PDA

View Full Version : 'Ink About It

Arthur Little
21st January 2011, 17:38
:rolleyes: I'm needing to replace the ink cartridges on my hp Photosmart Plus series - B209 wireless Printer/Scanner/Copier ... but the 96-page catalogue that came with the appliance seems to contain instructions in just about every language imaginable - other than English :doh - which, of course, makes it difficult ... nay ... well-nigh impossible to order the correct black & white and coloured inks. :Help1:

Terpe
21st January 2011, 18:30
Arthur,
Hope this tells you what you need:-
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01796502.pdf

Terpe
21st January 2011, 18:44
Coincidently I was looking a buying a new wireless all-in-one printer at Comet earlier today. Most of them now use 4 ink cartridges. I checked out the prices of the cartirdges.
For a set it worked out at around £100!
The printer was in the sale half price at £89
So for the time being I decided not to replace my old one
Then bought 4 bottles of champagne.... since it was cheaper than ink:D

Dedworth
21st January 2011, 18:52
I recently bough an HP Officejet 6500 Wireless (4 in one I need a fax) from BT Business Direct you have to buy a so called "Value Pack" of Paper and Cartridges at the same time - this then qualifies you for £50.00 Cashback if bought before 31 Jan. With a £3.50 pack of HP paper to dodge BT's carriage it came to £149.92 before VAT which I claim back. I've not had an HP before seems pretty good 'specially the wireless but I need to get onto support about the scan software which is a not fully working. Here's the HP link re the cashbacks http://h40059.www4.hp.com/savemoney/hp-officejet-pro.html

Arthur Little
21st January 2011, 18:58
Arthur,
Hope this tells you what you need:-
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01796502.pdf

:xxgrinning--00xx3: Just the job, Terpe ... Myrna & I will study this online manual in depth after teatime. :68711_thanx: - as always - for your excellent help.

jimeve
21st January 2011, 20:33
Coincidently I was looking a buying a new wireless all-in-one printer at Comet earlier today. Most of them now use 4 ink cartridges. I checked out the prices of the cartirdges.
For a set it worked out at around £100!
The printer was in the sale half price at £89
So for the time being I decided not to replace my old one
Then bought 4 bottles of champagne.... since it was cheaper than ink:D

Thats funny also, I was looking at comet printers too. the Canon 650 wireless al-in-one £ 150 can get cheap ink from amazon, and ebay.

les_taxi
22nd January 2011, 00:15
I'm a expert of cheap ink:xxgrinning--00xx3:
I pay about £20 for 6 sets of 6 cartridges for my printer fantastic value means I can print anything I like all year round :)
Here is a link for the printer you mentioned
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=hp+Photosmart+b209&_sacat=0&_odkw=hp+Photosmart&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

joebloggs
22nd January 2011, 01:26
you have to be careful the printer you buy doesnt need printheads and ink carts or replacing them will cost you more than you paid for the printer :doh

JimOttley
22nd January 2011, 03:06
When I can afford it I will buy a proper Dye Sublimation printer, cheaper and fixed cost per print irrespective of print colour content, also much faster printing but sadly still well outside the price range for the average home user.

Inkjets are slow and Inkjet Printer ink is one of the most expensive commodities in the world.

fred
22nd January 2011, 04:02
My policy is to buy cheap printers and refill the cartridges ..Im sure the refill ink damages the machine after 5 or 6 refills but as I treat the machine as a throw away item,who cares.

johncar54
22nd January 2011, 14:42
I have an Epson printer. I bought some refillable cartridges and ink in 500 cc bottles.

I have been using refill ink for several years with various printers. I fill the cartridges whilst they are installed, less messy. On my Epson I then just lift the cartridge, enough to disconnect, and then replace, that resets the chip.

Arthur Little
22nd January 2011, 19:16
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=hp+Photosmart+b209&_sacat=0&_odkw=hp+Photosmart&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Fantastic link, Les ... I've since placed my order ... and registered on eBay! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

JimOttley
22nd January 2011, 21:51
Be careful on ebay Arthur, it's great and I buy a lot of stuff from there but you really need to check out each merchant's history before you buy from them, anything that looks too good to be true probably is, people with low feedback might be fake, never pay outside ebay or paypal and always watch the postal charges.

les_taxi
22nd January 2011, 22:05
Good points but if you use a respected seller and pay by paypal you should be fine.
I have never had a problem e-baying in 5 years:xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
22nd January 2011, 23:04

that depends on how many items you've bought in that 5yrs les :D

i've had a few problems over the years, some cheeky :censored: claiming to have sent some thing and it get lost and the replacement got lost :NoNo:

you can buy cheap second hand color laser printers on ebay etc, for me you still cant beat the quality and price of a laser :xxgrinning--00xx3:

JimOttley
23rd January 2011, 00:07
Good points but if you use a respected seller and pay by paypal you should be fine.

Agreed Les.

I have only ever been a buyer on ebay, I should make a point of trying to get some selling done too but then again I don't have a lot to sell :)

I personally have had more problems on Amazon than ebay.

As you say use respected retailers, anyone with 99% or more should be fine, to ebay newbies check their replies on the bad feedback and see if they feel hurt, a lot of them do feel hurt by bad feedback.

I quite often buy high value items and that is obviously a worry, so I try to be as sure as I possibly can be.

My recent experience on ebay has been great though, very happy all round.

les_taxi
23rd January 2011, 04:19
that depends on how many items you've bought in that 5yrs les :D

i've had a few problems over the years, some cheeky :censored: claiming to have sent some thing and it get lost and the replacement got lost :NoNo:

you can buy cheap second hand color laser printers on ebay etc, for me you still cant beat the quality and price of a laser :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I just bought my £7000 car of the internet!
The quality of my printing is fantastic for an ink jet,I have an Epson r360 photo printer and I printed some holiday pics on a4 high quality glossy photo paper using my "cheap ink" they look amazing and cost me very little.
I print direct to dvds/cds and they look very professional too:)
So for about £20 a year i get top quality printing,and never have to worry about the cost:xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
23rd January 2011, 12:11
The quality of my printing is fantastic for an ink jet,I have an Epson r360 photo printer and I printed some holiday pics on a4 high quality glossy photo paper using my "cheap ink" they look amazing and cost me very little.
I print direct to dvds/cds and they look very professional too:)
So for about £20 a year i get top quality printing,and never have to worry about the cost:xxgrinning--00xx3:

:yikes: £7,000 thats some ebay fee they've hafd to pay :D

well i work with printers, so i print all mine out at work, printed some pics on A3 for little joes birthday on standard paper, quality is awesome, if i had a3 gloss it would have been alot better... :rolleyes:

Tawi2
23rd January 2011, 13:17
Most expensive thing I bought on e-bay was a video camera for £2200,went and collected it in person,bought loads of stuff on the 'bay,never once had any problems.

les_taxi
23rd January 2011, 18:45
Sorry car was not on e-bay but was an internet purchase:)

Dedworth
23rd January 2011, 19:00
Sorry car was not on e-bay but was an internet purchase:)

I didn't know he was still trading :D

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Arts/Arts_/site_furniture/2008/02/14/arthurdaley460.jpg

somebody
28th January 2011, 22:09
Was checking out Ebay as the missus had a shopping list of ds psp's and what not she wanted..
jeez the amount of items which had no charger or any of the other contents which came from new was so high.. I agree lots of traders and honest people trading:xxgrinning--00xx3: but a sizable amount of dodgy items both fakes from Hong kong and items borrowed under duress from their owners it appears

Ended up down a local 2nd hand electrical shop checked over the items then the wife went in seperately did her haggling with the Chinese owners and got far better prices/deals than on half inched bay:rolleyes:

Avoid Ink printers if you can if you have the money and do a lot of printing look at a laser printer I know people who bought one and to print 3 or 4 thousand plus prints takes them so long it lasts them a kids school/college career etc cost per copy is far far lower than normally a ink jet will cost.

Plus find out how to change the settings most cartridges are made to say they empty when still part full..

les_taxi
28th January 2011, 22:54
I'm not sure Arthur was wanting to print thousands of copies!
For most people a decent ink jet printer is fine and as I have explained the ink you can buy from trusted sellers on E-bay is excellent and represents good value for money:xxgrinning--00xx3:
I print a fair amount onto discs,photo's and documents and in total spend about £20 a year on ink,you will struggle to beat that laser printer or not:)

imagine
29th January 2011, 00:47
:xxgrinning--00xx3:
and how much was the postage :omg:

les_taxi
29th January 2011, 01:28
and how much was the postage :omg:

£60 :xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
29th January 2011, 01:54
£60 :xxgrinning--00xx3:

and hows your letter box :laugher:

Arthur Little
29th January 2011, 02:18

:NoNo: ... you're right, Les ... although, with Myrna being due to apply for ILR shortly, we'll be printing/photocopying the load of bumff that the Home Office requires. So:68711_thanx:, once again for your recommendations ... the ink cartridges were delivered yesterday. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

somebody
29th January 2011, 11:47
For most people a decent ink jet printer is fine and as I have explained the ink you can buy from trusted sellers on E-bay is excellent and represents good value for money:xxgrinning--00xx3:
I print a fair amount onto discs,photo's and documents and in total spend about £20 a year on ink,you will struggle to beat that laser printer or not:)

Very true:xxgrinning--00xx3: if just one or two of you it would not make sense. But i do know those who are real heavy users ie young families etc have worked out how much they will save and then used for a good few years and its worked for them. Amazing how many pages a family can end up printing now for school work :omg: and it appears it can vary from so many copies free to paying quite a bit if you print at the school college!

Whatever printer you get make sure it does not use cmy for black as some cheap printers do!! Most print is black and I have seen some printers where they combine the cyan, magenta and yellow to make the black and they will waste ink like crazy. Especially on text which is typically black.

Same with making sure you can buy/change the indivudal colours seperately:) Also check how much the black ink/toner is often they are far cheaper than the colours;)

Amazing how many pages you can print in black and white mode or even in another mono colour if you have an excess of one colour ;) ie drafts, written notes, web bought items recepits and some other printouts which are throwaway after a limited life.

Picking the right ink jet is very important as some waste ink like no ones business so worth checking the interweb and the manual about how often they do clean head etc and if it can be altered and how it will effect the quality:omg:

les_taxi
29th January 2011, 14:12
This is the company I use:xxgrinning--00xx3:
http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=hornsea-inkjets-trade-prices&ftab=AllFeedback&myworld=true

les_taxi
11th February 2011, 19:44
:NoNo: ... you're right, Les ... although, with Myrna being due to apply for ILR shortly, we'll be printing/photocopying the load of bumff that the Home Office requires. So:68711_thanx:, once again for your recommendations ... the ink cartridges were delivered yesterday. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Were you happy with your ink in the end Arthur?

Arthur Little
11th February 2011, 19:53
Were you happy with your ink in the end Arthur?

Yes, very much so, Les ... thanks. :xxgrinning--00xx3: