PDA

View Full Version : Owning a Property { HELP NEEDED PLEASE!}

Jimbojac
5th February 2011, 10:17
If any members here can help it would be greatly appreciated!:)

I was thinking of buying a modest 3-4 bedroom house and small parcel of land in Northern Mindanao. The title would have to be in my GF's name.

Questions:

1... Is there any truth that i can "lease it" from her to get over any legal ownership from me being a foreigner? I have heard you can draw up a 50 year lease at a ridiculously low rental rate just to keep it " legal."

2... What is the normal deposit required in % terms?

3... How easy is itfor me to open a bank account there where monthly standing orders/ mortgage re-payments can be drawn from?

Thanks folks for any advice, very welcome!:Wave:

Ako Si Jamie
5th February 2011, 10:50
Don't mean to sound negative but I heard of someone who did something similar and his Filipina partner kicked him out the house after 3 months and he lost everything.

grahamw48
5th February 2011, 10:56
I wouldn't do it. :NoNo:

I USED to 'own' property in the Phils.

My ex does now...plus the 16 hectares of rice land she inherited.

It's your life and your money though.

fred
5th February 2011, 11:21
As you seem to know..You cant own property in the R.P.. You can lease land for 25 years renewable for another 25 BUT NOT FROM YOUR MRS!!!! There are anti sham laws here designed to protect the constitution that says Foreigners cant buy land!!!
Lease from others but not your wife..Should be fine.
Ive got some for lease!! Interested?:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Jimbojac
5th February 2011, 12:00
As you seem to know..You cant own property in the R.P.. You can lease land for 25 years renewable for another 25 BUT NOT FROM YOUR MRS!!!! There are anti sham laws here designed to protect the constitution that says Foreigners cant buy land!!!
Lease from others but not your wife..Should be fine.
Ive got some for lease!! Interested?:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Cheers Fred,
Thanks for the advice, there are only 2 places that i would consider at the moment Mate and they are Dipolog { where her family is } and a tiny town called Lanuza in the NE of Midanao where being an addicted surfer of some 32 years is an absolute paradise for me and my Jersey Surfie Mates.:xxgrinning--00xx3:
If there is a chance that you have land anywhere near then sure........:)
Have a great week-end! :Hellooo:

Jimbojac
5th February 2011, 12:06
Don't mean to sound negative but I heard of someone who did something similar and his Filipina partner kicked him out the house after 3 months and he lost everything.
Us Jersey boys are tight as crabs a*ses and having an accountant as a brother increases the paranoia!!:omg:
Its just a thought, its so cheap down there and i had half a homestay 2 bedroom upstairs and new build for basically a £5 fiver a day, renting, aircon and all bills paid in Mindanao which was brilliant but been thinking long term for a while now. There is no hurry and weighing up all options...
Thanks.

Jimbojac
5th February 2011, 12:08
I wouldn't do it. :NoNo:

I USED to 'own' property in the Phils.

My ex does now...plus the 16 hectares of rice land she inherited.

It's your life and your money though.
Hmmmm think i will keep it simple for now and just rent.
Thanks.

Rosie1958
5th February 2011, 12:48
Hmmmm think i will keep it simple for now and just rent.
Thanks.

A very wise decision! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
5th February 2011, 13:26
hi fred where is this land and can i build on it too

Terpe
5th February 2011, 18:42
Well Jimbojac, it seems I'm already a little late to add my comments.
Never mind, I'll go ahead anyway even if it's all been said before.

I think from the responses already made you could begin to think it may not be a good idea.
But....I always try to be positive.
We should not live in fear to grasp someting because what we are doing might not work or might not be risk free. We should at the very least get as much advice as possible before abandoning our ideas.
So I would say make a project, do your own full research to your own full satisfaction.

But as a guide to my thinking:-

I have a number of properties in Philippines. Hopefully, what I have learnt in the last 15 years
might help others.
All my properties are a gift to my wife.

Do you trust your G/F ?? (you don't need to answer that on a public forum by the way)

If yes then make such purchases a gift. If no then don't do it.
Anything else is just delusional. In my personal opinion.
Having any interest or control over the property would be giving you a right that you can never have.
When you get down to it, we foreigners don't have any rights to property whatsoever.
That is the way the government demands it, and they been sure to passed a lot (I really mean a lot) of
laws to achieve it.

You may hear or learn of many clever and innovative ways to get around the law. Forget it.

The problem is that most foreigners believe things will be quick and easy and with legal papers/contracts with weasel words that make things under their control and risk free, regardless of what/who they are dealing with.

In the Philippinnes beware.
Learn, then kick back and roll with the punches is all I can say.

Questions:

1... Is there any truth that i can "lease it" from her to get over any legal ownership from me being a foreigner?
I have heard you can draw up a 50 year lease at a ridiculously low rental rate just to keep it " legal."

As you already know foreigners may own buildings, houses or strucures legally in the Phils but a foreigner cannot
either own the land or control the land on which it is built.

It is legally allowed for you to lease:-

The following is from Presidential Decree 471.

Section 1. The maximum period allowable for the duration of leases of private lands to aliens or alien-owned corporations,
associations, or entities not qualified to acquire private lands in the Philippines shall be twenty-five years,
renewable for another period of twenty-five years upon mutual agreement of both lessor and lessee.

But don't believe that this would 'get over any legal ownership' ... it wouldn't. You own nothing.
If ever you would be legally contested you would lose.

Deposit for what? Purchasing? Leasing? Depends on the contract between buyer and seller.

3... How easy is itfor me to open a bank account there where monthly standing orders/ mortgage re-payments can be drawn from?

The banks in Phils are a strange lot. Many regulations. Branches often seem to operate differently.
The best way, in my opinion, is to have someone (known to the bank) introduce you to the manager and see how it goes from there.
The manager is the only one to see. Nobody else has the authority and will only follow their check list and say no.
But why have a bank account?
Mortgages/Housing loans in Phils are very expensive, if you can find one. They are not generally spread over a long term like UK
You'd be better off, I think, making a loan in UK and using that money to fund property purchasing in Phils.

Maybe fred can give better info

Just my opinion Jimbojac, no offence meant by my 'direct' approach.

BTW, if you will go ahead, post again and I'll try to help with how to actually purchase a Clean Title. No simple matter. :D

ampy
5th February 2011, 20:52
hi there, all i can say is ,if you trust your gf ,go ahead,if not yet ,well just rent for a while ,plus a property specially in mindanao will not cost you an arm and a leg,My hubby bought property in the philippines,after almost a year of us being together,,,,he said he dont care if we will leave together a month,3 -5 yrs ,,all he cares is he was happy and enjoying his life with me,,,by the way he passed away 4 yrs ago after 15 years of being together,he died happy and left me all properties in the philippines and in th ek.
Btw i tried to sell one of our house,his name was on it so i needed to show them the proof of his death,sealed and original copy from the uk,
If we all worried about things that might happened how can we be happy,just be careful and dont put all your aces down till you are 100% sure of her. enjoy,, life is full of surprises !

Jimbojac
5th February 2011, 21:43
Thanks Terpe, and really a BIG THANKS ok because that was a long posting and i appreciated your time and effort!!
As many on here will attest myself included the Philippines has got under our skin, with every trip it feels more like a home and i am at the stage where i even want to learn tagalog { i hate learning any language btw!}:Rasp:
I've got 5 trips under my belt now in the last 18 months and planning to head back for a quick stint in April.
My GF is a hunnie and she certainly ticks the boxes, i was a real player in my youth and i feel that it certainly doesn't get better than this and i feel blessed to have met such an honest and sweet warm girl and cannot imagine now being apart from her too long. Her family are lovely too and are very welcoming.
Mindanao is very cheap compared to other places i have visited and most of the people are very warm, her hometown of Dipolog is relatively safe with a fair few ex-pats around mainly made up of Yanks but a fair few Brits...... a nice blend of rural Philippines with enough " Westernisation" to balance things out.
I have checked out a number of rentals and believe me there are some nice modern and clean 2 bedroom appartments starting at 5000 a month, i got offered a beautiful 5 bedroom " new build" detached house in a gated community for 12,000 a month which was really nice but we simply would not use half the space.
All advice given here is greatly appreciated and even with my appetite for all things Filipino i am gonna sit back and wait for a while. My accountant Brother is gonna come and stay for a while after a Surfing stint in Indonesia and i will see what he thinks and says too, he is a rich bu*ger and if he is getting excited i will keep you folks posted!
{ If we buy a gold-mine will let ya know too!!:Jump:} Haha!!
Enjoy the rest of your week-end!

Jimbojac
5th February 2011, 22:10
hi there, all i can say is ,if you trust your gf ,go ahead,if not yet ,well just rent for a while ,plus a property specially in mindanao will not cost you an arm and a leg,My hubby bought property in the philippines,after almost a year of us being together,,,,he said he dont care if we will leave together a month,3 -5 yrs ,,all he cares is he was happy and enjoying his life with me,,,by the way he passed away 4 yrs ago after 15 years of being together,he died happy and left me all properties in the philippines and in th ek.
Btw i tried to sell one of our house,his name was on it so i needed to show them the proof of his death,sealed and original copy from the uk,
If we all worried about things that might happened how can we be happy,just be careful and dont put all your aces down till you are 100% sure of her. enjoy,, life is full of surprises !
Firstly Ampy i am sorry about your husband passing away and as you yourself quoted it was nice that he died a happy Man.
You deserve to be left some of his assets just as i would want my loved ones to be catered for in the event of me passing.
For many years i was a car salesman:yikes: and believe me that is not a well liked profession { i actually left it after becoming sick of all the lying and back stabbing that seems to be expected from the bosses } What it did teach me was to really doubt and trust peoples motives and we even had courses in body language! So.......after all that i know how to spot lies and deception in others very quickly and believe me i am very careful but i DO TRY not to judge also. Sadly the scams and corruption are indeed an integral part of life to some in the Phils purely because they are desparate simply to feed and cater to their families, a situation that is overlooked here in the very affluent West.
You know this Ampy but the huge majority of Filipinos are warm lovely people that keep me and many others coming back time and time again. I LOVE THE PLACE!:)

Steve.r
5th February 2011, 22:13
I think you have had some great advice Jim, and from guys who have been there and done that. I have a property with my asawa also. For me it is a matter of trust between the two of us. My asawa already has a nice house with a big lot. Our new house lies on a smaller lot, but in a nicer area next to our farm. Making this committment for me was of course a leap of faith, but if you are looking to change your life (like me) then you make your choice. Being able to go to the Philippines and go 'home' is a great feeling.
I guess what I am trying to say, is do not look at this as an investment opportunity, do it and go there because you love being with your mahal and living in a different culture to ours, I think that way you will become far richer.

Steve

Jimbojac
5th February 2011, 22:29
I think you have had some great advice Jim, and from guys who have been there and done that. I have a property with my asawa also. For me it is a matter of trust between the two of us. My asawa already has a nice house with a big lot. Our new house lies on a smaller lot, but in a nicer area next to our farm. Making this committment for me was of course a leap of faith, but if you are looking to change your life (like me) then you make your choice. Being able to go to the Philippines and go 'home' is a great feeling.
I guess what I am trying to say, is do not look at this as an investment opportunity, do it and go there because you love being with your mahal and living in a different culture to ours, I think that way you will become far richer.

Steve
Cheers Steve and by the way i have seen you have contributed a lot of good postings here, nice one!
Hmmmmm the way i have written was almost a bit tongue in cheek as i don't wanna give out the impression that it was really for investment purposes. My GF's family do not have very much and it was more for her and them and a place where i can maybe rest my head for a while. I am really into my surfing still and travel a lot all over with her staying at various places along the Filipino coastline.:)
Just a few weeks ago i put down a deposit and months rental for a basic property in Dipolog which has greatly improved their lifestyle, something which i was happy to do and at a very small price for many of us here in the UK. I have arranged a twice monthly amount to be paid onto a currency card that i gave her. { thats all the personal info i can give out for now. }
Its that age old question...........even with the very modest rental outlay i still feel it would be nice to own a place but ownership is i guess for me not that important just yet but i feel in months and years to come it will be.
Have a good week-end.:Wave:

Steve.r
5th February 2011, 22:47
Thanks Jim. :)

fred
6th February 2011, 09:02
hi fred where is this land and can i build on it too Its on Panglao island Steve,, Its very rural and quiet and not for everyone... We've applied for title and once we get that I am thinking of subdividing into smaller and more affordable lots and perhaps leasing them to foreigners that want to live out in the sticks.. Like me! Oh..And we have Tarsiers!!
Its about 400 meters from the highway (cheaper land)
and a rough barangay road to get in but I will be developing all that myself in time..
Its the lease holders for 50 years. Of course you can build on it just as long as its purely residential...I dont particularly want to live next door to a piggery!!
Cheers,
Fred.

Jimbojac
7th February 2011, 15:26
Its on Panglao island Steve,, Its very rural and quiet and not for everyone... We've applied for title and once we get that I am thinking of subdividing into smaller and more affordable lots and perhaps leasing them to foreigners that want to live out in the sticks.. Like me! Oh..And we have Tarsiers!!
and a rough barangay road to get in but I will be developing all that myself in time..
Its the lease holders for 50 years. Of course you can build on it just as long as its purely residential...I dont particularly want to live next door to a piggery!!
Cheers,
Fred.
Now, if only there is some decent waves there..............:rolleyes:
Looks beautiful there Fred, i had never heard of the place, i looked it up on Wikipedia.
Are you often there as i need some paperwork etc sorted out in Cebu in a few months and may check it out and have a beer?:)

malditako
7th February 2011, 15:37
some subvision company offer sale ( house and lot) to their foreigner clients to their name but treated as investment...u may want to check that.

steve monty
7th February 2011, 22:54
I was looking at what was available to buy property wise in the Philippines after reading this thread. You can even buy your own Island!!! :omg: Or maybe for your wife or girlfriend!!:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.islandsproperties.com/properties/islands/bic-can-is-9700/index.htm

Farmerg
8th February 2011, 01:34
:Erm:I was wondering if I was to give a house in the Philippines [ Mindanao ] to my girlfriend & then we married and she relocated to the Uk, would there be a problem with her still owning the house?
I just exploring my future options & have no plans right now..... just in case she reads this :icon_lol:

grahamw48
8th February 2011, 01:48
No there wouldn't be a problem her owning it.:)

fred
8th February 2011, 02:12
some subvision company offer sale ( house and lot) to their foreigner clients to their name but treated as investment...u may want to check that.

Foreigners can only buy condos and certain town houses but the total development must have at least 60% Filipino equity.
Any other arrangement is a scam.

fred
8th February 2011, 02:23
Now, if only there is some decent waves there..............:rolleyes:
Looks beautiful there Fred, i had never heard of the place, i looked it up on Wikipedia.
Are you often there as i need some paperwork etc sorted out in Cebu in a few months and may check it out and have a beer?:)

Did you say beer?? :xxgrinning--00xx3:
No problem.. Let me know when you decide to pop over..

Where do you go surfing?? Not my game but spent time in Catanduanes in Bicol.. From memory there were guys surfing there..For some reason I remember someone mentioning Southern Samar too..

Jimbojac
8th February 2011, 18:54
Did you say beer?? :xxgrinning--00xx3:
No problem.. Let me know when you decide to pop over..

Where do you go surfing?? Not my game but spent time in Catanduanes in Bicol.. From memory there were guys surfing there..For some reason I remember someone mentioning Southern Samar too..
Philippines is one of the last great frontiers in terms of surf discovery..........
All surfers worth their salt { no pun intended:Rasp:} have heard of Majestics in Catanduanes that you mentioned and also the very famous Cloud 9 in Siaragao Island but there are quality spots all over. Surfers are incredibly protective about these places similar to fishermen and their favourite secret spots.
Southern Samar is superb, Calicoan Island in particular, i am loving the NE of Mindanao, a few known spots there but some great potential for exploration exists.
Beer for sure Mate and am supping one as i write this, Red Horse is the go for me in the Phils! Hope to catch up when i am back in approx 10-12 weeks in the Visayas.
Take care and hope all is well with you!:Wave:
Jimbo.

Jimbojac
8th February 2011, 18:57
No there wouldn't be a problem her owning it.:)
Just the dozen or so relatives living there when ya decide to go back!:omg::Rasp:

grahamw48
9th February 2011, 00:04
Absolutely spot on ! :icon_lol:

ampy
9th February 2011, 22:07
well good luck jimbojac,,,,:Hellooo: i wam wisshing allthe best,,

ampy
9th February 2011, 22:09
very nice i love that!!! your asawa is very lucky lady .good luck:Wave:

Jimbojac
9th February 2011, 22:28
very nice i love that!!! your asawa is very lucky lady .good luck:Wave:
Thanks Ampy and best wishes.:)
Jimbo.::Wave:

sneaker23
10th April 2011, 18:08
hi jim
justa a thought on your 1st post.

i wouldn't advise having it that way, that is if you're investing on a property here (not necessarily a house and lot / tract of land). instead foreigners can own a condo unit, and lease it (your GF can help while you're away) atleast you get to own the property.

It is BETTER buy something for a wife (not a GF) but its BEST if you own it :)

sneaker23
10th April 2011, 18:20
I was looking at what was available to buy property wise in the Philippines after reading this thread. You can even buy your own Island!!! :omg: Or maybe for your wife or girlfriend!!:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.islandsproperties.com/properties/islands/bic-can-is-9700/index.htm

speaking of paradise! indeed! that is so true :)

sneaker23
10th April 2011, 18:21
:Erm:I was wondering if I was to give a house in the Philippines [ Mindanao ] to my girlfriend & then we married and she relocated to the Uk, would there be a problem with her still owning the house?
I just exploring my future options & have no plans right now..... just in case she reads this :icon_lol:

not at all.
she is natural born filipina after all.

stevewool
10th April 2011, 18:56
Its on Panglao island Steve,, Its very rural and quiet and not for everyone... We've applied for title and once we get that I am thinking of subdividing into smaller and more affordable lots and perhaps leasing them to foreigners that want to live out in the sticks.. Like me! Oh..And we have Tarsiers!!
Cheers,
Fred.

hi fred sorry so late in getting back to you could be a inyresting venture this could have you a figure in mind for the land

fred
12th April 2011, 15:54
550.00 Per Sqr Metre Steve.. Hang on...I`ll see if I can find some pics to post..

fred
12th April 2011, 16:46
The front bit is our un matured garden with a direct view of our unfinished patio area etc..minus proposed swimming pool, Jacuzzi,bar and other future boys toys..the dirty black arrows are a crude attempt with photo shop at pointing to where the land for sale or lease will begin.. We've sold one 500 sqr mtr lot to a friend and Im in no rush to sell or lease the rest.. That said..Give me a shout if you want to take a butchers some time in the future..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/fred42/newleasedland.jpg

Our nipa hut.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/fred42/house.jpg

and one more with a pic of some local kids that gate crashed my extended birthday party.. I lay completely smashed somewhere behind the nipa hut (Or so Im told)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/fred42/locals.jpg

scott&ligaya
12th April 2011, 17:33
love it Fred, we always get that with the little kids, reminded me so much of our house parties with the extra kids from nowhere lol

grahamw48
12th April 2011, 19:12
Fred, I'll take 4 square metres for my tent please. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Looks lovely.

I particularly like your Opium patch. :D

fred
13th April 2011, 01:12
Funny you say that Graham and Im going to start a whole new thread on the subject at some point to get some general input and critique on a project we are probably going to begin this year..
Nothing to do with my Opium patch but more to do with my idea of starting a secure camp-site for backpackers or just about anyone that is put off visiting by the extortionately high accommodation rates here on Panglao island ..
Cheers,
Fred.

love it Fred, we always get that with the little kids, reminded me so much of our house parties with the extra kids from nowhere lol

I know.. We had around 60 visitors after inviting around 10 !!
The more the merrier I suppose!
We just had to lay on another 5 pots of rice and 3 large BBQ`d fish..Probably sufficient for 5 thousand,just in case.

Tawi2
13th April 2011, 21:36
starting a secure camp-site for backpackers
Very good idea:xxgrinning--00xx3:Only ever met one person in Pinas packing a tent however,you might have to supply them, also having showers on site and a communal area(backpackers/gap year students are sociable creatures) with lockers for individuals valuables?

fred
13th April 2011, 23:54
Very good idea:xxgrinning--00xx3:Only ever met one person in Pinas packing a tent however,you might have to supply them, also having showers on site and a communal area(backpackers/gap year students are sociable creatures) with lockers for individuals valuables?

Tawi.. The idea is to produce tents of all sizes (up to army size)complete with Japanese style futons (beds) with electric fans and LED lighting and a really nice shower and CR block..
Also large native roofed style eating area/bar.. To start with we will get a full time BBQ guy/girl to provide food / breakfast etc.
Later plans to open kids adventure play ground.. Might even build some native cottages for those that prefer extra comfort sometime in the future...
The family own about 4 hectares here so plenty of room..
Cheers,
Fred.

somebody
14th April 2011, 08:40
not at all.
she is natural born filipina after all.

I thin it can depend on the size of land, if she hs become a Briish Citzen and although in theory those who are a natural born Phill still can own land the British Filipino embassy advise (ok they get some cash out of it) to retake an oath once you have become a Brit so you can have a new phill passport.

I know some use there Phill passport they have renewed or gained before becoming British for ID purposes etc in buying lands etc. But i belive offcially that the mintue you bcome British your Phill passport and status offcilly changes. I dont know what would happen if you use expired ID to purchase/lease land but i could see the possibily of Court action if there is a chance to snach back or gain money..

Also be careful of extended family, friends and Neighbours wishing to exploit any loop hole..

I would strongly advise any brit phill couples to investigate the rules and laws to ensure they dont get caught out.

Also what happens if there are local by laws or is a change in the future which afects ownership or taxation?

somebody
14th April 2011, 08:43

As middle class and upper class Phill becomes more affluent gap years will become more popular locally.

The Wifes younger brother is on a gap year and is not uncommon an expresion to hear in and around the affulent laguna city i'm in presently it appears.

sars_notd_virus
14th April 2011, 21:14
If any members here can help it would be greatly appreciated!:)

I was thinking of buying a modest 3-4 bedroom house and small parcel of land in Northern Mindanao. The title would have to be in my GF's name.

Questions:

1... Is there any truth that i can "lease it" from her to get over any legal ownership from me being a foreigner? I have heard you can draw up a 50 year lease at a ridiculously low rental rate just to keep it " legal."

Thanks folks for any advice, very welcome!:Wave:

Why rent if you can afford to buy it for her, if she deserves it then go for it!! remember that if youre renting your giving away money to people(landlord) who doesnt take care of you like your gf does at the moment,....life is full of surprises and sometimes $hit happens :rolleyes: , but then again,you can charge it all to experience..;)

grahamw48
14th April 2011, 22:43
Very true.

My ex is very grateful for the property that she acquired in the Phils, after I built and paid for it.

I never did receive any of the 16 hectares of land she inherited either. :NoNo:

Won't be doing that again.

Walaytawo
15th April 2011, 05:37
Although I am quite drawn to the idea of buying cheap land, and building a nice home overlooking the beach. I've known and heard of enough guys here giving up their homes when things turn sour to turn me off the idea for now. Married with children would be different, as I'd want to make sure they've got a roof over their head should anything happen to me. But for now I like the flexiibilty of renting, that you can easily and quickly up sticks if you want to or need to.

Tawi2
15th April 2011, 07:39
building a nice home overlooking the beach.
When I am in Davao I wake every morning right on the beach,lola has a beach resort,well known in the city,BUT in cotabato theres a small farm I would rather call home,your right,renting gives you the flexibility if your single in Pinas to up sticks and move around a little over time :)

somebody
15th April 2011, 08:58
Dam i must be lucky the wife is paying out of her own pocket to improve housing of some of the family, start up small businesses on some of the family plots and employ some more local people :xxgrinning--00xx3:

She even paid for the holiday and spending money all i have done is buy some pasaulong before we got here and a few Meals out for people :D

In fact some of our spending money is coming from a Business the wifes little sister is running now she has graduted :xxgrinning--00xx3:

My advice let all the family work and pay for the housing (family who will live in it that is) chip in of course and help kickstart but no person from any background will benefit from getting money or the things we work for parachuted in..

Just as benefit culture in the UK if families become reliant on affects them massively its the same here. Something for nothing is not helpful..

somebody
15th April 2011, 09:14
Also a word to the wise im sure as your older and wisr be careful trusting those courses many of us have done on body language and understanding the customer. Some trainers I have who have trained in phil and india have mentioned some of the major differences in those countries.

But from personally experience region to region person to person in phill I have notice small little difference that contradict the other local body language. Some even speak a different language or dialect and may use that body language!!!

Even wise locals get taken in as you say the stakes are high if it means the survival of your family.

Also regarding land take some time in the wifes family and circle of friends nearly everyone seems o have or know someone with land to sell.

Just today in the house we are staying in the Tita and Tito have suddenly realized how much land they had out the back as the workers clear the undergrowth to start up a new farm!!! It goes back for what seems like miles you could build a shopping mall init almost:Rasp:

Land in Phill gets over grown quickly and many may no realize if a family plot held for generations how much they have..

grahamw48
15th April 2011, 09:14
Yes, you are very lucky. :icon_lol:

Walaytawo
15th April 2011, 10:41
When I am in Davao I wake every morning right on the beach,lola has a beach resort,well known in the city

Buenavista? you jammy git :icon_lol:

http://www.buenavistaislandresort.com/

keithAngel
15th April 2011, 19:27
There is government leased land available in Cebu dont know about anywhere else its all leased but folk are often keen to sell you (there lease) some, you have to pay the back taxes but one guy got a big plot at 20 piso a sq.mt friends are exploring this now you have to inprove the land fence trees etc but theres lots of it out of the cities:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
15th April 2011, 19:38
Buenavista? you jammy git
I am lucky,but not THAT lucky:icon_lol:still a very well known beach resort however in Davao,everyones heard the family name which has stood me in good stead in the past and opened doors:)

somebody
19th April 2011, 05:30
With any land especially if its been laying idle take your time and carry out checks and double then triple check that the land is the sellers and it has not been used as security for loans.

Spare land in Phill is often hard to sell but easy to raise capital on.

The Wife and others in the family who are abroad now has been for a while buying back Tracts of land back.

Make sure you have right of way access and any utilities ie water phone line etc come via land you own from the main road if possible.

Often read of people buying land but not the section which gives them access to the main road..

A few in the wife's family raised capital on Land but thankfully did not do so on the land access. So the banks found it near useless so were happy to liquidise the asset for a not to high price. I don't think many banks would be stupid enough to do such things now days..

somebody
23rd April 2011, 14:24
Another point (sorry been imersed in the subject over the last couple of weeks) find out whats happening regarding flooding and other natural "Issues"

Also see how things will fair over the next ten twenty thirty years etc..

In the Wifes local town several projects are underway to reducde the flooding but it has got a lot worse over the last 5-10 years. Also no gurnantees that the flooding may not become more of an issue. What with areas which were flood plains being bulit on trees being chopped down rivers and lakes being misued as dumping grounds for waste and of course maybe human intevention the local Mayor/council/rich land owner redirects the potential flooding issues away from his and his chums land.

Seen plenty of new propeties (we are planning and buliding several batches of appartments on different plots at the present so been scouting) which seem to have not been designed to deal with likely annual flooding. Some even seem to be in land lower lying than all around:doh

I know Phills live for the moment but never hurts to think ahead.

scott&ligaya
23rd April 2011, 14:57
if you get the opportunity and are buying away from your honeys province as in our case then visit Landbank and PNB and ask for their foreclosed list of land plots and properties. The problem with clean title is not then yours and if at some point you are challenged on the deeds you revert to the bank and it beomes their problem. We bought our house./plot in Puerto Princesa that way and of course because they have an outstanding mortgage on the property that there not getting paid, the banks are very keen to offer maximum discounts. We got ours at an embarrassingly low price WOO HOO:Jump::Jump:

somebody
23rd April 2011, 22:36
if you get the opportunity and are buying away from your honeys province as in our case then visit Landbank and PNB and ask for their foreclosed list of land plots and properties. The problem with clean title is not then yours and if at some point you are challenged on the deeds you revert to the bank and it beomes their problem. We bought our house./plot in Puerto Princesa that way and of course because they have an outstanding mortgage on the property that there not getting paid, the banks are very keen to offer maximum discounts. We got ours at an embarrassingly low price WOO HOO:Jump::Jump:

Yeah I have done much studying of those lists i can remeber 5 or so years ago first reading though them by chance whole streets can appear on them as different lots!! Can be quite eye opening on who owns what..

I would suggest checking the Mahals families propties suddenly certain behaviour by certain households becomes easier to explain..

madmitch537
1st May 2011, 18:31
hi im new here
maybe this advice may help
i have just taken the risk of funding a property just outside olongapo city in philippines a big risk as it is common for girls there to do this with foriegners to then take the lot as you have no legal ownership even if you marry there its not much differant really always a risk i do not know about lease deals but bits i do know from experience there are many things you can do to give a little safe gaurd
my girlfriend/fiancee insisted at the local attornys office that dealt with the sale draw up papers to insist that i had a claim to the propertys value not the property or more importantly the land
it basically says that if we break up i can authorise its sale in real terms i dont really know how it would stand up
but the attorny did advise my girl not to do this because she could stand to have no claim all quite bizarre so its a suggestion id be interested to know how you fair
also my girl had all sorts of checks done through a local goverment employee{friend to see if any debt was attatched to the property as houses often get additional loans taken against them often lease schemes for reasonable fees to be repaid after say a yr or two but often this is not repaid then you can stake a claim then often to find other huge debts linked to it
all very bizarre and care needs to be taken
lucky that no debts were revealed
but we did get a shock when the local water company presented us with a bill but with debt from previous months outstanding
the electric company revealed the same kind of issue when they turned up to cut off the electric
so unless the previous owner clears the debt the only other way is to buy a new meter in her name cost 3,000 peso
could that happen here i really dont think so
this is ongoing my advice be very carefull
id also be very interested in banking there for the future regards mark

Terpe
3rd May 2011, 16:18
As previously stated, buying property/land can be a big hassle, with more twists and turns and ins and outs that even most attorneys cannot properly handle!!

You may hear, learn, or create many clever and innovative ways to get around the law. Forget it.

If ever you would be legally contested you would lose.

Now the good news. Although you cannot legally lease a property from your wife, you CAN legally lease from your girlfriend. However, you still cannot either own the land or control the land on which it is built.

The double whammy in Phils is phrase '....cannot own the land or control the land on which it is built' No-one has ever, so far as I know, ended up as the winner
in any legal decision regarding this. Period.

Trust is a big thing.

On the question of getting a clean title this is a relatively easy thing to do yourself.

Go to the local assessors Office with the description of the property and property number.
From there you can get the title number.
Go to Register Of Deeds (ROD) and get a copy of the true title.
Now you know WHO and HOW MANY are title holders, and also if the property is mortgaged and by whom

I would never put my trust totally in an attorney.

No offence meant to anyone.

grahamw48
3rd May 2011, 16:52
I'll put it simply.

I would NEVER get involved with property purchase in the Phils.

Invest it in the UK.

If you want to play house in the Phils there are plenty of places to rent.

Ladies come and go, and you can be SURE that 'your' property will go with them. :NoNo:

YES I speak from experience...and I'm not daft, believe me.

stevewool
3rd May 2011, 17:26
wise words there, rent is becoming more intresting to me

madmitch537
5th May 2011, 13:05
brilliant
lots of valuable information advice and tips
great reading and i totally agree alot of trust and belief is needed although places are cheap to buy there alot could be lost if things go wrong
i took the risk of buying after three plus yrs of a strong relationship i thought it worth taking the risk
my girl insisted that she get an attorny to basically say i have a right to the properties value but as suggested ive no idea how it would stand up but it was very nice she even insisted to do this for me against the attornys advice
as advice here states you cannot own the land ever
very interesting and sure makes alot of issues clearer
best wishes mark

madmitch537
5th May 2011, 13:09
wise words there, rent is becoming more intresting to me

hi steve
its cheap for a modest place to i rented for a yr or so worked out to be about £90 a month or 6,000 peso for two beds bathroom kitchen living area small yard
good luck regards mark

Terpe
5th May 2011, 13:16
There's no problem in buying and owning a Condo.

Sorry, I'll just correct that statement.
It's possible to buy and own a condo in Pinas

Lot's of twists and turns there also in terms of the final gross cost (which incidently you may never know until your final signature is made)

somebody
9th May 2011, 21:40
You say your new to here. How new to the Phill world and your Girlfriend are you? Slow down would be my advice the two gents above me give great advice.

But why the rush to buy a place?

Will you stay there before and after marriage?

How will you finance your staying there?

What Visa would you have to stay there?

Im sure fellow forum users can think of other questions you need to be happy you can answer.