PDA

View Full Version : Big Meat-Eaters Advised To Cut Down

Terpe
25th February 2011, 18:04
The Department of Health has issued a warning that eating too much red meat may be linked to bowel cancer.

The advice follows the publication of a new report, from the independent expert Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition (SACN), which reviewed the evidence on the links between red meat (beef, lamb and pork) and processed meat (ham, bacon, luncheon meat, corned beef, salami, pâté, sausages and burgers) and bowel cancer.

It concludes that red and processed meat probably increases the risk of bowel cancer and that people who eat around 90g or more a day should consider cutting down to reduce their risk. The Department advises cutting down to the UK average of 70g a day.

Men are at particular risk - the Department says that 42% of men eat on average 90g a day or more of red meat (compared to 12% of women).

Examples of a 70g portion of meat are:

•One medium portion Shepherds Pie and a rasher of bacon;
•two standard beef burgers;
•six slices of salami;
•one lamb chop;
•two slices of roast lamb, beef or pork; or
•three slices of ham
This is still a lot of meat and most of us could cut down a lot more - have meat-free days, eat more fish instead.

'Advice worth a few sausages'
The MHF are backing the campaign. MHF CEO Peter Baker said: 'Men who enjoy regular breakfast fry-ups or roast beef dinners may be surprised to learn that eating too much red or processed meat might increase their risk of bowel cancer.

'Bowel cancer is the third most common cancer and the second most common cause of cancer death in the UK. Many men could be putting themselves at increased risk as they tend to eat more red and processed meat than women.

'We're not saying men can't occasionally enjoy a bacon sandwich or some sausages for breakfast - but the evidence tells us we need to think about cutting down on how much red and processed meat we're eating. This is a health benefit surely worth giving up a few sausages for.'

The Department of Health is not advising you to give up meat. Good quality meat remains a good source of protein and vitamins and minerals, such as iron, selenium, zinc, and B vitamins. It is also one of the main sources of vitamin B12, which is only found in foods from animals, such as meat and milk.

Government advice is to consume some meat and/or meat products, or other sources of protein, as part of a healthy balanced diet. Tips for choosing healthier meat and meat products include choosing lower fat versions: meat with the fat cut off, leaner mince, less processed meat and more fresh.

KeithD
25th February 2011, 18:45
We've known this for years. Red meat carries free radicals from the animal, especially beef, and it is these free radicals that cause the damage.

I do not recommend taking antioxidants though, as they also clean up the good free radicals the body needs, which long term probably does more damage, and scientific research mentioned in New Scientist a few months back seems to show this is the case.

Doc Alan
25th February 2011, 20:13
This has indeed been known for years. Cancer of the large bowel is one of the most common types, not only in UK and USA, but also now in the Philippines. President Corazon Aquino died from it in 2009 at the age of 76.
The risk of large bowel cancer is in proportion to the amount of meat consumption, just as diets rich in fruit and vegetables are associated with lower risk of this and other cancer types.
Essentially a diet with too much fat and too little fibre is to blame. People who take little exercise and are overweight are at risk.
Here's the important news : staging of bowel cancer means everything in terms of survival or cure :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Early diagnosis - before it has spread through the bowel wall or beyond ( liver or elsewhere) - means almost certain cure :xxgrinning--00xx3:
That's why ( not before time) in the UK there is a screening programme for all men and women aged 60-69 (those most at risk). It detects tiny amounts of blood in the bowel motions - NOT a diagnosis of cancer but an indication for further investigation. Hopefully increased awareness will improve survival in the UK which at present compares unfavourably with other similar countries.

mickcant
25th February 2011, 20:18
I know he is an animal but my new puppy is important to me:icon_sorry:

The breeder said to give him puppy mix during the day and a evening meal of raw meat, but not Pork.
So would raw frying steak cut into little peices be ok for him?
Mick:furious3:

imagine
25th February 2011, 20:41
im wondering if there is anything safe to eat :icon_lol:

mickcant
25th February 2011, 20:43
im wondering if there is anything safe to eat :icon_lol:

Balot:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Mick.:icon_lol:

Terpe
25th February 2011, 20:44
Just this week I received notification of 'all-clear' for bowel cancer screening.
I was invited to participate soon after my 60th b'day.
Took me some time to actually do it, but really no choice.
Problem is I really love Beef. But gotta cut back, it makes sense.

mickcant
25th February 2011, 20:56
Just this week I received notification of 'all-clear' for bowel cancer screening.
I was invited to participate soon after my 60th b'day.
Took me some time to actually do it, but really no choice.
Problem is I really love Beef. But gotta cut back, it makes sense.

I have checked they have not offerd this as yet on the Isle of Wight.
I will ask my Dr why when I next visit the surgery:furious3:
Mick.:)

Terpe
25th February 2011, 20:59
I have checked they have not offerd this as yet on the Isle of Wight.
I will ask my Dr why when I next visit the surgery:furious3:
Mick.:)

To be honest Mick, I did not sleep well for ages after I posted off the completed kit.
Then when I got the 'all-clear' , so to speak, I was so happy and relieved.

If you can get to be screened, it's so easy, simple and worth it.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
25th February 2011, 21:01
im wondering if there is anything safe to eat :icon_lol:They'll be saying fresh air and fruit is bad for you next :rolleyes:

sars_notd_virus
25th February 2011, 22:02
No matter what you eat they would say, you cannot eat this..u cannot eat that:rolleyes:
What is important is you chew your food properly!!!

Englishman2010
25th February 2011, 22:13
I saw this on BBC breakfast news this morning, I was watching it whilst I cooked my bacon and eggs:D

I try to avoid processed food where possible, but some things are just too nice to give up - Bacon, gammon, proper butchers lincolnshire sausages, salami, chorizo, ham. I'm not overly bothered about beef and lamb, but I'd struggle to give up pork and pork products.

Sim11UK
25th February 2011, 22:15
I try not to eat much red & processed meat these days, but do enjoy them when I do.
I remember when growing up in the 70's, we always seemed to eat processed meat, as I suppose it was cheap to feed a family with & the health issues weren't as widely, if at all known?

I like some of the Quorn products, the sausages are quite good (meat free)
& I just tried Linda McCartney sausages the other day, they were really tasty. (again meat free)

The above may be a healthier option, if you like a good sausage. :D

...I'm just thinking of those red Hot Dogs, you get in the Philippines now. :doh

raynaputi
25th February 2011, 22:21
i love ham, bacon, hotdogs and beef..but yeah i don't it eat everyday..and besides it's not always in the fridge..we stack up chicken more..but if i'd be served with lots of food, beef is definitely my first choice..

Ako Si Jamie
25th February 2011, 23:11
Beef, bacon, & sausages I like the best. Like longarisa's too. England might not be the best in the culinary department but the English breakfast is the best brekkie out there and roast beef and yorkshire pudding is yummy for a main meal.

KeithD
25th February 2011, 23:21
If they ever find chicken is bad for you I'm doomed :Cuckoo:

Doc Alan
26th February 2011, 05:30
They'll be saying fresh air and fruit is bad for you next :rolleyes:
Fresh air and exercise, eating more fruit and vegetables with less fat, would drastically reduce the huge number of bowel cancer victims. Diet and smoking are the major causes of roughly 10 million new cases of cancer every year in the world. The UK will continue to lag behind other similar countries in cancer survival until people are more aware and take prevention seriously. Thankfully even if they do get bowel cancer, early diagnosis is likely to mean cure.

jimeve
26th February 2011, 15:56
my older sister was diagnosed with Bowel cancer, she nearly didn't make it and has to were a stormer (smelling) .
She noticed there was blood in her pants but to shy to say or go to the Doctors, but eventually did, which saved her life. If she went earlier, might have avoided to were the stormer

Doc Alan
27th February 2011, 01:34
Stage at diagnosis is everything with bowel cancer. The main treatment offering a chance of cure is surgery. A colostomy with stoma following removal of the cancerous bowel means bringing the remaining bowel onto the surface, with a colostomy bag, either permanently or as a temporary measure. This is only necessary for quite advanced cancer.
Please don't treat this lightly ! Don't be shy ! Watch for * change in bowel habit, * bleeding from the back passage, * abdominal pain, and * a lump in the abdomen. *Then see your doctor - it may not be cancer, better safe than sorry ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Cluver
13th May 2011, 07:28
U am agree with Alan he gave the right advise. We should care of our health and more important is to visit the doctor than consult to the people who have no any information.