PDA

View Full Version : Royal Brunei

worthingmale
23rd February 2011, 20:40
Hi

Anybody flown with Royal Brunei as they keep coming up pretty cheap at the moment.

Cheers

Nigel

Englishman2010
23rd February 2011, 21:01
Not yet but I've got a flight booked with them in April from Manila to Bandar Seri Begawan (Brunei)

I think Steve R has flown with them before

Steve.r
23rd February 2011, 21:32
Yes, I flew with them last September and again in April.

They are fine to fly with, no alcohol, but thats not a real problem. Food was good, service good. They are certainly no Emirates but they do what they say. Reasonable prices too. The flights go from Heathrow to Dubai for a refuel, then on to Bandar Seri, then change onto a smaller plane to Manila, only 2 hours.
The terminal in Brunei is very small, a few small shops for the tourists and a nice gold shop for trinkets.
If you have a good price go for it. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

gWaPito
23rd February 2011, 22:02
I flown with them in November, last year. The same route as our mod. The flights are fine, no complaints there. The downside was the refuel. I was told it would be a touchdown when in fact it was a case of going through airport security again, taking around 2 hours The same again at the next stop. I was mis sold the tickets Had I had known I would never had flown with them, and all for the sake of saving a few quid! What I call a changeover is for example, singapore airlines, you fly to singapore, get off the plane, you are directed to another gate, wait 45 minutes then board and fly, none of this airport security nonsense over and over!

Steve.r
23rd February 2011, 22:59
I never had the same experience as our member, the change over in Dubai was just 30 minutes. We did have to walk through security again, but by the time you walk there and back (nice to stretch your legs) it was time to re-board. My change in Bandar Seri was only a couple of hours and away again. Nothing to stress over. So save a few quid, it is worth it. :)

gWaPito
23rd February 2011, 23:49
Had I not of flown with anybody else, I would said that trip was the best thing since the invention of sliced bread. The fact is, I have and its not. The savings in my opinion dont represent good value compared to say Singapore Airlines.

Steve.r
23rd February 2011, 23:57
Had I not of flown with anybody else, I would said that trip was the best thing since the invention of sliced bread. The fact is, I have and its not. The savings in my opinion dont represent good value compared to say Singapore Airlines.

Agreed, but if you want to go on a limited budget, then it's fine. I like to go on Emirates given the choice, I guess Sing too, but at the end of the day, all flights mean sitting on your rear for 16 to 19 hours, there isn't that much between them really.

Englishman2010
24th February 2011, 11:06
Agreed, but if you want to go on a limited budget, then it's fine. I like to go on Emirates given the choice, I guess Sing too, but at the end of the day, all flights mean sitting on your rear for 16 to 19 hours, there isn't that much between them really.

Two refuelling stops is as much as I'd put up with, and as long as they aren't too long. As you say Steve, it gives you a chance to stretch your legs. I'm going to Manila with Saudi in a few weeks, that includes a 3 hour transit in Saudi and a 45 min re-fuel plus drop off and pick up in Hong Kong. Total travelling time is around 20 hours, I can put up with that for a £300 saving over KLM or Emirates.

Steve.r
24th February 2011, 11:11
I can put up with that for a £300 saving over KLM or Emirates.
£300 saved is £300 to spend later on your trip :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Englishman2010
24th February 2011, 11:58
£300 saved is £300 to spend later on your trip :xxgrinning--00xx3:

My thoughts too:xxgrinning--00xx3: However much I like Emirates, £300 extra is a lot to spend just to fly with them. By compromising my choice of airlines and departure airport, I've booked 3 trips east this year for less than £1350, thats normally what I'd pay for 2 trips with Emirates or KLM from Birmingham.

gWaPito
24th February 2011, 14:31
Rather you than me guys. That middle east hanging around nonsense is not for me. Id rather put in 2 days overtime to pay for the £300 difference. For me, the holiday starts when I get in the taxi to the airport.

Steve.r
24th February 2011, 14:42
Id rather put in 2 days overtime to pay for the £300 difference. .

Some of us do not have that luxury, i wish i had the overtime where i could get paid and be paid that much. You are very fortunate to be able to choose. :cwm24:

Englishman2010
24th February 2011, 14:57
I understand what you're saying Gwap, but for me it makes the difference between going maybe twice or even 3 or 4 times a year. As we know the cost of the trip isn't just the flight, it's all the extras on top such as accomodation, internal flights for two and food/meals/entertainment for two. If Emirates or KLM are only £100 extra from Brum I'll go with them, as it saves me the expense of having to pay £100 to park at Heathrow, plus my fuel to get there.

Steve.r
24th February 2011, 15:57
I guess to sum up for the OP, Royal Brunei are a good airline, they get you to your destination on time, with minimal disruption (depending on your interpretation of that). They maybe do not have the bells and whistles of the world's number one airline, but you can save your precious pennies by booking with them.

So, it's a :xxgrinning--00xx3: from me

stevewool
24th February 2011, 16:17
must admit the savings line is my way too, the only thing that could swing it is the waiting between flights some are very very long some are short, hate to wait over say 5 hours, but each to there own, and whats overtime with pay is that a new thing just come out:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

gWaPito
24th February 2011, 17:12
I get your point English man:xxgrinning--00xx3: I would do the same in your situation. Steve r Im not a lotto winner, i work hard for what I get. 2 days overtime is 18hrs over my 45hrs 5 day working week. Thats how we do things in the south :icon_lol:

gWaPito
24th February 2011, 17:34
In case you ask, my inside leg measurement is 34in

worthingmale
24th February 2011, 20:07
wish I could the lottery and fly first class hahahahahaha

thanks for the repsonses

Englishman2010
24th February 2011, 20:12
wish I could the lottery and fly first class hahahahahaha

thanks for the repsonses

If I win the lottery, it will be a one way flight on my own privately chartered jet:D

gWaPito
24th February 2011, 20:45
You and me both Englishman :D:xxgrinning--00xx3:

jimeve
26th February 2011, 16:14
Just looked at their site and got £ 820 in Jan 2012( economy ) :Erm: not including tax.

Englishman2010
26th February 2011, 16:17
Just looked at their site and got £ 820 in Jan 2012( economy ) :Erm:

Royal Brunei? try Saudi, I've just paid £396 for the end of Dec/Jan:xxgrinning--00xx3:

jimeve
26th February 2011, 16:47
Royal Brunei? try Saudi, I've just paid £396 for the end of Dec/Jan:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thanks Englishman, will try. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Just tryed..... Saudi GBP 3,834.63.... have you missed a commer after 3

Terpe
26th February 2011, 17:17
Think I'll give Royal Brunei a miss. No champagne to help my phobia :D

Englishman2010
26th February 2011, 17:20
Thanks Englishman, will try. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Just tryed..... Saudi GBP 3,834.63.... have you missed a commer after 3

:icon_lol:Are you looking at First Class? I definitely paid £396.67 for an economy return ticket, it's even on my credit card statement to confirm

jimeve
26th February 2011, 17:26
:icon_lol:Are you looking at First Class? I definitely paid £396.67 for an economy return ticket, it's even on my credit card statement to confirm

It says guest :Erm: do you have to be a member.

Englishman2010
26th February 2011, 17:58
No guest class is their equivalent of economy class. Have you tried playing around with the dates to see if that brings the prices down? I'm sure someone said the other day that prices were still around the £400 mark with Saudi.

jimeve
26th February 2011, 18:58
No guest class is their equivalent of economy class. Have you tried playing around with the dates to see if that brings the prices down? I'm sure someone said the other day that prices were still around the £400 mark with Saudi.

Yeah, moved the dates around and found some at £390. still got to get to London from Manchester.
an extra £ 190 though. might be easier to go with KLM from Manchester via Amsterdam.

Englishman2010
26th February 2011, 19:04
Yeah, moved the dates around and found some at £390. still got to get to London from Manchester.
an extra £ 190 though. might be easier to go with KLM from Manchester via Amsterdam.

That's a good point, I always go from Brum if it's no more than £150 more than Heathrow. It costs £100 to park at Heathrow for 2 weeks, plus around £40 in fuel to get there, and the extra hassle and time of getting there. Brum is £33 each way in a taxi and no more than half an hour for me.

jimeve
26th February 2011, 19:12
That's a good point, I always go from Brum if it's no more than £150 more than Heathrow. It costs £100 to park at Heathrow for 2 weeks, plus around £40 in fuel to get there, and the extra hassle and time of getting there. Brum is £33 each way in a taxi and no more than half an hour for me.

Just looked at KLM.. £ 702. Very good connection times no more than 2 hours waiting times. prices might drop yet.

Englishman2010
26th February 2011, 19:31
Just looked at KLM.. £ 702. Very good connection times no more than 2 hours waiting times. prices might drop yet.

Fingers crossed for you:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
26th February 2011, 19:50
Jim, I have a strong feeling that the price will not drop