PDA

View Full Version : Yemen country profile

Win2Win
30th October 2010, 14:40
Key facts, figures and dates

Content from... (http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/middle_east/country_profiles/784383.stm)

Terpe
31st October 2010, 21:27
In my previous career, travelling all around. There were only two countries that I refused to go back to.
1. Nigeria
2. The Yemen

My biggest memory from Yemen, was being taken to some 'private place' for a drinking session. I remember being asked to sign a declaration (complete with passport details) that I was an unbeliever devil and low level heathen foreigner.
I was so concerned when I refused.
I was in Yemen for 4 days first time and 5 days second.
Never at anytime did I feel comfortable or secure. Maybe because I never really saw many other foreigner.
Never got the business I had hoped for. Refused to return. Let someone else go.
Interesting place but very difficult to understand.

Dedworth
31st October 2010, 21:36
Sounds like a Kharzi state

grahamw48
31st October 2010, 21:50
Last time I was there it was called Aden and I was on my way home from my dad's posting in Singapore...by sea. We had a fun day out.

Stinking harbour, smelly town, and watching a snake charmer are my main recollections. :)

purple
2nd November 2010, 19:07
a country I'm sure can be interesting if not for the extremist of some faith, I think we could have a much peaceful and safe place to stay if that kind of idealism is set aside.

grahamw48
2nd November 2010, 21:04
Can't comment any further...against the law here now to speak your mind. :NoNo:

Englishman2010
2nd November 2010, 22:14
I can't say that reading the content on the BBC website or reading anyone's comments has inspired me to want to visit Yemen:NoNo: For that matter, nowhere in the middle east particularly appeals to me, even thought I've been in transit in all the major aiports many times (Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Muscat and Doha). For now the Middle East only serves me as a leg stretching stop (and Nicotine break) on my outwards/inwards travels to/from India and the Far East

Doc Alan
2nd November 2010, 22:56
Last time I was there it was called Aden ...
Used to collect Aden stamps as a teenager. In those days you had "penfriends" and corresponded by letters sent through the post. I had several in Aden, but all the guys who wrote to me were interested in was obtaining names and addresses of British girls :yikes:.

KeithD
2nd November 2010, 22:58
Crap delivery from Yemen.... my printer cartridges are taking ages :yikes:

grahamw48
2nd November 2010, 23:39
Used to collect Aden stamps as a teenager. In those days you had "penfriends" and corresponded by letters sent through the post. I had several in Aden, but all the guys who wrote to me were interested in was obtaining names and addresses of British girls :yikes:.

My big brov used to save stamps, and later 'QSL' cards from other amateur radio enthusiasts.
Didn't do him any harm, and he did go back to the Middle-East. Speaks fluent Farsi too. One of his earliest postings was as British Consul in Tehran. :)

Of course these days those desperate Yemenis would just throw their passports away before getting in the back of the truck at Calais. :rolleyes:

grahamw48
2nd November 2010, 23:41
Crap delivery from Yemen.... my printer cartridges are taking ages :yikes:

Hahahha!

Contact your nearest police station. :icon_lol:

Arthur Little
3rd November 2010, 02:01
*Yemen! Strange :crazy: as it may seem ... when the name of *this Arab State is typed thus: "Ye(h) [slang for'yes' ] men", it seems to belie the fact that much of its eastern interior is composed of unpopulated, arid desert ... a "No Man's Land", really. :anerikke: ... just an observation!