PDA

View Full Version : Eating Pure Fat

KeithD
24th January 2011, 22:45
I notice that many Filipina's who eat say pork, eat all the fat, and this is usually belly pork which contains a lot of it. Although we need to eat some fat, too much of this kind does more harm than good, and apart from putting weight on, it also clogs up your arteries leading to possible heart disease.

raynaputi
24th January 2011, 22:47
was this intended to me hmmm?!?! :rolleyes:

Englishman2010
24th January 2011, 22:55
I noticed that too on my last trip. I love pork and ate a variety of pork and lechon dishes, but I cut the fat off and only ate the meat which seemed to surprise the waiter/waitresses when they cleared the plates away.
We've been spoiled in the west, we go to Tesco's and buy our shrink wrapped trays of lean meat, and the fat, ears, trotters, head, offal and other stuff we don't eat anymore goes to the sausage factory. In the Phil's nothing gets wasted beacuse they cant afford to be as fussy as we are.
I have to admit, I ate some wonderful food at the street sellers stores and tried a variety of things I've never dreamed of eating before...bargain prices too in Palawan, 7php a kebab

Doc Alan
24th January 2011, 23:42
Deposits of fat and narrowing of arteries (atherosclerosis) cause almost all cases of ischaemic heart disease which is now the most serious disease both in Philippines and UK. The causes are the same, but the relative importance of the risk factors varies between the countries.
High levels of fat in the blood (hyperlipidaemia) is one risk factor, common to both countries. In the UK statins are prescribed more frequently to lower these fats. We eat less "pure fat" but it's "disguised" in very many foods. The other risk factors are diabetes and high blood pressure ( both less often treated in Philippines), cigarette smoking and obesity (equally common), lack of exercise ( ? more common in Philippines), and heavy alcohol consumption ( more common in UK).

fred
25th January 2011, 00:53
Fiesta here for two days and copious amounts of pure pig fat and alcohol for all concerned..:rolleyes:
Back to boiled fish and chicken breast for another year..
well..For me anyway.

mickcant
25th January 2011, 10:42
Strange that Filipina's are so small and dainty yet eat so much fat:furious3:

I put on weight looking at it.::Cuckoo:

I like Rib Eye Steak becouse the fat running through it makes it tast so much better:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Mick.:)

sars_notd_virus
25th January 2011, 10:53
hmmm i do love pork fats!!! roast pork,grilled (bbq),bacon:hubbahubba:

I noticed that when I was in the Philippines we only do pork on the weekends ,weekdays are mostly veggies,fish...but here in the UK, its completely altered fish on the weekend and pork,chicken,pasta on the weekdays.

I think 'fats' will harm you if you don't burn it means you have to exercise..but my granfather has a different cure to this he eats raw garlic after he consumed loads of fats and he is a farmer,he lived for 88years.

malditako
25th January 2011, 14:58
pork fats are really delicious but just cant eat much as i wanted to...i always end up having upset stomach and heartburn...same everytime i eat cheaps and sunday roast dinner.

jimeve
25th January 2011, 20:08
My father-in-law had three strokes, left him paralysed down one side. last year he died after a fatal stroke killed him. They never learn, keep telling wife to stop eating fat. she just says to me stop drinking alcohol. :Erm:

Sim11UK
26th January 2011, 00:52
The pork liempo is lovely, when you buy it barbecued with all the fatty bits & crackling, but yes you do need to be careful...not eat it too often.
Same with salt...Filipino's use too much of it.

somebody
28th January 2011, 22:30
So true sim about the Salt!!! I think the Wife has my weekly intake of salt in some of her side dishes!!

Englishman2010
28th January 2011, 22:43
Salt, sugar and fat - Pinoy food's full of it:omg: But I do love it:icon_lol:

Doc Alan
2nd February 2011, 19:59
At least the fat on pork is visible ! If we could actually see how much saturated fat ( the "wrong" type, usually from animals) is present in cakes, chocolate, biscuits, pies, pastry, cheese and whole milk it might put us off. Unfortunately fat makes food taste good. Unsaturated fat (the "right" type, usually from vegetables and oily fish) should be increased, and saturated fat decreased, in the diet.
We do need fat. It supplies vitamins A, D, E, and K and essential fatty acids, and protects organs and cells, in addition to being a fuel reserve. But it's a concentrated source of energy and should be no more than about a third of the total energy intake.
However, the overall risk of of coronary heart disease (and other vascular diseases) does depend on the combined effect of several factors. The amounts of dietary fat and salt are only two of these.

Arthur Little
2nd February 2011, 20:41
Although we need to eat some fat, too much of this kind does more harm than good, and apart from putting weight on, it also clogs up your arteries leading to possible heart disease.

:doh ... don't I know it?! Some folk on here may be aware that, 3 years' ago, I'd to undergo tricky and delicate surgery to clear an 80 percent blockage in my left carotid artery - to avoid a stroke - as a result of my over-fondness for the "good" things in life.

Ako Si Jamie
3rd February 2011, 21:21
:doh ... don't I know it?! Some folk on here may be aware that, 3 years' ago, I'd to undergo tricky and delicate surgery to clear an 80 percent blockage in my left carotid artery - to avoid a stroke - as a result of my over-fondness for the "good" things in life.Aye. Best to stay away from the ladies of the night. :xxgrinning--00xx3: