PDA

View Full Version : When is rainy season really?

subseastu
3rd February 2011, 07:35
The wife and me are looking at going back to the phils this year for a month but due to my line of work we have limited choices for when we can go. Looking at the websites it says the the rainy season starts about july lasting till november time (we're looking at june). My problem with this is when we're there last time in january it rained nearly constantly in the province (western Samar). This leads me to believe that these websites are out of date, the weather season there have definatelty changed from when I first went to the phils 10 or so years ago.

The family aren't alot of help in this weirdly, probably because they don't want to tell us one thing and it'll end up being completely different. So anyone any ideas about weather in the phils around june mainly in the Tacloban sort of area?

malditako
3rd February 2011, 08:21
some years rain start at May some years not and lasted till january...not to mention that some strong typhoon comes around november to january....if u want to experience the real summer in phils make a visit around march and april.

mindanao
3rd February 2011, 08:26
phil weather is unpredictable:NoNo:

Jimbojac
3rd February 2011, 08:44
Such an unpredictable place throughout the Phils!
I seriously think that most Filipinos are not as bothered as us about it, especially considering most do certainly not want our Western desired sun tans.............
The umbrella became " attached to the hip" on my last visit a few weeks back to Mindanao thats for sure but it did make the few sunny days "more" pleasant!:) and appreciated!

subseastu
3rd February 2011, 10:12
My problem is we'll be staying in the province and the house is in the middle of the rice farms. It was bad enough last time wading through the paddies up to my knees in mud and really want to minimize it this time out.

KeithD
3rd February 2011, 10:23
The weather around the world is so erratic these days, I'd just go when you can. Look how much rain we get in the Summer here now, massive snow storms in the US, hitting States that never had snow before, cyclones in Aus, even Singapore has much less Sun now than it did a decade ago.

If you go in the Summer to the Phil, expect high temperatures and unbearable humidity for a Westerner.

JimOttley
3rd February 2011, 11:12
The wife and me are looking at going back to the phils this year for a month but due to my line of work we have limited choices for when we can go. Looking at the websites it says the the rainy season starts about july lasting till november time (we're looking at june). My problem with this is when we're there last time in january it rained nearly constantly in the province (western Samar). This leads me to believe that these websites are out of date, the weather season there have definatelty changed from when I first went to the phils 10 or so years ago.

The family aren't alot of help in this weirdly, probably because they don't want to tell us one thing and it'll end up being completely different. So anyone any ideas about weather in the phils around june mainly in the Tacloban sort of area?

June's good, we've had a couple of good August's, I've had a nice couple of weeks in September and my Son's birthday is October so been over for that a few times.

I must have been lucky never experienced a proper typhoon, most of the time for me it's been sunny during the day then the electric light show and storms start just after the sun goes down.

subseastu
3rd February 2011, 12:54
I used to spend alot of time in olongopo when I was on the cable layers out there and there used to be a definante devide between the seasons. Trouble is on the east side to the phils (Samar) I think they get more rain than the west side due to being in the front line of pacific weather systems.

I think it'll be a case of welly boots and making sure of a stock of san mig, vodka, rhum and pandisal and eggs. What more can a man want?

sars_notd_virus
3rd February 2011, 13:14
When is rainy season really?

Philippines:

Rainy Season starts June 17 approximately 1300hrs or until October 21st up until round about lunch time,..Dry season running from November to May..May 12 is the hottest at 29C,apart from on a leap year,from when it will be a day after...Unless the moon is on Gemini,then it will be the day before:D

Definitely,Philippine Weather is more reliable than the British gloop that we call weather!!!

**...these are the facts and they are undisputable!!! **:rolleyes:

Terpe
3rd February 2011, 13:21

Philippines:

Rainy Season starts June 17 approximately 1300hrs or until October 21st up until round about lunch time,..Dry season running from November to May..May 12 is the hottest at 29C,apart from on a leap year,from when it will be a day after...Unless the moon is on Gemini,then it will be the day before:D

Definitely,Philippine Weather is more reliable than the British gloop that we call weather!!!

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:
Always enjoy your posts Sars.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
3rd February 2011, 14:42
come with us in dec / jan for a month the only water you will get is what comes out the shower or from the sea:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

JimOttley
3rd February 2011, 14:50
I used to spend alot of time in olongopo when I was on the cable layers out there and there used to be a definante devide between the seasons. Trouble is on the east side to the phils (Samar) I think they get more rain than the west side due to being in the front line of pacific weather systems.

I think it'll be a case of welly boots and making sure of a stock of san mig, vodka, rhum and pandisal and eggs. What more can a man want?

Yep that sounds pretty good :)

Regards the rain there were worries towards the end of last year about the reservoirs that supply Manila they are way way too low, real fears of the taps drying up this year!

subseastu
3rd February 2011, 17:22

Philippines:

Thats all a little vague for me, would appreciate it if you could be a bit more precise in your timings please!!!!:icon_lol:

subseastu
3rd February 2011, 17:24
Yep that sounds pretty good :)

Regards the rain there were worries towards the end of last year about the reservoirs that supply Manila they are way way too low, real fears of the taps drying up this year!

The wife was on about buying a water tank and pump and hooking into the village well but I'm not overly sure about that. seems along way to pump water over other peoples land.

Englishman2010
3rd February 2011, 19:08
I really wouldn't worry about it Stu, no one can guarantee the weather, I was there a few weeks ago when it was meant to be sunny but it was over cast and windy for most of my time there. I was also there in Aug when it was meant to be the wet season and again it was over cast but didn't really rain, thinking about it, I was there last April when it was meant to be red hot and it was overcast then as well. The only time I've seen really blue skies was last Jan.
Just go and enjoy yourself, don't let the fear of rain spoil your fun, even if it does rain it's not freezin' cold like it is here:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
3rd February 2011, 19:36
The wife was on about buying a water tank and pump and hooking into the village well but I'm not overly sure about that. seems along way to pump water over other peoples land.

Stu, have you thought seriously about your own 'deep well' ???
We did one in Nueva Ecija. Paid the workers by the foot, not by the day, who dug down 75 ft (we did not want ground water!!!)
All was 4" pipe.
We had a small platform built with a 2000Litre tank (although the platform could take 2 tanks)

The real trouble when drilling a water well is that you just don't know where the good water is until you find it.........whatever it takes .

Cost us P75,000 all in. But... water is good and 24/7

stevie c
3rd February 2011, 19:38
I find the month of may a good time to go if it is possible i always book a flight for this time of the year :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
3rd February 2011, 20:55
When I was over there last week I heard on the news that the 'summer' in Phils is going to be very short this year with April being the only good month. Not sure how reliable this info is though.

bornatbirth
3rd February 2011, 23:56
My problem is we'll be staying in the province and the house is in the middle of the rice farms. It was bad enough last time wading through the paddies up to my knees in mud and really want to minimize it this time out.

why not just get some wellies :Erm:

Arthur Little
4th February 2011, 09:51
phil weather is unpredictable :NoNo:

:D ... British weather is highly predictable :rolleyes: ... the 'Rainy Season' :raining: lasting from January thru' December ... in other words ... ad infinitum! :doh

fred
4th February 2011, 11:42
I dont know..All I know is it has been raining almost every day for 5 months and it doesn't look like its gonna stop anytime soon. Complete contrast to last year and the el nino.

subseastu
4th February 2011, 12:47
So all in all then the seasons are all to cock and its a suck it and see job. Never mind, just have to take wellies, umbrella, raincoat, shorts, t-shirt, sandles, sun tan oil just to cover the bases!

fred
4th February 2011, 12:53
There`s a man with a plan!! If you come in typhoon season bring a rubber dingy and some arm bands too.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

subseastu
4th February 2011, 13:00
maybe some waders as well

Englishman2010
4th February 2011, 23:12
and don't forget a duck shaped rubber ring:D

stevewool
5th February 2011, 09:39
and the soap on a rope too:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: