PDA

View Full Version : passports

stevewool
1st February 2011, 09:31
hi there what happens when you are going to book your flights and the name on your partners passport is still there madain name , emma wants to go to london and have her passport changed sooner then later , but what happens with the flight we book this week marriage name or name on passport, and now emma wants to change her passport to her married name before we fly in december, her passport is valid till may 2012 , i would like to book the flights sooner like this week for the cheap price, but am stuck with all the differant names, i thought you had to put the name what is on the passport, please help as emma says its ok but i have heard that one before:)

rusty
1st February 2011, 09:38
The booking must be made in the name that is in the passport.

Book it now in the maiden name, then when the passport is changed, call the airline to change the name on the ticket. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
1st February 2011, 09:46
...and take both passports with you to be on the safe side..... but call the airline once you've got the new one.

If you have an Air Miles account, you can sometimes change the passport details via that as well.

sophiamarie
1st February 2011, 10:11
Hi Steve, I once had the same problem! Hubby & I booked a return ticket UK/Manila in my maiden name sometime April last year, had to come home for my settlement visa, passport sorted (already changed to my married name), now we're only waiting for my visa to come through...I phoned up the airline the other day asking if possible to change my details, I was told it is not a problem at all...just make sure to bring both old & new....

Terpe
1st February 2011, 13:39
Changing the name on an air ticket can sometimes be an issue.
Agents will often want to charge a fee. Sometimes a hefty one.

Airlines can have different policies.
Always check the airline policy before purchasing a ticket.
When the name has been changed call the airline to either change the ticket or to add a note to the record. There will be no charge.
Sometimes the airline will not make any formal change when the ticket was obtained through an agent.

Differences in name due to legal name change (eg. marriage) are usually less hassle.
Even less hassle if Emma takes her maiden name as her middle name on her new passport.

When you travel, take all documents with you. (Old passports and marriage certificate)

Good luck

johncar54
6th March 2011, 13:57
My wife flew to Manila on her passport which was in her maiden name but amended in manuscript at the ROP consulate in Madrid to her married name. We booked the flight in her married name, No problems.

She renewed her passport when she was in Manila, in her married name.

I notified the airlines (Emirates and Iberia) of the new ID number. There were no charges and no problems.

Just in passing "Differences in name due to legal name change (eg. marriage).

Technicality there is no law in UK which says changing ones name is legal, however, there is also no law which says that changing it is illegal. Thus one can can their name at any time just by doing it (No paperwork) or keep their maiden name when they marry. "