PDA

View Full Version : British humor!!

sars_notd_virus
18th January 2011, 15:42
witty,sarcastic,demeaning,frankly insulting,hahaha!!!

I can hear my hubby saying''oh hunnie,i'm just teasing''..as a wife of a british, I'm often offended and treat some of his tease as sarcasm ..but you know life is a learning process , I need to be sharp and I have to grow up with it!!!:Cuckoo::crazy::D

so,what is exactly a 'british humuor'' to you ??

Steve.r
18th January 2011, 15:51
It's all in inerpretation. Being funny here in text is not so easy, meet me in person and I will tell you something and you will not know if I am being serious or not. Mostly I am joking, guess you can see it in my eyes. The thing is because we as Brits have a very dry sense of humour, it takes time to understand, interpret the use of the language and the way it is said. We are complex, and I can see why we offen offend, like Ricky Gervias in the States yesterday, he was great, but mis-understood by the 'yanks'
Oh well, :doh

fred
18th January 2011, 16:50
so,what is exactly a 'british humuor'' to you ??

I could tell you but you wouldn't understand!!:icon_lol:

fred
18th January 2011, 16:54
like Ricky Gervias in the States yesterday, he was great, but mis-understood by the 'yanks'

If Gervias is so misunderstood by the yanks ,why is this his second Golden globes presentation??

RickyR
18th January 2011, 18:26
Dry humour is fantastic!

Englishman2010
18th January 2011, 21:36
It takes a while to get used to our sense of humor, particularly the sarcastic humor:icon_lol: Elaine says that she has to double read everything i say in my messages in case she takes something the wrong way, but she's a fast learner and has a pretty good sense of humor too

sars_notd_virus
18th January 2011, 21:48
Ricky Gervias in the States yesterday, he was great, but mis-understood by the 'yanks'
Oh well, :doh

hahaha nice,reminded them that at the end of the day they are only humans!!:icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dry humour is fantastic!

verging on sarcasm :D:xxgrinning--00xx3:

It takes a while to get used to our sense of humor, particularly the sarcastic humor:icon_lol: Elaine says that she has to double read everything i say in my messages in case she takes something the wrong way, but she's a fast learner and has a pretty good sense of humor too

yeah,like what i've said its takes a while...needs to be sharp and grow up with it :icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3:

aposhark
19th January 2011, 05:18
I like to joke a lot too but my wife also often takes it the wrong way.
It is difficult to change ourselves so I suppose we just have to hope that, as time goes on, we can learn to accept each other's sense of humour as a couple.

I don't know about other girlfriends, fiancees and wives here but my wife is very sensitive.
I'm often like a bull in a china shop so we occasionally have hiccups, followed sometimes by a tampo (which I have difficulty coping with) and a tear or two.
This makes me feel dreadful and I realise Fil-Brit marriages can sometimes have a bump in the road, but even marriage between two people from the same country have the occasional problem. Often much worse IMO.

Hiccups can be cured by a cooling off period and a hug.

The British sense of humour is laced with sarcasm and it is often difficult for other countries to understand.
When I was in the USA, they couldn't understand sarcasm at all :rolleyes:

fred
19th January 2011, 05:46
Hiccups can be cured by a cooling off period and a hug.I thought all I had to do was hold by breath for 20 seconds?

South-east boy
19th January 2011, 10:04
Maybe it would help you get our humour if you watched some classic British comedies? Ones such as Blackadder, Only fools & horses, One foot in the grave, Open all hours etc. Blackadder has a definite dry & sarcastic humour in it!

aposhark
19th January 2011, 11:47
I thought all I had to do was hold by breath for 20 seconds?

No, just plunge into a cold lake, then hug a tree :icon_lol:

bornatbirth
19th January 2011, 12:20
witty,sarcastic,demeaning,frankly insulting,hahaha!!!

I can hear my hubby saying''oh hunnie,i'm just teasing''..as a wife of a british, I'm often offended and treat some of his tease as sarcasm ..

my wife is the same and says jokes are half meant even thou i keep telling her im just joking and teasing her.....i can get her so pikon so easy :D

im light hearted but see the funny side in most things and like dry, dark humour :xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
19th January 2011, 13:22
im light hearted but see the funny side in most things and like dry, dark humour :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Are you sure?

bornatbirth
19th January 2011, 13:34
Are you sure?

yep, expect for anything you say :Erm:

fred
19th January 2011, 13:38
Dont worry about it BAB.. Im only havin a laugh with ya!!

BTW//What do you think of my new AVATAR?

sparky
19th January 2011, 13:48
yes i have had to learn to curb my teasing and sense of humour a little with the wife- as above we have had a few issues with it followed by the tampo and silences:doh

especially in a sales enviroment p1ss taking is the norm and sometimes i forget that Mrs might not appreciate my sense of humour if i tease her
suppose its all part of the learning curve for us both- me to cool it a bit and her to not be over sensitive

fred
19th January 2011, 13:53
Sparky.. Just give her lessons in Humour..My Mrs had to learn the hard way..
Now Im the butt of most of her jokes these days!!
My problem!!

Terpe
19th January 2011, 15:12
Sparky.. Just give her lessons in Humour..My Mrs had to learn the hard way..
Now Im the butt of most of her jokes these days!!
My problem!!

Fred, I see from your new avatar that you are now a Pheasant Plucker :D

fred
19th January 2011, 15:32
Terpe..More of a Pheasant pluckers son..!!:icon_lol:

sparky
19th January 2011, 16:11
Fred, I see from your new avatar that you are now a Pheasant Plucker :D

or perhaps hes a pleasant pheasant plucker:D

fred
19th January 2011, 16:40
or perhaps hes a pleasant pheasant plucker:D

Not sure about the pleasant thing!!
Pluck me!!

gWaPito
19th January 2011, 17:45
Like Sparky I curbed it for a while Jane would go big time queer on me. Now she accepts its my way and realises im only being funny, no harm intended. Its hurts me to say but, I also agree with Apo's post Very good! As for them understanding our humour and finding it funny in the end well, I have my doubts on that. It was said if they watched all the reruns of previous classics they will understand, well yes but, not find it funny. Its like me sat watching shameless. I will understand but, i can assure you I will never find it funny! I would like to add 'rising damp' and the 'two Ronnies' to that list west end boy composed. Todays 'funny' shows leave me cold. To understand why our partners dont get our humour, you only got to watch there tv back home! I like the 'eat bulaga' but, we all know why us guys like watching that and its not for the quick witted one liners.

Notavirusalso
19th January 2011, 18:36
I agree with gwapito, quick witted one liners, and any clip from only fools and horeses with Trigger in as I think he sum's it up very nicely.
And its hard to be witty when you have to say it over a couple of times and explain the meaning of the joke then the context and the double meaning of the words you have used and........ then its not funny anynore:NoNo:
But I love my wife so much and its good to see her learning the intricacies of our "humour" but she's getting there and slowing joining in... and she likes black adder so thats a good start

sars_notd_virus
19th January 2011, 21:15
Hubby, stop commenting on my thread....you're a thread ender!!:D

gWaPito
19th January 2011, 21:35
I thought that most unglorious title belonged to me! I thought I was the one who killed the threads ha ha ha. Im going to have to get out my VHS box set of 'rising damp' I wonder if Jane will find that as funny as I do. We will see. Jane is funny too but, she does not realise it! She makes me laugh all the time.

sparky
19th January 2011, 22:27
and its not an even playing field either

if i try and say something in tagolog and get it wrong the wife wets herslf with laughter

however if she gets summit wrong and i laugh then all hell breaks loose:Erm:

gWaPito
20th January 2011, 02:32
Yep Thats about right Sparky.

aposhark
20th January 2011, 14:59
Filipina wives - don't you just love them :xxgrinning--00xx3:

gWaPito
20th January 2011, 15:19
Oh yes Apo :D:xxgrinning--00xx3: