PDA

View Full Version : 23 benefit cheats in a single court in one day

Dedworth
5th March 2011, 17:42
It could have been any other day at court, except that the stream of people appearing in the dock were all accused of one thing: benefit fraud.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1363162/Benefit-cheat-UK-How-just-day-court-saw-staggering-23-cases-welfare-fraud.html

Benefit fraud would be drastically slashed if it carried a mandatory one year minimum jail sentence and seizure of assets

gWaPito
5th March 2011, 18:34
I agree Ded They should be treated just like drug dealers. The sooner this broken welfare system is repaired the better.
That in turn will quell the tide of economic migration. Many birds killed with one stone.

Come on DC pull your finger out! Iain Duncan Smith has put you straight on this ages ago:NoNo:

keithAngel
6th March 2011, 01:02
Im looking forward to full employment and an end to the benifits system to:D

KeithD
6th March 2011, 01:07
Terrible :NoNo: .... that quarter of a million pounds could have gone to buying the poor ducks new houses :rolleyes:

gWaPito
6th March 2011, 01:21
Will be good to have you aboard the good ship, named ' we'll support every man and dog who can't get off his lardy to find a job' you know it makes sense:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
6th March 2011, 02:26
No good sending benefit cheats to jail, that's not the answer. For one it will cost a lot more to keep someone behind bars than for them to claim benefits. It may act as a deterrent to some but the majority won't care and if they do get sent down, they'll probably end up as hardened criminals by the time they get out anyway.

The root of the problem needs to be looked at. What is the incentive to work for most? er...minimum wage:rolleyes: No wonder people claim benefits and get a job on the side because by the time tax, N.I & the cost of accomodation gets deducted they're left with next to nothing and a lot worse off.

gWaPito
6th March 2011, 02:47
Surely its reduce the benefits to make the min wage worth while getting out of bed for.

fred
6th March 2011, 03:29
If you work on minimum wage I doubt you could afford a bed!:icon_lol:

gWaPito
6th March 2011, 04:13
I think a quick search would tell you that a large majority do indeed live on the minimum wage, be it supplemented.

keithAngel
6th March 2011, 06:28
And theres the rub Gwap said it befor what sort of system sets a wage where if your an ordinary guy with afamily you cant support yourself and your kids without several hundred pounds of top ups each month what kind of a message is that?

Whoes interest would that serve:Erm:

johncar54
6th March 2011, 09:21
The root of the problem needs to be looked at. What is the incentive to work for most? er...minimum wage:rolleyes: No wonder people claim benefits and get a job on the side because by the time tax, N.I & the cost of accommodation gets deducted they're left with next to nothing and a lot worse off.

As we here know better than most, poverty is a relative term.

Most Filipinos would be more than happy to have a job in UK getting minimum wages.

OK people on minimum wages are considered as being below the poverty line in UK but the poverty line is based on average income.

In my view, compared with say 100 years ago, poverty hardy exists in UK.

Whilst we have a social conscious which makes us feel people should enjoy an 'average' standard of living, if we looked at it more from a Filipino angle, maybe we would have more people who would work, albeit for a minimum wage, with the desire to improve their life-style by their own efforts, rather than accepting hand-outs from the State, i.e.those who do work.

(And for those who wave the 'no more immigrants flag' if those living in UK took up all the jobs available, and we looked at minimum wage as an acceptable income which did not need topping-up, there would less incentive for people seeking a better life-style to go to UK)

mickcant
6th March 2011, 09:35
The so called average income in the UK was always more or less double my wages, even with overtime:crazy:
Mick.:)

johncar54
6th March 2011, 09:41
The so called average income in the UK was always more or less double my wages, even with overtime:crazy:

Then you were statistically below the poverty line.

Minimum wage now I believe is about £6 p.h. thus a 40 hours week amounts to about £12,000 p.a. Mick, were you on half that ?

2009 quote:-

Another way of measuring it is "median" gross annual earnings. According to ASHE, this was the more modest figure of £20,801, across all employee jobs. If you are earning that sum a year, you are "Mr or Mrs [or Ms] Mid-Point" - precisely half the surveyed working population earns less than you and half more. For just full-time employees, the median rises to £25,123.

keithAngel
6th March 2011, 10:07
I see the issue as not allowing you to live basicaly without benifits this was never the case when I was a youngster

Rents used to roughly equal a third of incomes that is long gone if your rent is 650 a month for a three bed semi you would need to earn a 1500 a month to pay your bills and stand on your own feet

In my view its the housing benifit paid to private landlords that are the real benifit cheats without it rents would plummet instead it props up a disgraceful economic scarcity to the detriment of us all:cwm23:

mickcant
6th March 2011, 10:10
Then you were statistically below the poverty line.

Minimum wage now I believe is about £6 p.h. thus a 40 hours week amounts to about £12,000 p.a. Mick, were you on half that ?

2009 quote:-

Another way of measuring it is "median" gross annual earnings. According to ASHE, this was the more modest figure of £20,801, across all employee jobs. If you are earning that sum a year, you are "Mr or Mrs [or Ms] Mid-Point" - precisely half the surveyed working population earns less than you and half more. For just full-time employees, the median rises to £25,123.

No not quite that low, around £9,000 I did and still do get Housing Benifit.

johncar54
6th March 2011, 10:29
I see the issue as not allowing you to live basicaly without benifits this was never the case when I was a youngster

Rents used to roughly equal a third of incomes that is long gone if your rent is 650 a month for a three bed semi you would need to earn a 1500 a month to pay your bills and stand on your own feet

In my view its the housing benefit paid to private landlords that are the real benefit cheats without it rents would plummet instead it props up a disgraceful economic scarcity to the detriment of us all:cwm23:

When I was first married in 1960 I was happy to live in a bed-sit. I had a mate who had a child, he too was happy living in a bed-sit. Nowadays people 'need' to live in a three bedroomed home with all the mod cons, unless they are considered deprived. I guess bed-sit accommodation can still be found at no more that one third of a minimum monthly wage especially if people worked at least a 48 hour weeks as I did. (i.e..£6 x 48 = £288 x 4 = £1152 ÷ 3 = about £380 pm)[/COLOR]

keithAngel
6th March 2011, 10:44
Depends geographicaly plus its now illegal re overcrowding you woyuld be pushed to find a landlord to take you

Ako Si Jamie
6th March 2011, 11:39
Whilst we have a social conscious which makes us feel people should enjoy an 'average' standard of living, if we looked at it more from a Filipino angle, maybe we would have more people who would work, albeit for a minimum wage, with the desire to improve their life-style by their own efforts, rather than accepting hand-outs from the State, i.e.those who do work.
I can't comment on Filipino's but I know immigrants such as the Kurds & Polish live together in large numbers and divide the rent, food and other living costs between themselves. They don't mind sharing a bedroom with 3 or 4 other people, even if it means sleeping on the floor. They'll even buy a car between them and divide the costs. This way the cost of living in the UK is cheap for them so they're quite happy to work for minimum wage, whereas a single British person who lives on their own on minimum wage has to pay all their living expenses from a single paltry wage .

johncar54
6th March 2011, 11:46
......... whereas a single British person who lives on their own on minimum wage has to pay all their living expenses from a single paltry wage .

Ok if they can afford it, but if that means they have to get hand-outs from the State (other people who working that is) then they know what to do, share with others until they can pay their own way and not be a drain on the rest of us.

Maybe then OAPs might get the equivalent to the minimum wage instead of about 50% of it.

keithAngel
6th March 2011, 11:50
[QUOTE=jamieXXXmaria;278274They'll even buy a car between them and divide the costs. .[/QUOTE]

John is nothing sacred:omg:

Ako Si Jamie
6th March 2011, 12:06
Ok if they can afford it, but if that means they have to get hand-outs from the State (other people who working that is) then they know what to do, share with others until they can pay their own way and not be a drain on the rest of us.

So they have to share their bedroom with a complete stranger now?

johncar54
6th March 2011, 12:14
So they have to share their bedroom with a complete stranger now?

No of course not, they can sponge off the rest of us and live the life of Riley

P.S.
Definition of parasite :-
a person who receives support, advantage, or the like, from another or others without giving any useful or proper return, as one who lives on the hospitality of others. (read tax payers)

KeithD
6th March 2011, 12:33
They've all been sentenced to being stoned to death :yikes: ..... they will be given ample supplies of drugs until they overdose :D

Ako Si Jamie
6th March 2011, 12:41
No of course not, they can sponge off the rest of us and live the life of Riley

If the government gave a proper incentive for going to work the amount of benefit cheats would decrease.

Life of Riley? Don't believe everything that's written in the tabloids.

johncar54
6th March 2011, 12:52
If the government gave a proper incentive for going to work the amount of benefit cheats would decrease.

I guess you know that my idea of a proper incentive would be:- choose not to work (if any work is available) then choose to be hungry.

At 16 (1956) I can remember having to work very hard (48 hour week) for a very low wage (apprentice engineer) and then choosing to give my mum half of what I earnt towards my keep. No moaning about minimum wages, or my rights, social security etc.

gWaPito
6th March 2011, 20:10
John hit the nail on the head in post 11. How is it ' we' can live getto stylie in the Phil, when it comes to do the same here, its beneath us. Looks like its all to do with keeping up with Joneses. :NoNo:

Terpe
6th March 2011, 21:31
John hit the nail on the head in post 11. How is it ' we' can live getto stylie in the Phil, when it comes to do the same here, its beneath us. Looks like its all to do with keeping up with Joneses. :NoNo:

He He, very perceptive.... very true.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
6th March 2011, 21:37
I can't comment on Filipino's but I know immigrants such as the Kurds & Polish live together in large numbers and divide the rent, food and other living costs between themselves. They don't mind sharing a bedroom with 3 or 4 other people, even if it means sleeping on the floor. They'll even buy a car between them and divide the costs. This way the cost of living in the UK is cheap for them so they're quite happy to work for minimum wage, whereas a single British person who lives on their own on minimum wage has to pay all their living expenses from a single paltry wage .

Sorry but I gotta disagree a little, from my own experience.
They don't mind sharing a bedroom with 5 upwards. Most do sleep on the floor.
Yep they will buy a car, usually in their home country, very very cheap (sometimes BMW) But very few costs as no insurance and often no MOT. Just wanna know how they get away with no TAX.
Very easy to work at minimum wage or even below just depends on how many hours are worked and sometimes how many/much deductions.
No offence meant to anyone. This is defo from experience.

gWaPito
7th March 2011, 01:26
Another nail on the head:xxgrinning--00xx3: from Terpe. We got a few eastern blocks that was, working 15 hour days sharing the same beds, not at the same time:NoNo: Living like dogs

fred
7th March 2011, 04:22
Yep they will buy a car, usually in their home country, very very cheap (sometimes BMW) But very few costs as no insurance and often no MOT. Just wanna know how they get away with no TAX.
Very easy to work at minimum wage or even below just depends on how many hours are worked and sometimes how many/much deductions.
No offence meant to anyone. This is defo from experience.

They get away with paying tax because they get cash in hand.. Any builder that says he has never does this is full of ****!!
These days its a lot harder as employers need to see your S/E tax card before they start ..
Its also really hard for the employers to find untraceable cash to pay them with..
The easiest way is for them to work in the domestic market where the customer can pay cash usually without comebacks as the domestic customer has no responsibility to ensure the worker is tax registered .
In regards 5 poles renting one room,this is becoming far more difficult and risky for landlords to allow since many London councils have made this practice illegal..
From what i am being told,many are returning home as working in the UK is no longer such an attractive proposition.

Ako Si Jamie
7th March 2011, 21:14
No offence meant to anyone. This is defo from experience.I can believe they have a lot more to a bedroom but from what I've seen it's around 4 or 5. As for the cars, from what I know a lot of them buy vehicles that have been repaired following an accident.