PDA

View Full Version : Tagay tayo ! Cheers ! ...in moderation !

Doc Alan
23rd February 2011, 15:20
Once again alcohol is in the news - the UK is the European leader for alcohol-related disease. Alcohol causes 80% of deaths from liver disease. Unlike most other chronic diseases and cancers, premature deaths from alcoholic liver disease in the UK have increased dramatically in the past 40 years. Actually alcohol consumption has fallen in the past decade, but fewer people are doing the drinking. Our NHS gives a disjointed service, with few alcohol care teams in hospitals and little coordination between hospitals, GP's, public and social health services.
As with other marketing activity, the "4 P's" apply - Price, Place of sale (availability), Promotions, and Product. We have somehow to change the binge-drinking "culture" also through Promotion of health and education.
In the Philippines there is not so much data on the extent of alcohol abuse. Many filipinos don't consider it a health problem and don't seek early treatment. Production of beer and other liquors is profitable - look at the San Miguel Corporation. Beer, and now wine, consumption is increasing. There is lax monitoring of sales although the minimum legal age is 18. Underage drinking is common. Drinking in public was banned during last year's elections, but I saw drinking on the streets during fiestas, the police cautioned the drinkers, then disappeared ! Private rehabilitation centres are available ...at a price.
If you don't drink, there is no reason to start for health reasons ! However, moderate drinking is probably beneficial by increasing "good cholesterol" and reducing the risk of heart disease.
"Moderate" means : 2 - 3 units / day for women and 3 - 4 units / day for men, with 1 or 2 alcohol - free days / week, and no binge - drinking. This is not sexist - women are more susceptible to the risks of alcohol abuse. So, in practice, a daily large glass of wine or pint of beer may have overall health benefits that outweigh risks.
Tagay tayo ! Cheers ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
23rd February 2011, 18:12
Nice thread Doc.
Again, thanks for your efforts.
As for me, I like a drink. I can honestly say though, since I quit smoking I don't partake as much as I used to.
I have never been a 'binge' drinker as seen on many a TV program about Friday nights.
It's just the same in any town I guess, and that's one big reason not to go in those areas at night. Risk management.

Englishman2010
23rd February 2011, 20:16
I can honestly say that if I never touched another drop of alcohol it really wouldn't concern me. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a drink, and usually have a couple of San Migs at night when I'm in the Phil's. However, when I'm back in the UK, I go 3 or 4 months without a drink. There isn't any alcohol in my house, as I've never seen any attraction in drinking on my own at home.
I wish I could have the same approach to my nicotine addiction:rolleyes:

Doc Alan
23rd February 2011, 23:37
I think what Terpe and Ian ("Englishman") say, albeit only two members, reflects the reality in the UK today. People of mature age (no offence intended) are not the main problem nowadays, in the UK or the Philippines. Three quarters of the alcohol sold in the UK is consumed by hazardous and harmful drinkers. Teenagers, with an increasing proportion of young women, are heading out already under the influence of cheap supermarket cider, premium strength lager, and alcopops which they have consumed at home ("pre-loading"). Alcohol in the Philippines is also much more expensive in bars. It's said that in the UK for every 8 people who receive simple alcohol advice, only 1 will reduce their drinking to within lower risk levels. In part this is because too many NHS staff are uninterested and / or judgemental - not surprising given denial of alcohol problems by NHS workers. It's also been said, perhaps unfairly, that an alcoholic is someone who drinks more than their doctor.
Some may think that the recommended safe limits in the UK are unrealistically low. One in three men and one in five women drink more than the recommended limits. Unfortunately the risks then begin to outweigh the benefits. Short term, these are anxiety, sexual difficulties such as impotence, loss of consciousness, accidents, suffocation from choking on vomit, and fatal poisoning. Long term include certain types of cancer (especially breast), memory loss or dementia, heart disease and stroke, and of course liver disease (cirrhosis and cancer).

Arthur Little
24th February 2011, 02:04
I can honestly say that if I never touched another drop of alcohol it really wouldn't concern me.

Same goes for me, Ian ... with any kind of alcohol - except perhaps, cider - but I do relish :D my pipe!

Doc Alan
24th February 2011, 18:20
I'm most grateful to the three members who bothered to post in response to my thread, with 68 views so far.
It really makes me wonder whether it's worthwhile having a "Health Issues" section. Certainly I will think twice about spending time preparing more threads, which are of relevance both in the UK and the Philippines, but clearly not of interest to the vast majority of members. It's not as if all the facts about alcohol, nor the best solution(s) to the problems it causes, are already known! I've taken note of recent articles in the British Medical Journal, Lancet, and from the Philippines. Cheers indeed :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

stevewool
24th February 2011, 18:39
since being alone a few years ago i did not drink, before with the ex we drank most days not silly but drank, anyway like i say i have not touch much at all infact i would say you could count it on both hands what i have drunk, dont miss it and like ian says its ok a bottle on holiday, i think its the caes of being alone you dont drink, but with emma here its either tea, soft drinks or water,

stevewool
24th February 2011, 18:42
hi there Alan i did not know we had a health thread before a few days ago . i will be reading and adding to this more soon, each day i feel so tied, its mainly the mornings , i think its lack of sleep , i am blamming my emma for this lack of sleep, do you think seperate rooms may help or shoukld i just lay there and take it,maybe if i wore dark glasses i could fall asleep:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Englishman2010
24th February 2011, 20:21
Keep on posting these health threads please Doc. I may not always reply, but I do read them and find the information very useful. As you have already mentioned that I am of a mature age:rolleyes::icon_lol:, health is something that I take very seriously now - exercise, diet, weight control and minimal drinking, with nicotine being my major vice.

jimeve
24th February 2011, 20:25
Drinking red wine is good for you, in moderation of course, so is whiskey, thins the blood so Iam told.

Terpe
24th February 2011, 20:51
Drinking red wine is good for you, in moderation of course, so is whiskey, thins the blood so Iam told.

Sorry to say I hate whiskey. In fact all spirits. If I drink it's because I'm thirsty, so lager is my usual. If I'm enjoying a relaxing meal I drink wine. A habit I picked up after living in France for a number of years.

Doc Alan
25th February 2011, 02:00
I've already said in moderation, because risks of other diseases increases the more you drink. As for "thinning the blood", alcohol soon has a diuretic effect, promoting water loss through the kidneys, and could result in dehydration especially if there is high alcohol content, such as whisky. Each single shot of whisky results in about 75ml fluid loss. Wine also causes dehydration because about 350 ml of urine is produced for every large (250 ml) glass consumed. Beer and lager take in more fluid than is lost through the diuretic effect of the alcohol.
The long term effect of alcohol on "blood thinning" ( anti-clotting effect) is said to be most marked with red wine, but it has also been claimed for whisky, especially single malts. But don't start drinking for medicinal purposes !

simpleHeart
25th February 2011, 02:31
Doc Alan..I wonder if one of our liquor had the effect too,..Well, it just a Tanduay Ice and Gilbey's Premium Strength(GPS)..It used to be as lady's drnk?:Erm:

Doc Alan
25th February 2011, 10:15
Doc Alan..I wonder if one of our liquor had the effect too,..Well, it just a Tanduay Ice and Gilbey's Premium Strength(GPS)..It used to be as lady's drnk?:Erm:
I'm not familiar with this drink, but I guess there are 2 units / glass, in which case one or two drinks ( but not every day ) should be OK.
But this whole topic is a minefield ! Cancer Research UK reminds us that alcohol is a risk factor for cancer (breast, liver, large bowel, mouth and throat) , although factors other than alcohol pose a bigger risk. So while there is no completely safe level of drinking, moderation must surely be the answer !

sars_notd_virus
25th February 2011, 10:46
Tagay tayo ! Cheers ! ...in moderation !

warning tips:

don't drink when your tummy is empty.
don't drink alone ,when you are sad , depress and lonely.
and don't drink alcohol and think its a water.

Me and my husband loves to share a pint of beer,glass of wine every after dinner...we also have several nite outs with our friends and family but we don't drink much only a couple as he will be driving...A little of what we fancy is not bad and we consider it healthy if we are drinking together and HAPPY.

Rosie1958
25th February 2011, 10:51
I'm probably one of a minority as I don't drink alcohol, smoke, take drugs OR eat chocolate :omg: It's accepted that I am one of the older generation (I certainly don't feel it) but I have never needed alcohol to have a good time, it doesn't interest me and never will.

The antics of some of our younger (and older) generation seen rolling around and fighting in the streets at weekends in an alcohol infused stupor is pathetic ..... a sentiment also shared by my 22 year old son who spends his time on the beat picking them up and taking them to the police cells to sleep it off.

Alcohol is very cheap to purchase but that's not why we have so many alcoholics, in my opinion, it's behaviours that need to be addressed. Easier said than done for those that are already caught in the depths of despair of alcoholism (especially their families) but we can all contribute by setting standards, providing guidance and being a good role model parent to our offspring.

raynaputi
25th February 2011, 12:30
I rarely drink..well coz I know if I drink, I immediately turned RED! well my skin..hahaha..besides I don't like the taste of it..though If I do drink (very minimal amount for sure), it's the Tequila (max of 3-4 shots only) or Cosmopolitan that I always choose..:xxgrinning--00xx3:

mickcant
25th February 2011, 12:41
Hi all,:Wave:
I used to brew home made wine and beer, and was a Wine and Beer Judge
In my 20s to 40s but now at 66 rarely drink alcohol; I would sooner have Cranberry juice!

Doc Alan, do you have any thoughts or information on the amount of Drs with Alcohol problems themselves, would this affect their advice to patients?
Mick.:Erm:

Doc Alan
25th February 2011, 13:17
... do you have any thoughts or information on the amount of Drs with Alcohol problems themselves, would this affect their advice to patients?
Mick.:Erm:
I'm aware that there is public concern because of media suggestions that there is a high level of alcoholism among doctors. There is also a culture of unsafe drinking among medical students (like other young people). To my knowledge, the evidence is inconclusive for doctors drinking more than anyone else. It's difficult to get that evidence because there is a culture of denial, they present late for treatment, colleagues may "cover up" for them, and the NHS does not provide central funding for care of doctors in difficulty. It could affect their advice, although obviously doctors should be non-judgemental.
It's worthwhile being honest about this topic. Several members have been honest about smoking habits. I drink about 18 units / week ( 2 pints of cider twice weekly at my bar = 12 units, share a bottle of wine at the weekend = 4 units, one glass of wine / week on my own, with a meal = 2 units), 3 alcohol-free days. Not sure how familiar filipino members are with our "units" ?

Doc Alan
25th February 2011, 13:22
Good advice from Mari (sars_notd_ virus) and Rosie, cheers :xxgrinning--00xx3:

mickcant
25th February 2011, 13:27
Thanks Doc,
A saving grace for me is that I tried a cigerett at 15 when first staring work and did not like it:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Despite being brought up in a smoking household.
Mick.:)

Terpe
25th February 2011, 17:59
Two things I heard on the radio this afternoon.

1. Eating too much red meat may be linked to bowel cancer. (That's a topic for a new thread)

2. Moderate alcohol drinkers live longer than both excessive drinkers and teetotalers.
They said it can flush out the bad cholesterol (the type that clogs arteries)
Also that alcohol may reduce the risk of heart disease by up to 20%.
But that moderate alcohol consumption is only beneficial to men over 40
Younger men shouldn't justify drinking on medical grounds at all.

Great new for me then :olddude:

Arthur Little
25th February 2011, 18:22
I rarely drink ... besides I don't like the taste of it ...

... nor me, :NoNo: if I'm being one hundred percent honest!

Arthur Little
25th February 2011, 19:16
I'm probably one of a minority as I don't drink alcohol, smoke, take drugs OR eat chocolate :omg: It's accepted that I am one of the older generation (I certainly don't feel it) but I have never needed alcohol to have a good time, it doesn't interest me and never will.

The antics of some of our younger (and older) generation seen rolling around and fighting in the streets at weekends in an alcohol infused stupor is pathetic ..... a sentiment also shared by my 22 year old son who spends his time on the beat picking them up and taking them to the police cells to sleep it off.

Alcohol is very cheap to purchase but that's not why we have so many alcoholics, in my opinion, it's behaviours that need to be addressed. Easier said than done for those that are already caught in the depths of despair of alcoholism (especially their families) but we can all contribute by setting standards, providing guidance and being a good role model parent to our offspring.

:thankyou: for a very sensible - and thought-provoking - post, Rosie ... although I do confess to having a weakness for Cadbury chocolate ... yummy! :t11t2: Shouldn't really be eating it, though :nono-1-1: - since I'm supposedly a "borderline" diabetic! :cwm24:

As an already fully-fledged member of the older generation, :iagree: whole-heartedly with your views on anti-social behaviour ... so often "inflamed" :devil-smiley-029: by excessive consumption of the "demon drink"!

Doc Alan
25th February 2011, 19:36
Moderate alcohol drinkers live longer than both excessive drinkers and teetotalers.
They said it can flush out the bad cholesterol (the type that clogs arteries)
Also that alcohol may reduce the risk of heart disease by up to 20%.
But that moderate alcohol consumption is only beneficial to men over 40
Younger men shouldn't justify drinking on medical grounds at all.

Great new for me then :olddude:
It is ...if you recall exactly what was said on the radio ! I'm not convinced about moderate drinking increasing longevity compared to "teetotalers" - are the latter life-long, or ex-alcoholics?
I've already said it may raise "good" cholesterol and lower "bad" cholesterol.
I'm cautious about putting a figure (20%) on the benefits.
Nobody should justify taking up drinking on health grounds.
The limits thought to be safe for women are lower than for men because of how their body treats alcohol, but as 1/5 women ( and 1/3 men ) in the UK drink more than the recommended amounts, there is clearly a problem in the UK.
As for the Philippines (never forgetting this is FILIPINO UK forum), maybe it's a reflection of the conservative filipinos I know, but I don't think alcohol is such a problem, compared to UK.
Several filipina friends don't drink at all, unlike my British friends. Even at the Aegis Band concert which I was at last May, drinking was much more restrained than at similar events in UK. This has to be my opinion, because hard facts are more difficult to obtain from Philippines than UK.

Englishman2010
25th February 2011, 23:00
As for the Philippines (never forgetting this is FILIPINO UK forum), maybe it's a reflection of the conservative filipinos I know, but I don't think alcohol is such a problem, compared to UK.
Several filipina friends don't drink at all, unlike my British friends. Even at the Aegis Band concert which I was at last May, drinking was much more restrained than at similar events in UK. This has to be my opinion, because hard facts are more difficult to obtain from Philippines than UK.

From my own observations in the Phil's, young women generally drink less than the equivalent aged women in the UK, but I think Filipino men of all ages enjoy a good drink and can certainly put away a huge quantity. Every time I went out with a gang of Filipino's, I was surprised by the amount they drank....or was it just because I was picking up the tab:rolleyes:

Ako Si Jamie
25th February 2011, 23:46
From my own observations in the Phil's, young women generally drink less than the equivalent aged women in the UKThat's a major understatement :icon_lol:

Englishman2010
26th February 2011, 00:20
That's a major understatement :icon_lol:

Generally, unless they are bar girls. I met a few in Sing a couple of years ago and they could drink most of my mates sea fairing buddies under the table:omg:

Sim11UK
26th February 2011, 08:24
I don't drink much these days, but enjoy a drink when I do.
Have been in that situation many times, when I couldn't remember the night before...just part of growing up...no regrets.
I even broke my arm once, cycling home from a country pub...went straight over the handlebars. Most City centres aren't a particularly pleasant site these days, with people falling out of bars, but I suppose there are a lot more bars now?

As for the Philippines, I don't know the bar culture, but there is definately a 'problem', plenty of men sitting around with groups of friends getting drunk.

Doc Alan
26th March 2011, 12:20
What is an alcoholic ? Not someone who drinks more than their doctor ( although that may sometimes be true) :NoNo:.
It's one whose repeated drinking leads to harm in their work, social life, or health.
There are two sets of screening questions, used with variable success by doctors to suggest a drink problem.
CAGE : ever felt you ought to Cut down on drinking ?
have people Annoyed you by criticising your drinking?
ever felt bad or Guilty about drinking ?
ever had an "Eye-opener" to steady nerves in the
morning?
TWEAK : have you an increased Tolerance of alcohol ? (2 points)
do you Worry about your drinking ? (2 points)
ever had alcohol as an Eye-opener in the morning ? (1 point)
ever get Amnesia after drinking ? (1 point)
ever felt the need to c(K)ut down on drinking ? ( 1 point)
Answers "yes" to two CAGE questions, or a score of 2 or more with TWEAK, suggests an alcohol problem, bearing in mind that denial is a leading feature of alcoholism.

Doc Alan
27th March 2011, 20:08
Reassuring that alcoholism is not a problem to members :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

Doc Alan
12th April 2011, 21:52
Alcohol is again in the news because of a study reported in the BMJ (British Medical Journal). About 10% of male cancers and 3% of female cancers are "attributable to alcohol consumption" in European countries including UK. They include mouth, gullet, liver, large bowel, and breast.
Should we worry ? My opinion remains that if you enjoy a drink, continue in moderation :xxgrinning--00xx3:
The article is available online (http://www.bmj.com/content/342/bmj.d1584.full), but it's not easy reading.