PDA

View Full Version : Tax Rebate

evo76
31st January 2011, 22:37
Hello ..it's been awhile since i posted a message here...been busy with my 5 month old daughter..nice to be back again.

Anyways, does anyone here knows how to file or get tax rebate of an employee?...coz my husband has been working for a long time but he never tried filing for a tax refund. I dont know how does it work here in UK.

Thanks.

rusty
31st January 2011, 22:52
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/overpaid-thro-job.htm#3

Looks like he needs to contact his local tax office :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
1st February 2011, 09:56
Hi evo76

Your husbands employer is responsible for applying the tax code issued by the tax office (HMRC)

In principle, for PAYE it should not normally be necessary to request any tax refund as the end-of-year checks are done and any needed refunds are made automatically. Either by cheque payment of tax code adjustment.

The simplest thing to do is to have your hubby send a letter to his local tax office
or enquiry centre, indicating name, address, date of birth and national insurance number.
His letter should state that he believes he has paid too much tax and he now requests
a recalculation of tax paid and confirmation of his tax code.

It would be better that he also states which tax periods (tax years) he is requesting
to be checked.

Bluebirdjones
1st February 2011, 11:14
"but he never tried filing for a tax refund"

..... but please be aware, just because he's paid tax doesn't mean he's entitled to a refund.

Who knows, he might have underpaid his tax !

I suggest that instead of initially contacting them, you do a few sums on the back of a
fag packet, and see how the figures stack up against what he's paid.

Terpe
1st February 2011, 11:52
Underpaid or overpaid is not the norm under PAYE provided the employer has followed correct tax code issued by HMRC.

Yes, I know it can happen under certain circumstances, but mostly when it does
it gets corrected.

There is nothing wrong in asking HMRC
My advice regarding tax (and NI) is keep on top of it at least annually if needed.

Incorrect application of HMRC issued tax codes are the responsibility of the employer not the employee

evo76
5th February 2011, 11:43
They say that there are some agencies who does these things for us...they'll do all the documentation needed for a tax rebate, but of course we need to pay them a certain amount...what worries me is that what if instead of rebate, we might get upaid taxes?? but my friend told me not to worry coz my husband will be definitely informed by HMRC asap if he got unpaid taxes. What do you think about this?

Rosie1958
5th February 2011, 12:30
Hi Evo76

You don't appear to have stated whether your husband is employed or self employed but my advice to you is to steer clear of any such agency. Terpe is a former employee of HMRC (and so am I) and has given some very good advice. Unless your husband has been taxed on PAYE emergency coding for some time (I'm a bit out of touch as left years ago but I think that emergency coding for 2010/11 is 647L with probably a WK/ MTH 1 after this too) it is doubtful that a refund is due. Check his payslips for the tax code currently being used and contact your local tax office if you have any queries.