PDA

View Full Version : How the Finn's keep their airports open in winter

Englishman2010
20th December 2010, 19:15
A lesson from our Scandinavian friends

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12042213

RickyR
21st December 2010, 04:20
Should the UK airports invest in this? If they'd done it during the last real big snow storms in the 80's, then we'd have had 20 year old equipment for this weather.
On the other hand we've now in the last 18 months had three large snow storms which have left the airports paralysed.
It's a difficult decisions which airports in the UK and Northern Europe have to come up with. Will the cost of buying and maintaining the equipment send airfares skyrocketing?
Will there be any more snow, is it worth it for a few days a year of snow?
Tough call for BAA.

KeithD
21st December 2010, 12:52
Remember, if they do invest in all that you're tickets will go up a fair bit, but they do need to find a middle line. What should happen if anyone has a few spare £Million is a company sets up with the equipment, and they shift it around to airports who need it, or the highest bidder :D .... they'll have problems getting some of the stuff in but it'd quicken up the problems we have now...... anyone got Donald Trumps number? :rolleyes:

Englishman2010
21st December 2010, 13:10
The total cost of buying and maintaining the equipment spread over the number of passengers over a year would only add a couple of quid to a ticket price. I would be happy to pay a bit more if I could be guaranteed that my flights would take off and land regardless of the weather. I bet if you ask the thousands of people stuck in airports now if they would have paid an extra few quide to make sure they could take off on time the answer would be a resounding YES

Dedworth
21st December 2010, 19:01
Should the UK airports invest in this? If they'd done it during the last real big snow storms in the 80's, then we'd have had 20 year old equipment for this weather.

And for most of that time it could have been kept safely mothballed, in prime condition under wraps ready for use if required. I went round MoD depots in the late 90's and there were unused 30 year old Landrover engines under wrap. Still it makes more sense for BAA to rent out acres of perimeter land for carparks than have a small hanger full of stored gear.

Time they were re-nationalised.

Arthur might be able to tell us if RAF Leuchars & Lossiemouth have ever been closed by snow :)

Arthur Little
22nd December 2010, 03:14
Arthur might be able to tell us if RAF Leuchars & Lossiemouth have ever been closed by snow :)

Not sure, to be honest :NoNo: ... but, interestingly, :rolleyes: the Government is pursuing a review of UK military bases that could see RAF Leuchars transformed into a *Commercial Airport - working in tandem with [or replacing] the *one at Riverside, Dundee - thereby having the knock-on effect of saving Lossiemouth, which has recently been under threat of closure.

RickyR
22nd December 2010, 03:52
But here is what will happen, they'll invest in a load of equipment, and will you'll use it all once more, then have another 10 years without heavy snow where its just left. The 23 year old uni grad accountants will say, why on earth have we got all these assets lying around depreciating with increased maintenance costs when we don't need them. Then the old maintenance guys who've been there 10 years+ and still remember the big freeze of 2010 will try to explain that we really need it, but will be just ignored as a bunch of old farts. Then in 2025 another big snow falll hits and all the same happens again.
Well thats what my crystal ball says anyway!

KeithD
22nd December 2010, 09:37
And for most of that time it could have been kept safely mothballed, in prime condition under wraps ready for use if required. I went round MoD depots in the late 90's and there were unused 30 year old Landrover engines under wrap. Still it makes more sense for BAA to rent out acres of perimeter land for carparks than have a small hanger full of stored gear.

I take it with all this critism of others not being ready for the conditions you are? Blanket/sleeping bag in the car, snow tyres, snow chain, plenty of fluids/food, full tank of petrol every time you go out, snow shovel, your own salt/grit, you clear the area in front of your house/road..... If not, don't tell others what to do until you've done it yourself.

Dedworth
22nd December 2010, 10:25
I take it with all this critism of others not being ready for the conditions you are? Blanket/sleeping bag in the car, snow tyres, snow chain, plenty of fluids/food, full tank of petrol every time you go out, snow shovel, your own salt/grit, you clear the area in front of your house/road..... If not, don't tell others what to do until you've done it yourself.

I am better prepared than some but you are diverting this thread to personal preparation away from the national disgrace which is Heathrow Airport.

Area outside house cleared plus own rock salt. Cars fully fuelled with shovel which I used on Saturday to aid parking. No snow tyres, chains or food & blankets in /on car though but would do food & blankets if travelling out of immediate local habitated area.

How's your preparations ? Is the freezer stocked, alternative heating arrangements.................??

KeithD
22nd December 2010, 10:56
I have an electric generator, freezers full, but always is, enough to last a month, all paths cleared around the house, and everything else I mentioned, but then I'm not the one critizing others for being unprepared whereas you are :rolleyes: ...... if you don't fully invest yourself for a few days snow a year, why should anyone else? :doh

Dedworth
22nd December 2010, 11:25
I have an electric generator, freezers full, but always is, enough to last a month, all paths cleared around the house, and everything else I mentioned, but then I'm not the one critizing others for being unprepared whereas you are :rolleyes: ...... if you don't fully invest yourself for a few days snow a year, why should anyone else? :doh

As I said I was criticising the airports lack of preparation not peoples personal set up's which have absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the airport operating companies have messed up many thousands of UK and International travellers :doh

In your book I might not have "fully" invested but in mine for my locality I have - I'll revise my plans if I relocate to the North Yorks Moors