PDA

View Full Version : Home wi-fi '30% slower' than fixed broadband

KeithD
10th March 2011, 12:53
I've known about this for years, as you get so much package loss on wi-fi due to interference from tv's, fridges, etc, which is why I instructed Rayna to use cable whenever possible.

People relying on home wi-fi are getting significantly slower speeds than from their fixed broadband connection, research suggests.

The study ran one million tests over 14,000 wi-fi connections in the UK, US, Spain and Italy.

On average, the results showed a 30% drop-off compared to the speed coming into the home.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12688839

joebloggs
10th March 2011, 14:22
for downloading i always use cat5, wireless is for the misses and kids :D

:xxparty-smiley-004:

Dr Graham
10th March 2011, 15:23
Most "modern" Laptops and some Desktops have built in Wireless Networking to the "G" standard. Most Wi-Fi Routers supplied as part of a Wireless Broadband Bundle by Internet Providers, and Affordable Wireless Routers you can purchase if you want to convert your own "Fixed" Broadband to a Wi-Fi, are also "G" Standard.

The G Standard works at 54Mb/sec.

Most of the Computers mentioned above will have a Built In Network Port that you can connect to via a Cat5E Cable. These prts willaost certaily work at a MIIMUMof 100Mb/sec ...... TWICE the speed of G Standard Wi-Fi.

Really Modern Laptops, and some Desktops now have N or N+ Standard Wi-Fi Facilties, and provided that you have an "N" Class Router, these can run at 150Mb/sec. That roughly THREE TIMES FASTER than the majority of Home Wi-Fi Systems, and 50% Faster than a "Common" Wired Network.

But NO TECHNOLOGY on this Planet advances as fast as Computer Technology, and now you can find Computers with 1,000Mb/sec Wired Network Ports !

Cabled Systems have always been FASTER than Wireless Ones, and I'm sure that it won't be long before FIBRE OPTIC Network Ports appear, running at least TEN or a HUNDRED TIMES FASTER than current Copper Wired sytems.

A Cabled System will ALWAYS provide Greater Security than a Wireless one, because it doesn't just DEPEND upon Passwords and Encryption. You have to make an actual physical connection.
Also Cabled System are FAR LESS LIKELY to suffer from Interference from other signals nearby. Wi-Fi Systems are clever and can correct errors, but this often results in Data Packets needig to be re-sent, which ultimately REDUCES the Overall Speed

Dr Graham
10th March 2011, 15:29
SORRY about all the MISSING CHARACTERS in my last message.
I have a Wi-Fi Problem with my new N Class Router that requires me to type VERY SLOWLY, or lots of the characters that I type, fail to appear in On-Line Documents.

Dedworth
10th March 2011, 16:42
30% ? My set up is

PC Ethernet Cable to router Download 4.95mps, Upload 0.94mps, Ping 75ms
Laptop Wireless on another floor Download 4.77mps, Upload 0.98mps, Ping 54ms

Englishman2010
10th March 2011, 18:38
I get between 13 and 16 mbps on cat5 and anything between 0 and 8 mbps on wifi at my kitchen table. I've put that down to interference from the fridge, kettle, my mobile phone...etc. When I first switched to Talktalk, I was getting disconnected up to 20 times a day, but I haven't had many problems over the last couple of months. Atmospheric conditions (high pressure) also seem to have a negative effect on my wifi.

KeithD
10th March 2011, 18:40
I find mine drops to 0% when I'm in the bath ..... although that maybe due to the laptop shorting out :rolleyes:

Englishman2010
10th March 2011, 18:49
I find mine drops to 0% when I'm in the bath ..... although that maybe due to the laptop shorting out :rolleyes:

Try putting an electric fire in the bath with you and your laptop, it will be fine then:D

KeithD
10th March 2011, 19:37
For people who no longer want to live!!!! :yikes:

somebody
12th March 2011, 16:14
I guess depends on the Encryption your using also does have an effect and cordless landlines micorwaves and of course other routers transmitter on similar wifi channels can affect a Signal.

Another thing most people and companies forget is to actually think about the aerial and its actual broadcast is ommidirectional or unidirectional?

How many times do you see a router in the corner of the room with a aerial set up to broadcast all around it rather than targeting the signal towards the users:doh In most places this is just making the signal more efficient, but what if your children slept in the room next door would you want to ensure as little signal was directed to wards them as possible?

Also people equate putting the signal to full power (most decent routers allow you to adjust the output power) to a better signal but not often the case. Often you dont even require 50 percent of the power if its just in the one room or so and once you do that neighbouring wirless routers start to fight to broadcast to their clients.
If you can reduce the power of course it may mean less radio waves affecting you and your family as well:)
We only use 6% percent of available power on our router makes a massive difference to the energy expended also ensuring the router does not generate as much heat (wasted electricity). Also if we turned up to full power its broadcasting to not just the first set of neighbours but the 2nd and almost the third can get a signal..

So of course if your not broadcasting outside of the area you wish it to then its likely that no one can pick up your signal or at least not very easily..

As Dedworth writes you can get a decent signal if the broadcast is strong and as Doctor G says packets are not lost so often and then requested again.

I am amazed how rubbish some of the standard routers sent out by internet providers rarely do they seem to have an aerial which can be adjusted and some have a dumbed down settings section:doh
Some people belive they need to use the ip provided router but rarely is that the case see if you can save a few quid on your broadband deal and buy your own and possible by a external aerial which may cost you some money but may improve performance, data security and of course improve health and safety if it gives you the chance to direct and adjust the signal.