PDA

View Full Version : Life In The UK Test

nparvus1202
5th April 2007, 10:38
I will be taking life in the UK test this May as a work permit holder of five years. When I read the guidance it says there that my spouse as dependant should also pass the test before she will be granted ILR. But here is what I was thinking, first, she has not been here more than 2 years. Second, as far as I understand on the guidance, one fee of £750 for the entire family. Has anybody will be taking test as well? Or has taken already, how was it? Any good advice? Thanks in advance.

joebloggs
5th April 2007, 10:51
yes you need to take the test b4 you can apply for ILR, if you apply for ILR and you dont send your pass cert, they will treat your app as for FLR !!.

test is pretty easy, my wife and stepson passed first time, if

look at other posting, and you'll see further info..
eg http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=2823

but i good web site is http://www.lifeintheuk.org/

LadyJ
5th April 2007, 11:12
You will need to pass the test of 'Life in the UK' and must send the certificate with your ILR application.

Your wife will have to complete her full 2 year visa before she can apply for ILR and £750 fee is applied for each applicant age 18 or over.

nparvus1202
5th April 2007, 11:43
This is what was written on the guideline, " The Fee", " With the exmeptions specified at the end of this part of the guidance notes, you have to pay to apply on forn SET(O). The prescribed fees for the applications made after 2 April 2007 are £750 for postal and £950 for the premium service at one of our Public inquiry Offices.... There is only one fee for each application form. You may include your partner and/or children under the age of 18 in your application if they are applying for an indefinite leave to remain as your dependants - but see part 3 about long residence category. If dependants apply separately, they must pay the prescribed fee."
So from this I believe £750 for the entire family?
We will be taking the new test, chapeters 2,3,4,5 nad 6. In case anyone have tried already please give info on what was the possible questions.

LadyJ
5th April 2007, 12:18
May I ask, what type of visa is your wife's currently holding? and When did she entered the UK?

vbkelly
5th April 2007, 12:24
This is what was written on the guideline, " The Fee", " With the exmeptions specified at the end of this part of the guidance notes, you have to pay to apply on forn SET(O). The prescribed fees for the applications made after 2 April 2007 are £750 for postal and £950 for the premium service at one of our Public inquiry Offices.... There is only one fee for each application form. You may include your partner and/or children under the age of 18 in your application if they are applying for an indefinite leave to remain as your dependants - but see part 3 about long residence category. If dependants apply separately, they must pay the prescribed fee."
So from this I believe £750 for the entire family?
We will be taking the new test, chapeters 2,3,4,5 nad 6. In case anyone have tried already please give info on what was the possible questions.if your dependant under 18 just only one application form you need to use with the parent who applying for ILR and if over 18 yrs old thats separate application form so that means you pay the visa separately, awww cost of fortune really...anyway about the test just only chapter 2,3 and 4 you need to study every computer have different questions mostly general knowledge and true or false need to read carefully bcoz the sentences so similar but just only one right ,thats the test like so goodluck to everyone

nparvus1202
5th April 2007, 12:29
I have a work permit of five years this July and my kids and wife are my dependants. My wife is less than 2 years here. So I we will be taking the new tests with my wife chapters 2,3,4,5 and 6. That's my understanding on the guidance.

LadyJ
5th April 2007, 15:18
Yes, the family can be included on the form and both the husband and the wife will have needed to have passed the Citizenship Test before the application form can be submited.

nparvus1202
10th April 2007, 08:47
Another question, the first edition book is up to 2 July 2007, is this test can also be taken by people applying for ILR? Or just for citizenship? I know that the second edition is out, but they are yet available for internet review.

LadyJ
10th April 2007, 09:53
The test is for everyone who is applying for ILR but doesn't apply to anyone under the age of 18 or aged 65 or over at the time of the application is made.

joebloggs
10th April 2007, 13:30
you dont need to take the test, you can got to college, and achieve an esol 'skills for life' qualification in speaking and listening at entry level , based on citizenship materials.

You should take the test if you are applying for naturalisation as a British citizen or indefinite leave to remain (settlement) and your level of English is ESOL Entry 3 or above. If your level of English is lower than ESOL Entry 3 and you wish to apply for naturalisation or indefinite leave to remain, you will need to attend combined English language (ESOL) and citizenship classes instead. Most local further education or community colleges run these courses

iam sure you have to improve by one esol grade, it dont sound much but ive seen it can take upto 200hrs !!! :yikes:

hm your better taking the test :icon_lol:

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

nparvus1202
10th April 2007, 14:00
I think you were right on your first declaration. Even though we will take the ILR, settlement test, we could choose which edition we could take. Right now there were no second edition on internet yet, so we decided to review the first edition thru internet website test review. I bought one for £5.99 for 3 months, which is good considering that 2 people will be using the site. The problem now is that no one is answering the test center. We would like to take the test middle of May.
And for ESOL schooling, forget about that. Never will I take that.

joebloggs
11th April 2007, 10:21
if your only doing chapters 2,3,4 you could have bought the chapters from ebay for about 99p.. and you didnt need to register and pay, there are many free sites out there, eps good is the one i mentioned earlier, both my stepson and my wife just read the pdf file i bought off ebay and i printed the questions and the summaries off the web site i mentioned b4, and they both passed first time.

:xxgrinning--00xx3: but dont take it for granted it easy, in the group my wife and stepson was in, only about 3 out of 10 passed. so study well :xxgrinning--00xx3:

vbkelly
11th April 2007, 15:52
if your only doing chapters 2,3,4 you could have bought the chapters from ebay for about 99p.. and you didnt need to register and pay, there are many free sites out there, eps good is the one i mentioned earlier, both my stepson and my wife just read the pdf file i bought off ebay and i printed the questions and the summaries off the web site i mentioned b4, and they both passed first time.

:xxgrinning--00xx3: but dont take it for granted it easy, in the group my wife and stepson was in, only about 3 out of 10 passed. so study well :xxgrinning--00xx3: yes thats true like my group just only 4 passed out of ten

andypaul
11th April 2007, 18:39
Those who took the test from the books and other test questions pdfs we have got so far, i noticed some of the answers for the questions. From what i can see are just plain wrong or have at least very dubious and debatable correct answers.
Many tests have this problem, have others noticed it with the ILR test?

vbkelly
12th April 2007, 10:34
Those who took the test from the books and other test questions pdfs we have got so far, i noticed some of the answers for the questions. From what i can see are just plain wrong or have at least very dubious and debatable correct answers.
Many tests have this problem, have others noticed it with the ILR test?the question and answer you read in the web are difenately different from the actual test,what i said before you need to read carefully the question bcoz the sentences is so similar you make confuse yourself. and read the book and understand it

joebloggs
12th April 2007, 11:00
of course some answers will be wrong, even my wifes medical books have wrong answers to a few of the questions in her books, if you read the chapters a few times, and then do some of the questions on web sites, and you think an answer might be wrong, it shows your learning :xxgrinning--00xx3:

there is software you can buy off ebay for less than £10 which asks you random questions, the one i got for my wife was ok, it got her use to what the test would be like.

andypaul
12th April 2007, 18:53
of course some answers will be wrong, even my wifes medical books have wrong answers to a few of the questions in her books, if you read the chapters a few times, and then do some of the questions on web sites, and you think an answer might be wrong, it shows your learning :xxgrinning--00xx3:

there is software you can buy off ebay for less than £10 which asks you random questions, the one i got for my wife was ok, it got her use to what the test would be like.

Your right many exams i have studied have had known wrong answers, but a bit worrying when its your welcome to the uk exam:Erm:

I don't need to study it as im brit but just reading and studying it to help the Wife.

The Wife is worrying that a few hours a night for a month or so is not enough (plus reading snipets though out the day when on the bus to work etc). She has very decent english and fairly bright so i feel she should have no problem. Can others reasure her or have any tips?

Looks like we start the next hurdle on the long and winding path that is phill/brit marriage:rolleyes:

joebloggs
13th April 2007, 01:02
well i was getting worried when i booked the test for my wife and stepson, becuase i didnt really see them reading much, with less than a week to go i started moaning, and thats when i started seeing them swatting, i'am not sure what level of english your wife is at, my wife is excellent - she had to reach ielts with an average of 7 (english tests in listening, reading and writing, before she could take medical board exams here, but my stepson can read english good, but finds it difficult sometimes to know the right word to say in english.

i think a couple of hours a day for a month should be enough for most, buy some test software off ebay or one of the living in uk sites, so your wife gets use to sitting at the pc and answering questions, so it will test her on what shes already studied, i think this was just as important as reading the chapters and makes a change from reading all them facts :NoNo:

i wanted them to pass the test before the end of march, as iam applying for ILR for them in mid april, so i booked it for 16th of march, and if they failed i was ready to book them in on the 23rd and even the 30th :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: but they both passed first time :xxgrinning--00xx3:

good luck to her :xxgrinning--00xx3:

andypaul
13th April 2007, 18:57
Thank you sir the missus has ilets avg of 6 back in 05 but her english as of course improved imensely due to being in the uk.

the missus was out buying some more books today, with the latest version of the test just in case she needs to take after june.

your right about the computer tests and getting used to the format so will be obtaining some soon.

but at first the missus wants to do some serious reading as thats the way she likes to learn.

thanks again for the words of advice mr bloggs

andypaul
13th April 2007, 23:24
Found another website with a free test uktestonline.co.uk

You can pay for more questions, but it has 24 free sample questions with a timer running not sure if the format is the same but gives the Wife a taster of what she is facing.

joebloggs
14th April 2007, 02:20
i dont think your wife will need a timer, maybe an egg timer... :D
mywife did the test in about 5 mins, and checked her answers. many people with a good understanding of english will do it in 5 mins.. + bit for checking answers.

tell your wife not to worry, its not that difficult, esp if your wife got an average of 6 for ielts, which is alot harder, (my wife got an average of 6.5 on her first attempt, but needed 7 !! :doh so that cost another £100, waitiing weeks before she could take it again and an all day test :bigcry: ).

andypaul
14th April 2007, 10:54
i dont think your wife will need a timer, maybe an egg timer... :D
mywife did the test in about 5 mins, and checked her answers. many people with a good understanding of english will do it in 5 mins.. + bit for checking answers.

tell your wife not to worry, its not that difficult, esp if your wife got an average of 6 for ielts, which is alot harder, (my wife got an average of 6.5 on her first attempt, but needed 7 !! :doh so that cost another £100, waitiing weeks before she could take it again and an all day test :bigcry: ).

Thank you Sir the Wife was real please to read that:xxgrinning--00xx3: and now she asking me when can she go shopping to get a new egg timer:Brick:

nparvus1202
16th April 2007, 10:04
We finally get a date for our test, 1st of May and we are reviewing like crazy. We found a government site which are giving exactly what should examiners need to know, http://www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk/htmlsite/self_10.html . We are reading the materials from http://www.lifeintheuk.org/ and are doing the checlists and practice tests.

nparvus1202
1st May 2007, 19:47
We just pass the Life in the UK test, we will be sending the application end of June, is this the Set O application form? Anybody did this already?

andypaul
1st May 2007, 19:53
Congrats on passing so how was it tougher or easier than you expected?

nparvus1202
1st May 2007, 20:12
Easier because luckily I reviewed all questions assigned to me. I believe each applicant were given different sets. I really don't know what to expect at first, but when the first questions opened I know I can do it. My wife was a bit nervous but she was relieved when she got the passing certificate.

nparvus1202
1st May 2007, 20:38
Also is my baby born 25th Dec. 2006 automatically British citizen? Or she will have Philippine nationality? I don't know if I should include her as dependant or I could just apply for her a British passport.

joebloggs
1st May 2007, 21:21
i think that a baby born in the UK will be a British citizen at birth if at least one of the parents is:

- a British citizen;
- a non-British citizen with the right of abode in the UK;
- an Irish citizen; or
- a person with indefinite leave to remain/permanent residency in the UK

nparvus1202
2nd May 2007, 08:25
So since I will be applying permanent residency only this coming 1st of July then that means my baby is not considered British citizen under the law? Well I guess I have to file her as dependant then.

andypaul
20th May 2007, 10:26
The missus past the test yesterday. She said loads of people rushing the exam and she was second to last to finish. The wife was out of the buliding with cert in her hand just 30 mins after exam started.
As others reported quite a few failed so one thing we learned was take your time read the qs slowly make sure you understand them before answering.
Dont hurry the exam its unlikely your run out of time as mr bloggs said. But better to take time than to rush it.
The Wife put in a hours or so reading and practise tests in most days/nights a week. For a month or so.

joebloggs
20th May 2007, 10:41
well done
i think its not so difficult for pinoys, as many have an excellent understanding of english, they are what the 3rd/4th largest english speaking country in the world :D .. but i wouldnt want to remember those facts and figures and take the test,so well done to all those that past, and you can now forget it all :icon_lol:

oh, and i've read somewhere, that the home office only keep a digital record of passes for 6 years, and you have to send your copy with your ILR, and i dont know if you get it back, so i've scanned it. and i'm making sure my wife dont have to take it ever again or pay for it again :xxgrinning--00xx3:

andypaul
20th May 2007, 10:56
Good advice mr bloggs that rather shabby bit of paper for 34 quid could cost you a fortune if lost or damged so unable to read. The server holding the pass records is likely to explode or just not work knowing the uk goverments record on it.
scan it keep copies and like mr bloggs said dont worry about how wide is the uk or the amount of under 20 years in the uk anymore.

tommyw
7th August 2007, 12:11
So since I will be applying permanent residency only this coming 1st of July then that means my baby is not considered British citizen under the law? Well I guess I have to file her as dependant then.

I'm a wee bit confused here. Joe Bloggs gave a list of requirements for the baby to get a UK passport. That includes,of the parents being a Uk resident or having a visa I think he said. Is that not the case with you?
The reason I ask is that we are due our Son in November and need to
get him a passport soon after so we can book up with him to fly to Philippines in February 08.

joebloggs
7th August 2007, 19:09
i think his bb was born in dec, but he couldn't apply for ILR until july, his bb was 8 months old by then, i think immigration law varies according to the age of the child. you need to look on the IND web site about your bb becoming a british citizen.

tommyw
7th August 2007, 19:55
What's the IND? website please?

KeithD
7th August 2007, 20:36
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/

tommyw
14th August 2007, 14:41
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/

Thankyou.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

nparvus1202
14th August 2007, 15:18
I called IND and they informed me that after my ILR has been approved and released, my baby could be registered as citizen right away for £400. If she was born after I got my ILR, then it's free. £400 for all children under 18 years old.