PDA

View Full Version : Well done Parliament no Votes for Convicts

Dedworth
11th February 2011, 01:40
WELL DONE PARLIAMENT !

Day we stood up to Europe: In an unprecedented move, MPs reject European court's ruling that prisoners must get the vote

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1355640/Prisoners-vote-MPs-stand-UK-rights-overturn-EU-ruling.html#ixzz1DbdamQeV

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12409426

The criminal scum get it easy anyway what with free fags & drugs, playstations, Sky TV, early release etc . What we need is Prison to return to being a place that the Crims fear to go to, hard labour, subsistence diet, brutal regime - that's the only way to discourage re-offending

Farmerg
11th February 2011, 01:46
I'm glad the vote went the way it did but I think we need to find a way to stop the :censored: criminals been able to sue over this!

Arthur Little
11th February 2011, 01:53
WELL DONE PARLIAMENT !

Day we stood up to Europe: In an unprecedented move, MPs reject European court's ruling that prisoners must get the vote

:) I thought you'd be pleased about that ... so, too, am I ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
11th February 2011, 01:55
I'm glad the vote went the way it did but I think we need to find a way to stop the :censored: criminals been able to sue over this!

Serious review of legal aid and no win no fee 'uman rites Cherie Blair style "lawyers"

Dedworth
11th February 2011, 01:57
:) I thought you'd be pleased about that ... so, too, am I ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

far too early to say that the worm has turned but an encouraging step in the right direction

Arthur Little
11th February 2011, 02:05
MPs have overwhelmingly voted to keep the ban on prisoners voting, in defiance of a ruling by the European Court of Human Rights.

The House of Commons' decision is not binding, but could put pressure on ministers to go against the Strasbourg court's decision.

MPs backed a motion opposing the move by a 234 to 22 - a majority of 212.

It's a start ... high time our elected officials challenged those :censored: Eurocratic jelly-bellies!!

Farmerg
11th February 2011, 02:06
Maybe if law was created that any compensation paid to a criminal by the state would be held for a period while a panel of judges decided how much of this money would be paid to the victim/s & how much would be have to be repaid to the state for the cost of the police investigation & prosecution.
I am guessing but I would think that the :censored: criminals would end up with pennies.

KeithD
11th February 2011, 10:25
I wouldn't have anything against people in Open prisons voting, they are basically on their way back into society anyway, and maybe that's a way to agree the law between the UK and the EU. The EU just says prisoners should be given the right to vote, it doesn't state it has to be all of them.

grahamw48
11th February 2011, 11:17
Thank goodness some common sense is beginning to creep back into OUR country.

Next step...kick the human rights treaty into touch, along with the compensation nonsense.

What started out as a trading club (common market) has, as many of us suspected would happen, developed into a monster as bad for the 'real' British as if the 3rd Reich itself had successfully invaded. :cwm23:

Arthur Little
11th February 2011, 11:40
it doesn't state it has to be all of them.

:rolleyes: ... presumably, though, it debars - for the time being at least - those errant MPs convicted of fiddling their expenses.

grahamw48
11th February 2011, 12:26
Well, as I heard someone (MP) say yesterday.
How can you allow law-breakers to make laws ? :NoNo:

Dedworth
11th February 2011, 12:31
Thank goodness some common sense is beginning to creep back into OUR country.

Next step...kick the human rights treaty into touch, along with the compensation nonsense.

What started out as a trading club (common market) has, as many of us suspected would happen, developed into a monster as bad for the 'real' British as if the 3rd Reich itself had successfully invaded. :cwm23:

This is what I'd like to see sorted out first

Just one in five immigration offenders kicked out of UK

Thousands of immigration offenders are being allowed to escape deportation every year, Government figures reveal.

The asylum system is supposed to take a strict stance against those who are caught living in the UK illegally.

But fewer than one in five of those who claimed asylum only after they were caught living here without permission have been kicked out.
Incredibly, more are being given permission to stay than are being removed.

Critics said the figures showed how the previous Labour government had turned Britain into a ‘soft touch’ for illegal immigrants.

In the past three years alone, only 7,294 of the 40,000 who claimed asylum after being caught breaking immigration rules were kicked out.

This compared with 9,869 - one in four - who were told they could stay. The remainder have either yet to have their cases decided or have dropped out of the system.

Sir Andrew Green, chairman of MigrationWatch, said: ‘These are astonishing figures.
‘These people entered illegally in the first place without bothering to claim asylum, so they can hardly be prime candidates.

‘Despite that, a quarter of them were granted some sort of protection.

‘Worse still, of all those detected, less than one in five have actually been removed. No wonder Britain is considered a soft touch and people are queuing in Calais to get here.’

The Home Office figures, obtained by Tory MP Priti Patel, detail what happens to people who are caught living in Britain illegally.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1355822/Just-immigration-offenders-kicked-UK.html#ixzz1DeIIAm2o

I can feel that another eMail to Theresa May is needed - if anyone else feels the same her address is

mayt@parliament.uk

Englishman2010
11th February 2011, 12:35
Surely if you commit an offence that is punishable by a prison sentence, you should give up your rights to things a free person would expect:Erm:
Prisons should practice some basic human rights regarding sanitation, hygiene and sufficient food, but EU laws have gone too far and helped to create prisons which are more like holiday camps.

When I was in Palawan a few weeks ago, we went on a city tour which included a van trip around a Farm Prison just outside Puerto Princesa. The inmates all had to work 6 days a week in the rice fields inorder to repay their debt to society:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dr Graham
11th February 2011, 12:45
I think the whole thing is a Trick !
Most of the MP's and EX-MP's who are already IN Prison, or ON THEIR WAY THERE, are Labour Supporters, so I suspect that this is no more than a devious Tory Plot to reduce the number of potential Labour Voters.

Arthur Little
11th February 2011, 13:05
Surely if you commit an offence that is punishable by a prison sentence, you should give up your rights to things a free person would expect:Erm:

As David Davis said in the Commons: "Those who break the law, should NOT be allowed to make the law" ... and :iagree:!

Dr Graham
11th February 2011, 13:17
What I would MUCH RATHER SEE, is TITLED People who Committ Crimes being Stripped of their Titles !

I think anyone with a Title, regardless of whether it is one they have Inherited or have been Awarded, has an OBLIGATION to UPHOLD CERTAIN STANDARDS.
If they FAIL to do this, and Especially if they Break Laws (except maybe, where they may have to as part of a Legitimate Protest they may be supporting) they should no longer benefit from the Privileges that come with a Title.

Dr Graham
11th February 2011, 13:21
As David Davis said in the Commons: "Those who break the law, should NOT be allowed to make the law" ... and :iagree:!

Ah ! But what about all the famous people from History, who managed to introduce Legal Reforms and made our Justice System BETTER ...... but had to BREAK the CURRENT LAWS in order to achieve their objectives ???

Arthur Little
11th February 2011, 14:13
Prisons should practice some *basic human rights regarding sanitation, hygiene and sufficient food, but EU laws have gone too far and helped to create prisons which are more like holiday camps.

Yes ... *fair do's ... and one such measure has been to abandon the primitive, filthy and degrading practice of "slopping out" :action-smiley-081: ... thankfully!

But - at the other extreme - none of us wants to see prisons become too "Butlinised" ... to the extent where they're viewed as being easy-option sanctuaries for society's misfits ... looking forward to receiving "home comforts" and the prospect of being provided with 3 [free to them] square meals a day! :thumbsdown:

joebloggs
11th February 2011, 14:30
this was mentioned on question time last night :angry:

now what is the court of human rights going to do ? send the baliffs around :rolleyes:

cameron should tell them where to stick thier ruling :action-smiley-081:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1355403/Prisoners-vote-EU-human-rights-court-mockery-UK-justice.html :laugher::doh:cwm23:

Arthur Little
11th February 2011, 14:37
When I was in Palawan a few weeks ago, we went on a city tour which included a van trip around a Farm Prison just outside Puerto Princesa. The inmates all had to work 6 days a week in the rice fields inorder to repay their debt to society:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Good :idea:! Hard graft (within reason) never killed anyone ... and here in the UK ... prison inmates could be put to work shovelling snow off our pavements ... to help prevent an :olddude: like me coming a cropper. :icon_lol:

grahamw48
11th February 2011, 14:48
HAS our Justice system been improved though ?

I think that is open to debate - certainly on the punishment side of things.

As far as the 'famous' people go, I don't think the 99% of prisoners affected by this....mainly drug pushers, violent bullies or tea leaves are likely to become folk heroes any time soon. :rolleyes:

Arthur Little
11th February 2011, 15:03
Ah ! But what about all the famous people from History, who managed to introduce Legal Reforms and made our Justice System BETTER ...... but had to BREAK the CURRENT LAWS in order to achieve their objectives ???

You've a point there ... and this is precisely what the vast majority of Cameron's government - along with parliamentary colleagues from all parties - are aiming to do here and now ... challenge crass European directives in order to make :Britain: a better - and safer - country for its ordinary, law abiding citizens. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Farmerg
11th February 2011, 15:39
I believe that France & Germany altered there constitution so that the could not be forced to pay EU fines unlike the UK. As an example to this, after the EU commission lifted to ban on exporting British beef to other European countries France refused to comply with this but despite the Commission taking legal action though the European courts it could not enforce the rulings or fines on France because of the French constitution that allows France to ignore these rulings & fines if the French government believe that it is not in Frances best interest. I think its about time to change are laws to reflect the French & Germans or that all countries that wish to be in the EU must comply with EU rulings & pay any fines. Imagine if some people had the legal right to ignore a courts sentence for serious crimes & yet others could not, how can this be concived as fair?

grahamw48
11th February 2011, 18:20
Only Britain believes in 'fair play'.

That's why we're the laughing stock of Europe. :rolleyes:

Manila_Paul
22nd February 2011, 06:47
Agree with Peter Hitchens in the Mail last week: http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2011/02/daves-stage-rage-and-why-he-needs-this-court-of-human-wrongs.html

Apart from anything else, the ‘Supreme Court’ (which is actually nothing of the sort) is right about this. English law, stretching back to Magna Carta, believes in limited punishment of bad deeds, not the lifetime totalitarian supervision of criminals. As it is, we get no punishment and a lot of bureaucracy and useless ‘supervision’.