PDA

View Full Version : £38,000 Per Prisoner!!

KeithD
6th March 2011, 10:23
So according to our government over the years, it has cost over £35,000 to keep a prisoner in jail, with that figure being £38,000 in the last financial year. :Erm:

That's £104 a day each. How does this price breakdown then? Aren't they supposed to clean (clothes,bedding,mopping,etc) and cook themselves? Do work that brings in income/wages? Prison guards per person costs only a few quid a day, £2 (if that) for electric electric...... so .... erm ... :Erm: .... what does the rest go on?

It costs a decent wad to put them through the courts, but that isn't included in this figure, and we need more fast track courts.

johncar54
6th March 2011, 10:46
Quote from The Joseph Roundtree Foundation for 2007.:-

The estimated annual cost of imprisonment rises from 37,500 pounds to 49,200 pounds per prisoner when the costs to inmates' families and wider society are taken into account, according to researchers at King's College, London

KeithD
6th March 2011, 10:50
That's no more info than the governmenr gives out, and doesn't answer the question, where do the costs come from? What the hell is a 'wider society' cost? And why has that got anything to do with keeping someone in accomodation they are not allowed out of?

johncar54
6th March 2011, 11:06
I have searched on the internet but can't find the answer to where the money goes.

If I lived in UK, or even had a vote there, I would ask my MP, but as I don't (although I still pay taxes there) I have no channel to an MP. Perhaps someone in UK will ask.

KeithD
6th March 2011, 11:24
I'd doubt an MP would know they aren't much good with money:laugher:

imagine
6th March 2011, 11:33
So according to our government over the years, it has cost over £35,000 to keep a prisoner in jail, with that figure being £38,000 in the last financial year. :Erm:

That's £104 a day each. How does this price breakdown then? Aren't they supposed to clean (clothes,bedding,mopping,etc) and cook themselves? Do work that brings in income/wages? Prison guards per person costs only a few quid a day, £2 (if that) for electric electric...... so .... erm ... :Erm: .... what does the rest go on?

It costs a decent wad to put them through the courts, but that isn't included in this figure, and we need more fast track courts.

theres the colour tv,s, and tv licence , they got to be paid for:doh

johncar54
6th March 2011, 11:50
I'd doubt an MP would know they aren't much good with money:laugher:

But they can ask and they have the clout to get the answer.

I Believe that under the Freedom of Information Act, so can any voter.

KeithD
6th March 2011, 12:31
Yeah, I know that John :xxgrinning--00xx3: ... but I'm just talking from a public perspective. You let 20 people in your house which is already paid for. You employ a secutiy guard to keep an eye on them, they cook their own food and clean up. You employ a teacher for an hour a day plus consumables? That doesn't even get anywhere near £100+ a day

johncar54
6th March 2011, 12:43
The problem with a 'cost' is as you say questionable.

A point I often make is that when they say a public demonstration cost a certain amount.

Again following your line, most of the police were employed and paid anyway, so the fact that they were employed in a certain way, does not in itself mean their cost can be added to the cost of policing the demo.

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics"

KeithD
6th March 2011, 12:58
Remember how must it cost us to pay the armed forces to fight in Iraq/Afhganistan ...... and here's me thinking we already paid them before the war :Erm: :crazy:

Terpe
6th March 2011, 21:42
Freedom of Information Act.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

gWaPito
6th March 2011, 21:57
Thanks Terpe Both John and keith established that in earlier posts, nevertheless im sure your contribution will be appreciated:xxgrinning--00xx3: