PDA

View Full Version : salary

antchristie
24th February 2011, 15:34
Dear all
Can any one tell my whats the salary like in Manila for expat?
Also visa whats the best visa to apply for to live in Phili wife is from Manila.thanks in advance.

Englishman2010
24th February 2011, 15:47
You might need to be a bit more specific:Erm:

What is your profession, trade or occupation? Are you going to work for a western company (having been relocated to Ph) or are you going to work for a Filipino company.

I'm guessing at this but would suspect that Filipino companies don't pay anything like the salaries you would get in the west, and the only way you are going to attract a western salary is if you are relocated there by your employer.

antchristie
24th February 2011, 16:06
Hello Englishman 2010
Its an International company.I am Chef by profession and will not be relocated as I am not working currently for the company

Terpe
24th February 2011, 16:28
:Hellooo:Hi antchristie, welcome to the forum :Wave:

As Englishman said, if your employer is relocating you to Manila then your salary will be (or should be) in line with what it is now depending on any negotiating you can do.

If your thinking of just moving to Manila then finding a job, don't expect western salary level it just won't happen. (You'd be lucky to even find a job based on having permit etc)

To answer your question and just as an example, if you could secure a contact centre job, you could expect to start at P10k-P12k per month. That's working 12hr shift rotations.
If you could beat off all the competition to reach supervisor or manager level within say
2-3 years you could expect P18k-Pk30 again on 12 hr shift rotations.

This is based on a family member's info working contact centres in Marikina 2008-2010

Staff turnover is extremely high and conditions very stressful. My family member already quit and returned to Hotel management in Davao.

I don't even think he managed to save anything from his time in Manila :doh

Jimbojac
24th February 2011, 20:23
Personally i do not see the point at all in working there with such little salary on offer.
Why work your a*se off for so little reward i get 60 X an hour what my GF earns there and i am painter/ decorator here. Even a top teacher i know who heads a department is on less than £300 a month.

Englishman2010
24th February 2011, 20:30
Personally i do not see the point at all in working there with such little salary on offer.
Why work your a*se off for so little reward i get 60 X an hour what my GF earns there and i am painter/ decorator here. Even a top teacher i know who heads a department is on less than £300 a month.

Absolutely Jimbojac:xxgrinning--00xx3: If I ever go to live in Ph it will be when I've retired and made my money. I've got a much greater chance of earning enough to support my retirement by working in the Uk than I have if I went to work in Ph. The only Asian countries I would consider working in are Singapore and Hong Kong due to similar regulatory regimes to the Uk in my industry, and an ability to earn a very good income. Around 18 months ago, I looked on line at jobs on offer in Makati in my industry, the salary and bonus packages were around 10 X less than I make in the UK.

Jimbojac
24th February 2011, 21:13
Absolutely Jimbojac:xxgrinning--00xx3: If I ever go to live in Ph it will be when I've retired and made my money. I've got a much greater chance of earning enough to support my retirement by working in the Uk than I have if I went to work in Ph. The only Asian countries I would consider working in are Singapore and Hong Kong due to similar regulatory regimes to the Uk in my industry, and an ability to earn a very good income. Around 18 months ago, I looked on line at jobs on offer in Makati in my industry, the salary and bonus packages were around 10 X less than I make in the UK.
For sure Mate.
The best thing i have come up with is an idea for a retirement/ holiday home there.
Personally if i was an old bug*er looking out of a window at the good ol' British Winter i would rather be in the sunny Phils, being looked after by some lovely Pinays! :xxgrinning--00xx3: Its a decent idea with a certain credibility { particularly those with a certain adventuresome personality:xxgrinning--00xx3:} but imagine being in the " employee situation there" the wages are dire. Even a small store/ restaurant that you might own, the red tape is crazy, the competition will do their best to see that you fail and after a long shift imagine cashing up and working out after overheads that you have made the grand total of a £ fiver !!:omg:
I am happy to fund the GF's family with a small sari sari store, grain supplier etc but the idea of me working hard there for a few pesos an hour is frankly a non- starter.

Englishman2010
24th February 2011, 21:16
For sure Mate.
The best thing i have come up with is an idea for a retirement/ holiday home there.
Personally if i was an old bug*er looking out of a window at the good ol' British Winter i would rather be in the sunny Phils, being looked after by some lovely Pinays! :xxgrinning--00xx3: Its a decent idea with a certain credibility { particularly those with a certain adventuresome personality:xxgrinning--00xx3:} but imagine being in the " employee situation there" the wages are dire. Even a small store/ restaurant that you might own, the red tape is crazy, the competition will do their best to see that you fail and after a long shift imagine cashing up and working out after overheads that you have made the grand total of a £ fiver !!:omg:
I am happy to fund the GF's family with a small sari sari store, grain supplier etc but the idea of me working hard there for a few pesos an hour is frankly a non- starter.

That pretty much sums up my attitude too. If all goes to plan, when I'm an old git, I'll spend the winter over there and come back here in the summer to see the kids and grandkids.

Jimbojac
24th February 2011, 21:25
My idea Englishman is to have good sized rental property there in a beautiful area, beach nearby not too far out of the way and cater for maybe 4-5 retired people and treat 'em like kings with friendly respectful staff and all mod cons and fully inclusive of quality meals etc, a regular home from home.........
My home Island of Jersey would charge a small fortune for that kind of service, i am sure there is a market for it and already my GF is thinking ahead as a care-giver and i will finance her training in this.

Terpe
24th February 2011, 21:30
My idea Englishman is to have good sized rental property there in a beautiful area, beach nearby not too far out of the way and cater for maybe 4-5 retired people and treat 'em like kings with friendly respectful staff and all mod cons and fully inclusive of quality meals etc, a regular home from home.........
My home Island of Jersey would charge a small fortune for that kind of service, i am sure there is a market for it and already my GF is thinking ahead as a care-giver and i will finance her training in this.

:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Paradise :)

scott&ligaya
24th February 2011, 21:37
Hi Jimbojac, the concept is fine, the only wrinkle is if your residents have children,grandchildren who want to see them/ and vice versa, it is a long way fro them to come, there is an alternative though, PM me and I will discuss with you further it you wish

JimOttley
24th February 2011, 21:56
Dear all
Also visa whats the best visa to apply for to live in Phili wife is from Manila.thanks in advance.

Call center work can be possibility, wages can be anything depending on age, from under 20,000 peso a month to maybe a maximum of 50,000, 60,000 a month for a fluent native English speaker.

Anything with a skill will pay poorly compared to here.

Software development project manager, 100,000 peso a month. Software developer, dotNet, Java or web tech php etc. can get paid as little as 25,000 peso a month. Then again a local fully qualified lawyer can be paid as little as 25,000 a month if he's not working for himself.

These figures are based on people I know personally who are or have been working in the Phils.

Real solution is to have your own business (in the wifes name) but if you are not careful that can bring another minefield of problems, very hard to succeed in business in a country where you don't know the ground rules and don't have a network of contacts.

scott&ligaya
24th February 2011, 22:02
a wsie old head in Palawan told me that "If you want to make a small fortune in the Phils then bring a BIG ONE" wise indeed. if you intend to make a business here, keep it modest and do not be too successful..you will attract local competitiors who are usually linked to the local worthies, you will find all sorts of "new obstacles", you will lose staff, have trouble renewing liscences, taxes will unexpectedly rise, you will be visited b every possible department for all sorts of absurd reaons.. etc etc etc, I am sure you get the picture

JimOttley
24th February 2011, 22:08
a wsie old head in Palawan told me that "If you want to make a small fortune in the Phils then bring a BIG ONE" wise indeed. if you intend to make a business here, keep it modest and do not be too successful..you will attract local competitiors who are usually linked to the local worthies, you will find all sorts of "new obstacles", you will lose staff, have trouble renewing liscences, taxes will unexpectedly rise, you will be visited b every possible department for all sorts of absurd reaons.. etc etc etc, I am sure you get the picture

Exactly :D and yes the Phils has a habit of turning a large fortune into a small one :D

I do know westerners who started with nothing and grew a successful business in the Phils but it was in areas that the locals could not compete in and exploiting foreign contact networks not local contact networks.

Manila_Paul
26th February 2011, 07:22
Dear all

Agree with Jim that call center work is probably your best bet.

This said, Manila can actually work out to be quite a cheap place to live. In theory it should cost more but the better infrastructure, combined with the level of competition, will mean you end up saving money. For example, I don't think any other cities have anything like the same public transport system. It can pretty much get you to anywhere you'll want to be going. I rarely bother with taxis here. I mostly use the MTR/LTR and Jeeps occasionally. The MTR costs about 24 pesos maximum for a return trip. It is not even that I can't afford the taxis, it is that the MTR/LTR will probably get you get there far quicker. If you're happy with a non-extravagant lifestyle, you can comfortable live in Manila on about £100 a week, not including any rent.

madmitch537
1st May 2011, 18:43
hi
i really dont think working there is an option if allowed unless its a skill they need the basic salary is peanuts even if you can find a job its a very biased place regarding age for the everyday jobs
like the other replies unless your getting a relocation from a foriegn country like for example fed ex then forget it
a painter here can earn £80 - £200 a day here in uk my girlfriend/fiancee earned 12,000 peso a month {£150ish} as an interior designer for an italian guy she organised the actual workers who did the work ok she did do some painting but only if a deadline was looming
ive no idea what visa or permits are even needed to work there
my only idea is buy places if your relationship is good with your lady better a little more secured if married and rent them out to make income or as others suggest savings or retirement funds
i must admit thats my biggest worry to move there permanantly all very scary if it all goes wrong thats my retirement messed up
good luck sorry to sound so gloomy about this topic regards mark

madmitch537
1st May 2011, 18:53
hi
well put and agreed if you can put up with living in manilla i personally hate the place and avoid it
i will say coming back there on good friday was great the place was deserted due to most people leaving to visit family or friends in the home provinces it was a joy to get back to the airport from olongapo city normally 4-6 hrs but then 2.5hrs coach 700pesos for three of us
taxi 229 peso on the meter then tip given jeepnies every city cheap and tricycles to
rent is far more expensive in manilla my girl has place in pasig rents for £80ish a month but its small were going to add another floor i hope then the ground floor will become a store
but still cheap to rent comparing to uk
so its true you could live a reasonable life cheaply
all the best mark

madmitch537
1st May 2011, 19:00
hi
are there any ground rules to begin with everything ive read here is well believeable i really do believe its a country where money can buy you most things legally and illegally foriegners could come unstuck so easy so good friends/contacts there could be a big asset even then at a price
good luck mark

madmitch537
1st May 2011, 19:06
hi im new here fascinating stories a wealth of info
thats my plan to but im not retiring age yet although id love to i must admit i im not keen on the rainy season there and the humidity oct to april is great so i can see exactly why your thinking the way you do best of luck mark

Tawi2
1st May 2011, 19:07
contacts there could be a big asset
Always build a contact base mate,surprisingly enough they dont all come at a price,some of the best ones dont cost zip :)

scott&ligaya
1st May 2011, 19:15
Always build a contact base mate,surprisingly enough they dont all come at a price,some of the best ones dont cost zip :)

could not agree more, my wife has made some great contacts through our little boys nursery.. the other mums LOL mayors wife`s sister, chief of CID...chief city planning attorney etc. Now they are regular party guests as all the kids become three over the last few months.

grahamw48
1st May 2011, 23:05
You need a work permit to get an 'employee' status job in the Phils, and they're pretty hard to come by.

Manila_Paul
19th May 2011, 18:21
You need a work permit to get an 'employee' status job in the Phils, and they're pretty hard to come by.

The exception being if you're married to a Filipino and have got the 13a visa. Even then, IIRC, you have to register with the DOLE.

tone
20th May 2011, 21:57
Pretty useful thread this one!
I was considering this but figured out quickly the salary wasn't going to cut the mustard very quickly and now view Phils as a retirement location later in life.
Thanks for the very interesting points chaps.
Tone

Manila_Paul
21st May 2011, 17:22
hi
well put and agreed if you can put up with living in manilla i personally hate the place and avoid it
i will say coming back there on good friday was great the place was deserted due to most people leaving to visit family or friends in the home provinces it was a joy to get back to the airport from olongapo city normally 4-6 hrs but then 2.5hrs coach 700pesos for three of us
taxi 229 peso on the meter then tip given jeepnies every city cheap and tricycles to
rent is far more expensive in manilla my girl has place in pasig rents for £80ish a month but its small were going to add another floor i hope then the ground floor will become a store
but still cheap to rent comparing to uk
so its true you could live a reasonable life cheaply
all the best mark

Manila certainly isn't for everyone but if you get the right location, you won't have to worry about traffic or pollution. At least not for the most part.

I agree it is expensive for the sort of things you describe but most ordinary items are quite cheap. I blame expats for the expensive reputation, especially it seems the Americans. A lot seem to regard a car with driver, along with (often live in) household help etc etc as neccessities! Then they must eat western food all the time and go to the most expensive western restaurants. Well, of course it is going to be expensive if you do that. These people will say you can't live on less than 12k in Manila! Meanwhile, my girlfriend lived a relatively comfortable, if not luxurious existence, on about 1,800 per year. While still sending a percentage of that home to the family.

And I'm far closer now to her old budget now because I largely do what she did, which was: ride jeepeys, take MRT, eat Pinoy food, shop at the market not frigging SM etc etc. And I have no rent. None of this is any major burden. Mainly, again, because of the location.

tanga
24th June 2011, 14:27
hi
are there any ground rules to begin with everything ive read here is well believeable i really do believe its a country where money can buy you most things legally and illegally foriegners could come unstuck so easy so good friends/contacts there could be a big asset even then at a price
good luck mark
You have hit the nail on the head Madmitch.
Foreigners can and do come unstuck here.Most never think it could happen to them.I have visited foreigners in the Immigration Detention Centre in Camp Bagong Diwa,Bicutan. Every one there has their story,many should not be there and have found themselves in similar situations as Kevin Taylor and Albert Weinert.Making good contacts and friends here are important ground rules.Paradise is also real life

Terpe
27th June 2011, 11:41
..........Making good contacts and friends here are important ground rules.Paradise is also real life

Very true. :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Wise words.

mikejwoodnz
4th September 2011, 00:16

Jimbojac - you are right on the money there - what better place for this than the Philippines ? - well ok we don't need to debate that :D BUT - with a Philippine partner/wife and a knowledge of both cultures it would be a winner in the Philippines. Happy to have further dialogue (JV?) - Mike :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Maria B
4th September 2011, 02:01
:Hellooo:hiya antchristie,

Expats salary in the Philippines varies in the line of job u are into. Is it a job offer? is it with travel allowance, commissions, with housing, company car, mobile phone etc? If it's an international company, they may offer u a lot of package & will help u relocate. Salaries also varies in different areas if it's in the City or outside the city. Philippines is inexpensive & u live like a king. If u spend the monthly wage wisely, u will be alright. But with a Filipina wife, I think she will guide u until u settled in the Manila. Depends to what your job is, expatriats salary range more or less Php45,000. Especially u are in the admin dept. But u can always check the package/ contract of agreement before you accept the job offer. Your expenses depends entirely with your lifestyles. If you are a chef cook & will be relocated if you work for them that sounds great. Philippines have loads of foreign chef cooks like Shangri-la Hotels etc....even beach resorts. If you plan to accept any job offer to work & relocated in the Phils, always check to them about the visa, cellphones, internet, accomodation, health insurance, medical, transportation allowance, phone bills, water/electricity. Are they going to pay your moving expenses? There are a lot of flats/ & studio to rent (more or less Php 17,000).

About visa to apply to live with your filipina wife...please check this website http://philembassy-uk.org/FAQa.html#208

good luck to your future plans.:Wave: