PDA

View Full Version : marriage in philippines

chippy
31st May 2005, 17:34
please can someone advise me as im getting married in philippines in september and i have my british cni to take so when i get to cebu do i need to get another cni from british embassy or any other paper work and if i do have to get a cni from phills how long does it take to get it and how long after can we marry.

thanks

andypaul
31st May 2005, 23:08
Originally posted by chippy@May 31 2005, 05:34 PM
please can someone advise me as im getting married in philippines in september and i have my british cni to take so when i get to cebu do i need to get another cni from british embassy or any other paper work and if i do have to get a cni from phills how long does it take to get it and how long after can we marry.

thanks

Quoted post

Hi Chippy

Well you need to get CNI processed in the British Embassy in Manila, I went to the Embassy at eight and was Third in the queue for the Consular section.

Basically you need your British Passport and CNI explain at the Desk downstairs what you wish to do. If your Wife to be has several forms of ID, then she maybe able to come in with you. This would be helpful so she can see the layout of the Embassy.

Once you have your Badge you are shown to the lift where you go up to the 15th floor. Where you are searched by a guard and go though a metal detector, then you come to a desk where the receptioist asks if you have a Phone and why you are here. She will swap your phone for a ticket and direct you to the Consular office. You go though a turnstille and turn left though a door.

You enter the Waiting room time forgot, looks like a doctors waiting room from the Eighties. Make sure you walk up to the Counter and get a number and then get a comfy Seat as you may have a wait.

Luckily there were only two people in front of me who just required basic Paperwork or enquiries.

I passed the CNI over and she went away to do what she needed to do. Also don't forget to have the money and it helps if you have the Exact amount. It will slow you down if you don't as i think the woman had to go round the offices looking for change for me.

It took about 10 mintues or so for the Paperwork to be processed.

Then make your way out remebering to pick up your Phone if you hand it in.

Thats the Cni you need for showing to the Wedding Registrar in the Phillipines.

you then have to wait ten working days and then can Marry.

Do Make sure you have a Full Birth Certificate as you will need for Wedding.

chippy
1st June 2005, 02:25
Thanks very much andypaul i was worried how long it would take to get this paper work. we could of got it from cebu but the person we need to see in cebu is going on leave at the time i arrive in cebu. i will pass this on to my fiancee so she knows.

ginapeterb
8th June 2005, 10:28
Originally posted by chippy@Jun 1 2005, 01:25 AM
Thanks very much andypaul i was worried how long it would take to get this paper work. we could of got it from cebu but the person we need to see in cebu is going on leave at the time i arrive in cebu. i will pass this on to my fiancee so she knows.

Quoted post

Chippy, why bother doing all that, when you can avoid applying in person at the Brit Embassy under Marriage to Foreigners Act, just go locally where you live and obtain a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage cost uk30.00 this is covered in the Courting and Relationships Section.

Trust me..dont waste time doing this in the Philippines, you have enough trouble to contend with, with the Philippine Authorities, trust me, you aint seen nothing yet ?

Listen to those that have had the aggro of a lifetime.

walesrob
8th June 2005, 11:00
Originally posted by ginapeterb@Jun 8 2005, 09:28 AM
Chippy, why bother doing all that, when you can avoid applying in person at the Brit Embassy under Marriage to Foreigners Act, just go locally where you live and obtain a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage cost uk30.00 this is covered in the Courting and Relationships Section.

Trust me..dont waste time doing this in the Philippines, you have enough trouble to contend with, with the Philippine Authorities, trust me, you aint seen nothing yet ?

Listen to those that have had the aggro of a lifetime.

Quoted post

I also did that....at least you can change your CNI for a Legal Capacity on arrival in Manila, and avoid waiting 21 days. Dont forget that the tourist visa only last 21 days so you'd have to either extend or re-enter the country. Then following that theres the 10 day waiting period until marraige day (this can be shortened to 4, 5 or 6 days depending on how nice the local officals are!!).

As Pete said you will encounter enough hassle in Philippines, so get the CNI done in UK...

chippy
8th June 2005, 13:23
SORRY LADS IM A BIT CONFUSED HERE I HAVE ALREADY APPLIED FOR MY ENGLISH CNI FROM MY LOCAL REGISTRY OFFICE AND I FETCH THAT ON THE 25 OF JUNE. SO THEN DONT YOU HAVE TO TAKE IT TO MANILLA TO HAVE IT CHANGED FOR A PHILIPINE ONE SO IT CAN BE EXCEPTED FOR THERE REGISTRY OFFICE.

THANKS
MICK

walesrob
8th June 2005, 13:42
Originally posted by chippy@Jun 8 2005, 12:23 PM
SORRY LADS IM A BIT CONFUSED HERE I HAVE ALREADY APPLIED FOR MY ENGLISH CNI FROM MY LOCAL REGISTRY OFFICE AND I FETCH THAT ON THE 25 OF JUNE. SO THEN DONT YOU HAVE TO TAKE IT TO MANILLA TO HAVE IT CHANGED FOR A PHILIPINE ONE SO IT CAN BE EXCEPTED FOR THERE REGISTRY OFFICE.

THANKS
MICK

Quoted post

Mick,

If you have already applied for the CNI from your local registery office, and you will pick it up on June 25th, thats fine.

On arrival in Philippines, you must then take that CNI form to the Consular section of the British Embassy in Manila, between 8am - 4.30pm Mon-Thu or 8am - 2pm Friday. Make sure you head for the Consular section, not the Embassy as the Consular is never busy.

This link has the full information :

Consulate (http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1038489367803)

Once you change the CNI for a Legal Capacity, you must take it to the local town hall or registery office in Philippines where you intend to get married and apply for marraige licence - this takes 10 days after that you can marry any time you want - remember that the church wedding is more complicated and requires all correct documentation rather than the straight forward registry wedding.

Hope this helps, post back if you need further info.

Rob

chippy
8th June 2005, 13:59
THANKS MATE

im now clear on what i do im booked on a flight out in september i was going to get it changed in cebu but the person i need to see in going on leave so i have to fly to manilla instead.

andypaul
8th June 2005, 23:05
Umm bit confused myself as all i was sugesting to do was take the CNI you recieved from the UK registrar to the Embassy to swap for the approved version.

walesrob
9th June 2005, 16:17
Originally posted by andypaul@Jun 8 2005, 10:05 PM
Umm bit confused myself as all i was sugesting to do was take the CNI you recieved from the UK registrar to the Embassy to swap for the approved version.

Quoted post

I spoke to Mick via messenger and he understands what to do...He wanted to change his CNI in Cebu, and get married there also, but as I told him, the CNI must be exchanged for a Legal Capacity in Manila ONLY, then fly to the province and get married. Hope this clears things up!