PDA

View Full Version : How do you view your Philippine retirement?

Tawi2
23rd December 2010, 22:20
Ask the majority of guys married to pinays and the dream is always the same,retirement in Pinas?Thats cool providing you've made adequate provision for it(I know one american over there who is currently surviving on 14000 pesos a month thanks to currency fluctuations and bad planning)but whats the end game-plan,just retire over there and thats it?I met an english guy over there several months agp,Ray,he is living in the visayas and has been there for 14 years,he has a great lifestyle but even he told me while theres no going back to Blighty he does get bored on occassion,what do you intend doing to occupy your time?Theres a brit I know who retired to Davao 2 years ago,he is currently back in the UK after being hospitalised in Pinas and finding out just how expensive his treatment was,have you planned long term for such eventualities?Just curious thats all,I have just over 20 years to retirement and I am going to reside somewhere far different from the Philippines,but most reading this will be Pinas bound,are you ready for it?

bornatbirth
24th December 2010, 00:39
im going to go online everyday and pretend to be a very pretty filipina and chat to many foreigners and hope they send me cash via western union or if i win the lotto...im staying in the uk :D

Sim11UK
24th December 2010, 00:50
We're not sure what the plan is? but to be honest, I'd rather live over there soonish, if doing it fulltime.
I don't want to dream away my life, waiting for retirement. :NoNo: Probably better here, when you're older anyway?

The ideal, would be to live part of the year here & part there, chasing the sun...It's sort of possible, but it would all have to be done on a tight budget. We both like the simple life anyway. :sunshine:

My life over here, is probably different to most peoples. I don't have many mod cons, I often feel like I'm a peasant here, chopping wood etc....everything is hard work...but generally I like it.

I suppose this dosen't really answer your question? but it's just a thought. :)

Arthur Little
24th December 2010, 00:53
Ask the majority of guys married to pinays and the dream is always the same,retirement in Pinas? Thats cool providing you've made adequate provision for it.

Not mine! :nono-1-1: I'm already retired ... and reckon I'll stick with 'Good Old Blighty' :Britain: ... for the very reasons you've just mentioned ... but mainly because [as far as I am aware] we are the only country in the world with a National Health Service that can cater for "old crocks" like me! :icon_lol:

Arthur Little
24th December 2010, 01:24
The ideal, would be to live part of the year here & part there, chasing the sun ...

... :iagree:, Simon; that's certainly a temptation!

grahamw48
24th December 2010, 01:32

I dream of it every day....and having the money to cover health costs , etc. :rolleyes:

I'd miss my son too much now though.

Hopefully I'll be there at Easter.

Englishman2010
24th December 2010, 06:28
Official retirement is still 25 years away for me. Like most people I dream of retiring to the sun, but in reality I wouldn't live permanently in Ph, 3 or 4 months to escape the worst of the winter would be perfect for me. There are many reasons why I could never leave Britain full time, kids (future grandkids?, other family, health service, standard of living..etc).
TBH, i actually enjoy my life right now, 3 or 4 trips a year to Ph suits me fine. As long as I can maintain my current standard of living and plan wisely for old age I intend to do the things most people plan to do when they retire now if I can

Sim11UK
24th December 2010, 09:05
Official retirement is still 25 years away for me. Like most people I dream of retiring to the sun, but in reality I wouldn't live permanently in Ph, 3 or 4 months to escape the worst of the winter would be perfect for me. There are many reasons why I could never leave Britain full time, kids (future grandkids?, other family, health service, standard of living..etc).
TBH, i actually enjoy my life right now, 3 or 4 trips a year to Ph suits me fine. As long as I can maintain my current standard of living and plan wisely for old age I intend to do the things most people plan to do when they retire now if I can

What would happen though, if you married your girlfriend, brought her over here & she just couldn't settle? This isn't aimed specifically at you, it's a bit more general. We can't just see things from our own point of view, as our partners miss their homes, family etc....Something that needs to be thought of seriously, if you marry someone from another country & culture? :)

Englishman2010
24th December 2010, 09:37
What would happen though, if you married your girlfriend, brought her over here & she just couldn't settle? This isn't aimed specifically at you, it's a bit more general. We can't just see things from our own point of view, as our partners miss their homes, family etc....Something that needs to be thought of seriously, if you marry someone from another country & culture? :)

That's a very good question Sim, and I have though about it long and hard. However, my children are my number one priority, they still need me for another 15 - 20 years at least. Therefore, leaving the UK for more than 2 or 3 weeks at a time is not an option for a very long time. I agree we should make sacrifices for love if we have to, and there are things I would sacrifice, but not my children. This may sound harsh, but if I was forced to choose between my g/f and my children, I would choose my children. They didn't ask to be born, and it is my responsibility to be there for them and raise them properly. Whatever I want for my own selfish ends is not important.

When they've grown up and don't need me so much, I do plan to spend some time abroad, but not full time. However much I complain about declining standards in Britain, there are numerous reasons why I think it is better to live here than in the Phil's.

England, with all thy faults. I love thee still - My country (William Cowper - The Task 1785)

KeithD
24th December 2010, 09:41
No good for me living there, I need the UK medical care, reliable internet access, and as low humidity as I can get.

joebloggs
24th December 2010, 09:49
i don't think me and the misses will be moving to the phils, shes only started her career in the uk, gets better training and pay than she would in the phils, but hopefully we'll go back to see her family twice a year..

maybe in 20yrs we'll go and move to the phils but til then the UK is her home.

grahamw48
24th December 2010, 10:32
That's a very good question Sim, and I have though about it long and hard. However, my children are my number one priority, they still need me for another 15 - 20 years at least. Therefore, leaving the UK for more than 2 or 3 weeks at a time is not an option for a very long time. I agree we should make sacrifices for love if we have to, and there are things I would sacrifice, but not my children. This may sound harsh, but if I was forced to choose between my g/f and my children, I would choose my children. They didn't ask to be born, and it is my responsibility to be there for them and raise them properly. Whatever I want for my own selfish ends is not important.

When they've grown up and don't need me so much, I do plan to spend some time abroad, but not full time. However much I complain about declining standards in Britain, there are numerous reasons why I think it is better to live here than in the Phil's.

England, with all thy faults. I love thee still - My country (William Cowper - The Task 1785)

Nice sentiments (mine also).

A pity some of the man-hating women and the Judiciary of this country don't appreciate that there are men who truly care about their children. :)

Sim11UK
24th December 2010, 10:34

That's understandable. :)

joebloggs
24th December 2010, 10:38

not much has changed then in more than 200yrs, i wonder if they blamed the labour gov then :icon_lol: ( i know the first labour gov was in the 1920s :D before you all :ReadIt:) :D

Englishman2010
24th December 2010, 10:49
Nice sentiments (mine also).

A pity some of the man-hating women and the Judiciary of this country don't appreciate that there are men who truly care about their children. :)

:xxgrinning--00xx3:Well said Graham

stevewool
24th December 2010, 11:45
its a dream off many , me too one day would love to be there ,the problem is when and how much have you , i know i dont want to end up here freezing wondering if i can afford to live here, so at this preasent time we are saving hard and hoping one day to be over in the phils , but who knows really, its still a great dream to have :)

jimeve
24th December 2010, 11:46
Retirement in the Philippines is my dream, have plenty of time to think about it at present, no work, its a seasonal thing. I usually go back to fils this time of year for 2 or 3 months, but wife has work. The only deal breaker for me is the NHS. Will have to save £30000 to put in a time deposit account for emergency's, such as health/medical care. I have officially 9 years and 3 months to retirement.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

bornatbirth
24th December 2010, 12:05
the cost of and lack of heatlh care seems to be the deal breaker...anyone would be foolish to not giving this any thought and making provision for just in case :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Englishman2010
24th December 2010, 13:28
the cost of and lack of heatlh care seems to be the deal breaker...anyone would be foolish to not giving this any thought and making provision for just in case :xxgrinning--00xx3:

That's probably the biggest problem with going to a country with no reciprocal arrangements with the UK. It's probably not an issue when you're young, fit and healthy, but as you get older and things start to go wrong, it can be very expensive.

jonnijon
24th December 2010, 14:16
http://www.bupa-intl.com/facilities-finder
This might help some.

