PDA

View Full Version : help please as to how to get work visa to UK

fairy
29th March 2007, 00:33
I wonder if someone can help. I have a Filipino friend who really wants to come to the UK to work. She currently works in Dubai. I have looked into the sources of information I can find on the internet as to how she is legally able to come to the UK to work but none seem to be of any help.

She is 50 years old and married (she is only intending to come on her own with her husband remaining in Dubai). She has a degree in agriculture and has spent much of her working life in agricultural research. In more recent years she has been in the USA working as a nursing assistant to nurses (she has some basic qualifications in nursing but is not a qualified nurse). She also spent 4 years in the USA as a care assistant working for an elderly lady.

She ideally wants to come to the UK as a care assistant or housekeeper. She is unable to come as domestic help as she has not worked for us for the required time. If necessary we are happy to sponsor her but I don’t think this helps in her circumstance.

Does anyone know if there is any way she is able to come to work in the UK and how she can go about this. I would really like to help her if I can.

Many thanks. :Rasp:

KeithD
29th March 2007, 09:20
http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=2872&highlight=work

fairy
29th March 2007, 13:06
yes I saw that - very disappointing. She would have been a great asset in this country.

baboyako
29th March 2007, 15:02
:Erm: can she play football?

fairy
29th March 2007, 15:37
I expect that is the only thing she cannot do!!!

Anyone else got any bright ideas as to how I can help her?

can a company specifically sponsor her and if so does she have to be doing a job that that a UK national can't??

LadyJ
29th March 2007, 16:47
Hi Fairy, tell her to visit the http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ and http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk and find out if she qualified to get a visa to UK.

Sorry that's all I can give but I hope this helps.

KeithD
29th March 2007, 16:56
You need a job before they give you a visa, same goes for footballers :)

fairy
29th March 2007, 17:48
have looked but it is of no help in her case. I had n't realised it was quite so difficult to come to work here as I have several Filipino friends so imagined it was n't that difficult.

KeithD
29th March 2007, 18:14
It's also going to get tighter, and more expensive...starting tomorrow.

joebloggs
30th March 2007, 13:39
You need a job before they give you a visa, same goes for footballers :)

Polish dont need visa's :xxgrinning--00xx3: :xxsmilie_fussball:

KeithD
30th March 2007, 14:16
That is because they are in EUROPE ya daft twit :doh ....Joe still thinks the world is flat & ends at Salford :rolleyes:

joebloggs
30th March 2007, 14:24
poland is in europe :yikes: , next you'll be telling me Israel is playing in European Cup

:laugher: :xxparty-smiley-050: :laugher:

ervenescence
5th April 2007, 22:00
Sometimes I imagined, how I wish that my friends and relatives who are willing to seek jobs here in UK are polish but unfortunately I was only dreaming.

btw, at the moment I worked in a company with more numbers of Polish than English people and just one or 2 asian including myself.

Beware! Polish envasion.

LadyJ
5th April 2007, 22:44
I've got two part-time jobs

Job 1 - we have 2 polish people.

Job 2 - 5 Polish, 3 English and 1 Asian which is me.

then hubby bought a secondhand car on the internet auction, when we pick up the car, the owner was a couple of polish.

aromulus
5th April 2007, 22:45
Here we go..........

What's so fantastic about Wrexham ????

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/mid/6379037.stm

As soon as I get familiar with Welsh........... It's phased out in favour of Polish...
Soon we will have road signs in 3 languages..
Can't see any more ducks in the ponds in Wales...

Looking forward to retire in Cebu.... in about 15 years.

joebloggs
6th April 2007, 00:56
keith, the polish invasion will be near you soon :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

i dont know why iam moaning, where my parents come from is not that far from poland :icon_lol:

iam just worried about the effect it will have on low wages, and for school leavers trying to find jobs and also its difficult enough for kids on the large housing estates already to find a job.

KeithD
6th April 2007, 09:19
If so many Eastern Europeans have flooded the market, why are we massively short of building workers, basic IT staff, general farming, etc? 1'000's of these jobs around, and they can't be filled. All the minimum wage, but a job is a job, and folk lazing around on benefits should by law be made to do anything to get their foot back on the first rung.

All the skilled European labour has mostly returned to country of origin now, as over here, even with PhD's, they were only offered labour jobs, and got far better work back at home with major investment by large companies moving in.

joebloggs
6th April 2007, 14:30
who says we are short of IT staff, i dont think so, the uni are churning out people with degrees. farming is seasonal, who wants or can rely on seasonal work, and yes its low paid and damn hard work. keith a job is a job, but if the job dosn't even cover the basics to live, look at how water has gone up 10% , gas is a joke, same with electric, community charge, everythnig goes up, but my wage is the same or goes up a few %.

as for the professionals going home, my nephew works for an estate agant, a polish architec has just rented a house from them for £1000 a month. like we've all said pinay are not stupid niether are the polish, they will take any job, but not for long they will find better jobs. and then whos going to do the jobs the polish dont want ? polish have in general a better level of education than the uk and most other european countires.

KeithD
6th April 2007, 14:49
Agricultural work is seasonal, farming isn't, the animals do not hibernate you know....then again, Mancs hibernate till the dole turns up :D

18% Shortage of staff in horse racing, that's about 2,000 jobs they cannot fill, even with Europeans.

Plenty of IT jobs around, I could start one next week......they are that desperate :icon_lol: .

You forget that if you take a low paid job, you still get beneifts such as housing/council tax/family credit, etc.

they will take any job

.....Glad you agree with me & Rob. That is the difference with Europeans across the water, they will take any job, in any country, for any wage. The lazy British want a job on the door step, well paid, for doing as little as possible. Just look at the different workloads between Phil nurses & Brit nurses in any hosiptal. Guess who does around 70% of the work?

joebloggs
6th April 2007, 21:57
IT JOBS :woohoo:
what type of IT jobs is there a shortage of ?

i can tell you for fact the industry iam in, Printer maintenace/reselling/refurb is completely :furious3: , sinking quicker than the titanic, the company i worked 4 1/2 yrs for went into liquidation in nov. they started up again, but since then i would say at least 15 compaines similar to us have gone bump, and some were fairly big... the printer servicing side has dropped quicker than the .com companies did :cwm24:

time i moved back into being an IT technian or tech support :Erm:

KeithD
7th April 2007, 09:03
You just mentioned one! Tech support, not enough IT knowledgeable people around, same goes for data processing. The low-level IT jobs have the same problem filling places, as the low-grade skivvy work, etc.

5000+ IT Data jobs available in the UK just on this one site alone, http://www.theitjobboard.com/index.php?keywords=data&locations%5B%5D=180&jobtype=0&days=0&orderby=1&submit=Search&task=JobSearch&xc=0&lang (http://www.theitjobboard.com/index.php?keywords=data&locations%5B%5D=180&jobtype=0&days=0&orderby=1&submit=Search&task=JobSearch&xc=0&lang)=