PDA

View Full Version : Engagement Ring

STU3UK
29th March 2007, 13:16
Im going out to Philippines next week to see my girlfriend where the plan is for me to propose :cwm38:

However, I do no know her ring size or what style she would like.

So I can do one of teo things,

- Buy a ring in UK and chance size
- Buy a ring in Philippines when she is with me (Getting the size right and obviuosly she will like the ring cos she can choose it.

I think the receipt of the ring would be good evidence for when we apply for the Visa in July, once we are engaged.

However, I am unsure if the Visa Control have any preference about where or when the ring would be bought?

Can anyone advise me please?

I might be getting picky but I just want to ensure everything is 100% for when we apply for the visa.

Thanks

Stu

tiger@tigress
29th March 2007, 13:28
Hi Stu,

Yes all receipt are good evidence (restaurant, shoppings, Cinema, concerts, Hotels, boardingpass, plane etc.) keep everything.

Depend on u if u want to surprise her find a way to get her finger size secretly using her other ring.

Good luck :Hellooo: :Hellooo:

Ann07
29th March 2007, 13:28
Hi

Filipina have tiny fingers:Rasp: just like me
My husband when he proposed to me he bought the ring here in uk. Unfortunately its not my size Even if i gave my ring size:bigcry: Uk uses letters while Philippines uses numbers. :Brick:

As in my case we dont used the receipt when we applied for the visa. It doesnt matter.

Philippines rings are cheaper :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Goodluck!

Ann07
29th March 2007, 13:30
When we resized it we paid 1500 pesos:bigcry:.Their reason was that its a diamond thats why its expensive i was watching the whole procedure:icon_lol: just in case....

STU3UK
29th March 2007, 13:36
If I buy one in Philippines does anyone know any good Jeweler shops in Manila or Iligan?

I have found a nice ring in here which is size O I dont know if it too big or not :(

My girlfriend is slim and the lady in shop said it would be ok but if it isnt to take it back they have to send it off to ensure I havent changed diamonds!

scotsfiancee
29th March 2007, 13:37
My hubby bought me ring in UK before the date of our engagement party.Yet it was a wrong size for me, think its G so we paid HKD500 just to resized to size 4.

Stu i think O is too big for her, try F

Yep its a good evidence for you to show :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
29th March 2007, 13:42
you might have trouble getting a ring to fit your own finger over in pinoyland , I couldn't find one that would fit me, had to get the ring enlarged, and wait a few days.. and another time i bought one here in the uk :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:doh

tiger@tigress
29th March 2007, 13:49
My hubby bought me ring in UK before the date of our engagement party.Yet it was a wrong size for me, think its G so we paid HKD500 just to resized to size 4.
Stu i think O is too big for her, try F
Yep its a good evidence for you to show :xxgrinning--00xx3:

TJ had to give me a ring before he leave Manila he's running out of time and no ring size available for me he ends up purchasing wedding....

When he comes back he purchase identical ring for himself seems we are married now lol

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

KeithD
29th March 2007, 13:54
Get hers in the Phil, it is REAL gold....not the colored copper they sell in the UK.

STU3UK
29th March 2007, 13:56
Get hers in the Phil, it is REAL gold....not the colored copper they sell in the UK.

Don't suppose you can reccomend a good Jewelers there?

Ann07
29th March 2007, 13:58
It was size F and my finger is size 4 still big:doh

I am size 4 and my size here is G 1/2. The girl in the jewellry shop here in the uk had a hard time looking for my size coz they dont normally sell half sizes:icon_lol: so i have to wait for 2 weeks :bigcry: to get my perfect size for our wedding:Erm:

Ann07
29th March 2007, 14:00
Theres a famous jewelry place in manila its cheap and nice quality its actually a chinese community... i forgot the name of the place.:yikes: i used to buy there.

tiger@tigress
29th March 2007, 14:02
It was size F and my finger is size 4 still big:doh
I am size 4 and my size here is G 1/2. The girl in the jewellry shop here in the uk had a hard time looking for my size coz they dont normally sell half sizes:icon_lol: so i have to wait for 2 weeks :bigcry: to get my perfect size for our wedding:Erm:

:Hellooo: :Hellooo: Glad we already have our wedding ring supposed to be engagement :Hellooo: :Hellooo:

scotsfiancee
29th March 2007, 14:06
Here are the jewelry shop in glorietta

http://www.ayalamalls.com.ph/content/ayala_store_search.asp?textfield=&select=Jewelry&select2=Glorietta&submit.x=4&submit.y=7

Ann07
29th March 2007, 14:15
it is in glorieta where we resized our ring expensive!:doh

KeithD
29th March 2007, 14:47
Don't suppose you can reccomend a good Jewelers there?
I could if you were stopping off at Singapore :xxgrinning--00xx3:

mike1
29th March 2007, 17:21
I was going to get ring at Dubai duty free on the way there last December , but then I thought what if ----- it does not fit , so when I told her she choose to go to Chinese in Manila -- R S Fine art Jewelry , 911 Ongpin St Sta, Cruz Manila , We were both very pleased with the selection of engagement rings ,the quality , the price , the service everything . Hope this is of some help .

Ping
29th March 2007, 19:09
If you go to Philippines and stop over in Singapore you can buy it there. There's a jewelry shop at the airport and its cheaper guaranteed 22karat gold and if you buy with stone its only 18karat gold.Don't worry no cheat in Singapore. You may ask the shop keeper the smallest or meduim size for Filipina.They know the Asian finger size. But for sure better buy it in her place.Every city in the Phillipines there's a jewelry shop and try to ask discount cause sometimes they over price especially to a foreigner. Be smart don't to let them screw you.

Regards,
Ping

KeithD
29th March 2007, 19:41
....don't to let them screw you.
She'd make a good scouser eh Joe? :xxgrinning--00xx3: :D

joebloggs
30th March 2007, 13:41

the ring i bought in pinoyland was made in Italy :omg:

joebloggs
30th March 2007, 13:44
She'd make a good scouser eh Joe? :xxgrinning--00xx3: :D

yes your scous-isum's are wearing off on the poor gal :NoNo:

it will be the shell suit next :cwm34:

KeithD
30th March 2007, 14:15
....it will be the shell suit next :cwm34:
Already done....:bigcry:

Ann07
30th March 2007, 15:51
That its...its in Ongpin hehehehehehe!:doh

scuba888
1st April 2007, 23:50
i bought my fiancees engagement ring in Chinatown, Manila (Ongpin)..........it was custom made, the jeweller measured her finger, she chose the design, the rocks, the bling-bling, the weight, the carat of the gold and diamond etc........it takes anything up to 3 or 4 weeks for the jeweller to make.............it sounds very expensive but trust me it was quite reasonable. Every big town or city will have these jewellery shops, ask your fiancee, she will know...........

mach
2nd April 2007, 02:30
ongpin is the place where you can buy the cheapest ring compare to the jewelry stores in the mall

Shamrockdave2003
2nd April 2007, 14:26
I bought a ring for my finace in Dec.

I couldnt decide on where to buy either.

In the end i bought one in Asia Mall she was able to try on and pick one that she wanted - luckly it fit her so we where able to buy it on the spot

KeithD
2nd April 2007, 20:37
Just use a ring pull of a coke can, and spend the money on yourself.....if she loves you....she'll understand :xxgrinning--00xx3:

baboyako
2nd April 2007, 21:46
i think the scots have a tradition of using her mothers ( or grandmothers) engagement ring?

I know a guy who had to ask her dad, they go see her grandparents, get the ring, then get it resized before he could pop the question :cwm24:

what a cuffufle :rolleyes:

fashion one from a kit-kat wrapper :xxgrinning--00xx3: ..if she loves you.....:Hellooo:

andypaul
3rd April 2007, 20:01
i think the scots have a tradition of using her mothers ( or grandmothers) engagement ring?

I know a guy who had to ask her dad, they go see her grandparents, get the ring, then get it resized before he could pop the question :cwm24:

what a cuffufle :rolleyes:

fashion one from a kit-kat wrapper :xxgrinning--00xx3: ..if she loves you.....:Hellooo:

Our wedding rings cost 70 quid each i think and the missus engagment ring was 70 as well i opted not to have an engagment ring.
Even though they cost little they are pricless to us and the money we saved on them we spent on the wedding party which was a far better way of using the cash imo :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Mich
7th April 2007, 08:57
there is a place here in manila where u can buy good engagement rings, the store is SUAREZ. there is one store in Gateway mall in Cubao. ithink the prices are reasonable there. i have been there once.

vbkelly
7th April 2007, 13:00
my husband bougth the engaged ring with me here in uk so to make sure its fit to my little finger 18k gold with diamond 18k aswell,,,anyway some jewelly shop in ongpin they sold fake careful if you buy there bcoz by the couple of days your gold ring is to become a silver one awww

alice
8th April 2007, 14:30
i suggest buy one in PH . also for your wedding rings. u can get a higher quality of diamonds in PH with reasonable prizes.
my hubby bought me an engagement ring in Manila and
our weddings ,when i came in UK i went to a shop and resized them since my fingers shrunk because of the lovely weather:) and they valuated the rings and it's 3 times more expensive. was thinking to buy some in PH and sell it in jewelry shops here hehehe

Mich
14th April 2007, 03:09
just go to the jewelry shops you can find in the mall, that way u can have a real gold ring... not fake ones. ongpin is not a reliable place to buy jewelries.

STU3UK
19th April 2007, 13:28
I have returned after a having a great time in the Philippines I cant wait to get back there again!

I miss my fiancee already so much! Its only been 2 days :(

Anyway thanks for all your help regarding the ring. After trawling around the numerous jewellery shops in the Gloriettas in Manila Hannah found one she liked and I bought it.