PDA

View Full Version : Dead Slow & Stop

Arthur Little
14th December 2010, 13:21
Don't know if - or how many - others have experienced this? :rolleyes: But ... ever since the recent heavy snowfalls, my internet connection has been particularly sluggish!

stevie c
14th December 2010, 13:40
I have had the same problem as you have sir arthur its very frustrating :NoNo:

Steve.r
14th December 2010, 14:34
The ice on the lines slows it down :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevie c
14th December 2010, 14:38
thanks steve i was thinking of re formatting i wont bother now i know it is probably down to the ice on the lines:xxgrinning--00xx3:

jimeve
14th December 2010, 15:13
I've got cable, so I'm all right jack :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
14th December 2010, 15:24
The ice on the lines slows it down :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Knowing this country it's probably the wrong kind of ice :D

Steve.r
14th December 2010, 15:28
thanks steve i was thinking of re formatting i wont bother now i know it is probably down to the ice on the lines:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Anything to help buddy Steve :icon_lol:

stevewool
14th December 2010, 16:18
mine is working fantastic now i have a new charger, i wonder if the snow caused that to stop working too:rolleyes:

Englishman2010
14th December 2010, 18:11
Mine's been like that for about 4 months Arthur, but that is down to Talk Talk being crap. I never had a problem when I was on Sky Broadband, I can't wait for my contract to expire so I can go back to Sky.

Arthur Little
14th December 2010, 19:16
Mine's been like that for about 4 months Arthur, but that is down to Talk Talk being crap. I never had a problem when I was on Sky Broadband, I can't wait for my contract to expire so I can go back to Sky.

Hmm ... could well be, Ian. Not that I'm disputing what the three Steves believe might be the cause. :NoNo: But I used to be with Tiscali - which was taken over by [or merged with, TalkTalk - not sure which!] - since when I've noticed the service has deteriorated considerably :rolleyes: ... in spite of my receiving a barrage of emails from the latter about so-called "improvements"! For 'two pins' I'd change right now ... were it not for the hassle involved. :doh

mickcant
14th December 2010, 22:38
Hi Arthur,:Wave:
Have you tried doing a speed test, there are lots of web sites that do them.
I will look for some and post later:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Mick.

JimOttley
15th December 2010, 15:23
Try the speedtest here http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk and post the two numbers that it arrives at once it's finished Arthur.

For example bbmax gives us a download speed here at work of 24852 kbps and upload speed of 3926 kbps your numbers will be much smaller than these.

mickcant
15th December 2010, 15:39
Hi all,
I just used the link on my connection.
I have 6550 kbps down and 352 up.
It would be intresting to see how this compairs with others broadband.
Mine too seems a bit slow to me!:ReadIt:

Jim your connection at work is fantistic:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Mick.:)

bornatbirth
15th December 2010, 15:44
the speed you get on those tests is miss leading, there are many reasons why you may have a poor connection, try phoning talktalk first and tell them.

i have the same internet as arthur and it as improved just lately for some reason :D

Steve.r
15th December 2010, 17:22
At work out IT gurus uses www.speedtest.net I guess the same thing as above.

JimOttley
15th December 2010, 17:42
Mick that is the raw streaming speed that you are getting right now specifically from the bbmax servers, 6550 is pretty good to be honest and 352 up is not bad.

We run several bonded lines which is why we get that kind of speed, beyond a certain point the link you have does not improve the real observed download speed because you may be exceeding the available bandwidth of the specific site you are trying to connect to.

For example the other day I was trying to connect to Amazon from home and it just was not having it however most of the rest of the net was working fine, reason was that Amazon was subject to a Distributed Denial of Service attack from a botnet.

If the raw numbers on that test are very low then you really have got a basic bandwidth problem however if the numbers are, like yours, pretty reasonable, then the chances are that the problem lies with the servers of the sites you are trying to connect too.

In addition if the sites you are trying to connect to make heavy use of JavaScript then you will get much better results by using a browser like Google Chrome, the current Microsoft Internet Explorer is a resource hog, a poor JavaScript interpreter and often feels very sluggish for me at least.

My personal connection at home gets speeds of 17000 kbps and 990 kbps on that test. But it's still slow on some sites

mickcant
15th December 2010, 18:19
Thank you very much Jim:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Mick:)

RickyR
16th December 2010, 03:54
Snow, what snow? I've just been outside and checked and its 28 degrees.

KeithD
16th December 2010, 15:40
Snowing here now.... gone from raing to everything is now white in 1/2hr :angry:

alanmf1
16th December 2010, 15:41
Snow, what snow? I've just been outside and checked and its 28 degrees.

:omg:...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

somebody
19th December 2010, 18:59
Worth having a look at your ADSL Filter how long have you had it? Like others say SPeed tests dont always help much im pretty sure some ISP's ensure the test run smoothly ;)

Most likely Arthur Sir, its down to higher demand, simply people at home. Many will be working from home where they log in via their company laptop and of course People even if they cant work from home or Children at school will of course be browsing the internet when normally they be out of the home. Also the many people who now have smartphones will have their mobile smartphones connecting to wlan rather than their normal GPRS/3g signal as at home all of which sucks up more demand.

Id second Jim regarding Browsers it does make a massive difference. As will of course what computer protection you have set up and running as some will make it appear your Internet connection is slower when open webpages and downloading.

PLus you did say Talk Talk:rolleyes: Never been a customer of CPW apart from the odd PAYG phone so its unlocked but having recently had an insight in to their setup im amazed they mange to function at all..

bornatbirth
20th December 2010, 01:22
i guess when CPW brought out tiscali it keep most of there setup, so the only change is the name :Erm: