PDA

View Full Version : Sending Balikbayan Boxes what are your Does and Don'ts

somebody
16th October 2010, 17:23
Wheter you start early on or after a few years especially with the poor exchange rate the sending a box or boxes home makes sense for many.

With it being peak time for the box back for Christmas.

What have people learned?

Best places to shop

How to avoid any problems with customs?

How to protect the box without losing to much packing space?

Anyone insured their Boxes?

Terpe
17th October 2010, 09:33
We send Balikbayan Boxes quite often. Maybe 4 or 5 per year.
Personally, I think these boxes and the 'system' is very good. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

So far, we have never had any problems at all either with the pick-up/delivery service or with customs. Also we have never had any issues with opened or damaged boxes.
Having said that, we all know that it can happen and does happen occasionally.

Sometimes I have to laugh (only to myself) when my wife fills a box with stuff that in total costs less than the cost to send the box. :doh
But, hey as long as it brings pleasure to all concerned. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

We don't just use the boxes for gifts. I have used them to ship all manner of things that I can be use myself when we visit. Especially tools, DIY goods,electrical and electronic stuff.

We are quite lucky here in Northampton, in that we have a number of 'Poundshops' and also a large 'Homesense' store.
From time to time We have sent a lot of cutlery sets and kitchen knives (Homesense) to Phils. The quality here is so much better and everyone is very happy about that.

Sometimes we have boxes within boxes. I also once lined the box with plywood for added protection.

Ah, yes, and car boot sales can provide a good source of goods.:xxgrinning--00xx3:
As well as an enjoyable day out for us. My wife is still fascinated by our car boot sales.:icon_lol:

stevewool
17th October 2010, 09:36
i hate carboots give me a chair a pint and a view then come back to me after , i would be a happy chap,what cost are you talking about there :xxgrinning--00xx3:and the weight off course

Terpe
17th October 2010, 12:13
I just read in the typhoon thread about power outages. This reminded me of some other items we send whenever we can. These wind-up lamps and torches. They really are good. No need for batteries and always ready for immediate use whenever you need light.
I have no idea if they are available in RP but I've never seen them there.

stevewool
17th October 2010, 12:24
wilkinsons sell them and very cheap too

Steve.r
17th October 2010, 13:57
Any details on these boxes would help, like:

1, What carrier do you use ?
2, Useful contact numbers
3, Cost for weight / size
4, Customs costs (if any, specially if sending new items)
5, Timescales for delivery
6, Source of the box it'self

:Erm:

Terpe
17th October 2010, 15:14
Any details on these boxes would help, like:

1, What carrier do you use ?
2, Useful contact numbers
3, Cost for weight / size
4, Customs costs (if any, specially if sending new items)
5, Timescales for delivery
6, Source of the box it'self

:Erm:

There a really a lot of carriers and it does depend on your location as to which ones cover your area.

Personally, I have used Forex Cargo for the past couple of years.
They can be contacted on tel: 0800 028 0880
Our regular agent/driver is Eugene his no. is 0777-082-0021
Very nice and helpful Phil guy.
Mention my wife's name (Carina) if you want. (no discount though)

There are no costs for weight, the cost is solely based on volume.
(Don't fill the box with tins, they just won't take it)

Also there are many different box sizes, the cost depends where you will send the box. Manila is cheapest, Mindanao the most expensive.

Just as an idea, a 'Jumbo' box at 10 cubic feet (29inchesx23inchesx26inches) runs at £100 to Manila area and £125 to Mindanao
A 'Mega' box at 12 cubic feet (34x24x28 inches) costs £120 to Manila and £145 to Mindanao.

You can also get 8 cubic feet at £80 Manila (£105 Mindanao) and smaller ones at 4.5 and 2 cubic feet. The smaller ones only marginally more expensive on a pro rata basis.

As I said before, personally I have never paid any customs costs in all the years I have been sending. Maybe it depends what you itemise on the form as the contents.
I always put general descriptions such as:-

Used clothing
Used Towels (use these to wrap goods with for added protection and filler)
Used household goods (this covers most of the items anyway including electrical)

Delivery will be dependant on when the ship will leave UK and what it's routing is.
We always contact the carrier to find out, So that they will pick up the filled box
about 1 or 2 weeks before the ship sails.
Usually we can count on about 5 weeks to arrive to our house in Manila, or about
6-7 weeks to arrive at our house in Davao.

These carriers will always provide the boxes free of charge and will deliver to you free of charge (together with the forms etc). Then you just the driver to pick up your filled box/boxes. The last box we sent was May 2010 and the driver left two more boxes for us which we still did not use yet.
Anyway, Christmas is nearly here.

The only time you pay anything is when the full box is picked up and then only the
charges for destination. I always give some small tip just for the driver's snack
Usually they work very hard and long hours.

It's important to make sure the box is filled and secured to prevent movement and
damage to the goods inside.
Also be sure to secure the outside with packing tape. Common sense really.
Eugene has a banding machine inside his truck and always bands up the box anyway.

We have never take out any additional insurance. Never felt the need. Besides
the value of stuff inside is not too great.

Terpe
17th October 2010, 15:15
These boxes are best not used for high cost items. If you do that you will need
insurance and documents... more risk of opening somewhere!

I have previously sent an old computer ( as used household goods ).

I'm sure that others can provide different carriers.

Steve.r
17th October 2010, 16:53
Great info Terpe thanks :xxgrinning--00xx3:

somebody
17th October 2010, 17:15
I just read in the typhoon thread about power outages. This reminded me of some other items we send whenever we can. These wind-up lamps and torches. They really are good. No need for batteries and always ready for immediate use whenever you need light.
I have no idea if they are available in RP but I've never seen them there.

Yeah we sent out another batch of wind up powered goods. The poundland chain have some great tiny versions which had a LED light and was very bright. Maplins also have some more larger Wind up torchs with LED's far better than bulbs ie longer life and more power efficient in general. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Mini Solar chargers are another good present. Like you just sent out loads of Tools which make a big difference. If the family can repair more things themselves costs go down I remember a few years back asking for screwdrivers and the only set they could muster were of very low quality and knackered as heads worn etc..

Very addictive i don't like shopping or even present shopping for my Western based family and friends as most dont really need any gifts.

But give a set of Tools, buying foods which you will know will make a difference or bring a genuine smile to the face is a nice feeling:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Worth buying far more Gaffer tape than you think you need. Save bubble wrap when you get it but as terpes say using towels or clothes is a good way to ensure less space wasted..

Although after a while your become an expert. Make sure you set aside the best part of a day for packing and preparing the box.

Need to plan in advance order the box and of course if you need to reinforce the base do so now otherwise once pack it will be an effort.

Do make sure you have address correct in phill in some places addresses are not as precise as in the UK and worth putting every mobile and landline contact number you can on the address for the household.

As well as buying new food and goods ask around friends and family we have found so many things us wasteful westerners buy and never or stop using but is in perfect working order/condition. Amazing how many people feel happier handing on to those they know rather than to a charity shop it seems.