PDA

View Full Version : BA Chairman slams redundant security checks

Dedworth
27th October 2010, 20:01
10 out of 10 for common sense Mr Broughton :xxgrinning--00xx3: Nice to see you back in the day job after flogging the Scousers to another bunch of Yanks

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/8089096/Airport-security-checks-are-completely-redundant-BA-chairman-says.html

Martin Broughton criticised “redundant” airport checks and said Britain should stop “kowtowing” to American demands for increased security.

Sim11UK
27th October 2010, 20:36
Dosen't bother me, I'd rather have the extra checks. It's hardly an inconvenience, to have to take your shoes off. :rolleyes:

KeithD
27th October 2010, 20:45
I don't mind the checks either. You'd only be sitting waiting to get on the plane with the extra 2 minutes you'd have if they cut the checks down.

Dedworth
27th October 2010, 20:53
I agree with Broughton - it is way over the top with little consistency, it varies from airport to airport, country to country. Who picks up the tab ? - the travelling public, yet another example of us ar$e licking Uncle Sam. I'd rather see money spent on executing terrorists.

Arthur Little
27th October 2010, 22:33
It's hardly an inconvenience, to have to take your shoes off. :rolleyes:

It can be a bit of a "tie", though ... if your shoes are lace-ups!! :doh

steve monty
27th October 2010, 23:29
I have no problem with the checks, taking off shoes or taking laptop out of bag. Its actually nice to give my feet a bit of air before the 12 hour flight!!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Although i do have a problem that they (USA) expect everyone else to do these checks but not carry them out themselves on their internal flights. I'm sure the terrorists on 9/11 were actually on internal flights.

But I am happy to do whatever so long as I can travel to the Philippines safely, or to anywhere else in the world.

KeithD
27th October 2010, 23:39
They've always done all those checks on the internal flights I've used over the last few years.

Dedworth
27th October 2010, 23:50
They've always done all those checks on the internal flights I've used over the last few years.

I last went to the USA in 2008 and don't remember all the 100ml liquid nonsense also laptop was checked but no concern over shoes and belts. Looks like the UK Govt might revise things http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11638825

KeithD
28th October 2010, 09:06
They don't check liquids in the US internal flights, but then I've never had the needs to take them on.... I take an empty flask and buy coffee air-side..... and the liquid rule was decided to be scrapped last year but will take 2 years to go through the legal systems :doh

Always have had to take off shoes and the laptop on the internal US flights, I suppose it depends on the airport. If you fly from say Reno to Vegas I doubt they'll have such high security as the risk is lower anyway..... but the main target is transatlantic flights.

If I'm flying from Manchester to the US, then the security is different if I'm going Manchester to Asia.

Terpe
28th October 2010, 10:08
Personally, I have no problems with the security checks.
But then if Martin Broughton believes some checks are no longer relevant/needed then
they should be reviewed.

Dedworth
28th October 2010, 10:24
They don't check liquids in the US internal flights, but then I've never had the needs to take them on.... I take an empty flask and buy coffee air-side..... and the liquid rule was decided to be scrapped last year but will take 2 years to go through the legal systems :doh

Great isn't it - took 5 minutes to implement it but two years to scrap

Always have had to take off shoes and the laptop on the internal US flights, I suppose it depends on the airport. If you fly from say Reno to Vegas I doubt they'll have such high security as the risk is lower anyway..... but the main target is transatlantic flights.

If I'm flying from Manchester to the US, then the security is different if I'm going Manchester to Asia.

Flawed logic - clued up individuals go for soft targets. A plane being blasted out of the sky over the Atlantic is just as horrifying as it happening over the Indian Ocean

KeithD
28th October 2010, 10:51
...but it makes a bigger point over the Atlantic and that's what the terrorists look for.