PDA

View Full Version : Facebook and Twitter plus other fail Basic Security Test

somebody
8th November 2010, 20:58
With more and more people putting so much of their lives online on various sites he is worth keeping an eye on which ones are safe or what you might need to do to ensure your safe..

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/facebook-and-twitter-fail-basic-security-test/

This is part of the reason why many of those interested in Computing use Gmail due to the strong security...

Englishman2010
8th November 2010, 21:08
Thanks for posting that, I'm not sure that I actually understand what any of it means:NoNo:
By luck rather than judgement my personal and business e-mail is via GMail, although I do have a yahoo e-mail address for access to YM.
As far as FB goes, the only people who I suspect would be remotely interested in seeing who I chat to are my ex wife and ex girlfriend. I don't put any sensitive info on there anyway. Lets be honest, do you really want FB friends who you have never met or not seen for 30+ years really knowing all of your business and contact details? I don't so I don't put it on there.
TBH if someone really wants to hack into my FB and see photo's of my cars and holidays, good luck to them, but I could save them the trouble and e-mail them to them or add them as a friend if they asked me nicely:icon_lol:

Dedworth
8th November 2010, 21:11
One of the reasons I've never subscribed to any so called "social networking" sites

joebloggs
8th November 2010, 21:20
One of the reasons I've never subscribed to any so called "social networking" sites

is another reason you have no friends ? :yikes:

:xxparty-smiley-004:

:D

Terpe
8th November 2010, 21:21

:yikes::yikes::laugher:

joebloggs
8th November 2010, 21:29
dedworth is big enuff to take a joke :Wave:,
in fact when he first joined some people didn't get on with him, but now many of those like him now :grouphug:

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

somebody
8th November 2010, 21:37
Thanks for posting that, I'm not sure that I actually understand what any of it means:NoNo:
By luck rather than judgement my personal and business e-mail is via GMail, although I do have a yahoo e-mail address for access to YM.
As far as FB goes, the only people who I suspect would be remotely interested in seeing who I chat to are my ex wife and ex girlfriend. I don't put any sensitive info on there anyway. Lets be honest, do you really want FB friends who you have never met or not seen for 30+ years really knowing all of your business and contact details? I don't so I don't put it on there.
TBH if someone really wants to hack into my FB and see photo's of my cars and holidays, good luck to them, but I could save them the trouble and e-mail them to them or add them as a friend if they asked me nicely:icon_lol:

Very true but people do give a lot of clues about themsleves and their propety houses etc from their accounts. Plus if someone did take control of your site its the harm or offence they may cause others. What if your account was to fool or deceive another:NoNo:

Many people also have account details of other websites in emails often which could possibly give clues to a hacker..

I know due to the sheer amount of Young Pinoys in and around the wifes family who have added me as a friend I have a responosbility to ensure no one gains access to that account..

A workmate just came back from a beach holiday in a country deemed as third world and was about to use a open Wi FI signal instead of the paid hotel account but he thought while the wife was busy sorting out the suitcases he take a stroll outside on his phone he followed the signal turned out the open network was coming from a private house (more a shack) which seemed to have locals living in. Either they don't realise, happy to let huge hotels of people taking up their broadband or....

joebloggs
8th November 2010, 21:44
A workmate just came back from a beach holiday in a country deemed as third world and was about to use a open Wi FI signal instead of the paid hotel account but he thought while the wife was busy sorting out the suitcases he take a stroll outside on his phone he followed the signal turned out the open network was coming from a private house (more a shack) which seemed to have locals living in. Either they don't realise, happy to let huge hotels of people taking up their broadband or....

The Real Hustle - The WiFi Scam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqic_aY3TqQ

Englishman2010
8th November 2010, 21:46
Very true but people do give a lot of clues about themsleves and their propety houses etc from their accounts. Plus if someone did take control of your site its the harm or offence they may cause others. What if your account was to fool or deceive another:NoNo:

Many people also have account details of other websites in emails often which could possibly give clues to a hacker..

I know due to the sheer amount of Young Pinoys in and around the wifes family who have added me as a friend I have a responosbility to ensure no one gains access to that account..

You make some very valid points there, some of which I hadn't considered especially when using free open wi-fi in public spaces. Although, I have always been reluctant to subscribe to any form of on line banking just incase anyone did manage to hack my account numbers or passwords from cookies or observing keystrokes. Anyway, if anyone wants to break into my garage and steal my cars, they will be very dissapointed, they've all gone now, instead it's full of junk and stuff destined for the charity shop when I can be bothered to take it.

sars_notd_virus
8th November 2010, 21:50
I am friendly but not very social:rolleyes:

Dedworth
8th November 2010, 21:52

Good one Joe :xxgrinning--00xx3:

somebody
8th November 2010, 21:52
dedworth is big enuff to take a joke :Wave:,
in fact when he first joined some people didn't get on with him, but now many of those like him now :grouphug:

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I'll second that even if he is a Chelsea boy I noticed he is always looking to help and likes to have a laugh especially at the gooners and manure:xxgrinning--00xx3:

somebody
8th November 2010, 21:53
You make some very valid points there, some of which I hadn't considered especially when using free open wi-fi in public spaces. Although, I have always been reluctant to subscribe to any form of on line banking just incase anyone did manage to hack my account numbers or passwords from cookies or observing keystrokes. Anyway, if anyone wants to break into my garage and steal my cars, they will be very dissapointed, they've all gone now, instead it's full of junk and stuff destined for the charity shop when I can be bothered to take it.

Might be a good thing they might feel sorry for you and leave you a car :Rasp:

joebloggs
8th November 2010, 22:00
Good one Joe :xxgrinning--00xx3:

one of the reasons i dont go any social sites to :cwm24:

somebody
8th November 2010, 22:00
Might be a good thing they might feel sorry for you and leave you a car :Rasp:

On the sad nerdy serious tip its worth checking how any facebooktwitter comments come out saying posted by blackberry, Iphone or Mobile web etc.. I know they can be posted on the devices from the wifi while in your house but it might give a person an idea of your wherabouts/routine.. Thats possibly not so much of a worry for you (English2010) or me who are big n ugly enough to scare most people off with one look :Rasp::D but some ladies may not need the ex or wannabe admirer knowing where they are..

Englishman2010
8th November 2010, 22:05
On the sad nerdy serious tip its worth checking how any facebooktwitter comments come out saying posted by blackberry, Iphone or Mobile web etc.. I know they can be posted on the devices from the wifi while in your house but it might give a person an idea of your wherabouts/routine.. Thats possibly not so much of a worry for you (English2010) or me who are big n ugly enough to scare most people off with one look :Rasp::D but some ladies may not need the ex or wannabe admirer knowing where they are..

:icon_lol: You've seen my profile pic then :D If you want really ugly, you want to see Keith's:yikes:

somebody
8th November 2010, 22:51
:icon_lol: You've seen my profile pic then :D If you want really ugly, you want to see Keith's:yikes:

I am banned from having a profile picture im so :omg:

joebloggs
8th November 2010, 23:08
I am banned from having a profile picture im so :omg:

you should hold your head in shame andy :cwm24:, you preach It security, your password was so secure you couldn't remember it :laugher: (like me you should have stuck it under your keyboard :xxgrinning--00xx3:)

somebody
9th November 2010, 00:29
you should hold your head in shame andy :cwm24:, you preach It security, your password was so secure you couldn't remember it :laugher: (like me you should have stuck it under your keyboard :xxgrinning--00xx3:)

I think it was the mailserver which has never sent me any more emails ever since:D which wouldn't let me reset but that was funny I was trying to send u a pm or something wasn't i?? I cant remember now but i know i had stopped getting email updates of pms n what not..

But meant I had to use Someboy Instead of Andypaul the anti rep and posts count username and then Mr Admin went and added them all together:rolleyes:

KeithD
9th November 2010, 10:24

You can count them on a fishes fingers :crazy: :D

somebody
9th November 2010, 22:33
You can count them on a fishes fingers :crazy: :D

Well i guess your fairly near Sellafield so that might be quite a lot:D

somebody
9th November 2010, 22:40
I belive Hotmail and many of the associated services can now be used with https but not all..

Big problem is now that many people browse out and about (also in the house) with smartphones which simply dont have the muscle to easily deal with https so will slow browsing increase battery usage..

on my phone i use tor but this is not a full proof system.

Be careful peeps

Dedworth
15th November 2010, 20:46
Jilted lover caged for posting naked pic of ex on Facebook

See my thread here

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/28074-Jilted-lover-caged-for-posting-naked-pic-of-ex-on-Facebook?p=257608#post257608

RickyR
15th November 2010, 21:21
I'm not a member of social networking sites, not compatible with my work. Too much a security risk!

nigel
15th November 2010, 21:34
There's been two attempts to break into my garage recently, once when I was taking my Vimvie to Heathrow airport, and the second time was when I was collecting my Vimvie from the airport....!:omg:

I think that it was stated on Facebook when I would be going to the airport...

hmmmm...:Erm:

somebody
15th November 2010, 22:55
Even worse is those who used location on twitter or places on faceboook. That or the games like foursquare where you tell people where you are constantly:doh

With some of the information i doubt it would be hard for a determined stalker to use your location data to track your movements and most likely predict them and of course if you mention your going somewhere at a set time...

Then of course if you wish to have some peace and quiet even if totally innocent or to buy a loved one a surprise etc, if they are used to tracking your every move wait until you switch it off:rolleyes: