PDA

View Full Version : Refused at manila airport

Scottie1875
15th February 2011, 13:43
Hi everybody, I was looking for a little advice.

My Sister in Law was travelling to Sweden for 3 months to stay with her boyfriend. She lives in the philippines. She applied for her Schengen Visa and was approved. She turned up at the airport today to fly out and they wouldn't let her leave the country, saying she didn't have enough money on her for her 3 months stay.

She had $300 on her but that was just for her travelling money. Of course when she gets to Sweden he Boyfriend will pay for her stay.

Surely if she has a visa for the country and shes been through all the checks they shouldn't refuse her to leave the country.

What should she do now? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Many thanks...

Owen

johncar54
15th February 2011, 14:21
A friend of mine's, gf had the same problem. I sent an email confirming that I would be responsible to all her expenses and they allowed her to fly the following day (paying the extra charges of course).

I would suggest to anyone in a similar position to get a letter from the bf / friend etc confirming they will pay all expenses.

joebloggs
15th February 2011, 14:21
i would have thought they should/would have phoned her boyfriend and got him to confirm that he was going to sponsor her finances, and he must have done a letter stating this when she applied for the visa?? maybe she should have taken a copy with her??...

who refused her? normally immigration in sweden would refuse her when she lands, not unless they check first in manila ?. I suppose they can refuse her, becuase when she applied for the visa, she could have shown she had £1,000s and but she gets to the airport only $300 and no credit cards etc :NoNo: if she has no money the chances are they will think she will work llegally

Terpe
15th February 2011, 14:22
Similar stories seem to be cropping up more often.
It may have something to do with the tightening up of human trafficking laws, and the impacts of immigration staff being stricter on how they view the regulations.

Sorry I can't offer a solution. The immigration people can pull up and question anyone they feel a need to.
How old is she?
Did she request to speak with a manager?

Probably one of the things to do is to have the immigration office explain which specific rules she needs to comply with.

That's really tough for her.

grahamw48
15th February 2011, 14:51
Similar stories seem to be cropping up more often.
It may have something to do with the tightening up of human trafficking laws, and the impacts of immigration staff being stricter on how they view the regulations.

Sorry I can't offer a solution. The immigration people can pull up and question anyone they feel a need to.
How old is she?
Did she request to speak with a manager?

Probably one of the things to do is to have the immigration office explain which specific rules she needs to comply with.

That's really tough for her.

It IS to do with anti-people trafficking laws.

The US has tied in the the tightening up of of these with future financial assistance packages.

There has also been an inter-departmental dispute involving the BOI, which hasn't helped matters.

The immigration officials feel entitled to consider that a young lady travelling abroad from a poor country, and with limited funds, may be going there on the basis of false promises, possibly to be channelled into the sex industry, possibly also to become an over-stayer in that country, leading to repatriation expenses being funded by the Philippines Govt.

Let's all be grateful for the freedoms that WE have in our country. :rolleyes:

Now maybe the human rights people will get to work on helping the Filipina slaves kept by diplomats from certain (mainly middle-eastern) countries...but of course they have oil and money. :NoNo:

johncar54
15th February 2011, 14:58
When my friend wanted his GF to join him for a holiday in Thailand I wrote to the RP immigration asking what she would require. This is my email:-
A friend of ours, a Filipino, is intending to travel to Thailand for an 11
day holiday. I have just visited your web page and it shows she will
only need a valid passport (she has a new one just issued) and her return
ticket. No visa needed to Thailand.
My wife tells me she is certain that the friend will need a stamp from CFO and maybe more!
I should be grateful if you advise what she will in fact need.

Many thanks, salamat, John C ..........

REPLY From: "BI Helpdesk" <xinfo@immigration.gov.ph>
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 11:06 PM
To: "John Car........." ....... @ ...........>
Subject: Re: Bureau of Immigration, Philippines: Filipipno travelling to
Thailand as a tourist.

She only needs to present a valid passport and a confirmed return ticket at the airport of exit.

The CFO stamp is only for immigrants and not for tourist.

> Have a nice day.

Despite this undertaking she was not allowed to leave.

I then sent this fax to Immigration and she was then allowed to leave.

FAX .0063 2 8795917 13th November, 2008.
Chief Immigration Officer.
Immigration Dept, R.O.P. Manila

RE Miss Arleen D..... , Passport No. XX.............

Who was booked on PAL flight PR730 on 13th November 2008, flying to Bangkok, with a return ticket to MNL on 9th December, 2008.

The original ticket was booked by me on-line and paid for on my VISA credit card, No. XXXXxXXXXXXX 6826.

I subsequently changed the return date to 9th December Ms Diaz. I sent the money for the additional payment to Ms Diaz and she paid in PAL office in Makati.

The reason for the trip is to meet her fiancé Carl N ......... , a personal friend of mine. The couple were introduced by me and my Filipino wife and Carl stayed in Manila with Ms Diaz a couple of months ago. They are booked to stay at Asia Pattaya Hotel, room 707, 352 Moo 12 Pratamnak Road. Nongprue, Pattaya City, Cholburi 20150 Thailand. Tel : +66(0)38 250401-11 Fax: +66(0)2 215 9005

In January Carl N...... will travel to Manila, with documentation to permit him to marry Ms Diaz in early February, 2009. They will then apply for a visa for Ms Diaz, then Mrs Arleen N........., to reside permanently in Spain.

I hereby undertake and guarantee, to be fully responsible for all costs for Ms Diaz for her holiday in Thailand and for her return to Philippines. She has travel insurance which was arranged by Carl N..........

(John C ............)
my address .........

UK Passport Number 705......... Copy attached.

grahamw48
15th February 2011, 15:08
Things have changed significantly since then, as I have outlined in my post above.

Terpe
15th February 2011, 15:12
Couple of Interesting headliners from the Immigration website:-

Immigration chief exhorts men to sustain anti-trafficking drive

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=670&Itemid=78

2 OFWs nabbed at NAIA for trying to bribe BI man

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=669&Itemid=78

No mention of what to do if you get stopped/refused.

Scottie1875
15th February 2011, 16:08
Thanks for all the responses.

I am still waiting to hear exactly what happened at the airport. I will let you all know how she gets on and hopefully she will be able to travel once she has letter of support from her bf.

Thanks,

Owen

Terpe
15th February 2011, 16:17
Thanks for all the responses.

I am still waiting to hear exactly what happened at the airport. I will let you all know how she gets on and hopefully she will be able to travel once she has letter of support from her bf.

Thanks,

Owen

Owen, does this mean she no letter from her B/F?
I'd be willing to bet that would be one of the reasons.

Please let us whatever info you can. It can all help others to provide appropriate documents.
Hope she is OK ?

Scottie1875
15th February 2011, 17:29
I believe there was definately a letter of support sent to the Embassy as part of her visa application but I don't think she had anything like that on her when she went to the airport to travel.

johncar54
15th February 2011, 17:40
Aren't we confusing the point here.

Its nothing to do with applying for the visa but being allowed to leave RP.

As I quoted above,, the RP immigrantion dept say:-- a citizen only needs to present a valid passport and a confirmed return ticket at the airport of exit.

Then they start inventing reasons to punish their citizens.

Scottie1875
15th February 2011, 17:46

As I quoted above,, the RP immigrantion dept say:-- a citizen only needs to present a valid passport and a confirmed return ticket at the airport of exit.

I agree, there should not have been any reason for her to be refused permission to leave when she had a valid visa, passport and return ticket.

Terpe
15th February 2011, 18:12
As both Graham and I have said previously, the Human Trafficking laws have been very significantly tightened up. This has resulted in immigration officers being actively encouraged to utlise both their powers and their discretion in allowing the exit or not from Phils.

johncar54
15th February 2011, 18:17
Ok but does it say anywhere (on line) that a citizens must have anything other than a valid passport and a confirmed return ticket at the airport of exit. ?

Terpe
15th February 2011, 18:38
Ok but does it say anywhere (on line) that a citizens must have anything other than a valid passport and a confirmed return ticket at the airport of exit. ?

Yes.
It does. (More research would surely yield more information)
Take a look at this this:-
Friday, 11 February 2011 16:21:34 PHT
The immigration reply to my letter, girlfriend refused to leave Manila on a tourist visa.
Dear Sir:

Please be advised that the Bureau of Immigration, as a member of the Inter-Agency Council Against Trafficking, is implementing strict departure formalities for certain Filipinos (BI Memorandum Order No. RPL-10-004 dated 09 August 2010). This regulation of the right to travel is pursuant to the Anti-Trafficking in Persons Act of 2003 (RA 9208) and other allied laws, and applies to those who are reasonably detected to be in a potential trafficking situation. This means that every departing passenger is assessed based on the totality of the circumstances at the time of departure, by scrutinizing the passport, ticket, visa or purpose of travel, capacity of the passenger to undertake the particular purpose of travel or that who is guaranteeing the travel, the authenticity of the POEA documents, if applicable, etc.
The regulation of the right to travel however does not authorize our Immigration Officers to treat passengers with discourtesy nor to extort money. If you feel that the Immigration Officer acted in such a manner, please feel free to execute a sworn written statement and trust that it shall be given appropriate and administrative due course.

Comment by observer:-
Thanks for sharing this. Unfortunately, Filipinos are often recruited by various unscrupulous recruiters, who abuse them once abroad, including such horrible things as slavery and forced prostitution, to prevent this, and to avoid Philippine embassies and consulates being troubled with people seeking help, the named laws have been implemented. To avoid being denied exit, depending on your travel purpose and destination, you will be required to follow various types of seminars, or submit yet more documentation about your travel sponsor.

A further complication is that some immigration officials see this as an opportunity to extract money from people wishing to leave the country, forcing them to either hand over several hundreds of dollars on the spot, or miss your flight. The best remedy here is to know the regulations exactly, and have an abundance of paperwork available to make your point.

I've also found that leaving through some of the alternative airports (Cebu, Davao, etc.) is far more relaxed than departing from NAIA.

Pete/London
15th February 2011, 19:01
Just a thought as it hasn`t been mentioned, does anyone know her age and would this have any bearing on the refusal:Erm:

joebloggs
15th February 2011, 19:27

exactly, i can understand if she had arrived in sweden and immigration had asked her about her finances and refused her entry but not even to leave manila :NoNo:

Terpe
15th February 2011, 19:31
Just a thought as it hasn`t been mentioned, does anyone know her age and would this have any bearing on the refusal:Erm:

Good point. I already raised this and asked the question in post #4
This issue is obviously part of the profiling

Pete/London
15th February 2011, 19:43
Good point. I already raised this and asked the question in post #4
This issue is obviously part of the profiling

Sorry I missed that in your post Terpe, could be very relevant :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
15th February 2011, 20:11
her age and would this have any bearing on the refusal:Erm:

Reckon it could have :rolleyes: ... IF she happened to be a "minor" travelling alone. But there again, would she have been granted a visa at all if she were under 21, for instance?

Or does this ruling only apply to those applying for settlement abroad?

Scottie1875
15th February 2011, 20:14
She is 27 years old

Arthur Little
15th February 2011, 20:28
She is 27 years old

In that case, Owen ... I'm quite frankly, baffled :23_111_9[1]: ... because - if you remember - you'd been worried if she'd need to go through the *CFO palaver on leaving the Phils. And it was me who assured you that she wouldn't ... as *this only applied to emigrants.

Arthur Little
15th February 2011, 20:34
It's really hard lines that your sister-in-law is going through all this - to my mind - unnecessary hassle :angry: ... and I hope she receives an apology from Immigration once things have been sorted out.

grahamw48
15th February 2011, 20:39
The ruling applies to ALL Filipinos.

All that has happened is that (as I said in my previous post) the Phils govt. have instructed their employees to do their job and carry out the law which has been in force since 2003.

As I also previously stated (not getting at you here), this has come about mainly due to pressure from the US govt, which is at present negotiating new loans...half a billion dollars worth.

As we all know, there are thousands of laws in the Phils, just that many are routinely circumvented, often through bribery and corruption.

On this occasion the corrupt immigration officials were made an example of, so making the scrutiny of departing travellers even more of a sore point.

I have been updated on this situation within the past few days by several friends currently resident in the Phils, and involved in the travel business.

The situation regarding immigration practices, visas etc changes practically by the month in the Phils, so it is no use anyone quoting what happened to them or their friends in 2009.

As far back as 2003 my step-daughter (aged 14) who was returning from Phils to UK (where she had previously been resident for 4 years !) on a Filipino passport, had to be accompanied by her mother.
This meant her mother, who had gone on ahead to the UK, had to return at a cost of £600 just to travel with her daughter.

My 9 year-old son on the other hand (British passport) was permitted to travel unaccompanied, which he subsequently did.

You live and learn.

Terpe
15th February 2011, 21:20
So Graham, do you have any information from your contacts that might help shed some light on what additional documentation/evidence may help smooth the way for genuine travellers??

ampy
15th February 2011, 21:48
Show Money,,,,,they used to ask show money for tourist visa or first timer ,,,but i thought they have stopped it many years ago,
That is what i dont want about philippine immigration officers they sometimes go over the top and play God if they can get away with it.,,I was stopped one time and because my visit visa was not the original copy,it was supposed to be collected in Dubai airport ,everybody do the same they just wanted to pick on someone every now and then,,,i told myself,,what if i can talk my way out of it,i have to show money that i can pay for myself,pictures of my husband and some of important papers that i am not going to work abroad that i know what i am going to do,a bit of humor here and there,,,i think i made them laugh so much or they just had enough of me,,i got lucky !!!!they let me in,that was 1995

Scottie1875
15th February 2011, 21:54
My sister-in-law's boyfriend has phoned to find out why she was refused and they said she didn't have enough money for her 3 month stay. He asked how much would she need to have and they said 'enough' When he pressed them on how much 'enough' was they hung up on him.

It turns out she was also told at the airport that she was undergraduated. Sounds like they are making rules up as they go along.

I feel very sad for them both.. Hopefully they can sort it out.

grahamw48
15th February 2011, 22:10
So Graham, do you have any information from your contacts that might help shed some light on what additional documentation/evidence may help smooth the way for genuine travellers??

That would be too easy wouldn't it.;)

We're talking about the Philippines here.

'Normal' travel documentation is required pertaining to the type of journey, but final permission to travel is at the discretion of the immigration officer on duty at the airport.

That's where the lottery starts, it seems. :rolleyes:

ampy
15th February 2011, 22:16
:NoNo:,hmmm, sound liked it yeah !!! tell her to ask for the supervisor,she can complain there,ask even a porter to take her to talk to whoever is in-charge there,,,she s got all the complete documents with her,,they dont have any reason to stop her,graduated or not,they can explain to her what she will have to do.
i have complained there before and the sales lady help me out,she called the personnel for me to complain about one immigration officers,first time i saw them so low and didnt even try to reason out,,
i really feel sad for her,i hate to be in that situation!

Magnus
15th February 2011, 23:30
Its my gf who was stopped at the airport.
She is 27 years old
She was so surpriced by beeing stopped from traveling that she left imigration before she call me and told me what hapend. I asked her to go back and hand over the phone to someone at imigration, but they all redused to pick the phone.

She tell me they say money not enough, and that she is undergraduated.

To be able to get her visa i have written an invitation letter where i take full responsibillity for her while she is here.

Nowhere i can find that the imigration need an invitation letter.

Looking their site you need: passport, ticket (return ticket) and visa if required. My girlfriend was carrying all this.

I call the embassy in Stockholm, and they sounds as surpriced as me, but then tell me to arrange an affidavit. I have never heard of that before. This document should be stamped by the notarius publicus, the department of forign affairs and the Phil embassy in Stockholm.
Then should the original be sent to my girlfriend. Then they said that she should visit any imigration office and show the document, to see if they considder it valid. I asked if any other requirements to be fullfilled, they did not know.

After this i call imigration in Manila, trying to find out, how much money they considder girlfriend should have, and if any other documents needed, not to be stopped again.
Enough, was the answere i got. i ask again: There should be a guideline, again reply is enough, when asking the third time they simply slammed the phone in my ear.
Girlfriend also called the imigration, and got same reply.

Money for the ticket most likely gone so when the AFFIDAVIT passed with all stamps, we have to buy new ticket, and just hope for the best

This is learning the hard way.

johncar54
16th February 2011, 11:26
It is such a pity that here we are in 2011, with most of the world considering that RP is a modern, civilised country yet they continue to treat their citizens with so little respect.

If many of us wanted to leave UK (and there was no court order preventing us) we would raise hell if we were stopped. RP seem to lie back and accepted being f........

Come on Filipinos start demanding to treated as free people who are grown ups

KeithD
16th February 2011, 15:10
Actually, it's about time all airports/countries started checking passengers before they board when they are on student, visit, etc visa's due to the massive immigration of illegals we have in the world today. The Philippines is not the only country to do this.

However, if you have all supporting documents with you, and you should do as you have a chance immigration at the other end can pull you up and refuse you entry, then their shouldn't be a problem.

bruneicop
16th February 2011, 15:17
truelly shocking.
we had a friend of ours join us in Brunei last year for a vacation, and they gave her grief when trying to leave, (I had passed her a letter saying i would cover all costs etc) but they told her it should have had the red stamp from the philippine embassy in Brunei, CRAZY.

even more so in your situation where you have been through all the grief to get the Shengzen Visa.

Call the airline and let them know what happened, they might be sympathetic and get you on another flight.

Good luck dude, hope it all works out.

johncar54
16th February 2011, 16:18
I accept that the airlines always try hard to ensure that a traveller who will not be allowed entry at the destination, does not fly, as they have an obligation to return people not allowed entry, by the NEXT FLIGHT, even if that means bumping another passenger.

So the airlines are very careful, but if one has a valid ticket and if necessary an entry visa, then they (the airlines) are not interested who will pay for the holiday expenses whilst the person is in that country.

But in the case I spoke off, and I believe the subject of this post, it was the RP Immigration service who stopped the passenger flying. And that is whole different ball game.

If they are going to stop people then they should publish the exact conditions which are required for a passenger to be permitted to embark. Making it up as they go along ain't nearly good enough !

KeithD
16th February 2011, 16:34
But they are not making it up, they are using the same criteria the immigration use at the other end. If she'd pulled up when she landed they'd still ask her why she only had 300 and was staying so lomg, regardless of the fact she already had a visa. The airlines don't check this sort of thing, it's always the immigration officer. It does say at the airport that you have to satisfy immigration officials.

Quickest thing the guy at the other end can do is speak with the immigration at his local airport, prove who is is and state he'll be supporting her and get them to Fax the information. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

johncar54
16th February 2011, 16:45
But they are not making it up, they are using the same criteria the immigration use at the other end. If she'd pulled up when she landed they'd still ask her why she only had 300 and was staying so lomg, regardless of the fact she already had a visa. The airlines don't check this sort of thing, it's always the immigration officer. It does say at the airport that you have to satisfy immigration officials.

Quickest thing the guy at the other end can do is speak with the immigration at his local airport, prove who is is and state he'll be supporting her and get them to Fax the information. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

In the case I quoted that was not so.

As I showed above, prior to the flight day, I had an email from Immigration saying all that was needed was a valid ticket and passport.

I she was refused I spoke on the phone to the airline (who were happy to let her travel) and the immigration and it was then that they (Immigration) agreed that if I faxed (the letter shown above) then they would allow her to travel. They did the following day, but at considerable expense and inconvenience to both the passenger and her bf who had travelled to the airport in BKK to met her.

As for immigration at the other end. That country in this case here, had issued a visa so of course they were satisfied that she could enter. I don't know about others but I have never been asked if I had enough money for my holiday when I have arrived in any country. The bigger concern is usually that one is not importing MORE money than allowed!

KeithD
16th February 2011, 16:55
That's all you need to travel. However the immigration in every country has the right to decline your right to travel and that is the one of the purposes of the immigration at airports and always has been. If you watch the customs programs on TV, you'll see in most cases further proof is required to travel/get in although it's not stated on the ticket, but it is stated by the immigration website if your care to read it, and is part of the conditions of travelling abroad. It has nothing to do with the visa or airline.

johncar54
16th February 2011, 17:05
That's all you need to travel. However the immigration in every country has the right to decline your right to travel and that is the one of the purposes of the immigration at airports and always has been. If you watch the customs programs on TV, you'll see in most cases further proof is required to travel/get in although it's not stated on the ticket, but it is stated by the immigration website if your care to read it, and is part of the conditions of travelling abroad. It has nothing to do with the visa or airline.

Sorry but you off on a tangent.

In this case (as it was in the case where I was involved) the refusal to depart was nothing to do with the destination country, it was RP Immigration Service. The same service which had said ALL THEY NEEDED to allow departure was a valid ticket and passport.

PS NB The Emigration Service are the same as the RP Immigration Service. Can be misleading terminology.

Magnus
16th February 2011, 17:24
I got the message from my travel agency that the ticket is not refoundable due to lack of proper documentation from the passenger.
I was very upset when i heard this so i let the lady at the travel agency know.
I fully understand this is not the fault of the airline and they are not responible for what has hapend.
However, 2 hours later the travel agency lady call me again. She has been on hold for the two hours and talking to KLM to explain the situation.
KLM accepted to let my girlfriend change the date of departure against regular fee for changes.
I am very happy that the airline helped us.
Thanks a lot KLM

bruneicop
16th February 2011, 17:29
great news Magnus, one small hurdle down.

Hears to good news soon on her departure

Scottie1875
16th February 2011, 18:12
I got the message from my travel agency that the ticket is not refoundable due to lack of proper documentation from the passenger.
I was very upset when i heard this so i let the lady at the travel agency know.
I fully understand this is not the fault of the airline and they are not responible for what has hapend.
However, 2 hours later the travel agency lady call me again. She has been on hold for the two hours and talking to KLM to explain the situation.
KLM accepted to let my girlfriend change the date of departure against regular fee for changes.
I am very happy that the airline helped us.
Thanks a lot KLM

Great news Magnus, hope she can fly again very soon.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
16th February 2011, 19:29
That is fantastic news Magnus. Well done to you.

And well done bruneicop for the original suggestion :xxgrinning--00xx3:

What a forum.:Jump:

KeithD
16th February 2011, 21:11
Sorry but you off on a tangent.

In this case (as it was in the case where I was involved) the refusal to depart was nothing to do with the destination country, it was RP Immigration Service. The same service which had said ALL THEY NEEDED to allow departure was a valid ticket and passport.

PS NB The Emigration Service are the same as the RP Immigration Service. Can be misleading terminology.

:doh ... and the RP immigration Service do it on behalf of the destination country :Erm: .... and many other countries do and have for a long time. And you do only need a ticket and passport, are you not reading anything I write?? :NoNo: ..... except you'll find immigration sites also go into detail about why you may be refused to leave, and what additional documents may be worth carrying.

When I print my air ticket it doesn't say I can't take petrol, drugs, etc, but it does on the website if you read it. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

johncar54
16th February 2011, 21:38
:doh ... and the RP immigration Service do it on behalf of the destination country :Erm: .... and many other countries do and have for a long time. And you do only need a ticket and passport, are you not reading anything I write?? :NoNo: ..... except you'll find immigration sites also go into detail about why you may be refused to leave, and what additional documents may be worth carrying.

When I print my air ticket it doesn't say I can't take petrol, drugs, etc, but it does on the website if you read it. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I don't want to go off into the realms of mights be and maybes, I was trying to help Scottie with the original problem. The same problem which I successfully negotiated for my friend's gf a couple of years ago, by faxing a letter (copied at post No.6) that I would be responsible for all expenses.

Englishman2010
16th February 2011, 22:20
Great news Magnus, I hope your girlfriend has no more trouble with immigration and is with you soon

madmitch537
1st May 2011, 17:08
i would suggest that a sufficient of money is available in the girls account prior to departure it can remove doubt of the girls intention to not seek work or other things
good luck mark

scott&ligaya
1st May 2011, 17:28
hmmmmmm got me thinking, my wife and babies are coming home after nearly a year away in the Phils, I wonder if a her travelling on her own with two small mix children will prompt any questions. I hope not. the little ones have both Phil and UK passports and have my surname, my wife still has her Phil passport in her family name... seems like an opportunity just for some grief...:yikes::yikes:

grahamw48
1st May 2011, 17:38
My ex travelled out with the kids like that several times, both to Hong Kong and UK (she and the 2 stepchildren still on Filipino passports...but with appropriate visas of course).

She should be fine.

They can't really stop kids with UK passports travelling out anyway.

My boy travelled Phils to UK 'alone' when he was 9 years old, on UK passport.

