PDA

View Full Version : UK '2nd Most Popular Country'

Arthur Little
7th March 2011, 12:44
According to a BBC World Service Opinion Poll, positive views of the United Kingdom have risen ... making :Britain: the second most popular country globally.

I won't bore anyone here with statistics :nono-1-1: ... suffice to say, it's the first time we've become "runners-up" in the annual popularity stakes - in this case to Germany - which is rated as being the most positive nation overall. :ReadIt:

Hmm ... our leaders evidently must be doing something worthwhile :rolleyes: - little wonder so many "asylum seekers" want to :Jump: on the band wagon - or [more accurately] the back of a cross-channel freight container!

Dedworth
7th March 2011, 13:05
The words "Soft Touch" spring immediately to mind

Arthur Little
7th March 2011, 13:11
The words "Soft Touch" spring immediately to mind

Precisely ... :iagree:!

bornatbirth
7th March 2011, 13:18
dont you get tired of it :Erm:

Englishman2010
7th March 2011, 13:18
Any ideas what the German benefits and immigration systems are like?

bornatbirth
7th March 2011, 13:20

if hitler was still around...i know what it would be :icon_lol:

imagine
7th March 2011, 13:23
if hitler was still around...i know what it would be :icon_lol:

gastronomical bennefits i would think :laugher:

Arthur Little
7th March 2011, 13:32

gastronomical bennefits i would think :laugher:

Hmm ... would need an element of "concentration" ... :rolleyes: ... I should think!

imagine
7th March 2011, 13:34
Hmm ... would need an element of "concentration" ... :rolleyes: ... I should think!

another bennefit ,,,, zero unemployment

Arthur Little
7th March 2011, 13:40
another bennefit ,,,, zero unemployment

That's true ... I'd imagine there'd be ample job opportunities for gas workers ... :cwm24:

Arthur Little
7th March 2011, 13:42
... or "chamber" maids!! :omg:

Dedworth
7th March 2011, 13:48

Unlike the UK they don't roll out the red carpet and welcome to so called "asylum seekers".

In the true spirit of European Integration the German and Austrian Labour markets are verboten until a couple of months time to the Eastern European Nations who joined the expanded EU in 2004. Not sure where they stand on the Feral Nations of Bulgaria and Romania but I suspect they won't tolerate them

imagine
7th March 2011, 14:03
... or "chamber" maids!! :omg:

and the undertaker

KeithD
7th March 2011, 16:25
Unlike the UK they don't roll out the red carpet and welcome to so called "asylum seekers".

:Erm: Actually, Germany has more asylum seekers than the UK. Official EU stats http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=STAT/10/64&format=PDF&aged=1&language=EN&guiLanguage=en

Englishman2010
7th March 2011, 16:47
:Erm: Actually, Germany has more asylum seekers than the UK. Official EU stats http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=STAT/10/64&format=PDF&aged=1&language=EN&guiLanguage=en

That's what I thought. I was in Frankfurt a few yrs ago, and there seemed to be a very high population of Turks, Iranians, Iraqi's and Africans. It's very similar in Copenhagen and Amsterdam too. Italy, France, Belgium and Sweden have growing non indiginous populations too. Whatever we think about the UK being a magnet for refugees, I don't think it's any worse than any other major western European country.

fred
7th March 2011, 16:59

Perhaps thats the reason why the UK is 2nd less popular?
Personally.I dont find the Jewish war jokes that amusing!! :NoNo:

Arthur Little
7th March 2011, 17:48
Personally.I dont find the Jewish war jokes that amusing!! :NoNo:

:icon_sorry: ... apologies!!! But ... rest assured, 'twas primarily intended as a means of taking an :xxangry-smiley-038: "swipe" at wartime practices connected with [Nazi] Germany ... rather than anything else.

Dedworth
7th March 2011, 17:50

Only about a thousand more yet Germany's population is 33% greater than ours . Strange how the lot pitching up in the UK pass through the likes of Germany and France without jumping off the truck there

Englishman2010
7th March 2011, 17:56
Only about a thousand more yet Germany's population is 33% greater than ours . Strange how the lot pitching up in the UK pass through the likes of Germany and France without jumping off the truck there

Let's not forget that the rich West Germany adopted a further 20 million or so poor East Germans when it re-unified. West Germany's population was roughly the same as the UK's pre re-unification. I would guess that the majority of immigrants into Germany have gone to the more prosperous western cities?

Dedworth
7th March 2011, 18:39
Let's not forget that the rich West Germany adopted a further 20 million or so poor East Germans when it re-unified. West Germany's population was roughly the same as the UK's pre re-unification. I would guess that the majority of immigrants into Germany have gone to the more prosperous western cities?

Time flies though - reunification was in 1990 14 years before these E Europeans were admitted to the EU and IIRC only Britain and Ireland were the mugs who allowed their workers in immediately. No surprise that it was the Labour Govt who in the push for multiculturalism/votes in 2004 lied to the nation predicting 15000 a year would come - by July 2006 447000 had turned up putting untold pressure on housing, law enforcement, education etc

Englishman2010
7th March 2011, 18:55
Time flies though - reunification was in 1990 14 years before these E Europeans were admitted to the EU and IIRC only Britain and Ireland were the mugs who allowed their workers in immediately. No surprise that it was the Labour Govt who in the push for multiculturalism/votes in 2004 lied to the nation predicting 15000 a year would come - by July 2006 447000 had turned up putting untold pressure on housing, law enforcement, education etc

At the time I can remember Brown using the argument that we need more workers in the UK to pay NI & Tax to help support the pension payments of an ever ageing population. It might have worked had any of these new entrants actually worked in the real economy and paid tax and NI:doh.
If he wanted more tax and NI payments, it would have actually been far simpler to have cut the benefits of the lazy 16 - 24 yr old dole scroungers and made them work and contribute to society.

Dedworth
7th March 2011, 19:08
At the time I can remember Brown using the argument that we need more workers in the UK to pay NI & Tax to help support the pension payments of an ever ageing population. It might have worked had any of these new entrants actually worked in the real economy and paid tax and NI:doh.
If he wanted more tax and NI payments, it would have actually been far simpler to have cut the benefits of the lazy 16 - 24 yr old dole scroungers and made them work and contribute to society.

I think you are right, also he forgot to mention the negative outflow of child benefit and family tax credits heading out to E Europe for the mothers annd kiddies remaining there :angry:

Englishman2010
7th March 2011, 19:16
I think you are right, also he forgot to mention the negative outflow of child benefit and family tax credits heading out to E Europoe for the mothers annd kiddies remaining there :angry:

He naiively thought that they were honest and would make a positive contribution to our economy:doh

Makes me wish I'd invested in a Western Union franchise a few years ago

KeithD
7th March 2011, 20:48
Makes me wish I'd invested in a Western Union franchise a few years ago

Just send $1000 to my anonymous Western Union account and I can .... erm.... help you with that :rolleyes:

Englishman2010
7th March 2011, 20:57
Just send $1000 to my anonymous Western Union account and I can .... erm.... help you with that :rolleyes:

No problem Keith, but don't forget my 10% handling fee for the transaction, plus the skim I'm going to take on the exchange rate. So give me £1000 GBP and I'll send you a $1000 USD:xxgrinning--00xx3:

keithAngel
8th March 2011, 02:35

Glad to see the refutation with facts doesnt affect your ability to post the next gem.

Being an Island and close to France most do in fact end up there :doh

keithAngel
8th March 2011, 02:45
Its also a great pity to take a positive opinion of our standing in the world and use it to be negative about folk who in fact didnt contribute to that view

UK 'second most popular country Press Association, Monday March 7 2011

The BBC World Service Country Rating Poll asked nearly 29,000 people to rate the global influence of 16 major nations and the European Union

Negative views of the UK decreased by 2%, now standing at 17%. Of the 27 countries polled, 24 lean positive towards the UK while two, Pakistan and Mexico, have overall negative views of the UK. One country, Turkey, remains divided.

Those with the most positive views of the UK were the US, at 80%, followed by Australia at 79% and Canada at 69%.
Germany was the most positively viewed nation overall, with 63% of those surveyed rating its influence as positive :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
8th March 2011, 09:27
Glad to see the refutation with facts doesnt affect your ability to post the next gem.

Being an Island and close to France most do in fact end up there :doh

And allowed by the French authorities to remain in Calais making untold attempts until they succeed in getting across in the back of a lorry

Arthur Little
8th March 2011, 13:44
Guys :rolleyes: ... I think we may be straying :icon_offtopic: [myself included!]; let's be thankful we are part of this great nation :Britain: ... "warts and all"!!! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

keithAngel
8th March 2011, 16:10
And allowed by the French authorities to remain in Calais making untold attempts until they succeed in getting across in the back of a lorry

The French to be fair are very sad to be shown our anglophile preference by the guys awaiting entry must be very Gaulling:icon_lol:

nigel
8th March 2011, 20:09
I wish you people would stop knocking (so called..) Asylum Seekers.. they're entitled to live here as much as we are..

We don't really believe that we 'own' this country do we?:yikes: It's not a belief I hold..:)

Dedworth
8th March 2011, 21:09
I wish you people would stop knocking (so called..) Asylum Seekers.. they're entitled to live here as much as we are..

We don't really believe that we 'own' this country do we?:yikes: It's not a belief I hold..:)

:laugher:

Your beliefs are admirable. Not sure if they would be much use if a family of criminals from Outer Karzistan moved in next door and started using your front garden as a toilet.

Arthur Little
9th March 2011, 01:40
Asylum Seekers.. they're entitled to live here as much as we are..

:poke: ... only if they pay their way (like everyone else should be doing!) once they ARE here, Nigel.

We don't really believe that we 'own' this country do we? :yikes: It's not a belief I hold..:)

Nigel ... whilst :iagree: we don't OWN *"our country" - as SUCH - those of us who've lived here all our lives - and contributed to *its upkeep by paying taxes, National Insurance stamps, &c. ... not to mention electing its politicians - OUGHT to have a say in how it's run. We should NOT be expected to fork out even more of our hard-earned cash in order to subsidise people who come here illegally - on the pretext of calling themselves "asylum seekers" [as many do!!!] - and scrounge off the 'Welfare State' our forefathers fought relentlessly helping to create.

imagine
9th March 2011, 01:46
:poke: ... only if they pay their way (like everyone else should be doing!) once they ARE here, Nigel.

Nigel ... whilst :iagree: we don't OWN *"our country" - as SUCH - those of us who've lived here all our lives - and contributed to *its upkeep by paying taxes, National Insurance stamps and electing its politicians - OUGHT to have a say in how it's run. We should NOT be expected to fork out even more of our hard-earned cash in order to subsidise people who come here illegally - on the pretence of calling themselves "asylum seekers" [as many do!!! - and scrounge off the 'Welfare State' our forefathers fought relentlessly to create.

:iagree:

keithAngel
9th March 2011, 02:44
My forebears never envisaged in their conversations with me any sugesstion that their "relentless" struggle should be limited to people who were born on these Islands

To be clear

1) The authorities are responcible to translate the wishes of the electorate if they dont they can be replaced if none will revolution is required or relocating to a place that more suits your requirements

2) Anyone under curent legislation is free to claim asylum and have their case heard fairly

3)Criminals no matter their origion are subject to prosecution and punishment (see 1.):xxgrinning--00xx3:

Manila_Paul
9th March 2011, 10:31

I would say the bigger problem with this was that immigrants tend to have kids and get old too.... what then?

As for EU workers in the black market, the numbers are/were tiny. We had record employment at one point because of the extra jobs the migrants from the EU were filling. All paying taxes and NI too. And really, no one is coming to the UK for our benefits. We have one of the meanest systems in Europe and now it is being cut even further. And you have to have worked and paid tax here for a year before you can claim. The major attraction for migrants remains that we are an English speaking country. And English is the world's lingua franca.

nigel
9th March 2011, 22:03
Oh guys! All this talk of problems... our only real problem is we don't love each other as we should! :luv4:

bornatbirth
9th March 2011, 22:08
if you dont mind...i will stick to just loving my wife :icon_lol: