PDA

View Full Version : One More Step Along The Road WE Go ...

Arthur Little
24th February 2011, 00:55
:rolleyes: ... an appropriate opening for the first post of my 7th "millenia". Myrna and I travelled down to the UKBA's only Scottish PEO in my native city of Glasgow, today ... to present her application for ILR in person. Her appointment wasn't actually till 2 o'clock in the afternoon ... but we arrived just after midday ... and the staff were ever so helpful (well that's Glaswegians for you!) - from the security officials manning the gate, right through to the lady who affixed the precious RESIDENCE PERMIT to her passport.

Because we'd arrived ahead of time, all was "done & dusted" - even before the scheduled time of our appointment - and we emerged from the modern buildings with documents returned intact in less than an hour ... oblivious to the damp, drizzly :raining: weather conditions.

One scary moment did arise though. And that was at the beginning of the interview ... when the guy we saw first asked if we'd brought the Title Deeds of the house that I've lived in for nearly 43 years, :omg:! I hadn't, of course - despite Myrna advising me to include them last night! But luckily, his senior officer - who'd been hovering around at the time - overheard the question and verified that the Council Tax Bills we had provided amounted to proof enough that I was able to accommodate my wife without the need to resort to claiming public funds.

:) So - apart from momentary panic [on MY part] - all went smoothly ... thanks to valuable support from Aileen (Acs) who received her ILR by post two days ago and Joe Bloggs' ever-helpful guidance on when to apply. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

keithAngel
24th February 2011, 01:56
You dont look a day over 5 millenia Arthur congrats on the Visa :rolleyes:

joebloggs
24th February 2011, 08:31
:xxgrinning--00xx3: great news Arthur, deeds for the house :angry:
anyway thats over with :Jump:

Steve.r
24th February 2011, 08:46
Great news for u both :)

Terpe
24th February 2011, 08:55
Well done to you both.
Another one free from immigration constraints :xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
24th February 2011, 09:56
Now all you both need to do is rebuild that Hadrians Wall to keep those pesky English out :D

Doc Alan
24th February 2011, 10:19
Now all you both need to do is rebuild that Hadrians Wall to keep those pesky English out :D
...and buy your Scottish passports :Kilt::Kilt:
Well done ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevie c
24th February 2011, 10:34
well done arthur congratulations :Jump:

sars_notd_virus
24th February 2011, 10:57
well done ..Congratulations to both of you!!

Englishman2010
24th February 2011, 10:58
Well done to both of you:)

cessxy
24th February 2011, 11:36
Congrats Arthur and to your wife :):Wave::Hellooo:

Alan
24th February 2011, 11:37
Well done Arthur!! :)

Al.:)

Terpe
24th February 2011, 15:42
Arthur, well done also on passing the 7000 posts mark :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
24th February 2011, 16:21
well done to you both and well done arthur for the 7000:xxgrinning--00xx3:

acs
24th February 2011, 20:56
Well done Arthur and Myrna:xxgrinning--00xx3: now you can have a long nap and rest:icon_lol:. I know how stressful have been the both of you. Now that's done with, the next step to tackle will be the citizenship...see you again on that. For now congratulations again :Hellooo: colin and aileen.

Terpe
24th February 2011, 21:05
Well done Arthur and Myrna:xxgrinning--00xx3: now you can have a long nap and rest:icon_lol:. I know how stressful have been the both of you. Now that's done with, the next step to tackle will be the citizenship...see you again on that. For now congratulations again :Hellooo: colin and aileen.

Oh yes!!! Good reminder acs.
Arthur, better start saving right away for the British Citizenship step :icon_lol::icon_lol:
another wad needed.:icon_lol::icon_lol:
What a nice business for the gov't :rolleyes:

Arthur Little
24th February 2011, 21:46
Another BIG, BIG :68711_thanx: to everyone who responded to this thread. Yes, indeed ... the next - and hopefully final - step will be acquiring Myrna's British Citizenship. Correct me if I'm wrong here, anyone ... but I think it used to be the case - once upon a time - that a person from abroad *automatically became a British Citizen upon marriage to a Brit. Or was *that simply a "fairy tale" that did the rounds? :rolleyes:

stevewool
24th February 2011, 21:48
to many drams there i think arthur you must have dreamed that:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Rosie1958
24th February 2011, 23:24
Congratulations to you both, Arthur and Myrna, so pleased to hear that you've successfully obtained Myrna's ILR! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

aposhark
28th February 2011, 01:40
:rolleyes: ... an appropriate opening for the first post of my 7th "millenia". Myrna and I travelled down to the UKBA's only Scottish PEO in my native city of Glasgow, today ... to present her application for ILR in person. Her appointment wasn't actually till 2 o'clock in the afternoon ... but we arrived just after midday ... and the staff were ever so helpful (well that's Glaswegians for you!) - from the security officials manning the gate, right through to the lady who affixed the precious RESIDENCE PERMIT to her passport.

Because we'd arrived ahead of time, all was "done & dusted" - even before the scheduled time of our appointment - and we emerged from the modern buildings with documents returned intact in less than an hour ... oblivious to the damp, drizzly :raining: weather conditions.

One scary moment did arise though. And that was at the beginning of the interview ... when the guy we saw first asked if we'd brought the Title Deeds of the house that I've lived in for nearly 43 years, :omg:! I hadn't, of course - despite Myrna advising me to include them last night! But luckily, his senior officer - who'd been hovering around at the time - overheard the question and verified that the Council Tax Bills we had provided amounted to proof enough that I was able to accommodate my wife without the need to resort to claiming public funds.

:) So - apart from momentary panic [on MY part] - all went smoothly ... thanks to valuable support from Aileen (Acs) who received her ILR by post two days ago and Joe Bloggs' ever-helpful guidance on when to apply. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Hello Arthur :Wave:

Well done with Myrna's successful ILR :Jump::Jump::Jump:

I hope you don't mind me asking why you booked an appointment at a UK Border Agency Public Enquiry Office (PEO) instead of doing it online ?
I see from the UKBA website that it costs £350 extra to do it this way. (£1250 versus £900)

My wife will sit the "Life In the UK Test" soon. She arrived in the UK on 12th May 2009.

I'm just wondering what the benefits are applying for permanent residence in the office versus filling out the form and sending by post.

Brgds,
aposhark

Sim11UK
28th February 2011, 20:49
Well done to you both...a little late, but just been a bit busy, so have missed lots of posts. :)

Arthur Little
28th February 2011, 23:41
Congratulations to you both, Arthur and Myrna, so pleased to hear that you've successfully obtained Myrna's ILR! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:thankyou:, Rosie ... another hurdle over, thank God! [not forgetting the UKBA].

Arthur Little
28th February 2011, 23:57
Hello Arthur :Wave:

Well done with Myrna's successful ILR :Jump::Jump::Jump:

Hello, mate ... :68711_thanx:

I hope you don't mind me asking why you booked an appointment at a UK Border Agency Public Enquiry Office (PEO) instead of doing it online ?
I see from the UKBA website that it costs £350 extra to do it this way. (£1250 versus £900)

My wife will sit the "Life In the UK Test" soon. She arrived in the UK on 12th May 2009.

I'm just wondering what the benefits are applying for permanent residence in the office versus filling out the form and sending by post.

Not at all ... :nono-1-1: the reason we decided to fork out the extra £350 was because I'm none too patient when it comes to waiting up to 3 months or more for either good or bad news; it's far too stressful and nerve-wracking!! :anerikke: Best to "get it over and done with" is my motto. Besides, Glasgow's little more than an hour's bus ride from Perth ... so it would've been easy enough to *nip back home and return the next day with any crucial document(s) we'd forgotten. Thankfully, *that wasn't necessary.

Good Luck to Rochelyn when her turn comes. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
1st March 2011, 00:25
cangats arthur :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Lancashirelad
1st March 2011, 00:30
Congrats Arthur and Myrna :) i love happy endings

Arthur Little
1st March 2011, 00:45
Well done to you both...a little late, but just been a bit busy, so have missed lots of posts. :)

:68711_thanx:, Simon ... you know, it would please me no end to "see" your good lady here with you. And :rolleyes: ... IF only it were easier too, for other married couples ... like Alan & Hanna and Tony & Eliza. :doh

Arthur Little
1st March 2011, 01:05
cangats arthur :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Congrats Arthur and Myrna :) i love happy endings

Hi, guys ... Stewart and Dave ... :68711_thanx: both.

mikey73
1st March 2011, 09:06
congratulations myrna and arthur:)