Doc Alan
24th December 2010, 14:21
Completely agree :xxgrinning--00xx3:That's why I started a thread 3 months ago entitled "When a relative falls ill" . Search health insurance.

fred
24th December 2010, 15:17
Retired from the B.S in the UK when I was 44...Will be back in UK when its time for kids to start GCSE course which to be honest will be the biggest sacrifice I have ever made.. Absolutely dreading it..:Help1:
Then its back again and retirement the sequel and happy ever after.. Love it here!
The R.P is certainly not for everyone but then neither is the UK.:NoNo:

Terpe
24th December 2010, 18:08
My original plan was to retire in Japan.
I worked hard towards that goal...then met my wife (in Japan) and my plan then changed slightly to a new retirement goal of 6 months Japan and 6 months
Philippines.

We both worked hard towards that goal... then my mum and dad (in UK) had health
problems and my brother (in Spain) had personal problems, so our plan changed again.

The problem with travelling half way round the world all the time is cost. As many
people here know.It's just not sustainable.
So we decided to relocate to UK for a few years. My mother and my brother both passed away.
We now live in UK with my father. I did retire early and am now his full time carer.

My father is 90 years old. Severely disabled, heart problems and a number of stokes.
I see him everyday clinging to life. He can only sit in his armchair and watch Sky sports.
Right now, in my mind, when I look at him, this is not a any kind of life. Certainly not
any kind of life I would want. Maybe If I did end up like that I would also cling to life
but I don't think so.

So we are both concentrating on our goal to live in the Philippines for good. Mainly this means ensuring we have enough in our emergency fund.
Also making sure that Carina has enough qualifying years for her UK state pension. Well at least some of it.

My job in Japan and my family responsibilities in UK have kept my wife far from her family for long enough. She has adapted well to different cultures and is always positive.

We live the best life we can. We pretty much do what we want.

I don't want to paint too bleak a picture, but look, as Fred stated, UK is not for everyone.
I spent over 30yrs years travelling around the world. (and having the time of my life) and lost touch a little with UK life.
Phils is my place, it's where my family live.

I don't get too hung up on on the 'free' NHS. I have my medical fund and I will have my
medical insurance. I also have my pensions.
UK WILL have some hard times ahead. There's no doubt. The NHS will change. Just how it will operate in 3 years, 5 years or 10 years time nobody can predict. I have my first hand experience of how the UK system handles old people now.

So what am I really saying?

Life changes. Sometimes good and sometimes not good. In our planning we need to think flexibly.
Especially as we get older. We need to think differently.
There comes a point when retirement planning becomes so important. Even we need to live for today.
As for me, I do not want to imagine that my wife will spend all our hard earned money keeping me alive for a 'non-life' (as I see my dad now).

Better she will buy a shovel.

So I am ready and looking foward to my eventual retirement life in the Philippines.
Whatever that may be.
Just can't wait for another life.
As Alfred E Newman would say 'What me worry'

stevewool
24th December 2010, 18:26
terpe as ever a very nice heart warming thread , what you say is so simple, its life, i am sure that many are right in what they say about the health service and you better have enough insurance too, but we cant all think that is the reason to be here , i dont , i am sure that being in the phils with emma and the sunshine will improve my life for the better, here the rat race is getting worse everyday and the stress that causes too, i know i am getting older i feel it everyday but 90% of that is work/stress take that away and i should feel better, i do understand that we need our health, but i need to feel happy with what i have and want too, so for the next few years i will still be dreaming and saving hard still then who knows, its always good reading your comments terpe, happy christmas:)

Tawi2
24th December 2010, 18:45
We are here for a good time,not a long time,which has always been my dictum :) Well,a mixed bag of responses,at least they are a lot more realistic than I expected,some guys who have spent 2-3 weeks a year on vacation in Pinas think its a paradisical palm-tree fringed idyll,its not to be honest,Fred and several others are adaptable,I have met guys who became borderline alcoholics unable to function unless they breakfast on San-migs,met other retirees who revert to childhood and chase teenage girls :rolleyes:the plcae has its problems the same as anywhere else,its just sometimes they are hidden by the smoke and mirrors,remember the Pinoy population is set to double within 25-30 years,things will change for better or worse,good luck to everyone with the cojones to at least try and live their own personal dreams ;)

AdamB
24th December 2010, 19:20
Curious re 6months here and over phil's

I was considering doing motorcycle instructor course and becoming 1 full time/ own business.

And driving Lgv for agency during winter period.

This just give's me something else to think about and i wonder if i should change my plans.

Yes i know im still single but got to think ahead.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

regards
adam

grahamw48
24th December 2010, 20:31
For a few years I used to work on construction sites (mostly plant operating and tunnelling) for half the year, and the other half in the Phils.

The longest time I've lived in the Phils continuously was 2000-2003, but started living there for months at a time in 1990.

Obviously gets tougher as you get older, and now as a single parent my son's education has to take priority, so wanderings temporarily halted. :)

mindanao
25th December 2010, 01:33
woman's perspective...

After reading the responses to this thread, i noticed the Men are seriously talking on the pros and cons of their eventual retirement on the basis of comfort, adaptability and financial security when retirement comes.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Also making sure that Carina has enough qualifying years for her UK state pension. Well at least some of it.:xxgrinning--00xx3: Great to know that men also consider the wife's retirement plans.

purple
26th December 2010, 13:56
Like what some says here in the forum. Phils is not for everyone so is your home country.

Just make sure that you got everything planned well. Doing business and "trying living" in the Phils in straight 5 years first before you decide to retire in this country and what will happen if you are to spend the rest of your life.

Some people will make that kind of decision just because they are in love with the tropics but disregard some facts that may be encountered in the future. TBH my stepfather never heard of the Phils. till he met my mum at Doha. He came here 3 times on 2-3 months holiday and decided to retire here.

There has been ups and downs due to bad investments, plus he hasn't seen any other Southeast Asian countries before nor have explored the country that much because he is happy enough with my mum.

Looking at this facts and in behalf of my husband who also looking forward and hopefully spend long years here in the Phils might be a good eye opener to everyone.

Do a good research as to what you really need to live on or want to have that luxury in life. You can be lucky and sometimes not. Moving to a different country is like a gamble, unless you got everything planned

But then again, the system can change, it can be for better or worse.

Truly the health system in the Phils is worse but hope in the next 5 years there will some difference. Plus the laws is not so pro-foreigners... so better get some investments back home and plan your retirements carefully.

grahamw48
26th December 2010, 14:32
A wife IS my retirement plan. :icon_lol:

joebloggs
26th December 2010, 15:02

:xxgrinning--00xx3: thats mine to :icon_lol:

6yrs younger than me, already earning * 2 my pay, i've just got to last long enough to be aorund to spend it :icon_lol:

Terpe
26th December 2010, 17:07

:icon_lol::icon_lol: Nice one Graham :xxgrinning--00xx3:

aposhark
28th December 2010, 00:52

I am in the same boat as Englishman2010 and I agree with this 100% :xxgrinning--00xx3:
My wife, now a mother, can see the benefit of the NHS.
The stress of UK life can be a silent killer though, my wife is not comfortable with the amount of hours at work that I do.
This makes for many conversations about "living in Phils".
John Lennon said "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans".

fred
28th December 2010, 03:25
Quite liked Graham's comment too..
But dont forget...Whats good for the Goose!!...... and Remember the Filipina`s 4 M`s for a successful marriage!!

matandang mayamang malapit ng mamatay :icon_lol:

Tawi2
28th December 2010, 10:51
matandang mayamang malapit ng mamatay
:icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
28th December 2010, 11:09
Quite liked Graham's comment too..
But dont forget...Whats good for the Goose!!...... and Remember the Filipina`s 4 M`s for a successful marriage!!

matandang mayamang malapit ng mamatay :icon_lol:

mmmm. :Erm:

Tawi2
28th December 2010, 11:17
matandang mayamang malapit ng mamatay
Rich old man who is nearing death,its just a pinay joke(or sometimes not:icon_lol:).;)

grahamw48
28th December 2010, 12:14
Nearing death possibly.

Rich ? NO.:NoNo:

stevewool
28th December 2010, 20:32
me too but rich in dreams :):)

mattwilkie
28th December 2010, 21:50
From the last 3 years ive gained a lot of experience and knowledge about not only what I do but what other people are doing here in Cebu. For example the community in CDO is a lot more social than in Cebu city with their own events etc. There have been multiple suicides as well as murders and marriage breakups and generally I think a lot of it is down to many of the Expats who come here. The reality is a lot more severe than many imagine when they setup their dream retirement or move to the Philippines the biggest one being getting bored.. Many people will want to setup businesses to support or fund early retirement or the move but its got to have around a 90% fail rate due to the protective government issues aswell as corruption.

Is it all bleak? answer is no.. you have the sun, you can have the life you want but you have to be prepared for things people don't normally take into account such as inflation and currency devaluation. Business wise setup it up there! best business are done offshore anyway as the people I know making a fortune here have been here over a decade but I have met a lot more who went broke within months. Key is to work out what you really want in life if you just want to sit out life in a sub division and watch the sunrise thats fine but many others get socially disconnected due to location of choice. So would strongly advise getting some hobbies and some of them may even assist the retirement such as gardening which will also allow food to grow. Permaculture and aquaponics are a hobby of mine I am trying to get started properly here to assist food not only for ourselves but to introduce into poor areas.
Anyway enough of a rant..lol But would say expect the unexpected as it often rears its head.:Jump:

mattwilkie
28th December 2010, 22:14
After 3 years and running multiple businesses here I would say its possible to make money in the Philippines but its not easy.. Haven't had any businesses go sour yet but have been close a few times. Biggest issue is "time" as in the UK everything is related to speed and X = Y = Profit doesnt work in the Philippines as things like happy mediums such as local newspapers or TV / radio for advertisements of a new business doesnt mean a thing as most of the people I know here don't use any of them except to watch junk TV Shows. In reality its word of mouth and that takes months over weeks, building the business can happen eventually but too many people assume they can invest and sit on their backside or they can expect a return quickly neither will happen. Reasons businesses fail :-
1. no experience.
2. Staff thefts.
3. Corruption.
4. Lack of interest from owner just wanting a return on investment.
5. Expectations set to high compared to possibilities.

Retirement is different though as I would advise if you can retire forget business! its just a headache. Many people think they will rent spare rooms out but from the people I know doing it they will tell you its more hassle than its worth. Learn to live in a budget you can afford if not dont retire yet.. If you have several years to go before doing it start finding things to invest in and put some away every month.

Yes I know I go against my own advice on most things but thats generally me.. as I look to exploit the situation where possible. Asia is a lot harder than the UK when it comes to business as they simply dont want you here. At the same time its the opportunity to do something different.

subseastu
29th December 2010, 18:02
Nice one Matt some very solid advise.

stevewool
29th December 2010, 18:16
i am sure many could and would budget to make there dreams , a garden is a must for me what ever the size and like you say grow what you eat and give so much away too, , work hard save hard here and who knows what may happen

grahamw48
29th December 2010, 21:35
Supervising the building of our 2 storey 4 bed house/restaurant/shop, with roof garden on top that I'd designed on the computer. (The low wall at the front was temporary):

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/5738/buildingourhouse.jpg

grahamw48
29th December 2010, 21:55
No doubt I'd also be breeding birds like last time I lived there...and making a living from it. :)

beppe
30th December 2010, 06:46
This is not a good idea for me, am doing just fine here. The weather in the Philippines does not appeal me at all, too hot. Different culture, different lifestyle make me wonder.

stevewool
30th December 2010, 08:44
not everything suits everyone thats why we all are differant but keep the ideas coming in , would you want to leave where you are know anyway