PDA

View Full Version : Tsunami warning in PH After Japan Quake

Terpe
11th March 2011, 08:13
MANILA, Philippines – (UPDATE 2) The Philippines on Friday warned people living on its east coast to be on alert for the possibility of tsunamis after a major quake off Japan, the government's seismology agency said

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/nation/view/20110311-324761/Tsunami-warning-issued-in-PH-east-coast

Dedworth
11th March 2011, 09:24
I've just heard about this on the news, here's another link

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/215028/nation/japan-quake-prompts-tsunami-alert-in-19-phl-provinces

Terpe
11th March 2011, 09:30
I just now saw a tsunami in Japan rushing over the land. It's reported to be 10 m high and you can easily see cars and houses etc just mixed into the tsunami. Very scary stuff. It was reported that a tsunami emergency report was given about 1 hour before and this has saved thousands of people.

Also just reported that the potential tsunamai range has been increased to include Australia.
Impacts to Philippines are said to be significantly higher than initially estimated.

I hope that the Phils authorities get their act together very soon. I just hope

Sim11UK
11th March 2011, 09:34
This is serious stuff :NoNo:

Nick30
11th March 2011, 09:43
I'm so worried about my best friends family and friends over in the Phils.
My prayers are for the whole Asian countries.:NoNo:

Terpe
11th March 2011, 10:08
Just heard on BBC that there are very worrying concerns about the tsunami that is expected to hit Philippines ANY TIME NOW

No-one seems to know the impact or the force of the tsunami.

God Bless all there

stevie c
11th March 2011, 10:14
Very worrying indeed my thoughts & prayers are with all the people of the philippines & also all the other countries involved :NoNo:

sars_notd_virus
11th March 2011, 10:35
Tsunami warning in PH After Japan Quake

It worries me a lot!!! being located in the Pacific Ring of Fire ,Philippines is prone and vulnerable to damages inflicted by tsunami.
hoping its NOT gonna happen.

Terpe
11th March 2011, 10:45
Tsunami warning in PH After Japan Quake

It worries me a lot!!! being located in the Pacific Ring of Fire ,Philippines is prone and vulnerable to damages inflicted by tsunami.
hoping its NOT gonna happen.

Sorry to say sars, but this tsunami IS gonna happen very soon today. Just how big or small is unknown.
We can only offer prayers at the moment.

KeithD
11th March 2011, 10:46
For those of you who want to check out earthquakes use the Google Earth plugin http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/kml.php (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/kml.php)
Nuclear emergency now.......

fred
11th March 2011, 10:46
Been looking everywhere but cant find my wellies.:yikes:

Dedworth
11th March 2011, 10:48
Looking at this they ordered evacuation of low lying areas in parts of Albay nearly 2 hours ago 4pm local time

http://joeyssalceda.wordpress.com/2011/03/11/albay-pdrrmc-tsunami-advisory-2/

sars_notd_virus
11th March 2011, 11:06
Sorry to say sars, but this tsunami IS gonna happen very soon today. Just how big or small is unknown.
We can only offer prayers at the moment.

thanks Peter,I agree only prayers can move mountains now...My country can never be ready in any natural and man-made disaster..even how much evacuation theres still a lot of natives/people staying where they are and waiting for it to happen.

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/215050/nation/bracing-for-tsunamis-filipinos-start-fleeing-from-homes

KeithD
11th March 2011, 11:13
I don't think the Northern Phil will be hit, as Taiwan was missed, probably due to the angle to the quake.

mikey73
11th March 2011, 11:23
the pictures on the bbc news are truely shocking, my thoughts go out to everyone in the affected areas.

KeithD
11th March 2011, 11:47
M 5.0, Mindoro, Philippines

Date:Thursday, March 10, 2011 19:06:10 UTC
Friday, March 11, 2011 03:06:10 AM at epicenterDepth:127.00 km (78.91 mi)

keithAngel
11th March 2011, 12:41
MANILA, Philippines (UPDATE 3) - President Benigno "Noynoy" Aquino III on Friday ordered the mandatory evacuation of residents in coastal areas in 19 provinces expected to be affected by tsunami waves.
Presidential Spokesman Edwin Lacierda said the first tidal wave is expected to hit Batanes Group of Islands at 5:46 p.m. and will affect Cagayan, Ilocos Norte and Isabela.
Residents living in coastal areas fronting the Pacific Ocean of the following provinces were also ordered to seek higher ground.

Cagayan

northernmost areas of Ilocos Norte

Isabela

Quezon

Aurora

Camarines Norte

Camarines Sur

Albay

Catanduanes

Sorsogon

Northern Samar

Eastern Samar

Leyte

Southern Leyte

Surigao del Norte

Surigao del Sur

Davao Oriental

Davao del Sur

The President asked the public to remain calm and coordinate with government agencies for the evacuation. "Huminahon po sana ang ating mga kababayan," he said.
Bartolome Bautista, deputy director of the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology official, said the latest wave models showed that tidal waves to hit the country would be about a meter high or less.
"It is not damaging, not dangerous as long as you follow precautionary measures. Do not go near the beaches. One-meter waves can still be dangerous if you don't know how to swim," he said.
He also noted that the first wave is not necessarily the largest. "A tsunami is a series of waves. The 1st wave not always largest wave . Succeeding waves may be bigger and stronger," he said.
He added that he expects the waves to weaken after 7 p.m.
Phivolcs Director Renato Solidum earlier said tsunami waves measuring 1-meter high could hit the eastern coast of the country between 5 pm and 7 pm.
Tsunami alert level 2 was raised in the 19 provinces fronting the Pacific Ocean, he said.
"All residents living near the shoreline are ordered to evacuate and seek higher ground. You have to leave the shoreline because the tsunami could reach up to 1 meter, which is about shoulder high," he told radio dzMM.
Secretary Jesse Robredo of the Department of the Interior and Local Government said people living 10-40 meters from the shoreline of the 19 provinces should evacuate. He said the first wave is expected to hit Batanes Group of Islands at around 5:30 p.m. while tsunami waves could hit Ilocos and Cagayan area later.
Phivolcs said residents in the 19 provinces should be on alert for unusual waves.
"Based on tsunami wave models and early tide gauge records of the tsunami in the Pacific, coastal areas in Philippine provinces fronting the tsunami waves will arrive between 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM March 11, 2011 Philippine time and may not always be the largest," the warning said.
"These waves may continue for hours," it added.
Phivolcs said people are advised to stay away from the shoreline during this period. People should not go to the coast to watch the tsunami.
Owners of boats in harbors, estuaries or shallow coastal water of the above-mentioned provinces should secure their boats and move away from the waterfront. Boats already at sea during this period should stay offshore in deep waters until further advised.

Albay Gov. Joey Salceda said he has suspended classes on all levels in the province and instructed the public not to panic.
Two flights going to Narita, Japan have been put on hold after a massive 8.9 magnitude quake hit Japan Friday afternoon. The flights are Japan Airlines JAL 742 and Philippine Airlines PAL PR432.

fred
11th March 2011, 13:53
Not even a ripple here..
Looks like its off to Hawaii and California??
Found my wellies though....and rubber ring.

South-east boy
11th March 2011, 14:04
Not even a ripple here..
Looks like its off to Hawaii and California??
Found my wellies though....and rubber ring.

All areas unaffected? Hope so. They said it would be between 5-7pm and it's now 9pm and still not seen any reports about it.

fred
11th March 2011, 14:18
All areas unaffected?

Yes..
Images on ABS CBN earlier of 10 to a trycycle heading for the hills,fishermen carrying fishing boats,idiots with surf boards etc..All for nothing.:angry:

joebloggs
11th March 2011, 14:22
1318: A tweet from the Official Gazette of the Republic of the Philippines: "From the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council: Waves did not cause any damage to persons or property."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

fred
11th March 2011, 15:41
A tweet from the Official Gazette of the Republic of the Philippines:

So a little bird told you then?

purple
11th March 2011, 16:04
I believe that Philippines will not be hit by tsunami...though it is at great risk because of its geographical location. I'm just keeping my positive spirits up.:):)

fred
11th March 2011, 16:09
We are fine here in Bohol Purple!! The brave people of Samar and Leyte shield our island.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Anakin
11th March 2011, 16:46
anyone know how Siargao Island fared?
Got a very good friend who lives there...

Dr Graham
11th March 2011, 17:01
It's good that we can all joke about it. It helps to relieve the stress.

All my Friends and Family in Phil' live on the West Coast and so escape from most of the Natural Disaster Threats.

Compared Nature's Arsenal of Typhoons, Tsunamis, Earthquakes & Volcanic Eruptions, their primary fear, of an RPG from the MILF seems hardly worth worrying about !

gWaPito
11th March 2011, 18:09
Nothing going on in Sorsogon as well.
L ooks like another precautionary state of panic.

KeithD
11th March 2011, 18:46
The waves hit parts of California now and trashed quite a number of boats in the marina. ...... the tsunamis will go on for hours.

Terpe
11th March 2011, 18:48
It seems there has been no major long distance tsunami and Phils is out of danger.
Thanks God.

I don't know if anyone saw the filming of the tsunami in Japan ? It was truly horrific.
Hope all my friends are safe and well. can't make any telephone call. Have quite a few friends in Sendai.

Ako Si Jamie
11th March 2011, 21:11
Did the tsunami in Thailand effect the Phils at all?

KeithD
11th March 2011, 21:14
Did the tsunami in Thailand effect the Phils at all?

No

keithAngel
12th March 2011, 06:09
My feet are still dry:xxgrinning--00xx3: