in Hounslow as they had all worked for the last 20 days without a break,the agency they worked for had a number of complaints as these guys were sorting mail and some of them couldnt even speak english:Erm:

Dedworth
23rd March 2011, 12:20
My mate drove a vanload of indian "Students" from Hatton Cross to a GPO sorting office in Woking last christmas,they were here studying at whats presumably a bogus college in Hounslow as they had all worked for the last 20 days without a break,the agency they worked for had a number of complaints as these guys were sorting mail and some of them couldnt even speak english:Erm:

So thats why my 1st Class Recorded Delivery package took 18 days over Christmas :D

Terpe
23rd March 2011, 12:33
So thats why my 1st Class Recorded Delivery package took 18 days over Christmas :D

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
23rd March 2011, 12:47
Could well be,the same group of "Students" were handing out water to passengers in Heathrow on christmas day and boxing day if I remember correctly:Erm: