PDA

View Full Version : No Smoking Day 9th March 2011!

Terpe
8th March 2011, 14:45
Yes it's No Smoking Day on 9th March 2011!

Well you all must have expected me to post this. :)

C'mon, I know there still some members out there who continue with the weed :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Look here:-
http://www.nosmokingday.org.uk/organisers/getinvolved.php?status=services

I have to let you into a secret ....... I going on a diet:doh
My trousers don't fit me anymore :bigcry:

imagine
9th March 2011, 01:28
a happy no smoking day to you

Arthur Little
9th March 2011, 02:16
a happy no smoking day to you

... and to you, Stewart! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Now - more importantly - where the hell did I put my pipe? :rolleyes:

grahamw48
9th March 2011, 17:37
Oops...too late. :rolleyes:

mickcant
9th March 2011, 19:12
To give support, I can promise that I will not smoke that day:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Mind you the one and only time I did try one was in 1959:Cuckoo:
Mick.:)

Dedworth
9th March 2011, 23:53
A couple of observations. Interestingly the Govt announced today restrictions on tobacco displays - all good stuff as far as I'm concerned if it can hide the temptation - detail here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12680815

I was surprised to learn on BBC 6 O'Clock news tonight that 20% of adults smoke - they did a feature on Blackpool where 35% of adults smoke - theory being its a deprived area but maybe the state funds their addiction like this pond life here

Judge's fury at 'sponging' alcoholic who claims incapacity benefit because 'addiction makes him unable to work'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1364458/Judge-John-Walfords-fury-benefits-sponging-alcoholic-Stanley-Clifton.html#ixzz1G962jSvH

imagine
10th March 2011, 00:03
A couple of observations. Interestingly the Govt announced today restrictions on tobacco displays - all good stuff as far as I'm concerned if it can hide the temptation - detail here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12680815

I was surprised to learn on BBC 6 O'Clock news tonight that 20% of adults smoke - they did a feature on Blackpool where 35% of adults smoke - theory being its a deprived area but maybe the state funds their addiction like this pond life here

Judge's fury at 'sponging' alcoholic who claims incapacity benefit because 'addiction makes him unable to work'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1364458/Judge-John-Walfords-fury-benefits-sponging-alcoholic-Stanley-Clifton.html#ixzz1G962jSvH

as an x smoker, those shop counter cig displays were my worst nightmare in the early stages of stopping smoking, i dare not go in the shop, i knew to face that counter i would break out in hot and cold sweats, the temptation was too great for my addiction , like many times before i tried to give up, i crumbled at the checkout,

in a way i guess the state does fund the bennefit claiments smoking, but remember this a smoker will go without food before going without a cig, now thats the addiction

Dedworth
10th March 2011, 09:06
This programme is interesting :-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00zftc4/Panorama_Smoking_and_the_Bandits/

Panorama investigates the world of the criminal tobacco trade. Sam Poling reveals that more than half of all hand-rolled tobacco in the country is now counterfeit or smuggled.

Doc Alan
10th March 2011, 10:14
Congratulations Terpe :xxgrinning--00xx3: Modest weight gain is less harmful to health than continuing smoking.
It's hard to know the exact numbers of smokers in the UK or the Philippines because as smoking becomes less acceptable, people are not so inclined to admit how much they smoke. However it's probably at least a fifth of the adult population in both countries. It also seems that only 2 in 3 smokers want to stop smoking.
Whatever the true figures, there's no room for complacency :NoNo: Smoking is still the biggest single cause of cancer in the world. But almost everyone knows it's not good for your health :doh. Scare tactics, threats and lectures from doctors are of limited use. I accept that many people - including friends and relatives - don't wish to stop smoking. A teenager interviewed on the news about the proposal to put cigarettes in plain wrapping said that would encourage her to smoke because "They're telling us not to!" - she may be misguided but she's not alone :NoNo:.
Nicotine is a drug of addiction. Willpower and determination are vital for those who wish to give up. Well done to all the ex-smoking members of the forum for encouraging others to stop :).

Arthur Little
10th March 2011, 14:19
Based on what I've gleaned from this ... and previous threads on the topic :rolleyes: ... it seems to me that the number of MALE members who ADMIT to being [ongoing] smokers is relatively small. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

mickcant
10th March 2011, 15:10
Based on what I've gleaned from this ... and previous threads on the topic :rolleyes: ... it seems to me that the number of MALE members who ADMIT to being [ongoing] smokers is relatively small. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

You have somthing there Arthur, many years ago I met a woman on a dating site, I had put in my profile that I was a non smoker who only wanted to meet non smokers, we got on ok online and phoning, them met for a meal, after eating she pulled a packet of fags out and said she liked one after a meal!:crazy:

That was the end of that possible relationship:doh

Dedworth
10th March 2011, 17:00

Watch where you buy your pipe baccy Arthur - the crims selling the counterfeit tobacco on the Panorama programme were all operating in Scottish markets !

When tested it had 30 times the lead content of legit tobacco.

Arthur Little
10th March 2011, 17:02
You have somthing there Arthur, many years ago I met a woman on a dating site, I had put in my profile that I was a non smoker who only wanted to meet non smokers, we got on ok online and phoning, them met for a meal, after eating she pulled a packet of fags out and said she liked one after a meal!:crazy:

That was the end of that possible relationship:doh

:xxgrinning--00xx3: ... "Snap", Mick! I once had the same experience.

Arthur Little
10th March 2011, 17:10
Watch where you buy your pipe baccy Arthur - the crims selling the counterfeit tobacco on the Panorama programme were all operating in Scottish markets !

When tested it had 30 times the lead content of legit tobacco.

Yes ... I saw that particular programme ... it was repeated last night.

No worries on that score, though :NoNo: ... I buy 50g of 'Condor Blended' from Tesco, roughly once a fortnight!

grahamw48
10th March 2011, 21:46
I pay through the nose and blow out through the mouth, only 10 a day now though. :rolleyes:

Cluver
13th May 2011, 07:25
It is good step to aware the people about the side effects of the smoking in that day.
We should appreciate step like these to the better health of the people.

Channing
20th May 2011, 12:06
Hello there persons I also want to say that smoking is much bad habit and can cause the much danger one disease like cancer..... So always avoid the smoking and save your life......

mickcant
20th May 2011, 12:31
I have never smoked, but am still short of money:omg::icon_sorry::cwm23::crazy::xxgrinning--00xx3: