PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive !

Doc Alan
28th January 2011, 13:34
I'm so sorry to say that my hard drive has failed (again) on my Dell Inspiron Mini netbook. A friend thinks it's been over heating. I've had it since April 2009 and the hard drive had to be replaced last June.
Lat time it took about 10 days to be repaired, which I understand is not an excessive time, but I would not recommend this netbook or the time wasted waiting for picking up and returning the computer. They refuse to give a time, only the date !
Right now I'm in the library "internet cafe" , which hopefully will escape the threat of closure, because it's certainly a well used facility here.
So if I don't post much in the next 2 weeks please understand !

KeithD
28th January 2011, 13:37
TIP: Anyone with a laptop/netbook should use a cooler underneath. This prevents overheating, and prolongs the life of the machine. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=laptop+cooler&_sacat=See-All-Categories

NEVER put a laptop on your knee, bed, etc unless all the vents are clear.

Sim11UK
28th January 2011, 14:06
I've got my laptop sitting on 2 pieces of 2 x 1 as we speak...It dosen't look too good, but it stops it overheating. :Cuckoo:
Plus the lid??? is broken & all floppy, so it's resting against a cardboard box. :doh

...But hey! this is the 21st Century!...the age of communication. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Pete/London
28th January 2011, 14:44
TIP: Anyone with a laptop/netbook should use a cooler underneath. This prevents overheating, and prolongs the life of the machine. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=laptop+cooler&_sacat=See-All-Categories

NEVER put a laptop on your knee, bed, etc unless all the vents are clear.

My sis-in-law had one of them when we met her in Bangkok.Really worked well and was cheap to buy. Though she works in Singapore and it seems to be a good place for cheap accessories.She gave me a charge storage pack for mobile phones that cost her 8 Singapore $, very useful.

Dedworth
28th January 2011, 16:07
Very bad news Doc about the HDD - would it be worth talking to Trading Standards and seeing if it would be viable to threaten Dell with Small Claims Court under the Sale of Good Act for selling goods not of a merchantable quality. I'd be inclined to take them all the way as online it it is fairly inexpensive to start a claim http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/making-a-complaint/taking-a-dispute-to-the-small-claims-court/

A few years ago I ended up putting the Bailiffs in and getting £300 plus from Homebase over a non critical part missing from a kids study bunk. Cost me about £20 which is added to their final payment.

I go along with the advice about the cooler and use a fold up stand jobby with my laptop to give the vents clearance.Problem is they can be a bit unstable when you fold the comp down. These ball things look a simpler and cheaper alternative

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Laptop-Notebook-Cool-Ball-Cooler-Stand-w-Skidproof-Pad-/200568785238?pt=UK_Computing_LaptopAccess_RL&hash=item2eb2d4c956

Don't buy Dell - weve got an Acer netbook which is 2 yrs old and going fine. This looks a half decent deal Compaq £175 from Tesco Win 7

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.210-3905.aspx

stevewool
28th January 2011, 16:33
i have one of those coolers and they keep me cool too, with a blue light shining form under :)

KeithD
28th January 2011, 16:37
I've never had a problem with Dell.... HD's will fail on any make of computer regardless of brand.

imagine
28th January 2011, 17:21
covering your lap top may damage the hard drive,:yikes:

Dedworth
28th January 2011, 18:07
I've never had a problem with Dell.... HD's will fail on any make of computer regardless of brand.

Agreed but twice in 2 years would not encourage me to cross my fingers and hope for 3rd time lucky. Time to switch brands.

somebody
28th January 2011, 19:44
Gotta say had loads of dells myself at work and at home they are ok had plenty last with out any inssues thought their life.

Another vote for ensuring its cooled and has clear airways.

Not a great fan of the netbooks as many look like the cases simply don't have any airflow inside them.

When looking/buying even if you intend to go online try and pop in during the afternoon or evening when the device has been on all day.

Also Alan Sir how are you shuting down and how long do you have the device on at a time?

Im sure you will be shutting down as suggested by Dell but I know of many examples of XP not shutting down correctly or taking ages and ages meaning people simply hold the off button down, if you do this try to check the hdd is not active at the time.

Also at home we have one dell laptop where it has no HDD actvity indicator. and one the wifes latest XPS device the indicator is hidden behind the screen when the lid is open:doh

When that light is on dont turn the power off.

If you dont have a HDD activity indicator trying feeling the case to feel if the HDD is moving. Not an easy thing to do

Also some Laptop batterys have a tendecy to drain very quickly. Check the barry alarm and power is set to shutdown when you have a few percent left on. Otherwise I have seen some devices lose power before the machine can shutdown or hibenate safely..

I would write to Dell and like Dedworth says threaten further action if they can not give reasons why this fault seems to be reoccuring. Sometimes your be surprised if you can get past level 1 support how good the service can be at many large companies if you have a reasonable issue which needs resolving..

Doc Alan
29th January 2011, 12:54
Very helpful advice ! The netbook is still under warranty and is being collected by courier next week, with a promise to return within 7 working days. They cannot be persuaded to specify a time, simply saying between 8 am and 6 pm Monday, just as well I'm not at work. It will be the same when it's returned.
The notebook is still under warranty, and I think the best policy is to hope they will repair it - assuming it IS the hard drive. I've been told by friends who know more than me (not difficult!) that parts may not be replaced free, if it appears that I'm responsible through allowing overheating. So I will await their reaction, before complaining !
Whatever the outcome, I have purchased a Sony Vaio which I'm using now, taking care to ventilate adequately !
Probably like many people, when I purchased the netbook about 2 years ago, I never imagined using the computer so much. Now I really appreciate the full size laptop, and will just keep the netbook in reserve.

Sim11UK
29th January 2011, 13:40
Welcome back to e-land Doc! :Hellooo:

mickcant
30th January 2011, 10:01
A good examply of why it is important to do backups:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I prefere a desctop machine, they are so easy to get at inside and change parts.

Mick.:)

les_taxi
30th January 2011, 11:02
A good examply of why it is important to do backups:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I prefere a desctop machine, they are so easy to get at inside and change parts.

Me too wouldn't touch a laptop with a barge pole,well ok i have but don't like them at all and the mouse control drives me nuts!

mickcant
30th January 2011, 11:26
I know Doc Alan’s laptop is under warrantee.

My son bought one from Carphphone Warehouse, under a credit agreement, the hard drive failed at around 3 weeks; they would not exchange it for another, said they would send it to the manufacture.

It took 3 weeks before it came back, it is ok for now.

grahamw48
30th January 2011, 11:52
My boy has a new Toshiba all-singing all-dancing laptop (birthday present from me).

I have a 2003 desktop...upgraded here and there. :rolleyes:

This generally goes for all our possessions...but I don't begrudge him anything. :)

KeithD
30th January 2011, 12:11
Tesco have a laptop sale online .... netbooks from £143 :cwm24:

joebloggs
30th January 2011, 12:49
£143 :yikes:

laptops we use at home..
lenovo T43 cost me £170 over 2 1/2 yrs ago , still working :xxgrinning--00xx3: was on 24/7 for more than 1yr
lenovo t61 cost me £190 1yr ago (like new it was) using it now
and
a dell d630 for £100 - like new again :xxgrinning--00xx3: me little gal has it :angry:

good second hand/refurbished ones out there :rolleyes:

flyaway
31st January 2011, 10:08
Acer, 1 years old, only cost me 500...no wait, crap.

Doc Alan
31st January 2011, 14:50
The Dell courier collected my netbook at 9.30 am ( could have been any time between 8 am - 6 pm), with a promise to return within 7 working days. Thanks again everyone for posting, I'll update you with the outcome ! Meantime the Sony Vaio is in a completely different league (but with a different price tag). I obtained "free" Norton security for a year as part of the package, so I have time to seek advice about security before the year expires.

les_taxi
31st January 2011, 18:12
The Dell courier collected my netbook at 9.30 am ( could have been any time between 8 am - 6 pm), with a promise to return within 7 working days. Thanks again everyone for posting, I'll update you with the outcome ! Meantime the Sony Vaio is in a completely different league (but with a different price tag). I obtained "free" Norton security for a year as part of the package, so I have time to seek advice about security before the year expires.

Aww no not the 'my virus protection is best' routine:yikes:
You don't know what you have started Doc:icon_lol:

Dedworth
31st January 2011, 18:37

This is what I use to protect my computer :D

http://www.faqs.org/photo-dict/photofiles/list/653/1061baseball_bat.jpg

Terpe
31st January 2011, 18:39
.... Meantime the Sony Vaio is in a completely different league (but with a different price tag). .........

I've had many Laptops, all Sony Vaio. Great pieces of equipment.
(quite a few went to Phils and stayed there:doh)

My netbook is also sony. Pretty good machine. But I do not see me getting another netbook any time soon.

Doc Alan
31st January 2011, 19:29
You mean I should stick to topics I know something about ...like :Erm:health? Not computers, football, religion and politics ?:NoNo: I've got a year to decide on the best antiviral protection ...could run as long as Terpe's "I've given up smoking" thread :yikes:

Terpe
31st January 2011, 19:41
...could run as long as Terpe's "I've given up smoking" thread :yikes:

:NoNo::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

les_taxi
31st January 2011, 19:47
All of the pc savy guys (myself included) will all tell you which is the best a/v and it's a never ending loop as we all have different opinions:icon_lol:

mickcant
31st January 2011, 19:49
Hi Doc Alan,
If using Windows Microsoft have their own free programme that seems good.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Norton I am told can be a resorce hugger.
Mick.:ReadIt:

les_taxi
31st January 2011, 20:09
Here we go:icon_lol:

grahamw48
31st January 2011, 21:11
AVG seems to work for me, and it's free ! :)

I combine it with Windows Defender...also free, and a bit of Spybot when I remember...also free.

Englishman2010
31st January 2011, 21:40
Welcome back Doc:xxgrinning--00xx3: It's probably a good decision to go to a proper lap top if you're on line a lot. Netbooks are OK for browsing, but like all things you get what you pay for, and a higher priced machine will usually give you better performance.
In my business we buy a lot of laptops and never have problems with Sony or Toshiba's and they do get a fair bit of stick by the users. HP's, Acers and Dell's don't usually last as long. Personally I've been using Toshiba's for 18 years and never had a hardware failure, it would take a lot to convince me to switch from Tosh, but a Sony is one brand I would consider:xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
31st January 2011, 21:56
PC Tools is free spyware detector, AV and Firewall.... you can get some of it free via Google Pack

Englishman2010
31st January 2011, 22:22
PC Tools is free spyware detector, AV and Firewall.... you can get some of it free via Google Pack

The problem with all of these security and spyware programmes is the amount they slow down your pc. I've got virus checkers, bot detectors, anti spyware, just about everything going installed on my machine and when you take into account the performance needed to run all of these, I dont think PC's are actually any quicker now than they were 10 yrs ago when all I had was a basic version of McAfee or Norton:rolleyes:
Someone recommended a key stroke blocking prog the other day, I installed it, but it kept causing IE to crash if I had 2 webpages open. I've uninstalled it now and everything is fine again

joebloggs
31st January 2011, 23:08
The problem with all of these security and spyware programmes is the amount they slow down your pc. I've got virus checkers, bot detectors, anti spyware, just about everything going installed on my machine and when you take into account the performance needed to run all of these, I dont think PC's are actually any quicker now than they were 10 yrs ago when all I had was a basic version of McAfee or Norton:rolleyes:
Someone recommended a key stroke blocking prog the other day, I installed it, but it kept causing IE to crash if I had 2 webpages open. I've uninstalled it now and everything is fine again

:yikes: no probs with the key scrambler, been using it for 6 months :rolleyes:
:yikes: IE, only use firefox :D

les_taxi
31st January 2011, 23:18

You don't need lots of different programs,I only have one Norton internet security and that's it and I haven't had to format in over 8 months:xxgrinning--00xx3:
My pc runs sweet as a nut and considering I use newsgroups all the time I have no probs whatsoever:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Englishman2010
31st January 2011, 23:19
:yikes: no probs with the key scrambler, been using it for 6 months :rolleyes:
:yikes: IE, only use firefox :D

TBH IE is rubbish, but I have to use it as most of the web apps I use for work dont like Firefox or Chrome

Englishman2010
31st January 2011, 23:22
You don't need lots of different programs,I only have one Norton internet security and that's it and I haven't had to format in over 8 months:xxgrinning--00xx3:
My pc runs sweet as a nut and considering I use newsgroups all the time I have no probs whatsoever:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I used Norton for years and never had any problems, but the bean counters at work decided to save money and didn't renew the licences, so we have to use a variety of free or cheaper programmes now, none of them are as good as Norton:rolleyes:

I still run Norton and nothing else on my own PC's :xxgrinning--00xx3:

les_taxi
31st January 2011, 23:27
I used Norton for years and never had any problems, but the bean counters at work decided to save money and didn't renew the licences, so we have to use a variety of free or cheaper programmes now, none of them are as good as Norton:rolleyes:

I still run Norton and nothing else on my own PC's :xxgrinning--00xx3:

The trouble is Norton will get slagged off as it was always a big hogger of resources and nigh impossible to uninstall, people keep saying that now and it simply isn't true any more.
I used to love nod 32 but I now prefer Norton and have basically been bench testing it on my own pc for over a year and I have found it fantastic.
Please remember I am a newsgroup user so exposed to all sorts of nasties but nothing has gotten through Norton at all:xxgrinning--00xx3
Even my previous favourite nod 32 is not as good as the new Norton.

grahamw48
1st February 2011, 00:16
I've been using this PC since 2003. :olddude:

I've only put a bigger graphics card in it and added an extra hard drive.

I use Mozilla Firefox.

The old girl still runs fine.:)

grahamw48
1st February 2011, 00:19
Welcome back Doc:xxgrinning--00xx3: It's probably a good decision to go to a proper lap top if you're on line a lot. Netbooks are OK for browsing, but like all things you get what you pay for, and a higher priced machine will usually give you better performance.
In my business we buy a lot of laptops and never have problems with Sony or Toshiba's and they do get a fair bit of stick by the users. HP's, Acers and Dell's don't usually last as long. Personally I've been using Toshiba's for 18 years and never had a hardware failure, it would take a lot to convince me to switch from Tosh, but a Sony is one brand I would consider:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Oh good...I just bought my son a Toshiba for his birthday. :xxgrinning--00xx3: (I know NOTHING about laptops :rolleyes:)

Steve.r
1st February 2011, 00:20
Last november my Acer 5520 decided to die, so i sent it away to be repaired, £170, 2 new motherboards and 4 months later I have it back and it is running sweet, well...... apart from the dvd drive not being recognised anymore.
But because i could not be without a connection, my parents decided to buy me a new laptop fro birthday/christmas present. I added to what they gave me and got a new Toshiba i5 Core Satelite L650 It is running window7 and i am really pleased.
I have formatted my old Acer, so will let the little lady have it, even though she has one already, it is so slow it is painful.

I think the Sony's are great too, I did look at them but the £££ was a bit hot for me. I am happy you are pleased with it Alan, nice to have a big screen to look at fish and bikes right ?? :xxgrinning--00xx3:

JimOttley
1st February 2011, 01:56
£143 :yikes:

laptops we use at home..
lenovo T43 cost me £170 over 2 1/2 yrs ago , still working :xxgrinning--00xx3: was on 24/7 for more than 1yr
lenovo t61 cost me £190 1yr ago (like new it was) using it now
and
a dell d630 for £100 - like new again :xxgrinning--00xx3: me little gal has it :angry:

good second hand/refurbished ones out there :rolleyes:

Joe snap :), we have a T43 bought second hand on ebay with a really gorgeous 1400x1050 screen, mint condition for 160 quid, my main laptop is a T61 that I got for for 250 quid, great laptop!

I have an issue with the T43 though the old Fujitsu IDE disk I fitted has been having trouble spinning up sometimes which is a real pity, it failed on me a day before I was due to come home, I will need to take one of my other old 2.5" IDE drives over next time I go to the Phils and rebuild the OS.

KeithD
1st February 2011, 10:14
You can get some decent systems on Ebay, although these days you should be looking for a dual core for less than £200, with at least 160GB HD and 2GB memory.

JimOttley
1st February 2011, 12:45
Yep that's true, I did an awful lot of research before buying though.

My T61 is dual core came with 2GB RAM and 250GB drive, I upgraded the RAM and disks to a total of 8GB RAM (64 bit OS) and 1TB of storage for less than an extra 130 quid, great machine now :)

The thing about the Lenovo's is the fantastic keyboard, best in the business in my opinion.

Overall condition of mine was superb, really hope it last me a good while.

Doc Alan
1st February 2011, 15:22
I think the Sony's are great too, I did look at them but the £££ was a bit hot for me. I am happy you are pleased with it Alan, nice to have a big screen to look at fish and bikes right ?? :xxgrinning--00xx3:
About 600GBP, including "free" Norton security for a year, from Comet. Not being an expert, I preferred to see and try the laptop for myself, rather than order on the internet.
Here's another advantage to readers of my posts - I don't need to increase the font size now I'm not using the netbook :xxgrinning--00xx3:
As for looking at fish and bikes, yes, that's better on the 15.5" screen, so also is beautiful scenery from the Philippines, all of which are unaffordable for the time being :doh.

somebody
6th February 2011, 21:35
About 600GBP, including "free" Norton security for a year, from Comet. Not being an expert, I preferred to see and try the laptop for myself, rather than order on the internet.
Here's another advantage to readers of my posts - I don't need to increase the font size now I'm not using the netbook :xxgrinning--00xx3:
As for looking at fish and bikes, yes, that's better on the 15.5" screen, so also is beautiful scenery from the Philippines, all of which are unaffordable for the time being :doh.

I think you made the right choice to get a larger device. If your on the regularly a netbook will probably cook itself. They are really made litterally to switch on here and there to quickly browse the web and check your emails not all day jobbies.

As I speak the Dell I have on for the last two three hours is warm to touch even with a clear air ways for all the fans.

HDD and Laptop batteries are often excluded from warrnties on PC's due to the fact they faill far more than other devices.

I have known of both HDD's and Laptop battries faill often but rarely other parts just like that..

More expensive Laptops possibly like the ones you have will have special motion sensors to detect if a laptop has been dropped and will park up the HDD to minimise damage. In a netbook that is unlikely due to the overall cost and size..

I think you made the right choice to test the device in person:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Something you use so often like say a laptop or a mobile you should make sure your comfortable using:xxgrinning--00xx3:

As for Anti virus make sure what ever you use is set up correctly and updated as often as possible :xxgrinning--00xx3: Sure some do this or that better than others etc. But you should be ok unless you live like Les mentions on some of the more minefield like sites ie newsgroups, torrents or...

One of the best ways to check your AV is doing ok is to now and then run other AV's via there online services..

http://www.eset.co.uk/ThreatCenter/OnlineScanner/

http://www.kaspersky.co.uk/virusscanner

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/uk/

in fact i got bored ofgoogling so just google the ones below for whatever is your taste.

All online scanners which are free and can re assure you your own AV is doing what its doing:)

Free Symantec Norton Online Antivirus Scanner
BitDefender Antivirus Scan Online
eTrust Antivirus
PC-Cillin Antivirus
F-Secure Online Antivirus Scan
McAfee Antivirus
Panda ActiveScan
Kaspersky Free Online Antivirus Scan
Nod32 Antivirus
Computer Associate Virus Scanner
Free Windows Live OneCare Scan
Panda AntiVirus

imagine
6th February 2011, 21:45
Me too wouldn't touch a laptop with a barge pole,well ok i have but don't like them at all and the mouse control drives me nuts!
plug your own mouse in
i plug a mouse into the usb , i have no patience for the built in pad on my lap top

imagine
6th February 2011, 22:06
iv had my sony vio about 3 maybe 4 yrs now, solid n heavy, i dropped it still working, but minus 1 damaged usb slot , only got the 1 that works now, as it only had 2 slots,came with vista ,(vista was a big let down used a lot of resorce slowed things down) i upgraded ram and installed 7 very nice no complaints,, security software i dont pay, for years and i highly recomend, avast antivirus, pc tools firewall,
note that all antivirus and firewalls do let some monsters past, such as trojens worms ect , they not perfect, i use emisoft anti malware has to be updated and start manualy , but its a good extra it has been good to me , taken out the odd worm that nothing else seemed to be able to, and any trojens , i recomend this highly a free version, another usful tool is windows live one care online safty scanner, free to use, again very good, always make sure java and other such programs are up to date so they do not become a securtity risk,windows scan will check them for you

JimOttley
6th February 2011, 22:14
More expensive Laptops possibly like the ones you have will have special motion sensors to detect if a laptop has been dropped and will park up the HDD to minimise damage. In a netbook that is unlikely due to the overall cost and size..

The Lenovo and IBM machines were the first laptops I ever had that had the hard disk protection system regards bumps knocks and drops, love it :xxgrinning--00xx3: works really well.

I thought a lot of these Netbooks started out with solid state drives (SSD)? I know they are using regular HDD's these days and the larger SSD's are really expensive, would be one solution though!

Doc Alan
9th February 2011, 16:07
Many thanks to everyone for reading and posting here. Today my Dell notebook was returned by courier, 12 days after it was collected. I was called in advance, it was delivered at 10 am, and Dell have just called to confirm all is well.
They replaced the hard drive, and also the keyboard, free of charge with no explanation as to why both needed replacement, or attempt to suggest it was my fault. A complete cosmetic and functionality inspection was performed (at least the boxes were ticked!).
From now on the netbook will only be used as "back up" to my Sony Vaio. I consider myself lucky the netbook was still within warranty (2 years ending this coming April).
Just for interest, Comet put me under enormous pressure to take out their own cover for the Vaio, 2 years would have cost 150 GBP. I declined, and my friends who know more than me (not difficult) tell me that was the correct decision.
If only replacing defective human body parts were so easy, but how long is our warranty supposed to last ? :yikes:

KeithD
9th February 2011, 18:24
I got a 3 year warranty on my Dell for the price of 1 year :xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
9th February 2011, 23:18
extra warrentys are always expensive , over priced, the sales reps i believe earn good commision on a warrenty sale,more mark up for that than the computer,
i think any item bought under£1000, is not worth paying the high price of extended warrenty, i say no

KeithD
9th February 2011, 23:28
You don't have to buy a warranty at point of sale, you can buy a 3rd party one cheaper later.

somebody
11th February 2011, 21:29
The Lenovo and IBM machines were the first laptops I ever had that had the hard disk protection system regards bumps knocks and drops, love it :xxgrinning--00xx3: works really well.

I thought a lot of these Netbooks started out with solid state drives (SSD)? I know they are using regular HDD's these days and the larger SSD's are really expensive, would be one solution though!

I was gonna mention i have a SSD drive in my Laptop but im not sure Doc Alan wants to put ddown that sort of outlay:D

Boy does the device fly:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Your right the EEE PC was solid state but when MS with XP got in on the game HDD came back in to contention.

somebody
11th February 2011, 21:30
You don't have to buy a warranty at point of sale, you can buy a 3rd party one cheaper later.

Also check if your CC or Debit card/ bank account can give u protection i know mine does extented protection and damage protection