The others had to travel with their mother though....people trafficking laws. :)

scott&ligaya
1st May 2011, 17:53
Well I guess ligaya should be okay she has several proprely observed visas , her spouse visa and her ILR all in there so i hope no grief is possible. I will make sure she has full load on her phone and that I am availabe when she is close to check in time

grahamw48
1st May 2011, 19:33
It's always a worry though. I understand that.

Always nice to get them safely back to blighty. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
2nd May 2011, 11:47
This type of treatment by R.P immigration officials is all about Filipino jealousy and crab mentality ..
The have nots are 3rd class citizens and can be controlled and manipulated at will.
That`s all there is to it IMO.

gerrychina
5th June 2011, 10:58
Hi everybody,my girlfriend,who lives on the Philippines,was also refused at Manila Airport by Immigration,for the same stupid reason,not enough money on her,she showed the letter of guarantee,official invitation,health/liabilityinsurance policy etc.But because it was written in Dutch she was send away.Immigration has nothing to do with these papers!They are meant for Dutch Customs,they want to know if she has a sponsor who pay all her costs.Now i wonder if she can use the same ticket after i sent her an English translation of these papers,otherwise i'll lose over 1000 Euro,its really a banana republic!

tboy555
6th June 2011, 19:55
you have my sympathies. It would be nice if the Immigration dept could categorically say what is required for exit. I had similar problem when I tried to fly my girlfriend to meet me in Thailand. All websites say no visa needed. She was stopped at the airport saying I needed to send her a certified letter of support. I was furious. I then wasted a day in the filipino embassy in Bangkok where the nice guy did me a favour giving me the documentation same day (and rinsed me a bit in the process). She had to rebook the following day, stay with her aunt overnight and pay $100 for the privelege. It's a pathetic system. Just hope with her visa/cfo sticker etc she can board the flight to UK in a few weeks.

gerrychina
11th June 2011, 11:29
Hi everyone,it seems that my girlfriend is going to fly afterall,the Letter of Guarantee has to be legalized by the Ph.Embassy,why?I don't know,its legal piracy.I went to the Embassy and kindly persuaded one of the employees to fix it right away because i was very pissed!!Well,it costed me some money,but you get something!Wow,a declaration of an employee,very official,with a red ribbon and a gold self-adhesive seal.And then send by Fedex to the Philippines.
Another 100 Euro gone,but she's got the document and if all goes well she'll fly to Holland coming Tuesday,if not,well,better not say what i'll do,hehe.If she fly's,i considder myself an expert now on inviting someone from the Philippines.Btw,Dutch Embassy does nothing!Just enjoying the weather over there and wait for their retirement.

grahamw48
11th June 2011, 11:46
Because the Phils govt and a lot of their employees are a bunch of crooks, they assume everyone else is the same. :rolleyes:

Then add into the mix the opportunity to fleece you for cash at every turn.

Well, you can afford to leave the country, so you may as well PAY into the coffers.

johncar54
11th June 2011, 12:35
Well, you can afford to leave the country, so you may as well PAY into the coffers.

My father in law was in a private hosp last week. We had a problem transferring money to pay the bill, They would not let him leave until he paid. By the time we had the transfer fixed up he had stayed passed a certain time which meant he was charged for another 24 hours. I wonder what would have happened if we not sent any money, maybe he could spend the rest of his live there, 'detained until he paid .!!! '

Back on the thread.

I did say above that when I sent a letter of guarantee that I would pay all expenses for my friend's fiancee when she was meeting up with her fiancee in Thailand for a 14 day holiday, they let her travel. I did not get it countersigned etc by anyone, it was just an email or a fax letter.

grahamw48
11th June 2011, 13:09
Well, you know how it is over there.

Rules are open to interpretation, dependant on one's perceived ability to pay.

When I got married at Pasay City Hall the 'official' marriage ceremony fee was about 200 pesos.

The Judge asked me for 2,500. :NoNo:

All I can say is that the note he was handed by my best man, he would have been unable to spend, and my hand remained in my pocket. :D

tone
18th June 2011, 23:38
Hi Guys
Ive read this thread just now and have to offer my sympathies to those concerned. For me its not the costs but the heartache and pure messing around to achieve a simple emotional need...

Me and Rina have been through some of these issues too.
I think the main point here is "Visitor Visa" so this issue should not arise for Settlement migrants should it?

The first time I asked Rina to come to Kuala Lumpur to stay with me I had no idea what was needed! I booked her a single flight over to KL at immigration they declined to let her out because she didnt have a return ticket. They then said a letter of invitation, a copy of my passport, copy statement showing I had the means to support her and then pay the Malasian Airlines fees to allow her to travel the next day. She was told to cough up or not fly - she didnt fly.
The next day she was allowed to travel but immigration didnt ask for any of the documents I had faxed the day before. All very stressful.
Thereafter Rina flew out one more time alone - and was given hassle so I used to fly from KL or Singapore (dependant on meetings) out to Manila and bring her back to KL with me.
On one occassion we finally got to the Immigration counter and the woman asked why she didnt work! She said isnt your boyfriend a bit old for you - she happily said sorry he is fiance and flashed a carat at the B***h and said he doesnt need me to work in Tagalog - she was very peed off but there wasnt much she could do as I was with her.

Rina always asks me will there be problems for her leaving - and I have maintained after getting the visa (which isnt exactly easy) she should be able to travel - this whole thread has made me think not - but on a settlement visa (Fiancee) surely she would be ok?

I was going to fly to Manila spend a few days with her family and bring her back with me - decided with costs of wedding/new house/car and all the furniture and other things I have had to buy oin my return to the UK from KL I needed to save a bit of money!
But now I wonder! - Any advice on that bit chaps??

Cheers
Tone

grahamw48
19th June 2011, 00:42
My ex had no problem flying out of Manila with me, once we were wed and she had the spouse visa in her passport.

Lots of subsequent trips, both with me and on her own, and never any hassle inbound or out.

pumpkinbee
10th August 2011, 19:27
Hi Guys
Ive read this thread just now and have to offer my sympathies to those concerned. For me its not the costs but the heartache and pure messing around to achieve a simple emotional need...

Me and Rina have been through some of these issues too.
I think the main point here is "Visitor Visa" so this issue should not arise for Settlement migrants should it?

The first time I asked Rina to come to Kuala Lumpur to stay with me I had no idea what was needed! I booked her a single flight over to KL at immigration they declined to let her out because she didnt have a return ticket. They then said a letter of invitation, a copy of my passport, copy statement showing I had the means to support her and then pay the Malasian Airlines fees to allow her to travel the next day. She was told to cough up or not fly - she didnt fly.
The next day she was allowed to travel but immigration didnt ask for any of the documents I had faxed the day before. All very stressful.
Thereafter Rina flew out one more time alone - and was given hassle so I used to fly from KL or Singapore (dependant on meetings) out to Manila and bring her back to KL with me.
On one occassion we finally got to the Immigration counter and the woman asked why she didnt work! She said isnt your boyfriend a bit old for you - she happily said sorry he is fiance and flashed a carat at the B***h and said he doesnt need me to work in Tagalog - she was very peed off but there wasnt much she could do as I was with her.

Rina always asks me will there be problems for her leaving - and I have maintained after getting the visa (which isnt exactly easy) she should be able to travel - this whole thread has made me think not - but on a settlement visa (Fiancee) surely she would be ok?

I was going to fly to Manila spend a few days with her family and bring her back with me - decided with costs of wedding/new house/car and all the furniture and other things I have had to buy oin my return to the UK from KL I needed to save a bit of money!
But now I wonder! - Any advice on that bit chaps??

Cheers
Tone

Hi Tone, I read through the thread and this one actually has nothing to do with it so excuse me :icon_lol:
I want to ask since you mentioned that Rina will be traveling under fiance visa...I supposed the visa has already granted, am I correct? Was she required to submit a certificate of no marriage? And how did the process go?
Thank you for your anticipated response :)

somebody
19th August 2011, 19:07
Hi Tone, I read through the thread and this one actually has nothing to do with it so excuse me :icon_lol:
I want to ask since you mentioned that Rina will be traveling under fiance visa...I supposed the visa has already granted, am I correct? Was she required to submit a certificate of no marriage? And how did the process go?
Thank you for your anticipated response :)

Best to search the forum for subject cenomar this should help you on this subject po:)

lastlid
20th August 2011, 22:17
Do these issues apply to those with spouse visas too? Are those leaving with a UK spouse visa in their passport going to be subjected to this kind of thing by Phils immigration?

Cheers.