PDA

View Full Version : Brian Hanrahan ...

Arthur Little
21st December 2010, 01:39
... BBC correspondent - who first rose to prominence for his coverage of the Falklands Campaign in 1982 - has sadly :bigcry: died of cancer at the age of sixty-one.

stevewool
21st December 2010, 02:45
a very nice man,

alanmf1
21st December 2010, 02:54
Rest in Peace.......:Wave:

Terpe
21st December 2010, 13:25
I really enjoyed Brian Hanharan's work over the years
I also recall his reportsing of the Falklands War in 1982.
His now famous words "I counted them all out and I counted them all back" was done
on board one of our ships. He wasn't allowed to give any indications of the actual
number of planes taking off or comming back and came up with that phrase.

Only 61.Too young.

Englishman2010
21st December 2010, 13:43
A real shame, 61 is far too young.

Doc Alan
21st December 2010, 15:53
He died from bowel cancer, 4/5 cases occurring over the age of 60, common both in the UK and the Philippines. There's a strong link with diet (too much fat, too little fibre). The good news ? (since it's Christmas) - detection at an early stage is likely to cure. That's why screening of 60-69 year olds has been introduced in UK, sadly too late for Brian Hanrahan.

mickcant
21st December 2010, 15:59
He died from bowel cancer, 4/5 cases occurring over the age of 60, common both in the UK and the Philippines. There's a strong link with diet (too much fat, too little fibre). The good news ? (since it's Christmas) - detection at an early stage is likely to cure. That's why screening of 60-69 year olds has been introduced in UK, sadly too late for Brian Hanrahan.

Hi Doc Alan,:Wave:
I am 66 and do not think I have been screened, should I ask at the surgery?
Mick.:cwm24:

Doc Alan
21st December 2010, 16:25
I am 66 and do not think I have been screened, should I ask at the surgery?

GP's are not directly involved (it's "do it yourself", as explained in the invitation letter which by now you should have received). However they are notified when invitations are being sent to their area, so it could be worth asking in case you have been missed out. Because it's a screening test the results are normal in 98% of cases. www.cancerscreening.nhs.uk

Englishman2010
21st December 2010, 16:43
GP's are not directly involved (it's "do it yourself", . www.cancerscreening.nhs.uk

Do it yourself endoscopy or colonoscopy:yikes: Now how do i fit my camcorder on the end of the garden hose:omg:

mickcant
21st December 2010, 17:08
GP's are not directly involved (it's "do it yourself", as explained in the invitation letter which by now you should have received). However they are notified when invitations are being sent to their area, so it could be worth asking in case you have been missed out. Because it's a screening test the results are normal in 98% of cases. www.cancerscreening.nhs.uk

Thanks Doc Alan, I cant rember anything about it so will check up in the new year:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Mick.:)

Doc Alan
21st December 2010, 17:21
Do it yourself endoscopy or colonoscopy:yikes: Now how do i fit my camcorder on the end of the garden hose:omg:
It's Christmas Ian so I wasn't going into detail on the forum, but I'm not talking about endoscopy or colonoscopy :NoNo: I'm referring to "FOB" testing (faecal occult blood), meaning taking your own samples of poo, and sending them in the supplied containers to be analysed for traces of blood ( which COULD be a sign of a benign growth / polyp OR cancer). Only if those samples were positive would the person be invited for further testing such as endoscopy / colonoscopy.

Englishman2010
21st December 2010, 17:35
I wouldn't worry about talking about poo Doc, one of the other threads is going down the direction of discussing toilet habits when in the Phil's:icon_lol:

Terpe
21st December 2010, 18:44
I wouldn't worry about talking about poo Doc, one of the other threads is going down the direction of discussing toilet habits when in the Phil's:icon_lol:

Yep I saw those posts too :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Dedworth
21st December 2010, 18:50
I was shocked to hear yesterday of his passing. A good correspondent and decent guy.

Terpe
22nd December 2010, 16:05

This is so strange.
I just recently reached 60, and today I received my letter. I will get my DIY kit in a couple of weeks.
Good job I saw this info here, or I may have worried.

Doc Alan
22nd December 2010, 18:42
Good job I saw this info here, or I may have worried.
I'm happy you read my intentionally brief posts. Brian Hanrahan's premature death has drawn attention on the forum to a common cancer for which regular screening is now known to reduce the risk of dying by 16%.
However I don't think a few days before Christmas, and this thread, is the best time and place to say more about a cancer which is strongly linked to lifestyle and diet here in the UK, the Philippines, and elsewhere in the world.
There is much information on the internet. However, some of it is unreliable! ( A report quoted recently on the forum linked reduction in size of certain brain structures - understandably obscure to most people - to cannabis consumption, without mentioning that alcohol has the same effect!).
Possibly in the New Year I will give a short and readable account of bowel cancer which does not only affect over 60's !

gWaPito
23rd December 2010, 00:20
I had an unpleasant experience back in July. I had to have mine inspected. The doctor said with a smile and a glint in his eye,'it wont hurt, just a little uncomfortable' well bugger if it wasn't. I heard the snap of the rubber glove going on so, I thought, here goes, hang on to your hat and think of England. Well, uncomfortable it wasn't, painful it was! It felt more like a fist as opposed to his middle finger going in. What concerned me most, was he had both hands on my shoulders!

Arthur Little
23rd December 2010, 01:33
What concerned me most, was he had both hands on my shoulders!

:cwm24: ... was he a contortionist? :D

Arthur Little
23rd December 2010, 01:45
well bugger me if it wasn't.

:nono-1-1: ... don't think he'd be doing that, surely! :rolleyes:

bornatbirth
24th December 2010, 01:12
I had an unpleasant experience back in July. I had to have mine inspected. The doctor said with a smile and a glint in his eye,'it wont hurt, just a little uncomfortable' well bugger if it wasn't. I heard the snap of the rubber glove going on so, I thought, here goes, hang on to your hat and think of England. Well, uncomfortable it wasn't, painful it was! It felt more like a fist as opposed to his middle finger going in. What concerned me most, was he had both hands on my shoulders!

your in the wrong forum :icon_lol:

Sim11UK
24th December 2010, 01:20

:icon_lol: That was funny

Arthur Little
24th December 2010, 01:32
:icon_lol: That was funny

Not for him, it wasn't :NoNo: ... "Ouch!"