PDA

View Full Version : So which Site do you get the Cheapest Flights on?

KeithD
26th January 2011, 00:10
I generally book direct with the airlines, saves hassle for me as I like the extra options you get with them, however I know you can get them cheaper.

Englishman2010
26th January 2011, 07:09
www.netflights.com
They may not be the cheapest, but you get the security of them being owned by Thomas Cook. That peace of mind is worth an extra £20 to me

KeithD
26th January 2011, 10:18
I always use Netflights for the Car Hire, but not the flights.

tomboo
26th January 2011, 12:08
i always search kayak.co.uk first,

Englishman2010
26th January 2011, 12:26
I always use Netflights for the Car Hire, but not the flights.

:omg: car hire in the Pina's - No thanks:NoNo: No way would I even consider driving there. Buses, taxi's, jeep's and trikes are cheap enough.

I've hired plenty of cars in Europe but don't go to anyone in particular, usually a quick search on the net and look for a reputable company rather than a cheap one

jimeve
26th January 2011, 13:20
I use crystal-travel, had some big bargains last year, £ 360. not this year thou :NoNo:

KeithD
26th January 2011, 13:21
I never said in the Phil ;) .... however having just spent over 2 weeks in Manila it's not that much different from LA .... in fact, less traffic in Manila :omg: ..... but you just have to be more aware of things around you. Wouldn't be a problem for me driving there, but I'd need a 4x4 to boss the other vehicles, and an automatic, otherwise you'd be tap dancing non-stop on the clutch.

South-east boy
29th January 2011, 15:46
I saw some yesterday for £440, I think it was with Cathay Airlines, but it was 2 stops and 33 hours long! :omg: Next cheapest was 16 hours for £560. Think I'd personally rather pay that extra £120 for a 17 hour shorter flight each way!

Englishman2010
29th January 2011, 21:27
A 16 hour journey for £560, well worth the money:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Who was that with KLM?
I've done 16 hours with KLM before, the shortest time I've managed with Emirates is 19h30min

Notavirusalso
29th January 2011, 21:34
I've always use Opodo
http://www.opodo.co.uk/

South-east boy
30th January 2011, 11:23
With latest search (for flight in April for example), best I found was £489 with Royal Brunei for a direct flight-that was through TravelHouse. On Dealchecker was £414 through Riyahd (28 hours), £521 through Kuwait (22 hours), £571 through KLM (17 hours) and £600 Hong Kong (14 1/2 hours).

Ako Si Jamie
30th January 2011, 11:48
I phoned up about 10 firms when I went. The last one, Dial A Flight quoted me the cheapest at £444 with Saudi Airlines with a 3 hour stopover in Riyadh both ways. By far the most professional firm I spoke to as well.

stevewool
30th January 2011, 11:50
i was looking at there prices , saudi airlines , but the reviews was very poor

stevewool
30th January 2011, 11:51
what i may be looking for the next time is a stop over , where i do not know yet, just try and get the cheap flight and a few days somewhere before flying out again , hong kong, singapor or thailand i think that would be good

joebloggs
30th January 2011, 12:22
just bought my stepsons airticket with klm for end of march for 3 wks, was £555 on netfilight but there web site had crashed so i bought it off klms for £568.50p :xxgrinning--00xx3:

i think about 2 hrs stop over each way

Ako Si Jamie
30th January 2011, 12:23
i was looking at there prices , saudi airlines , but the reviews was very poorWhat did they say?

stevewool
30th January 2011, 12:26
not so much the flight to manila but other flights and the cabin crew just growled at everyone , food and so on , its just spending that much money on a flight you dont want to think a few more quide and flying with another airline would be so much better

Ako Si Jamie
30th January 2011, 13:17
I thought the cabin crew on SA especially the Filipina's from Heathrow to Riyadh were pretty good. The food was OK although it wasn't brilliant. My only gripe was a couple of the planes weren't very comfortable and the flight from Riyadh to Heathrow I couldn't watch anything because the screen wasn't working and everyone else's was the same.

stevewool
30th January 2011, 14:44
its just what i read on airlines reviews, like i have said i have only used etihad to go

stevewool
30th January 2011, 17:23
just read flights to manila from london, flying out dec 16th return jan 12th next year is the amazing price £423 with saudi. 30 kilos laugage allowance,stop over 3.5 hours going 3 hours coming back, booking through OPODO , now thats a cheap flight, with all taxes paid

gWaPito
30th January 2011, 18:48
In answer to the question I would say 'netflights.com' is the cheapest place to find a flight to the Phils. I use 'Dial a Flight' they are abta covered and the tickets get emailed as soon as they get payment. No waiting around a day or so like some travel brokers make you do :NoNo:

South-east boy
30th January 2011, 19:25
That's a great price! Found one for £413, but it took a massive 39 hours altogether :omg::icon_lol: With 9 hours to Jeddah, 13 hour 20 minute wait, then 17 hours to Manila!

grahamw48
30th January 2011, 20:15
That's a great price! Found one for £413, but it took a massive 39 hours altogether :omg::icon_lol: With 9 hours to Jeddah, 13 hour 20 minute wait, then 17 hours to Manila!

What's that in...a blinkin hot air balloon ? :Erm:

When I was a kid in the 1950s we flew out to Singapore in a 'Hermes' 75 seater.
- 3 days with 2 overnight stops, including 7 re-fuellings.
Makes me a bit more patient now. :)

Here's one:

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/4673/hermespic.jpg

3 years later came by sea, and that took even longer...3 weeks.

Ho much would that cruise cost you these days though ? :D

Here's the ship. The 'Empire Fowey':

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/8458/empfowey2.jpg

stevewool
30th January 2011, 20:18
how come you have traveled so much graham, did your family travel east too

alanmf1
30th January 2011, 20:46
What's that in...a blinkin hot air balloon ? :Erm:

When I was a kid in the 1950s we flew out to Singapore in a 'Hermes' 75 seater.
- 3 days with 2 overnight stops, including 7 re-fuellings.
Makes me a bit more patient now. :)

Here's one:

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/4673/hermespic.jpg

3 years later came by sea, and that took even longer...3 weeks.

Ho much would that cruise cost you these days though ? :D

Here's the ship. The 'Empire Fowey':

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/8458/empfowey2.jpg

Awesome pics Graham:xxgrinning--00xx3:Ever thought of writing a book!!

grahamw48
30th January 2011, 20:57
Dad was Royal Navy (so they paid for it all).

My mother contracted TB while we were in Malaya... hence no flying back.

Both journeys were truly amazing experiences, at a time when world travel was much less common.

Even Singapore and Malaya (where we lived) were still very much old-style colonial outposts then, with not a skyscraper in sight and Tigers in the jungle.

So much has been swept away and destroyed in the past 50 years. :NoNo:

Below...me as budding trike driver...with sis: :)

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2931/graandsistercatherinein.jpg

Tawi2
30th January 2011, 21:12
My dad and uncle clive were in the far-east during the 60's,I have seen how much certain places have changed in 20 years so they must have changed trememdously since the 50's,oh for the loan of a H.G.Wells type time machine :)

Englishman2010
30th January 2011, 22:47
Bargain of the century, thanks for the tip Steve w:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Just booked direct with Saudi Airlines for 2 weeks at the end of Dec/start of Jan 2012, Total flying time approx 20 hrs each way.

All for £396.67

Englishman2010
30th January 2011, 22:51
Just in case there's a query on the flying times

London, United Kingdom to Manila, Philippines - Thursday 29 December 2011
18h 50m Guest "SuperSaver"
Manila, Philippines to London, United Kingdom - Wednesday 11 January 2012
20h 40m Guest "SuperSaver"

joebloggs
31st January 2011, 09:06
Bargain of the century, thanks for the tip Steve w:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Just booked direct with Saudi Airlines for 2 weeks at the end of Dec/start of Jan 2012, Total flying time approx 20 hrs each way.

All for £396.67

:D no bargain of the century was when i use to pay £380 for air france tickets, 6yrs+ ago thou :bigcry:

ghee101
31st January 2011, 10:34
OMG! will these be available if the trip is from manila roundtrip london :Erm:

i cant find anything even near your prices :bigcry: i dont care if i even got 2 stopovers. help!!!

KeithD
31st January 2011, 10:43
Depends on the dates you want.

ghee101
31st January 2011, 10:57
I use crystal-travel, had some big bargains last year, £ 360. not this year thou :NoNo:

this is easy to use, thanks for the site.

Englishman2010
31st January 2011, 11:02
Ghee, yes the price I booked at was a round trip from Heathrow to NAIA for Dec 29th 2011 to Jan 11th 2012.

I have a confession to make, the price was actually lower, £396.63 :icon_lol:

I booked direct with Saudi Airlines, not with a travel agent

joebloggs
31st January 2011, 12:04
i think buying any ticket in the phils has always been more expensive than the uk :Erm:

i think last year i paid £500+ for a one way ticket from Manila to Manchester for me step son flying singapore airlines

Terpe
31st January 2011, 12:37
Anyone know the best way for me (in UK) to buy a ticket for a friend in Phils?

ghee101
31st January 2011, 13:02
i think buying any ticket in the phils has always been more expensive than the uk :Erm:

i think last year i paid £500+ for a one way ticket from Manila to Manchester for me step son flying singapore airlines

exactly! :NoNo: even buying it from UK but as long as the origin is Phils, they still give the same price result :Erm:

this is what we really plan on doing. now im trying to mix and match flights and it's not easy :NoNo:

Englishman2010
31st January 2011, 13:27

I've never had the need to buy a ticket to the UK yet, but I have looked in the past for research purposes, and found it much simpler to go direct to airline's website. Prices for tickets which don't originate in the Uk are usually in USD or the local currency, so exchange rates can make a difference.
I'm happy using reputable travel agents in the UK, but am less confident and trusting of overseas agents, I rather play it safe and deal directly with the airline if buying a ticket with an origin outside of Britain.
Likewise, if I'm booking connecting flights for myself from Asian hubs to other Asian cities or around the Phil's, I'll only deal with the airlines. They've all got pretty good on line booking systems now.

Terpe
31st January 2011, 14:55
Thanks for the advice Englishman.:xxgrinning--00xx3:
That's just what I wanted to know.

Englishman2010
31st January 2011, 16:10
Thanks for the advice Englishman.:xxgrinning--00xx3:
That's just what I wanted to know.

No problem Terpe, we're all here to help each other:xxgrinning--00xx3: Good luck in finding what you're after.
If you want a long haul flight the choice is quite limited to the major airlines, but if it's a short haul flight, there are lots of regional and low cost operators in Asia. If you go to Skyscanner and put the route in, it should tell you which airlines fly that route. If you get stuck, ask for help:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Jimbojac
2nd February 2011, 19:09
Good post Guys.
What i do is fly always to and from Hong Kong and then use my pre-booked flights with Cebu Pacific to Manila { there are about 5 flights a day from HK to Manila and vice versa.}
Hong Kong is a cheap hub and a very popular destination as opposed to Manila.
Cebu Pacific has a new fleet and is beating PAL in terms of passenger footfall.
Average return flight cost is about £80 the 4-5 times i have done this.
PS Beware of " too good to be true" special offers, most companies offer these and all those offers apply to a very small amount of seats "that 350 quid deal amazingly almost always doubles in minutes!"
Always try and book early too, i mucked about for a week once on trying to get a cheap deal and in the end it cost me another 100 quid as it drew me so much nearer my intended departure date.
Hope this helps.

Terpe
2nd February 2011, 19:41
.......What i do is fly always to and from Hong Kong and then use my pre-booked flights with Cebu Pacific to Manila { there are about 5 flights a day from HK to Manila and vice versa.}........

I've flown with Cebu Pacific loads of times. Not that I want to, sometimes no choice.
It's usually 50/50 good/bad for me. Their customer service is :censored:

Remember the days when Oasis used to operate from Gatwick to Honkers. Geez, had some cracking good flights at crazy low prices. Business class too.
Anyway, when we did that we always used Cebu Pacific on the final leg to Manila.
To be really honest it was a bit of a pain to collect the bags, go through immigration exit HK then go back to check-in etc. Cebu Pacific always screwed us around, just don't know why. My bad luck probably.
Anyway, these days would rather pay the few quid extra and stay with Cathay.

Having said that, might just try another route next time, I'm not that happy with those Cathay sliding seats.

If it works great for you on Cebu Pacific stick with it.

Englishman2010
2nd February 2011, 19:58
Terpe, I've just done UK to HK with KLM had a few days in Honkers then flew to MNL with PAL, it worked out nice for me as I saw a bit of HK & Macau and then the lovely people at PAL upgraded me to business class in a 747 on the MNL leg:xxgrinning--00xx3: I'm doing the same thing again in Aug, I've booked an Emirates flight to Honkers and will sort out a Cebu Pac or PAL flight to MNL when I get round to it, or when they have some decent promo rates. Collecting my bags in Honkers isn't really an issue as I use it as an opportunity to do a bit of sight seeing and have a stop over:)

Terpe
2nd February 2011, 20:53
Englishman, I'm toying with the idea to fly to Davao next time. We have a house there but haven't spent such a lot of time there recently. Would like to stay for while and re-discover the area. I like it there so much.

Englishman2010
2nd February 2011, 20:59
Sounds nice Terpe, I don't know much about flights to Davao:Erm: Does anyone fly there from Honkers, or do you need to change in Manila or Cebu?

Terpe
2nd February 2011, 21:10
Sounds nice Terpe, I don't know much about flights to Davao:Erm: Does anyone fly there from Honkers, or do you need to change in Manila or Cebu?

The only one I know is Singapore Airline.

Englishman2010
2nd February 2011, 21:15
Sing's nice for a stop over but expensive, then again HK isn't cheap either

stevewool
2nd February 2011, 21:18
well waiting for emma to say book the fights steve, its gone up , why o why do we think we are in charge but really we are not ,

Englishman2010
2nd February 2011, 21:28
been in the same position many times in my former life Steve:doh I've learned to buy when I see something that looks good, and explain later:D

raza
11th February 2011, 12:16
To get best air fare http://www. use this site i have already use this site couple of time and got the best price.

raza
14th February 2011, 09:18
i found cheaper prices for lagos from this site http://www.. thanks for asking.