PDA

View Full Version : Nation's Favourite Abba Song

Arthur Little
20th December 2010, 21:24
Tonight ... all will be revealed. From their "genesis" in 1974 ... thru' to the 1980s and beyond, the Swedish group released 25 'Singles' - no fewer than nine of which reached the top of the UK's hit parade! Following a poll, the most popular of those - and possibly more - will be heard in a 90-minute Special at 8.30 on ITV. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:sorry-2: about the rather short notice ... I've only just found out meself! So ... as they say in Perth: "See ya la'er" ...

les_taxi
20th December 2010, 21:33
Can't see it listed?

Englishman2010
20th December 2010, 21:40
Thanks for the heads up Arthur.......I think I will sit and watch my finger nails grow instead:icon_lol:

les_taxi
20th December 2010, 21:45
it's not on my ITV lol:icon_lol:
oh well i will watch city go top of premier league (not):icon_lol:

Terpe
20th December 2010, 22:01
Gotta be 'Dancing Queen' :REDancedancer08:

les_taxi
20th December 2010, 22:02
"One of us":xxgrinning--00xx3:My fav but yes has to be dancing queen as no1

Terpe
20th December 2010, 22:05
My theme song 'Winner Takes It All':veryhappy:

raynaputi
20th December 2010, 22:21
i like the "The Winner Takes It All" too! and also "Take A Chance On Me", "Mamma Mia", "I Have A Dream", and "Thank You For The Music".. :D :Cuckoo:

bornatbirth
20th December 2010, 22:46
dancing queen...my life story :icon_lol:

Arthur Little
21st December 2010, 00:26
:sorry-2: about the rather short notice ... I've only just found out meself! So ... as they say in Perth: "See ya la'er" ...

... and the winner izzz ... well ... whadaya know ... none other than 'The Winner Takes It All' ... surprise, surprise!! And it IS a surprise [to me at any rate!] ... with 'Dancing Queen', a close second. Third, was 'The Day Before You Came' (one of their few rather boring recordings - and hence never really a favourite of mine!) Nor was 'Voulez Vous', I might add. But the others were good ... during the rare occasions the "snippets" they played could actually be HEARD in between - and, over the infuriating sound of - the constant babbling that [rudely] interrupted the programme throughout. :omg: ... I'm in mortal danger of becoming known as 'Dedworth Mark II' - whose posts I don't mind admitting to (sometimes) having a sneaking admiration for! :doh

What would I have chosen? :anerikke: Difficult to say! I liked 'Fernando' ... which I think sounds best sung in Spanish (even though I'm not familiar with the language) and 'I Have A Dream' is [usually] always beautifully sung, and was a particular favourite of my late first wife's.

Arthur Little
21st December 2010, 00:56
it's not on my ITV lol :icon_lol:

Nah :NoNo: ... according to Google's Television and Radio Guide - which, I've noticed before, tends to be based on transmissions in London and the South - ITV1 HD was screening a sentimental drama entitled 'Come Rain, Come Shine' featuring David Jason & Alison Steadman. I had actually earmarked this particular programme ... and was really looking forward to watching it! So ... naturally, I was more than a little disappointed when I discovered it wasn't being shown in Scotland. Hence my "last minute" mention of Abba. Same thing happened yesterday evening with another interesting-looking production called 'The Attonement', I'd wanted to see also. Grr! :D = Wailing and gnashing of teeth!!!

grahamw48
21st December 2010, 01:23
Their music just makes me feel old. :cwm3:

Arthur Little
21st December 2010, 01:47

On the contrary, Graham :rolleyes: ... it makes me forget my biological age :olddude: each time I listen to their music!

stevewool
21st December 2010, 02:49
makes me think i am young and disco dancing again love them all the film was crap though

Arthur Little
21st December 2010, 03:42
makes me think i am young and disco dancing again love them all the film was crap though

Aye, Steve ... you'd be a 16-year-old teenager at the time Abba won the 1974 Eurovision Song Contest with 'Waterloo'! :icon_lol:

Terpe
21st December 2010, 12:35
.....Abba won the 1974 Eurovision Song Contest with 'Waterloo'! :icon_lol:

Ah, remember it so well. Great song (at the time).
Oh boy, did I have a crush on the blond (Agnetha Fältskog)
Especially in those tight blue trousers :D

les_taxi
21st December 2010, 15:56
Ah, remember it so well. Great song (at the time).
Oh boy, did I have a crush on the blond (Agnetha Fältskog)
Especially in those tight blue trousers :D

why were you wearing tight blue trousers?:yikes::icon_lol:

aposhark
21st December 2010, 16:15
I liked "Paranoid".
All long hair, but no tight blue trousers on show though :yikes:
It was them who did that, wasn't it? :icon_lol:

Englishman2010
21st December 2010, 16:48

Graham, you are:laugher:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
21st December 2010, 17:05
why were you wearing tight blue trousers?:yikes::icon_lol:

:icon_lol::icon_lol:
Very crushing they were too.

grahamw48
21st December 2010, 22:51
Graham, you are:laugher:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself:xxgrinning--00xx3:

:Rasp:

Ok, I'll post a pic from 1975 then, when funnily enough I was a Area Sales Manager for a major record label, and got all my music free of charge. :D

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/3551/grahamaged23.jpg

Even I was young once. :)

macculumsean
29th December 2010, 13:54
was it on ITV ?
i had not seen it , or i missed it ?

Alan
29th December 2010, 14:05
Two for me - as a musician I go for arrangement - 'Slipping through my fingers' and 'Andante Andante.'

Al.:)

mindanao
30th December 2010, 12:28
"i have a dream " and the "the winner takes it all" for me:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
1st January 2011, 12:32
Not a fan of Abba to be honest. Favourite song?....... :Erm: Probably 'Knowing Me, Knowing You' if I had to choose one.

filipinogirl
14th March 2011, 14:22
Hard choice but "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)" and "Fernando". :)