PDA

View Full Version : Where would you live?

Englishman2010
25th January 2011, 21:45
If you decided to relocate from the UK to the Pina's, where would you live and why? (please dont just pick the province or city where your other half is from:D). How would you survive? work, Uk savings, Pensions or investments...etc

I'm still undecided, I haven't seen enough of the Phil's yet to decide. I may know after another 20 or 30 trips there:xxgrinning--00xx3:

raynaputi
25th January 2011, 22:01
near the beach! near the beach! near the beach! hahaha :icon_lol:

imagine
25th January 2011, 22:08
not too near the beach , high enough , just incase of tsunami :Jump:

KeithD
26th January 2011, 00:05
Does Las Vegas count? :Erm:

subseastu
26th January 2011, 07:27
Olongopo city 10 years ago when it wasn't ruined. I assume a time machine is allowed.

mickcant
26th January 2011, 07:45
Bohol for me, and no my ex did not come from there, I liked it there as it seemed safe and is in a lovely setting:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Mick.:)

Englishman2010
26th January 2011, 08:58
Bohol for me, and no my ex did not come from there, I liked it there as it seemed safe and is in a lovely setting:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Good choice Mick:xxgrinning--00xx3: One of my favorite parts of the Pina's so far, and well located for travelling around the region.

sars_notd_virus
26th January 2011, 09:39
I love The Highlands and The Lowlands!!! so its definitely be Tagaytay and my home town Batangas:):xxgrinning--00xx3:

Steve.r
26th January 2011, 11:10
I already made my choice, an hour from the pacific, nestled at the base of the mountains, I can look out over flat prime farmland and watch the sun slowly rise over the mountains in the morning. There are slow myandering rivers running by about ten minutes away, great for fishing. We have a swimming pool resort 100 yards up the road, a hardware store next to it, but far enough out of the town to be quite quiet.
This is not in the same town as my mahal came from, as we want to be reasonably private, but we have great friends there so we have a nice social circle. Life is just getting better each time i go there. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Englishman2010
26th January 2011, 11:35
Steve R, that sounds perfect. I don't know the area, but I'm sure it is ideal:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sars, having just been to Tagaytay and Taal, I have to agree, it really is a beautiful area. I love the winding mountain road and forests on the way down from Tagaytay to the shores of Taal lake. We got a Jeepney from Taal to Batangas and on to Tanauan and drove through some nices villages and towns (you've already seen my FB photo's ;)) . Another advantage is that it's close enough to Metro Manila if needed, and well served by buses and good roads (by Phil standards:icon_lol:)

subseastu
26th January 2011, 12:15
I already made my choice, an hour from the pacific, nestled at the base of the mountains, I can look out over flat prime farmland and watch the sun slowly rise over the mountains in the morning. There are slow myandering rivers running by about ten minutes away, great for fishing. We have a swimming pool resort 100 yards up the road, a hardware store next to it, but far enough out of the town to be quite quiet.
This is not in the same town as my mahal came from, as we want to be reasonably private, but we have great friends there so we have a nice social circle. Life is just getting better each time i go there. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Spill the beans Steve, where is this magical place?

South-east boy
26th January 2011, 12:37
I love The Highlands and The Lowlands!!! so its definitely be Tagaytay and my home town Batangas:):xxgrinning--00xx3:

My ladies family have a place there in Tagaytay and she was there last Monday when we were chatting.

Steve.r
26th January 2011, 13:10
Spill the beans Steve, where is this magical place?

Bongabon, Nueva Ecija

stevie c
26th January 2011, 13:12
has to be palawan for me i spent a week there & absolutely fell in love with it :xxgrinning--00xx3:

jimeve
26th January 2011, 13:14

Hi Mick, Bohol is a big Island, my wife is from there, she is 100 KM from Tagbilaran, too quiet for me. Thou Pangloa is nice. but over priced.:doh

Englishman2010
26th January 2011, 13:50
Hi Mick, Bohol is a big Island, my wife is from there, she is 100 KM from Tagbilaran, too quiet for me. Thou Pangloa is nice. but over priced.:doh

Panglao/Alona Beach is lovely, much nicer than Boracay, I was it's what Boracay should be like if it wasn't full of disco's, posh hotels, hookers and touts. It is a bit pricey though, on par with Boracay, but i imagine that is down to the diving schools attracting large numbers of Koreans with big wallets.

Palawan is lovely too and much cleaner and greener than the rest of the Phil's, although perhaps a bit isolated. Prices in Palawan/PPS City are reasonable too, and roughly half the price of Panglao/Boracay for a hotel, meal, drinks...etc.

Terpe
26th January 2011, 14:46
Good thread Englishman, hope it lasts a good time and gets filled with good info.

I'm a little bit like yourself in that I still did not yet finally settle on any one place.
I'm always changing my view on where to hang my hat.
Currently it's still somewhere close to Davao. I love Mindanao and Davao city has everything we need. My wife's main family is in the area, although not too close.
I've always felt that although we don't want to be too close to family, it's a good idea to be just close enough that someone is always there when you need them. Family will do anything to protect and help. Sometimes important for us foreigners..

Still loads of place to visit yet anyway.
Probably won't decide until been there for a couple of years.

Englishman2010
26th January 2011, 22:42
Still loads of place to visit yet anyway.
Probably won't decide until been there for a couple of years.

That's my view too Terpe. TBH anywhere I settled there would be fine, but as I realistically can't leave the UK for another 17 years, it gives me plenty of time to explore and find the ideal place:)

jimeve
26th January 2011, 22:56
Dumaguete, why because I don't like over populated places like Manila and Cebu.
Dumagete is the fastest growing town in the Fils. Compact, got airport,shipping/pier,lovely boulevard with resto's, bars and very Friendly and polite Filipinos. (City of Gentle People) :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Englishman2010
26th January 2011, 23:02
Dumagete is the fastest growing town in the Fils. Compact, got airport,shipping/pier,lovely boulevard with resto's, bars and very Friendly and polite Filipinos. (City of Gentle People) :xxgrinning--00xx3:

It's on my list of places to visit, I've heard a few good reports about it:xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
26th January 2011, 23:29
[QUOTE=Steve.r;269662]I already made my choice, an hour from the pacific, nestled at the base of the mountains, I can look out over flat prime farmland and watch the sun slowly rise over the mountains in the morning. There are slow myandering rivers running by about ten minutes away, great for fishing. We have a swimming pool resort 100 yards up the road, a hardware store next to it, but far enough out of the town to be quite quiet.

Steve now you done it,,,i cant stand it anymore, im cracking up, im getting my flight tomorrow :omg::laugher:

grahamw48
27th January 2011, 01:32
I've heard good things about Dumaguete too.:Erm:

I'd move to Phils tomorrow if I didn't have my parental responsibilities here.

I wouldn't mind living in Subic. The beach isn't up to much, not a beach person anyway, but having the sea to to look out across is nice, and there are plenty of expats and accompanying facilities, plus easy access to Manila on the new highway.

I did live in Angeles City for 3 years, and ran a business there (NOT a girlie bar :icon_lol:),
and also I lived far out in the province for months on end, but had the ex's family around then.

Also had an apartment in Pasay, Manila before I was married, but just too much pollution in the capital.

Anywhere will do me ! :D

grahamw48
27th January 2011, 01:52
Steve now you done it,,,i cant stand it anymore, im cracking up, im getting my flight tomorrow :omg::laugher:

Nooo....you'll hate it. :D

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/8568/negs6022.jpg

(Both Puerta Galera, Mindoro).

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/8193/philippines2001005.jpg

fred
27th January 2011, 02:57
Panglao/Alona Beach is lovely, much nicer than Boracay, I was it's what Boracay should be like if it wasn't full of disco's, posh hotels, hookers and touts. It is a bit pricey though, on par with Boracay, but i imagine that is down to the diving schools attracting large numbers of Koreans with big wallets.Its only pricey if you want to live like a tourist!!
Loads of reasonably priced restaurants and bars for us locals!
By far, the best beaches are the Bohol beach club area and a bit further round the island over at Dolho..
The cheapest 24 hour stays range from 700.00 (with motor bike) to 5000 P..The most expensive resort here will set a family of 3 back 140,000 PHP per night.

There is one more beach here that I prefer to those mentioned above but it wont be for long if I advertise it!!:icon_lol:
Cheers,
Fred.

malditako
27th January 2011, 08:33
im from bulacan so it's definitely in bulacan,...for me its a rural-urban combined...if u want a life in the farm, or in the subdivison village, to be in the mountains...24 hours transpo, malls, supermarket, hotel, resorts, bars and restaurant, 40 mins drive or less to manila and to pampanga, 2 to 3 hours drive to the beautiful beaches of zambales....the train from manila to angeles is under constraction again so its very accessible going north and south.

imagine
27th January 2011, 08:48

[/IMG]

yes think your right il hate it :doh

febmary
27th January 2011, 09:44
What do you think of Ilocos?

Terpe
27th January 2011, 10:26
Bongabon, Nueva Ecija

Yep, nice area Steve.
We have a small place in Guimba. Looking to buy a rice field there soon.

It's a very easy drive from Manila by expressway.

sars_notd_virus
27th January 2011, 15:55
Sars, having just been to Tagaytay and Taal, I have to agree, it really is a beautiful area. I love the winding mountain road and forests on the way down from Tagaytay to the shores of Taal lake. We got a Jeepney from Taal to Batangas and on to Tanauan and drove through some nices villages and towns (you've already seen my FB photo's ;)) . Another advantage is that it's close enough to Metro Manila if needed, and well served by buses and good roads (by Phil standards:icon_lol:)

yeah tagaytay is beautiful ,the weather is warm during the day and temperature drops in the afternoon and the evening (enough to stop my husband from melting lol)..anyway,hope it was still not too over crowded when we plan to settle there in the next 10-15years :D:xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
27th January 2011, 16:12
well ian , yesterday i was going to sort of ask this same question , but could not get on the site, i have not seen much of the phils yet to say thats the place, emma would like to be close to her family around cavite but i would like trhe beach a little closer and not as busy , i am still hoping to find that place soon and be there in say 8 years time, when we deside to go back to the phils for good all we shall have is our savings a little pension if it still has anything to give plus our house here, either rent it or just sell up, so what we are looking at in say around 8 years time will be about £50000 cash and then rental from my home, or sell it and have more cash,bohal does sound and look very nice :)look at my thread see what you all think

Arthur Little
27th January 2011, 16:43
I love The Highlands ...

:) ... so do I ... except in my case, I'm talking about the Scottish Highlands :Kilt: ... and *Perth, in particular ... although, strictly-speaking, The 'Fair City' (as it's known) - apart from apparently losing its former city status following Local Government Reorganisation in 1975 - is more centrally located ... and is commonly referred to as being [only] the "Gateway to the Highlands".

An odd choice :rolleyes: for someone who is technically a 'Lowlander' (having been born in Glasgow) ... but I've stayed *here - in the same house - for nearly 43 years and quite honestly wouldn't want to live anywhere else now ... especially at my age. :olddude:

:hijacked: thread, Ian ... my sincere aplogies!!! :icon_sorry:

Tawi2
27th January 2011, 18:58
Dumagete is the fastest growing town in the Fils. Compact, got airport,shipping/pier,lovely boulevard with resto's, bars and very Friendly and polite Filipinos. (City of Gentle People)
Excellent place,perdices street is tricycle central nowadays,I remember it 20 years ago,I am there most years.
I dont intend to retire to Pinas,but if I had to it would be south-mindanao somewhere,zambo,cotabato,maybe Davao?

Englishman2010
27th January 2011, 19:54

(Both Puerta Galera, Mindoro).

White Beach, Graham? I was in Or Mdo for a week last Aug, Elaine's family are from Mansalay in the South East of the island. We spent 3 days at White Beach, Puerto Galera and had a great time. Everything looks a bit dated, and like it's seen better days, but it has a charm about it and we'd happily go back again - in fact we may go back for a few days later this year:Erm:
Compared to Boracay and Panglao everything is cheap, the only slight downer is that it seems to be a magnet for transgender bar workers. Every bar along White Beach was packed with Tranny bar girl/boys:Erm: Elaine and I had a good laugh with some of them, but after a while the campness and drama becomes a bit tiresome

edit: not bar boy/girls in the way we associate with Ph, I meant bar servers/waitresses

imagine
27th January 2011, 20:42
Arthur, i love perth i think its beutiful last time i was there for 2 days the second day up early to spend the day at the hermatage awsome stunning, hugged a tree or two, but seriously i had a fantastic day, loved it,

Hermatage, Perth

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh36/imaginne/STEW1-1.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh36/imaginne/PICT0313.jpg

Arthur Little
27th January 2011, 21:58
Arthur, i love perth i think its beutiful last time i was there for 2 days the second day up early to spend the day at the hermatage awsome stunning, hugged a tree or two, but seriously i had a fantastic day, loved it,

Hermatage, Perth

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh36/imaginne/STEW1-1.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh36/imaginne/PICT0313.jpg

Marvellous photographs, Stewart ... thanks so much for sharing! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
27th January 2011, 22:11
your welcome, Arthur :)

Englishman2010
27th January 2011, 22:20
Fantastic photo's Imagine, it looks stunning there, just a shame Scotland's so far north :( my body needs tropical sunshine

imagine
27th January 2011, 22:30
thanks englishman, yes its cold here near the bloo toon, this little north east corner , the colds painful on my bones,
some beutiful beaches rattray and scotstown, if only they had that tropical sun,instead you get sand blasted lol: . i cant wait to feel the heat, i dont mind if i complain its too hot :cwm23: :icon_lol:

Englishman2010
27th January 2011, 22:35
thanks englishman, yes its cold here near the bloo toon, tis little north east corner ,the colds painful on my bones,
i cant wait to feel the heat, i dont mind if i complain its too hot :cwm23: :icon_lol:

I never complain about it being too hot in the tropics, I make the most of it when I'm there. Coming from a cold, grey and damp island in the North East Atlantic sunshine is a rarity:icon_lol:

Tawi2
27th January 2011, 22:42
this little north east corner
When I was a kid we used to get packed off to Caithness for the summer holidays,my cousin still has a croft just west of Thurso,scotland would be great if it only had slightly warmer weather.

Sim11UK
27th January 2011, 23:19
i cant wait to feel the heat, i dont mind if i complain its too hot :cwm23: :icon_lol:

Learn this Stewart...too mainit...pronounced like you read it ma-in-it...means too hot (though it could be bisayan & not tagalog?)

Nice photo's :xxgrinning--00xx3:

jimeve
27th January 2011, 23:59
Excellent place,perdices street is tricycle central nowadays,I remember it 20 years ago,I am there most years.
I dont intend to retire to Pinas,but if I had to it would be south-mindanao somewhere,zambo,cotabato,maybe Davao?

Is it safe, Zambo,cotabato?. Yeah perdices street in midday chokes but the boulevard makes up for that.

grahamw48
28th January 2011, 01:27
Learn this Stewart...too mainit...pronounced like you read it ma-in-it...means too hot (though it could be bisayan & not tagalog?)

It is Tagalog. :)

And of course 'malamig'...cold.

Sim11UK
28th January 2011, 08:21
It is Tagalog. :)

And of course 'malamig'...cold.

Thanks for the confirmation :xxgrinning--00xx3:...I always like to say "It's too mainit innit" when over there. :)

malditako
28th January 2011, 08:26

or u can say.."sobrang init" (sob-rang i-nit) :)

Sim11UK
28th January 2011, 08:30
or u can say.."sobrang init" (sob-rang i-nit) :)

Thanks gparry I'll practice that. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
28th January 2011, 09:39

You mean like as if you are saying it to your Mum?
Hot here Ma ..Innit?

imagine
28th January 2011, 09:55
thanks guys, by the time i get to philipines il be mainit at speaking the language. :cwm23::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sim11UK
28th January 2011, 10:43
You mean like as if you are saying it to your Mum?
Hot here Ma ..Innit?

Yeah! or it ain't half hot mum! :sunshine:

keithAngel
28th January 2011, 10:46
r rainy at the moment though
:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Steve.r
28th January 2011, 11:06
r rainy at the moment though
:xxgrinning--00xx3:

but hot rain is cool :icon_lol: i love it hen it rains :xxgrinning--00xx3:

gWaPito
28th January 2011, 16:24
If you are seeking perfection, you will never find it. All I need is somewhere safe to bring up my family, be it here in Swindon or Bicol. What matters most to me is, who you are with. You could be living in a total hell hole but, if you have your soul mate by your side, it will seem like heaven. Just my thoughts :D

Steve.r
28th January 2011, 17:23
If you are seeking perfection, you will never find it. All I need is somewhere safe to bring up my family, be it here in Swindon or Bicol. What matters most to me is, who you are with. You could be living in a total hell hole but, if you have your soul mate by your side, it will seem like heaven. Just my thoughts :D

Yes, you are so right gWaPito, rich or poor... it all depends on who you have to love and love you. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
28th January 2011, 17:52
i think you have to visit the places many many times before you can say we are home, i hope i have the chance like many have already chose there places , i can dream of them , but rather walk out the back door and think uummmmmmmmmmmmmm yes here is home

Sim11UK
28th January 2011, 18:24
Mindanao for us :xxgrinning--00xx3:
I would like to say Camiguin, but Ladybug is too scared of the volcanoes & so am I to a certain extent, from what I've found out...Though Mt. Hibok Hibok hasn't seriously erupted since 1951.

...So I'm going to do what Englishmen said don't do & pick Cagayan de Oro City, where Ladybug lives.
I like the place & it feels right & I regard it as my 2nd home. It's not too big, a bit polluted, but it has a lot going for it, it's easy to get around.... There are beaches a jeepney ride away, a domestic Airport & an international Airport being built...Camiguin's not far away too.

Ladybug & her 2 sisters who are in America, have just bought a lot & a house is going to be built at some point, for family to stay. Her folks live a 5 hour bus journey away, in Bukidnon Province.
...So all we need to do, is buy our own lot & put a house on it...maybe just out of the city?

We think it's a good place to be based & with domestic flights being reasonably cheap, you can explore other Islands, much as you may do when on holiday & which we have done...So that's where you'll find us. :xxgrinning--00xx3: :Jump:

aidaaida
28th January 2011, 18:35
I agree with you. We have just brought another house just outside Batangas City surrounded by open fields and hills, very peaceful yet only a short ride into town and now much quicker to get to Manila on the tollway.

Tawi2
28th January 2011, 18:41
Yeah mate,Zambo and cotabato are as safe as anywhere I guess,been to a lot riskier places and my lucks always held,I could walk through London tomorrow and be mown down by a bus :icon_lol:
Your right about the boulevard at night,very relaxed atmosphere,great place to sit and take stock of the world.

Terpe
28th January 2011, 18:46
I really enjoy reading all the postings on this thread. What a lot of fantastic places there are.
I know this thread is aimed primarily between UK and Phils, and I know I already shared our current thinking for Phils.
But....... given a completely blank page and the opportunity, both Carina and myself would choose Yokohama in Japan as our number one place to live, without any hesitation. Philippines is our realistic paradise though.
Besides which, given a bit of luck we will be able to spend as much time as we want in Japan, once we are based in Phils. Short flight and a good escape in the hot months.
Mmm. Best of both worlds really.

Englishman2010
28th January 2011, 21:31

...So I'm going to do what Englishmen said don't do & pick Cagayan de Oro City, where Ladybug lives.
I like the place & it feels right & I regard it as my 2nd home. It's not too big, a bit polluted, but it has a lot going for it, it's easy to get around.... There are beaches a jeepney ride away, a domestic Airport & an international Airport being built...Camiguin's not far away too.

Ladybug & her 2 sisters who are in America, have just bought a lot & a house is going to be built at some point, for family to stay. Her folks live a 5 hour bus journey away, in Bukidnon Province.
...So all we need to do, is buy our own lot & put a house on it...maybe just out of the city?

We think it's a good place to be based & with domestic flights being reasonably cheap, you can explore other Islands, much as you may do when on holiday & which we have done...So that's where you'll find us. :xxgrinning--00xx3: :Jump:

:xxgrinning--00xx3: Sounds perfect Sim.
I haven't ventured down to Mindanao yet, but might give CDO or Davao a try on a future trip.

Englishman2010
28th January 2011, 21:40
I really enjoy reading all the postings on this thread. What a lot of fantastic places there are.
I know this thread is aimed primarily between UK and Phils, and I know I already shared our current thinking for Phils.
But....... given a completely blank page and the opportunity, both Carina and myself would choose Yokohama in Japan as our number one place to live, without any hesitation. Philippines is our realistic paradise though.
Besides which, given a bit of luck we will be able to spend as much time as we want in Japan, once we are based in Phils. Short flight and a good escape in the hot months.
Mmm. Best of both worlds really.

I'm enjoying reading about all of the wonderful places too Terpe, and Japan is another country I'd love to explore, and of course the Phil's is a perfect base for exploring the region.

I'm not in a position to move to the Phil's for a long time, I'm 43 and my youngest child is 3. Realistically I can't leave the UK until I'm 60 due to my family commitments here, and by then I might not want to leave the UK:Erm:

It's always been my dream to live near a tropical beach for 6 months of the year when I retire and come back to the UK for the spring and summer. Hopefully health and finances will allow that to happen, but it's still a long way off. In the meantime, I'll just have to go as often as I can and visit all the wonderful places everyone has mentioned.....life isn't so bad really:D

malditako
29th January 2011, 08:01
Mindanao for us :xxgrinning--00xx3:
I would like to say Camiguin, but Ladybug is too scared of the volcanoes & so am I to a certain extent, from what I've found out...Though Mt. Hibok Hibok hasn't seriously erupted since 1951.

been there in camiguin and i love the islands total package....

Sim11UK
29th January 2011, 09:05
been there in camiguin and i love the islands total package....

Yes it's a lovely Island :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://filipinaroses.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2407

Here's me on White Island, a sand bank reached by banka boat, with Camiguin in the background...WHOOPPEEE!!! :icon_lol:

Sim11UK
29th January 2011, 09:16
:xxgrinning--00xx3: Sounds perfect Sim.
I haven't ventured down to Mindanao yet, but might give CDO or Davao a try on a future trip.

CDO itself isn't exactly picture postcard, though I love it & I feel comfortable there. Lots of places nearby to discover.
As for Davao, I've not been there myself yet, but hope to soon, as Ladybug has relatives there. :)

Englishman2010
29th January 2011, 10:11
Yes it's a lovely Island :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://filipinaroses.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2407

Here's me on White Island, a sand bank reached by banka boat, with Camiguin in the background...WHOOPPEEE!!! :icon_lol:

Looks just like Skegness in January:NoNo:

Sim11UK
29th January 2011, 10:55
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: Haha! yes....There is a row of amusement arcades, just to the left, out of the picture. :doh

Tawi2
29th January 2011, 11:46
I have stood on that exact same spit SIM,breathtaking place :)

grahamw48
29th January 2011, 12:00
That's got to be a much younger man though. :Erm:

Sim11UK
29th January 2011, 12:09
I have stood on that exact same spit SIM,breathtaking place :)

I know you're a fellow lover of Camiguin Tawi :xxgrinning--00xx3:...Definately a must Island to visit. When you turn around & look back at the Island from where I was standing, it does look just fantastic. :Hellooo:

Sim11UK
29th January 2011, 12:13
That's got to be a much younger man though. :Erm:

October 2008...my 2nd trip to the Philippines. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
29th January 2011, 17:41
I really must go and buy some hair. :cwm3:

stevewool
29th January 2011, 17:51
a hat is cheaper i would think:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

gWaPito
30th January 2011, 03:01
I dont want to put a damper on this thread but, after reading Fred's thread on British detained, its a reminder on what real life is really like there in The Phil. If you intend running a business you are leaving yourself wide open to be 'touched up' by the very people who are there to protect you, the same people (the police) who we take for granted here in the UK. Even my wife's family business was affected with the ways of the police. Imagine what it would be like for someone from the UK. Heaven is much much closer than you think it is. If only life was a beach, its not. Its a dream. Why do you think every man and his dog wants to leave the place. Just my opinion.

Englishman2010
30th January 2011, 09:07
Very good points Gwap:xxgrinning--00xx3: Which is why my original question asked how you would fund yourself - work or savings/pension?

Personally, I have no desire to work/own a business in the Phil's, for the reasons you've mentioned above. I'm tired of many things about the UK, but it's still the best place for me to make sufficient money to support my family in the way I want, and to allow me to save sufficient for my retirement.

Even after I retire (age 60:Erm:) I won't leave the UK full time, I'm too close to my kids and wouldn't want to be too far from them, even after they've flown the nest. 6 months here and 6 months there would suit me. The only way I'm going to fund that dream is by working/saving hard in the UK for another 17 years.

stevewool
30th January 2011, 12:51
to right there Ian , i too dont have any intention of working , starting a business over there , all i am doing like you is working hard paying bills here and trying to work out how much i need to live and servive out there , that is why i posted a thread about living close or with family,

gWaPito
30th January 2011, 15:48
For us, we will rely on our house rental and various pensions. For sure we would like to go back much earlier than when I retire at 65, we will do all we can to do it but, unless we win the lotto jackpot, I cant see it happening any sooner. We are not sad about it, far from it, at least we are lucky enough to have options. Like you Englishman, we wont burn our bridges with the UK. We have children coming so, there needs will be considered. My sister left for Oz with her husband 6 years ago. They have regretted it every since, they are stuck there now.

purple
30th January 2011, 20:17

I like Bohol as well... laid back, near the beach, friendly people.... I'm from Cebu but I think I will love it there.... it is warm too... Unlike the cold weather here.

alanmf1
30th January 2011, 20:25
I like Bohol as well... laid back, near the beach, friendly people.... I'm from Cebu but I think I will love it there.... it is warm too... Unlike the cold weather here.

me tooooooo......:xxgrinning--00xx3: but im a little biased.
Bohol is awesome and very central for moving around be it by plane or ferry.
So far the lack of commercialism is the key even if Panglao is becoming the prime spot for foreigners.
I will be interested to see the movement in this situation over the next few years.

Like most i would be over the moon if i could spend 6 - 8 months in the Uk and 4 - 6 in Phils:Jump:
Save save save......:xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
30th January 2011, 20:46
if like al of us it seems wanting to be here and there too, surely there should be a way of buying jointly a large enough place to enjoy with many, sharing the cost of the place and sharing the security too

alanmf1
30th January 2011, 20:50
if like al of us it seems wanting to be here and there too, surely there should be a way of buying jointly a large enough place to enjoy with many, sharing the cost of the place and sharing the security too

What u saying Steve.......Filipino timeshare?????:yikes:
hmmmmm.

But im guessing like your other thread most would also like to be near their Mahal's family circle....

stevewool
30th January 2011, 20:54
well i have timeshare everywhere else it seems , its just doing what you think is best at the time, and who realy knows what is best till you are doing it, i just dont want to put it all down to Emma finding a place over there, yes she will be the one to pay and get the best price but realy it will be down to her where she feels at home too,wow just think of it, she does rely on me over here but soon it will be the other way round

Terpe
30th January 2011, 21:06
As for me, I will be living solely on pension payments.
Carina, however may have different ideas such as renting out properties and bedspace.
That's up to her. I just want to keep low profile, blend in and enjoooooooooy.:D

Englishman2010
30th January 2011, 23:08
As for me, I will be living solely on pension payments.
Carina, however may have different ideas such as renting out properties and bedspace.
That's up to her. I just want to keep low profile, blend in and enjoooooooooy.:D

I'll be in the same position, relying on my Pension annuity, tax free lump sum from my pension, plus any other savings or equity I accumulate until then. Based on my own projections of my retirement funds allowing for conservative growth, and allowing for average inflation in Filipino living costs I'll be in a relatively comfortable position then.

However, factors completely out of my control are investment growth rates over the next 17 years, and Filipino inflation rates. One thing that does concern me is that as Filipino's become more affluent, prices will rise there faster than they will here. Currently the Philippines is much cheaper than the surrounding area, I fear it may have caught up by the time I am ready to retire:Erm:

Edit: another factor is exchange rates. If the Filipino economy performs well over the next 15 - 20 years, it's currency will strengthen, and instead of getting 66-70 pesos to the pound we might only be getting 40. I'm sure that will severly affect all of our plans

Manila_Paul
31st January 2011, 01:46
Edit: another factor is exchange rates. If the Filipino economy performs well over the next 15 - 20 years, it's currency will strengthen, and instead of getting 66-70 pesos to the pound we might only be getting 40. I'm sure that will severly affect all of our plans

I will probably be one of the few expats cheering this on in the future. I've got a couple of places here and bought in at 85 to 1. I still think there is a bit of a bubble developing with property here though.

Tawi2
31st January 2011, 17:27
instead of getting 66-70 pesos to the pound we might only be getting 40I was getting 38 pesos for the pound when I first went :icon_lol:

Terpe
31st January 2011, 18:47
I'll be in the same position, relying on my Pension annuity, tax free lump sum from my pension, plus any other savings or equity I accumulate until then. Based on my own projections of my retirement funds allowing for conservative growth, and allowing for average inflation in Filipino living costs I'll be in a relatively comfortable position then.

However, factors completely out of my control are investment growth rates over the next 17 years, and Filipino inflation rates. One thing that does concern me is that as Filipino's become more affluent, prices will rise there faster than they will here. Currently the Philippines is much cheaper than the surrounding area, I fear it may have caught up by the time I am ready to retire:Erm:

I'm at the other end of the scale, so to speak. Already in receipt of my private pensions
with my state pension to come in 5 years. So... no way to increase my now fixed income pensions. (well apart from the inflation increases ...... like that!!)

Englishman, do your research and find as risk-free as possible way to optimise any pension type income. You still have time.
You can never have enough pension.

Terpe
31st January 2011, 18:55
I was getting 38 pesos for the pound when I first went :icon_lol:

You'll probably find that the purchasing power then, of pound v pesos was about the same as it is now.

For example one pound in 1980 is worth today about £5.46 (per capita GDP)

It's a funny old world, when you think about the price of petrol now and then it's comparable, even compared to average income.

Englishman2010
31st January 2011, 21:10
I'm at the other end of the scale, so to speak. Already in receipt of my private pensions
with my state pension to come in 5 years. So... no way to increase my now fixed income pensions. (well apart from the inflation increases ...... like that!!)

Englishman, do your research and find as risk-free as possible way to optimise any pension type income. You still have time.
You can never have enough pension.

I hear what you are saying Terpe, but risk free usually means no growth in real terms after the effects of inflation are taken into account. I still have my pension pot invested mainly in equities, about 50% in the UK and the rest spread around various funds in USA/Europe and the Far East, only a small amount is in Gilt Edged securities or cash funds, but as my retirement date draws nearer I'll gradually switch it out of equities into gilts.

grahamw48
1st February 2011, 01:57
Going back over many years, a gallon of petrol here has always been the same price as a packet of cigs.

Property IS more expensive than it was back in 1980 though...relative to average earnings, I think you'll find.

fred
1st February 2011, 02:47
I was getting 38 pesos for the pound when I first went :icon_lol:

I was only getting 12.00 you lucky git!

stevewool
1st February 2011, 09:04
you see ups and down , when many of you was going there so many years ago and at that rate , look at it now around the 70 mark, i would be happy for it to stay like this for a long time

Travellor
2nd February 2011, 23:06
I think there are so many beautiful places in the phils.

Each one of my favourites is for a different reason to the other.

Every visit takes me to new places and I never tire to travel around.

When the family or friends ask me where I have been it leaves them amazed.

malditako
3rd February 2011, 09:09
we would be very glad if the pounds rate would be the same rate when it was in 2004 2005 around 95 to 105 pesos....

Travellor
13th March 2011, 19:36
Trying to narrow down 1 place to live in the phils is very hard.

On each visit I find a stunning new location.

Think that the more you explore the harder the choice becomes.

The GF loves travelling around and would be happy to settle anywhere.

I was watching Micheal Palin last night, he was in the phils and showed 4 or so places approx 10 yrs ago and it looks like very little has changed to date.

Englishman2010
13th March 2011, 21:28
Trying to narrow down 1 place to live in the phils is very hard.

On each visit I find a stunning new location.

Think that the more you explore the harder the choice becomes.

The GF loves travelling around and would be happy to settle anywhere.

I was watching Micheal Palin last night, he was in the phils and showed 4 or so places approx 10 yrs ago and it looks like very little has changed to date.

I have the same problem, every time I go I see another new place I love. It's another 17 years or so until I retire, so I'll just keep on going to different places until I retire, and the decide.

I'd forgotten about the Micheal Palin - Pacific Rim series, I'll have to You Tube it. Which places in the Phil's did he visit?

scott&ligaya
13th March 2011, 23:53
Well unless the ruin it with over development we will be keeping our place just to the north of Puerto Princesa in Palawan. Absolutely love it there, mainly European retirees, semi retirees etc, very few loud Americans and not too many Koreans or Japanese yet. Just hope the new governor does not let in the casino, country club etc developers, will ruin the place.

Jimbojac
14th March 2011, 00:50
Dipolog { city of orchids } in Mindanao is worth a look for any of you folk considering......... Got a nice blend of Western mod cons as well as retaining its traditional Phils friendly approach and Mindano is so cheap to live, compapared to say Luzon.
Quite a few ex- pats around, mainly a mix of Yanks, a few Brits and Euros, a lovely boulevard to stroll and chill out on, a mountain backdrop and an airport minutes out of town which can take you to Manila in under an hour, i always enjoy it there.:Jump:
Looking at the East Coast of Midanao too, some lovely places there, totally unspoilt. Many people even Filipinos from the North regard Mindanao as dangerous but compared to walking around Manila i know where i would pick every time!
The Phils are such a delight time after time, according to personal taste of course, the dream place could be around the corner..........lets raise a glass to the search!:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Within the next year i will be wanting to sample the delights of Eastern Samar in the Visayas, that really deserves a personal visit from what i have seen on the internet etc.

worthingmale
14th March 2011, 08:48
Davao for me :)

Jamesey
14th March 2011, 22:27
Before I met my wife, I would have said Cebu. The city has good transport links, lots of facilities, an expat community and is close to plenty of nice places in the Visayas. Also, the it's big, but not a sprawling metropolis like Manila.

But my wife's family are in North Luzon and Manila, so we'd probably end up in one of those places.

jimeve
16th March 2011, 15:44
But my wife's family are in North Luzon and Manila, so we'd probably end up in one of those places.

My wife's from Bohol, but I am going to live on Negros, much nicer and cheaper. Plus put some water between me and the in-laws :icon_lol:

gWaPito
16th March 2011, 17:12
With unlimited funds, here in the UK without a doubt, health care, schooling etc etc the list goes on. I would be a liar if I said otherwise.

I haven't the funds so it will be The Philippines, we will be economic migrants, that's the sad fact of it, unless a lottery jackpot arrives :D

steve monty
21st March 2011, 20:36
I asked my Wife this, where would you like to live? camiguin, boracay or in the province? she replied that she loved those places but she couldn't live there as there is no Jolibee!! :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :D :D

Englishman2010
21st March 2011, 21:21
I asked my Wife this, where would you like to live? camiguin, boracay or in the province? she replied that she loved those places but she couldn't live there as there is no Jolibee!! :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :D :D

:icon_lol: A good reason to go there if you ask me:D

keeperlit
23rd March 2011, 08:58
we have a house in antipolo city ,,but we also bought a plot of ground in the agv antel grand village in cavite with its man made beach check out its web site ,,,,but i must say i love the lagoon area next to white beach puerto galera,,the beach is white the sea is blue and warm,,the beer is cheap and the sun is hot,,and only 3/4 hour boat ride to batangas,,,i can see everyone is saying your getting excited john ,,,well i guess your all right we are off on our holidays in 6 weeks time

Englishman2010
23rd March 2011, 09:52
I can see the attraction of Galera, it doesn't have the glamor or high prices of Panglao or Boracay, but it has a shabby chic feel about it. I had a better time in Galera than I had in Boracay:xxgrinning--00xx3:

scott&ligaya
25th March 2011, 09:34
love this beach st Sabang near theUnderground River on Palawanhttp://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i379/matusalem76/mixpictures406.jpg

grahamw48
25th March 2011, 11:14
I like Puerto Galera too. :)

grahamw48
25th March 2011, 11:20
My kids at Baloy Beach, Subic Bay . :)

The sand there is a bit dark because it's volcanic.

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/7797/negs6004.jpg

Meadows
25th March 2011, 15:54
samal island in Davao City is great too :xxgrinning--00xx3::)

uthidian
29th March 2011, 23:01
Steve R, that sounds perfect. I don't know the area, but I'm sure it is ideal:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yes agree totally. I went to Tagatay too. Although I passed on the donkey ride up to the Tall volcano... the boat ride out there was fantastic. But I found the air fresher there less opressively humid, at least for me. My gf liked it too. She had never been on open water before, and suddenly to find herself in a boat at speed across the Taal lake, her smile made my trip:) I guess that magic made me fall in love with Tagatay...

RickyR
31st March 2011, 02:48
There are some absolutely beautiful places to live in the Philippines. I love Tagaytay and also down south to Camaguin is great.
I live in Cebu, and its just about bearable. I basically have to live within an hour of Manila or Cebu Airport, so don't get much choice. Rented the place in Marikina for a while, and was there on and off, and now living full time in Mandaue, Cebu. Biggest problem for us is with kids. Essentially have a choice of the British School Manila, where you'd have to live in Makati to have any chance of getting there within an hour of leaving home, or the Cebu International School, which is about 15 mins drive from our current place.
If i'm honest, the Philippines really isn't the place for us with the family, and with me wanting all the modern stuff, whilst living out of town. Once my son is a year old, and my missus can survive without nannies and housekeepers, we'll be heading back to the UK. I actually miss the UK a lot, as long as i'm not one of the poor sods spending 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening of my life commuting to work in the pouring rain feeling sorry for myself.

If you're retired, I think living in the Philippine can be a great option. If you can afford it, the best is to have a house in both the Philippines and the UK, and spend the winters over there.

With a family, living in the Philippines is pretty tough.

Englishman2010
31st March 2011, 07:03
At least you've tried it and can speak from personal experience Ricky:xxgrinning--00xx3:

TBH you've summed up my thoughts, and I've got no plans to live in the Phil's until I retire. We can all complain about the Uk and the weather, but it's still home, it's modern, clean, safe and despite the recent economic problems we are still a lot better off than most. I love the UK and could never leave permanently, plus, most importantly, my kids are here and they always come first.
When I retire, 6 months in the Uk and 6 months in the Phils each year is my plan

uthidian
31st March 2011, 15:53
At least you've tried it and can speak from personal experience Ricky:xxgrinning--00xx3:

TBH you've summed up my thoughts, and I've got no plans to live in the Phil's until I retire. We can all complain about the Uk and the weather, but it's still home, it's modern, clean, safe and despite the recent economic problems we are still a lot better off than most. I love the UK and could never leave permanently, plus, most importantly, my kids are here and they always come first.
When I retire, 6 months in the Uk and 6 months in the Phils each year is my plan

yes - My gf has a young daughter and my kids are all grown...so I kinda thought exactly the same as you. When I retire, summer in the UK (fantastic) and extended Christmas and winter in Phil. What could be better? Hope my pension will be upto it!

Englishman2010
31st March 2011, 16:31
yes - My gf has a young daughter and my kids are all grown...so I kinda thought exactly the same as you. When I retire, summer in the UK (fantastic) and extended Christmas and winter in Phil. What could be better? Hope my pension will be upto it!

I hope mine will be too. Well I've got another 17 years to save and for my equity based investments to recover, nothing more I can do now except plan and dream.

grahamw48
31st March 2011, 21:45
I'm just trying to live cheap and save up.

Internet access can be a problem sometimes though. :Erm:

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/3861/20050612000631jz8.jpg

branno
31st March 2011, 21:54
yeahh el nido is a wonderful place in north palawan... :)

Englishman2010
31st March 2011, 21:55
That's a bit luxurious Graham, what's wrong with a cardboard box or white plastic chair:icon_lol:

grahamw48
31st March 2011, 23:39
That's a bit luxurious Graham, what's wrong with a cardboard box or white plastic chair:icon_lol:

...Just needed to erm lie down.

I did make it home eventually. :)

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/3573/custom1244166654923newy.jpg

bornatbirth
31st March 2011, 23:42
i see you still have the white socks on :icon_lol:

grahamw48
31st March 2011, 23:57
I've only got the one pair !

I'm divorced ! :cwm3:

Terpe
1st April 2011, 10:58
I've only got the one pair !

I'm divorced ! :cwm3:

:laugher::laugher::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Englishman2010
1st April 2011, 22:00
...Just needed to erm lie down.

I did make it home eventually. :)

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/3573/custom1244166654923newy.jpg

That's more like it Graham:xxgrinning--00xx3:

If you get yourself back over to the Phil's and you're stuck for a place to stay, you could try the Badjao's Tent city under the green foot bridge at Baclaran. Some of their places would seem palacial after your cardboard box

grahamw48
2nd April 2011, 00:01
Know exactly where you mean, but I got moved on last time. :cwm3:

simpleHeart
6th April 2011, 08:04
How about this place?:Erm:
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/5184/355148431l.jpg

Tawi2
6th April 2011, 08:07
How about this place?
Looks nice SH,where is it?:Erm:

simpleHeart
6th April 2011, 08:12
Looks nice SH,where is it?:Erm:

At South of Cebu...Kawasan River at Matutinao Badian...actually it is my Mama's birthplace:D:xxgrinning--00xx3:

simpleHeart
6th April 2011, 08:23
And after 30 minutes walking you will reach this beautiful falls:)
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/6775/1900931833l.jpg (http://img850.imageshack.us/i/1900931833l.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Tawi2
6th April 2011, 08:26
Is that boy levitating:omg::cwm24::icon_sorry:

grahamw48
6th April 2011, 09:39
Wow ! That's like something from a movie.

I need to return to the Phils ASAP ! :)

simpleHeart
6th April 2011, 09:43
Wow ! That's like something from a movie.

I need to return to the Phils ASAP ! :)

Been to Cebu???:Erm:

grahamw48
6th April 2011, 09:45
Hi.

I've only been to Cebu City, which I enjoyed very much. :)

Terpe
6th April 2011, 09:49
simpleHeart, Thanks for posting your photo's :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I really felt happy to see them. Wish I was there :)
Especially under those falls :icon_lol:

simpleHeart
6th April 2011, 09:49
:xxgrinning--00xx3: Well I hope you could travel all around Cebu from north to south..you will really see it is worth...:):xxgrinning--00xx3:

jimeve
6th April 2011, 16:50
Well worth a visit, is that Kawasan Falls. love natural/ nature. makes the visaya stand out in the Phils. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

jimeve
6th April 2011, 16:51
Is that boy levitating:omg::cwm24::icon_sorry:

naw, just enjoying himself :icon_lol:

simpleHeart
7th April 2011, 01:31
Well worth a visit, is that Kawasan Falls. love natural/ nature. makes the visaya stand out in the Phils. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yes it is the Kawasan Falls at Cebu...hope someday you and your family can take a visit

simpleHeart
7th April 2011, 01:33
simpleHeart, Thanks for posting your photo's :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I really felt happy to see them. Wish I was there :)
Especially under those falls :icon_lol:

Your welcome Terpe...I'm happy to share it here!!!hope that you could pay a visit someday here..:)

jimeve
7th April 2011, 14:18
Yes it is the Kawasan Falls at Cebu...hope someday you and your family can take a visit

Thanks for posting lovely photos and sharing. I intend to retire to Dumaguete in a few years. already got my house there, only a short boat ride to Santander from Dumagete, then a bus ride to the falls.

simpleHeart
8th April 2011, 02:39
Thanks for posting lovely photos and sharing. I intend to retire to Dumaguete in a few years. already got my house there, only a short boat ride to Santander from Dumagete, then a bus ride to the falls.

Your welcome Jimeve, yes certainly the Dumaguete is just a across Cebu where it is just accesible..Dumaguete is a great place indeed..:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Englishman2010
8th April 2011, 06:03
Great photo simpleHeart:xxgrinning--00xx3: I'll have to visit there soon:)

Tawi2
8th April 2011, 14:09
only a short boat ride to Santander from Dumagete
Done the cebu-dumaguete road-trip lots of times,never once thought to stop off and visit the falls:Erm:Later this year perhaps:xxgrinning--00xx3:

simpleHeart
8th April 2011, 14:26
Done the cebu-dumaguete road-trip lots of times,never once thought to stop off and visit the falls:Erm:Later this year perhaps:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Looking forward to see there Tawi2..:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
8th April 2011, 14:44
Looking forward to see there Tawi2
This contract finishes late october,its my intention to spend a couple of months at the end of the year in Pinas,nov/dec,I will be there then:)

jimeve
8th April 2011, 15:34

Tawi2, did you go with the ceres bus... cebu city to Dumaguete. must try that trip... I might be there Dec/Jan.

Tawi2
8th April 2011, 16:52
Tawi2, did you go with the ceres bus... cebu city to Dumaguete.
Yes mate,dont it on the bus several times and on a motorbike a few times,if your there when I am there the drinks are on me at "Happy Freds":)

jimeve
8th April 2011, 17:07
Yes mate,dont it on the bus several times and on a motorbike a few times,if your there when I am there the drinks are on me at "Happy Freds":)

Cheers mate, Happy Freds still there, but I think the Boss terry has gone, so I heard.

aposhark
9th April 2011, 09:31
I think that we would have to live within a reasonable distance from my wife's family, so North Cebu Island when we decide to go one day :)

scott&ligaya
9th April 2011, 11:49
Personally I am glad we chose Palawan over La Union as we now bring family members over when it suits us LOL. We are considering getting a place in Baguio later for some cooler breaks and only 1 hour for her mum and other family to visit

Tawi2
9th April 2011, 18:35
I think the Boss terry has gone
Did he also have investments in Cebu?His place was relaxed,not like the Why Not:)

bruce
26th April 2011, 11:09
Just spent 7months in Tagaytay with my wife we rented a house there, we where married there also on the 28th December 2010 ..its a lovely place but i would never live there (Tagaytay) ..why ..because its just to darn cold!!! the weather is more like it is here in England although of course you do still get ur hot sunny days but not many ...2009 we spent several months at white beach in Puerto Galera and loved it so maybe around that area or somewhere far out in the province we would choose. With regards to work forget it, there is no work for a foreigner there, the only way to survive is from savings or running ur own business ..The Philippines is the best place in the world to be if you have money, if you do not it is the worst place in the world to be imo.

grahamw48
26th April 2011, 11:45
I liked White beach too. :)

I lived quite well running my own business in the Phils for 3 years, and of course no foreigner can legally work in the Phils without a work permit.

How do you make a million there ?

Take a million and a half with you. :icon_lol:

scott&ligaya
26th April 2011, 19:13
or as another wise old hand said to me if you want to make a small fortune bring a big one :icon_lol::icon_lol:

madmitch537
1st May 2011, 18:07
hi what experience do you have of olongapo thats where my girl comes from we have a house there recently purchased so far i like it there but im not ready to commit completely yet
ive considered this a starting point but would like to at least buy a piece of land near the sea may in or near san antonio about an hrs drive from olongapo city
olongapo house or land prices are set to rise over the next yr or more due to a huge shopping mall being built there i did witness the foundations and various concrete pillars being erected there last week
any knowledge welcomed regards mark

callippo
10th June 2011, 15:02
are you having a laugh? Central Dumaguete has got to be most crowded place in the Visayas in the daytime. Traffic is terrible.

agree outside is brilliant, a small town like Valencia would be lovely, but you couldn't pay me to live in Dumaguete town.

Steve.r
10th June 2011, 15:44
are you having a laugh? Central Dumaguete has got to be most crowded place in the Visayas in the daytime. Traffic is terrible.

agree outside is brilliant, a small town like Valencia would be lovely, but you couldn't pay me to live in Dumaguete town.
No one is forcing you .... and that is just your opinion :doh:doh:doh:doh

Tawi2
10th June 2011, 16:07
Theres only really perdices and the boulevard packed with tricycles :icon_lol: unless its changed massively since I was there last november or december(cant remember when I left dumaguete)When I first visited the very early 1990's I remember being offered a house for £2000 just off the Boulevard near Jo's Chicken,it was a tranquil place back then.Could be worse,it could be a hellishly boring place like Bacolod :icon_lol:

callippo
10th June 2011, 16:20
first time I went to Dumaguete was 10 years ago and even in that time it's become a lot more congested. It's not a large city like Bacolod. It's only a quarter of the size and yet it is still the main hub of southern Negros.The small town's infrastructure just can't cope. It eases off somewhat at night time, but in the daytime so many people come in to work downtown that it just clogs up to a ridiculous level. Dumaguete is pretty much like every other city in the Philippines really, where there's this endless and probably ultimately fruitless struggle to upgrade the infrastructure fast enough to keep up with rapidly rising population and the flight from country to city - only more so.

kate_th
10th June 2011, 16:25
Zebu Zoo.. i mean C.E.B.U.......:Jump::Jump::Jump::Jump::Jump::Jump::Jump::Jump::Jump::olddude::olddude::olddude::olddude::olddude:

wrigglybum
15th June 2011, 09:37
I've only got two place in my mind.... SIARGAO OR PALAWAN.....

siargao 'coz its a nice place, and it's my mum's hometown :)

But i really want to live in Palawan :rolleyes:

i would like to have my own little resort :icon_lol: Beach would be nice... then i'll have a little resto there :) Free english breakfast for the first morning!!! :xxgrinning--00xx3: and i'll sell doner kebab / fish& chips at night..

:rolleyes: think that be enough for me/hubby to survive there :rolleyes:

(lol nice dream thou')

Dont know 'bout my lil daughter thou' she hate the hot weather... love the beach but dont want to get in the water :laugher::laugher:

joebloggs
15th June 2011, 10:57
Palawan - Puerto Princesa is where my misses family live now :xxgrinning--00xx3:

hopefully i'll be taking little joe this year or early next year. take him to the croc farm :yikes::icon_lol:

wrigglybum
15th June 2011, 11:53
:yikes: croc farm :yikes:

any idea how much to buy a plot of land there :D be nice to know my self:D

joebloggs
15th June 2011, 13:11
:yikes: i got married at this hotel :rolleyes:

whose crocs kept looking at me :cwm24:, maybe they thought it was lunch time :action-smiley-081:

http://www.asturiashotel.ph/destinations.php

scott&ligaya
15th June 2011, 13:37
hi wrigglybum, land prices are rising around Puerto especially north as we now have a robinsons mall being built about 5km north of the city. If you go north by say another 25km on the highway prices are getter better and of course depends on the plot shape, amount of flat area, forsest or fruit trees, water supply etc. We bought our place in 2006 when land say in our village of San manuel was around 700 per sqm now it is around double that or more for good plot. We have just under 3000sq ft and have a seven bedtroom spanish style villa on it with very large garden, mango trees some buko tree and a decent well. We were lucky to buy it through land bank as a forclosed property about 90% complete for just under 3 million but spend another millon on wall/railings/ air cons/ paintwork and fittings, still a bargain at that time as at 90+ peso to the £. We have had offers of around 11 million but we want to keep it so are now looking for a long term renter. Go to Islandproperties.com and select Palawan for a rough idea but be careful some properties say Puerto but are up to 40km away from the city. If you fall in love with any just PM me and I can try to give some opinion/view on the location etc

stevewool
15th June 2011, 20:29
[QUOTE=wrigglybum;296189]I've only got two place in my mind.... SIARGAO OR PALAWAN.....

But i really want to leave in Palawan :rolleyes:

i would like to have my own little resort :icon_lol: Beach would be nice... then i'll have a little resto there :) Free english breakfast for the first morning!!! :xxgrinning--00xx3: and i'll sell doner kebab / fish& chips at night..

(lol nice dream thou')
we all should keep our dreams open, mine are and we are nearly there too:)

wrigglybum
15th June 2011, 20:32
hi wrigglybum, land prices are rising around Puerto especially north as we now have a robinsons mall being built about 5km north of the city. If you go north by say another 25km on the highway prices are getter better and of course depends on the plot shape, amount of flat area, forsest or fruit trees, water supply etc. We bought our place in 2006 when land say in our village of San manuel was around 700 per sqm now it is around double that or more for good plot. We have just under 3000sq ft and have a seven bedtroom spanish style villa on it with very large garden, mango trees some buko tree and a decent well. We were lucky to buy it through land bank as a forclosed property about 90% complete for just under 3 million but spend another millon on wall/railings/ air cons/ paintwork and fittings, still a bargain at that time as at 90+ peso to the £. We have had offers of around 11 million but we want to keep it so are now looking for a long term renter. Go to Islandproperties.com and select Palawan for a rough idea but be careful some properties say Puerto but are up to 40km away from the city. If you fall in love with any just PM me and I can try to give some opinion/view on the location etc

Thanks for the info scott&ligaya :xxgrinning--00xx3:
hmmm i got to work hard on to that ;)

tanga
24th June 2011, 13:48
Tagaytay for me. Cool air,a range of reasonable restaurants and hotels.Accessible to Manila and nearby malls in Dasmarinas.Downsides are the high rise developments that are mushrooming and the increasing traffic,especially during holy week.Lots of expats especially Koreans but the Brits outnumber the Germans 5 to 1.The mayor is very foreigner friendly and hosted a free bbq to expats last month.Even the U.S ambassador turned up.

tanga
27th June 2011, 03:54
Metro Tagaytay for me. We spend our weekends there,the climate is cool and pleasant.There are a good range of quality hotels and restaurants and a Robinsons mall. The mayor is very foreigner-friendly and recently hosted a bbq for over 100 expats and families,even the US ambassador attended. There is a good expat community and Brits outnumber all other expat nationalities(except for the Koreans who do not integrate)Its an easy drive to the beaches of Batangas and for any bikers its the open road experience around rural Cavite and Batangas
Downsides are the growing traffic congestion,increasing population and high-rise buildings being constructed....oh and the city is also situated on the east valley fault line and a few kms from the active volcano Taal but all in a very pleasant place

Englishman2010
27th June 2011, 07:17
I've only got two place in my mind.... SIARGAO OR PALAWAN.....

But i really want to live in Palawan :rolleyes:

(lol nice dream thou')

Dont know 'bout my lil daughter thou' she hate the hot weather... love the beach but dont want to get in the water :laugher::laugher:

Palawan's a great choice, and is high on my list of priorities of places I'd like to settle, I'm going back again this year, but to the Northern end around El Nido and Coron this time. Puerto Princesa is nice and clean for a Filipino City, but it seems like it's a bit of a trek if you want a decent beach. The islands in Honda Bay are really nice (Especially Pandan Island), but a bit of a hassle to get to if you fancy a spur of the moment trip to the beach. If you do open that English Fish n Chip shop, I'll be a regular customer:D Not sure about the Donner Kebabs though:NoNo:

sweetnote143
12th July 2011, 06:19
I'll pick Baybay, Leyte since I've been living here for 10 years....it's accessible to ports and airports, cities and provinces....I love looking at the majestic mountain where sun rises and walk to the beach and watch the sun sets between the Camotes Islands.....so peaceful, so serene.....the air is not polluted, cool breeze from the mountain and warm air from the sea.....when the weather is too hot, the cold streams can take the heat by taking a quick dip or soak for hours. We go hiking and follow the trails near the streams, the last stop is always the falls. Most of all, I love the university environment. :icon_lol:

Much that I love it here, I still miss the sound of the waves crashing to the shore. I miss the sight of the foam of the waves, miss the salty tang of the sea air, miss the lagoons, miss the fine white sand. I miss my native land Eastern Samar. I miss the turbulent sea during December down to February. The sea here in Baybay is too quiet for me. I miss digging my toes into the fine white sand. I miss the thrill being in the boat and all you sea is the expanse of the sea and the Pacific Ocean. I may not know how to swim but it never deterred me going to islands. I love the untouched look of the area, no tourist, no resorts, just me and the islands. I miss the tuna, and fish that can only be caught in the ocean. I miss lots of sea foods that I took for granted while I was still in Eastern Samar.

I cant choose which one coz I love both Eastern Samar and Baybay, Leyte. I love the solitude they offer, and that's what I'm always after. :icon_lol:

ozzmantel
12th July 2011, 08:22
I must say that I am a big fan of Butuan City. It good fun and secure. I have had some good times there I can tell you!

sweetnote143
14th July 2011, 02:17
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_9v2lSB7wM5A/TUCtiPI_AwI/AAAAAAAAAII/O3766VAUEMc/s1600/162_0688.JPG
the majestic mountain of Baybay

http://v21.lscache2.c.bigcache.googleapis.com/static.panoramio.com/photos/original/24811251.jpg
my favorite Ando Island

http://gerryruiz.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/80829canigaow-8433.jpg
Canigao Island

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1124/529627020_efcbae9ffe.jpg
Lake Danao, Ormoc

Filipinamom
16th July 2011, 00:59
:) Cebu City is nice. There's a lot to discover in this place. You could travel to the North or South of Cebu and there are a lot to see esp. the beaches. Cebu is also near many different islands like Bohol, Dumaguete, etc. Food is not expensive in Cebu unlike in the capital Manila.

Koala
9th August 2011, 01:24
I do have a bit of experence regards living in Dumaguete.......I was married in Dgte in 1984 and have been coming here every year since........Been permanently here for 10 years.......I'm afraid I've had enough......I use to live in Lipayo Dauin 12 km south of the city along side of the resorts in the bay.

Moved into the city for work and my partner's work for the last 3 years.....The city has a population of about 120,000 residents and swells to over 400,000 during the day as people come in from the provinces for work and school, hence why the city is packed with pedicabs.

Yes it use to be the "City of Gentle People by the bay" not anymore.......as locals come here from other islands to settle......The crime rate here is out of control as well as the drug problem.....An 75 year old Australian was shot dead in Valencia 2 days ago and one of the cities Attorney's was also killed a few weeks ago. This is not the
1st time Atty's have been murdered its 4 in the least 2 years.....one was murdered by his carpenter his body was found in the concrete septic tank.....All for money....There is 2 gangs in the city the Crips and the Bloods always at each others throats and have ties with the Siliman University students......The infill structure of the City has improved over the years but struggles to keep pace with the growth....Now that the old mayor Pedices has gone, he didn't want growth or change.

The young Vice Mayor is a personal friend and one of my Att's and part of my corporation is trying to encourage investment and growth....Its the corruption in all levels of Gov't that's the problem and always will be he states.....

Don't get me wrong we have made good money here....But its time to slow done and enjoy the Visaya's.....Its time to hit the bigger city of Cebu....I will keep one appartment in Dgte and my residence will be in the hills of cebu looking over the city,Mactan and Bohol island......We both need some of the nicer things in life now such as good restuarants, mall shopping and imported food products as Cebu offers.

All in all I would not live in any other country but my beloved Philippines and its wonderful people.....This just my insight to Dumaguete which is just like any other city once you look under the surface and work and live in this city....

Koala :Wave:

grahamw48
9th August 2011, 11:05
Thanks for the input.

A most interesting post from someone 'on the ground'. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
9th August 2011, 11:47
Well Koala, your experience of living in the Philippines is far more extensive than mine.
It's sad that you find Dumaguete no longer suits you.

Personally I find there's always plenty of negative publicity relating to the potential dangers of Philippines living and an overall lack of safety and security especially for 'foreigners'. Plenty of places here in UK I would avoid living in at all costs for the very same reasons. Signs of the times I guess..... shame.

Crime and danger lurk everywhere. Certainly in most of the places I have lived, including Japan which is meant to be one of the safest places. Plenty of very nasty teen gangs there, often competing with each other for vacancies within the Yakuza.

The American styled 'wanna-be' groups calling themselves Crips and Bloods are allegedly present in a number of places in the Philippines.
Until your post I'd never really heard about any activity in Dumaguete, but I certainly did hear about some activity in Cebu and increasingly now in Angeles.
I hope Cebu suits your expectations, it has a reputation of being a relatively safe city, especially for 'foreigners'.

I've always enjoyed my stays in Cebu and found it a great place for imported foods of all kinds. It's a good base for exploring loads of other places too, with it's good transportation links.

Thanks for taking the time to share your views and experience and good luck for your future plans.

BoholoX
12th August 2011, 09:27
I've a reasonable amount of experience living here (nearly 6 years in three seperate locations) and I've thought long and hard about this question. My (VERY PERSONAL) minimum needs would be (in no order) satellite TV (anywhere) Internet capable of email/browsing (not 50Gb downloads) a town/city within 30 minutes driving with a SM/Robinsons etc. for a weekly shop and within a 2 hour drive/ferry of Cebu/Manila for medical/bi-monthly shopping purposes. Oh and no more than 5 minutes from a beach. Turns out where I live in Pangalo Bohol fulfils all these. I worry though that it's becoming over developed and we will have to move or look to retire elsewhere. I'll need to get a big map and an old fashioned drawing compass....

Terpe
12th August 2011, 09:35
I'll need to get a big map and an old fashioned drawing compass....

All good points to consider.
I have found although that my "list" doesn't change so much, the ranking/priorities does change.
Top of my list now is location within easy reach of a quality hospital/medical facility.
Happens to most I guess. :rolleyes: