PDA

View Full Version : Burns Night Tonight Anyone?

Terpe
25th January 2011, 11:53
I'm lucky enough to have a number of friends living in the town of Corby (aka Little Scotland) where I have enjoyed many great evenings on the January 25th :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Just not lucky enough to get there tonight. :bigcry:

If anyone does get the chance, it's a really fine night out.
Ample quantities of bagpipies, kilts, sporrans and friendly banter.

Traditional Haggis with neeps and tatties, maybe followed by cranachan and plenty of the water of life (whisky)

Toasts, speeches and poetry reading.

Translation always needed for the poetry reading. (well for me anyway)

Anyone attending a Burns Night?

mikey73
26th January 2011, 00:51
hi terpe

wish i was attending one but not long finished work and back in so was unable to. didnt even manage to get a haggis supper tonight either :NoNo:, maybe next year

Dedworth
26th January 2011, 01:46
I'm with the USA Haggis should be banned :D I picked up one in Sainsburys the other day and nearly threw up after reading the ingredients :omg:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/scotland/8275606/Scots-attempt-to-overturn-US-ban-on-haggis.html

Richard Lochhead, the Scottish Government's Rural Affairs Secretary, has invited a delegation of American politicians to Scotland in the hope of persuading them to overturn the ban.

The iconic Scottish dish is been barred in the US for more than 20 years because its food safety department prohibits the use of sheep lungs in food products.

The US could provide a highly lucrative market for Scottish haggis producers, particularly in the run up to Burns Night, the traditional celebration of the life and poetry of Robert Burns.

Mr Lochhead raised the matter with US authorities last year and said he hoped to persuade the delegation that "it's time to allow imports to resume".

Mr Lochhead said: "We want to capitalise on the diaspora of Scots in the US and many of them would enjoy the opportunity to indulge in authentic Scottish haggis to accompany their neeps and tatties on Burns Night.

GaryFifer
26th January 2011, 02:20
They want to get our own back on Scotland for the Lockerbie bomber issue So I ain't buying their :angry:

Arthur Little
26th January 2011, 23:40
As a proud Scot, it's to my shame that I haven't attended a Burn's Supper for many years. Still enjoy haggis, neeps 'n' tatties ... although cannot tempt Myrna to share my taste for this particular traditional, mouthwatering, "National" delicacy! :nono-1-1:

More importantly ... hullawrer, Gary ... howzit gaun? Maun ... it's rerr tae see ye postin' here again ... so'tis! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

mikey73
27th January 2011, 00:12
As a proud Scot, it's to my shame Still enjoy haggis, neeps 'n' tatties ... although cannot tempt Myrna to share my taste for this particular traditional, mouthwatering, "National" delicacy! :nono-1-1:

oh yes haggis 'n' tatties is one of the best meals going. not too keen on neeps though:)

bruneicop
27th January 2011, 03:31
MIssed burns night the last two years now being in Brunei, did have many a great burns night in Singapore before though.........mind you my missus isnt too keen on it