PDA

View Full Version : Low Income? Check if you qualify

LadyJ
26th March 2007, 12:11
I thought this might be useful;

If you or your partner are in a low income you could be entitled to a benefits. (Please note: These are only applied to a person who have right to received public funds i.e you or your partner can claim).

Free calculators to help you work out your entitlement to benefits and tax credits

People are missing out on benefits and tax credits worth more than £5 billion a year. Entitledto can help make sure you get what is yours. Just use our simple calculator to work out how much you could claim.

Click on the link www.entitledto.co.uk

And also, FREE MILK, FRUIT, VEGETABLES AND VITAMINS for Pregnant or have children under four. You could qualify if you're on benefits or you're pregnant and under 18.

Check if you qualify www.healthystart.nhs.uk

LadyJ
26th March 2007, 12:24
And also for parents or mums who are expecting a child.

Sure Start Maternity Grant
You will received £500 to buy things for your new child.

You can claim a Sure Start Maternity Grant if you or your partner are getting

Income Support
income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
Child Tax Credit at a higher rate than the family element, or
Working Tax Credit where a disabled worker is included in the assessment.
You can claim the Sure Start Maternity Grant from 11 weeks before the baby is due until three months after the baby is born.

If you are adopting, your baby must be aged under 12 months, and you should claim within three months of adopting. If your baby is born by surrogacy, you (or your husband or wife) must have a parental order. You should claim within three months of the order being made.

For more information contact your local Benefits Office/ Social Security Agency (SSA). or visit this link http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Bfsl1/BenefitsAndFinancialSupport/DG_10018854

LadyJ
26th March 2007, 12:32
Come on mates! Make the most of these benefits while you or your partner are in a low income or pregnant.

Or I should say

Make the most of these benefits if you think you paid too many taxes or visa fees???

joebloggs
26th March 2007, 13:12
:xxgrinning--00xx3:
totally agree with you, get some of your visa fees back :xxgrinning--00xx3:

the maternity grant has a strict time limit, so make sure you apply soon as the bb is born, and make sure they get ur app, the phone number is nearly always busy.

as with all benefits, claim as soon as you can, as some cannot be backed dated for a long period. and processing time is a joke, especially tax creds, as your wife will proberly need a NI number.

KeithD
26th March 2007, 14:16
They already give me a few hundred a week, so I'll leave some for others :D

scotsfiancee
26th March 2007, 14:46
I hold FLR visa right now

Here are the guidelines from Home office

As a person who has married someone settled in this country you may now stay here for an initial period of two years. You may establish a business or take an employment without the need to apply for a work permit.

Under the Immigration Rules you are not entitled to recieve public funds to help meet your living and accomodation costs (or those of any dependants). In addtion YOUR SPONSOR IS NOT ENTITLED TO CLAIM OR RECEIVE PUBLIC FUNDS ON YOUR BEHALF. The public funds which you are not allowed to claim for and receive are listed below:
. income-based jobseeker's allowance
. attendance allowance
. severe disablement allowance
. carer's allowance
. disability living allowance
. income support
. child taxcredit
. working tax credit
. a social fund payment
. child benefit
. housing benefit
. council tax benefit
. state pension credit
. an allocation of local authority housing
. local authority homeless assistance

It is a condition of your stay that you must not recieve any of the public funds listed above. This condition is endorsed in your passport under '' no recourse to public funds''. If you do claim and recieve any of the public funds listed above, that will be breach of your condtions of stay which is a criminal offence under section 24 of the Immigration Act 1971. This may result in your prosecution for that offence and/or curtailment of your leave to stay in the United Kingdom. It may also result in any future application for further or indefinite leave to remain being refused.

However, there are some exceptional circumtances in which people who have ''no recourse to public funds'' recorded in their passport may be able to receive some of the public funds listed above, if, for example there is an agreement between the United Kingdom and their home country. To find out this applies in your case, you should ask the agency or local authority responsible for the particular fund(s).

There are also benefits which may be entitled to recieve that are based on National Insurance contributions and are therefore not classified as non-contributory public funds.These include:

.contribution based jobseeker's allowance
. incapacity benefit
. retirement pension
. widows benefit and bereavement benefit
. guardian's allowance
. statutory maternity pay

If you have received any of these funds then you will not be regarded as having had recourse to public funds. Claiming and receiving any of thse will not breach your condtions of stay.

If you are still married and living with your spouse at the end of the period for which you have been given permission to stay, you may apply for indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom. You must apply before the end of your authorised stay in UNIted Kingdom, but not more than 28 days completing that period.

If you apply earlier than that your application may be refused.

LadyJ
26th March 2007, 15:46
Yeap that's true Scotsfiancee, these benefits are not applied for those who are subject to Immigration Control.

However, if your partner i.e either ILR or British Citizen can be entitled to these benefits.

i.e you as a 'no recourse to a public funds' status and your partner holds a ILR or British Citizen (or either way) and have a dependant child is automatically entitled to Child Benefit (£17.45 p.w. for eldest child).

Or

you as a 'no recourse to a public funds' status and your partner holds a ILR or British Citizen (or either way) and in a low income can claim a Working & Child Tax credits and/or Housing & Council Tax Benefits.

If you live with your partner the claimant must put your details on the forms and this doesn't mean you are going to claim benefits too. No! your partner is the one who is claiming a benefit not you, it's the law that the claimant must declare to the benefits office if he lives with partner or not, either you are subject to Immigration Control or not..

joebloggs
26th March 2007, 16:11
true :xxgrinning--00xx3:

i'am claiming the benefits not my wife, but you do have to fill her details in, anyway shes been working for nearly a year now, she should be entitled to what ever she has paid in, discrimination :NoNo:

scotsfiancee
26th March 2007, 16:18
Under the Immigration Rules you are not entitled to recieve public funds to help meet your living and accomodation costs (or those of any dependants) In addtion YOUR SPONSOR IS NOT ENTITLED TO CLAIM OR RECEIVE PUBLIC FUNDS ON YOUR BEHALF.

It said that, your sponsor is not entitled to claim or recieve public funds on my behalf.

So how come?

That's really confused me at all :cwm3:

LadyJ
26th March 2007, 16:36
As far as I know, your partner or sponsor can only claim benefits and act as a behalf if your are disabled or have a serious health and mental problems.

Don't worry, they won't give you any benefits if they saw your passport with 'no recourse to public funds'.

scotsfiancee
26th March 2007, 16:39
Don't worry, they won't give you any benefits if they saw your passport with 'no recourse to public funds'.

Yeah i know that.

baboyako
26th March 2007, 18:11
i am on no income :cwm3::bigcry:

eljean
26th March 2007, 19:23
As far as I know, your partner or sponsor can only claim benefits and act as a behalf if your are disabled or have a serious health and mental problems.

just curious so is your sponsor/husband has plan or claiming benefits in your behalf now?

LadyJ
26th March 2007, 19:57
just curious so is your sponsor/husband has plan or claiming benefits in your behalf now?

He's already claiming Child Benefit £69 monthly, Housing Benefit £171 monthly but Working and Child Tax Credit are still on process, so we don't know yet.

and currently our second child is on the way, so he's also claiming a Sure Start Maternity Grant for me (I can not claim this as I'm in 'no recourse to public funds' but my hubby can because this is his child too).

KeithD
26th March 2007, 20:09
Makes you wonder what I work 10-12hrs a day 7 days a week to pay taxes for :rolleyes:

LadyJ
26th March 2007, 20:19
Makes you wonder what I work 10-12hrs a day 7 days a week to pay taxes for :rolleyes:

Oh that's funny keith! Well, I didn't realise you still have to pay tax by just clicking.

scotsfiancee
26th March 2007, 22:39
He's already claiming Child Benefit £69 monthly, Housing Benefit £171 monthly but Working and Child Tax Credit are still on process, so we don't know yet.

Do you have any idea if How much is the maximum salary required to claim that benefits?

baboyako
27th March 2007, 08:51
Do you have any idea if How much is the maximum salary required to claim that benefits?

i think for family tax credits it's 50k household income.

KeithD
27th March 2007, 09:03
Oh that's funny keith! Well, I didn't realise you still have to pay tax by just clicking.
:Erm: I run my own company of 45 web sites! They are not managed by magic at Hogworts you know :NoNo: .

Maternity benefit is a complete joke, if you can't afford to have a baby in the first place, then DON'T HAVE ONE. Simple. :Brick:

joebloggs
27th March 2007, 11:02
:omg: u can tell keith hasn't got kids :yikes:

i claim tax creds, child care and child benefit - as paul mc carnty can even claim that.

you can def tell keith got no kids, maternity grant not benefit !, you give me £500, you got no idea what kids stuff cost. why do i claim it, because rip of gov wouldnt give my wife maternity pay, even thou shes working and paid her taxes :cwm23:

yes on her passport, 'no recourse to public funds', but the gov got recourse to her funds :NoNo:

as for not having kids if you canrt afford them, i would rather spend a life time struggling and have them ,than be a sad :censored: with millions :xxgrinning--00xx3:

we all give and take. just in different ways :D

KeithD
27th March 2007, 11:24
A grant is a benefit ya daft twit, as you BENEFIT from it :doh ....and I have two kids, both teenagers so know exactly how much they cost. :Brick:

baboyako
27th March 2007, 13:00
.. so know exactly how much they cost. :Brick:

where did you buy them from? :Erm:

LadyJ
27th March 2007, 13:03

I think if your household annual income is like 14-15k you will most likely to get benefits.

Why not check if your partner is qualify http://www.taxcredits.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/Qualify/DIQHousehold.aspx

Well, everyone in this country are paying taxes as well as my partner, so it was just right for him to claim his benefits that he is entitled for and Its just not my partner who is claiming these kind benefits.

Even though I or we complain a lot about these taxes I learned that on the other hand there are good causes like we don't pay for giving birth, free check-ups with your GP, free school and dentist check-ups for young children, benefits for people who are in a low-income, collections for our rubbish and so on and so on.

Now my purpose of posting this topic here is trying to help or remind someone that they might be entitled for these benefits.

I can accept jokes but words like these below maybe is not the right answer for mum-to-be like me who was just trying to help here!

Maternity benefit is a complete joke, if you can't afford to have a baby in the first place, then DON'T HAVE ONE. Simple.

KeithD
27th March 2007, 13:12
...we don't pay for giving birth, free check-ups with your GP, free school and dentist check-ups for young children, benefits for people who are in a low-income, collections for our rubbish and so on and so on

:cwm24: What do we pay such high taxes for? :doh

Mr Brown just upped mine rate from 19% to 22%....bargain :NoNo: , never mind the VAT on rising utility bills, council tax, fuel, etc....

eljean
27th March 2007, 13:18

and currently our second child is on the way, so he's also claiming a Sure Start Maternity Grant for me (I can not claim this as I'm in 'no recourse to public funds' but my hubby can because this is his child too).

i thought the same thing before that if i cant claim my husband can for it is also his child and his also a tax payer....with low income still pay rent privately....im pregnant i just want something for my child to have when knowing others can even have benefits even without working.....while my husband work so hard so they have some benefits to claim out from the taxes he paids every week and year.

LadyJ
27th March 2007, 13:36
i thought the same thing before that if i cant claim my husband can for it is also his child and his also a tax payer....with low income still pay rent privately....im pregnant i just want something for my child to have when knowing others can even have benefits even without working.....while my husband work so hard so they have some benefits to claim out from the taxes he paids every week and year.

Hi eljean, first of all Congratulations hun!!
If you and your partner are living on a low income tell him to contact your benefit office straight away and ask what you could be entitled for or check the links I've posted above.

How many weeks are you now? have you told to your GP/Midwife that you are expecting?

joebloggs
27th March 2007, 13:41
A grant is a benefit ya daft twit, as you BENEFIT from it :doh ....and I have two kids, both teenagers so know exactly how much they cost. :Brick:

:Rasp: the gov class it as a grant not a benefit, of course you benefit from it !, who would want it if you didnt, most 'grants' are one off payments - like the maternity grant, while most 'benefits' or 'allowences' are weekly or monthly ! - there is a difference !

i suppose when your 2 kids were born , you could afford them? and you took no 'benefits' ! ?

i've paid for the benefits while i've worked and others have had kids, for now its my time to claim and someone else can pay :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
27th March 2007, 13:48
I think if your household annual income is like 14-15k you will most likely to get benefits.

Why not check if your partner is qualify http://www.taxcredits.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/Qualify/DIQHousehold.aspx

Well, everyone in this country are paying taxes as well as my partner, so it was just right for him to claim his benefits that he is entitled for and Its just not my partner who is claiming these kind benefits.

Even though I or we complain a lot about these taxes I learned that on the other hand there are good causes like we don't pay for giving birth, free check-ups with your GP, free school and dentist check-ups for young children, benefits for people who are in a low-income, collections for our rubbish and so on and so on.

Now my purpose of posting this topic here is trying to help or remind someone that they might be entitled for these benefits.

I can accept jokes but words like these below maybe is not the right answer for mum-to-be like me who was just trying to help here!

you have to remember keith is a scouser, hes trying to wind you up and be funny :laugher: its scouse humor :xxgrinning--00xx3:

just give him a :xxsport-smiley-002:

:yikes: :omg: :yikes: :D

KeithD
27th March 2007, 13:56
i suppose when your 2 kids were born , you could afford them? and you took no 'benefits' ! ?
Cetrainly could afford them, was working full time :xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
27th March 2007, 15:05
We get something like £500.00 a month tax credits..
How long would it take them to find out that I have moved to another country?

LadyJ
27th March 2007, 15:57

Fred, It depends on your case why you moved abroad but you might end up paying them back because you didn't tell them the changes of your circumstances. Read the notes below;

Where you usually live
If your main home throughout your award was in England, Scotland,
Wales or Northern Ireland, you are treated as usually living in the
United Kingdom (UK). This is not affected by short periods abroad
for holidays or on business.
You may still qualify for tax credits if you did not live in the UK but
you were
• a citizen of another country in the European Economic Area (EEA)
(see table aside) or of Switzerland, and you work in the UK, or
• a Crown Servant posted overseas or their accompanying partner, or
• a citizen of
– a country in the European Economic Area (EEA),
(see table aside) including the UK, or
– Switzerland
living in the EEA or Switzerland, and you receive a UK state
pension or contributions-based Jobseeker’s Allowance.
You may not have been entitled to tax credits if your right to enter
or remain in the UK was on the condition that you did not have
recourse to public funds.
To claim Child Tax Credit you must also have a right to reside in the
UK, under either UK or European Community law.
You must tell us within 3 months, if you (or your partner if you
have one, or both of you)

leave the UK permanently
• go abroad for a period of 8 weeks or more. This is extended to
12 weeks if you go, or stay abroad because you, or a member of
your family, is ill or has died
• lose your right to reside in the United Kingdom.
For example, if you are a national of one of the countries that
joined the European Economic Area (EEA) on 1 May 2004 (other
than Cyprus or Malta) you must tell us if you and your partner
lose your job before you have worked in the UK lawfully and
uninterruptedly for 12 months.
If you do not you may be liable to a penalty.

joebloggs
27th March 2007, 16:03

£500 :omg: hehehe i got £560 for a couple of months, but i thought i do the honest and right thnig and tell the gov and save the tax payer money by telling them me little gal woudln't need child care in the school hols as my step son would look after her, so what do they do :censored: it up and decide to give me £96 a month instead :Rasp: :action-smiley-081: i didnt know wether to laugh or cry, have they got chimps using calculator or do they use a random generator, after weeks of calling them, telling them they :censored: up, i mean how can it go from £560 amonth to £96 from me not claiming child care for about 15 days(at £35 a week - only for 1hr in mornings) !!! , they later admitted they got it wrong ! no way, and said i would get £300, caz they been overpaying me :Rasp:

watch them like hawks :peepwall: , they not got a clue :NoNo: neither have i thou :Erm:

proberly never know you gone to pinoyland, anyway they should pay you, cheaper than you claiming dole and all the other benefits, if they pay me £500 a month i'll goto pinoyland tomoz :xxgrinning--00xx3: :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
27th March 2007, 16:08
Fred, It depends on your case why you moved abroad but you might end up paying them back because you didn't tell them the changes of your circumstances. Read the notes below;

Where you usually live
If your main home throughout your award was in England, Scotland,
Wales or Northern Ireland, you are treated as usually living in the
United Kingdom (UK). This is not affected by short periods abroad
for holidays or on business.
You may still qualify for tax credits if you did not live in the UK but
you were
• a citizen of another country in the European Economic Area (EEA)
(see table aside) or of Switzerland, and you work in the UK, or
• a Crown Servant posted overseas or their accompanying partner, or
• a citizen of
– a country in the European Economic Area (EEA),
(see table aside) including the UK, or
– Switzerland
living in the EEA or Switzerland, and you receive a UK state
pension or contributions-based Jobseeker’s Allowance.
You may not have been entitled to tax credits if your right to enter
or remain in the UK was on the condition that you did not have
recourse to public funds.
To claim Child Tax Credit you must also have a right to reside in the
UK, under either UK or European Community law.
You must tell us within 3 months, if you (or your partner if you
have one, or both of you)

leave the UK permanently
• go abroad for a period of 8 weeks or more. This is extended to
12 weeks if you go, or stay abroad because you, or a member of
your family, is ill or has died
• lose your right to reside in the United Kingdom.
For example, if you are a national of one of the countries that
joined the European Economic Area (EEA) on 1 May 2004 (other
than Cyprus or Malta) you must tell us if you and your partner
lose your job before you have worked in the UK lawfully and
uninterruptedly for 12 months.
If you do not you may be liable to a penalty.

whats the penalty ! :Erm: slap on the legs lol, the bring you back to the uk, saves buying a ticket to see your family here :laugher:
looks like you can get 12wks then :xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
27th March 2007, 16:09
Wales! :Erm:

joebloggs
27th March 2007, 16:11
Wales! :Erm:

you would have to pay me at least £5k to goto wales ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:
and 10* that to goto liverpud land :icon_lol:

KeithD
27th March 2007, 19:00
and 10* that to goto liverpud land :icon_lol:
Cheques done boyo.....get packin....and don't forget the vaseline :action-smiley-081: :D