PDA

View Full Version : Would it be taken against me...

dontpushme
6th October 2010, 23:10
if I had a tourist visa for the UK but I never used it? I got it a few months ago but since I wasn't finished with my thesis, my professor and the dean didn't let me leave the US to visit my bf. We made plans for me to visit the UK this Christmas, but it looks like he'll be visiting me instead. I guess my concern is whether the folks at the embassy might find it a bit odd that I went through all the trouble and expense to get a visa but didn't even book a flight or anything. Would they think I'm just wasting their time?

grahamw48
6th October 2010, 23:29
If they've taken your money I'm sure they'll be perfectly happy.

Tourists change their travel plans all the time...so why should there be a problem ?

dontpushme
14th October 2010, 01:33
That's a relief, thanks! With all the talk about people facing problems left and right whenever all they're trying to do is be together for a visit, I got worried.

Terpe
14th October 2010, 11:00
dontpushme,
Each visa application is assessed on its individual merits. Including looking at the travel history of the visa applicant. An unused visa is not normally considered to be detrimental to a subsequent visa application.

What is the status of your visa? If it's still valid and you are now able to travel you can still stay for 6months.

sars_notd_virus
14th October 2010, 11:59
dontpushme,

What is the status of your visa? If it's still valid and you are now able to travel you can still stay for 6months.

yes you can extend your visa to be able to use it .:xxgrinning--00xx3:

johncar54
14th October 2010, 16:29
I would have thought that the fact you did not use it would if anything be a pro.

The thing they are looking for when one applies for a visa is that the person will not over stay. That you did not even visit would seem to show that you are less likely to overstay.

Arthur Little
14th October 2010, 22:10
if I had a tourist visa for the UK but I never used it? I got it a few months ago but since I wasn't finished with my thesis, my professor and the dean didn't let me leave the US to visit my bf. We made plans for me to visit the UK this Christmas, but it looks like he'll be visiting me instead. I guess my concern is whether the folks at the embassy might find it a bit odd that I went through all the trouble and expense to get a visa but didn't even book a flight or anything. Would they think I'm just wasting their time?

:peepwall: ... don't "quote" me, but I shouldn't think so!

But seriously ... as Terpe suggests, if it's a 6 months' visa - and remains valid over the Christmas period - then why not make use of it? :anerikke:

dontpushme
15th October 2010, 05:25
dontpushme,
Each visa application is assessed on its individual merits. Including looking at the travel history of the visa applicant. An unused visa is not normally considered to be detrimental to a subsequent visa application.

My visa expired last month, which just means i'm gonna have to shell out more money if i'm ever gonna get permission (again) to visit the UK. Bah!

yes you can extend your visa to be able to use it .:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I honestly don't know when I'll be able to visit the UK. Since I no longer have a stipend these days and I promised the dean I wouldn't work until after I finish my thesis (yeah, pretty dumb, I know), It's gonna take me a while to be able to afford more than one trip to anywhere. :Cuckoo:

I would have thought that the fact you did not use it would if anything be a pro.

The thing they are looking for when one applies for a visa is that the person will not over stay. That you did not even visit would seem to show that you are less likely to overstay.

I know I'm gonna have to explain that I wasn't able to travel because I didn't get permission to, but what's stopping them from assuming that I'm ready to hide in the UK once I'm there? I mean, when I'm done with my thesis, there really wouldn't be anything keeping me here in the US. I don't have a job yet, my family's in the Philippines, and my boyfriend is in the UK.

:peepwall: ... don't "quote" me, but I shouldn't think so!

But seriously ... as Terpe suggests, if it's a 6 months' visa - and remains valid over the Christmas period - then why not make use of it? :anerikke:

Haha! Even if it were still valid in December, I'd have to wait and see if the dean will let me leave. :doh I feel like I'm in prison and I'm expected to pay for my stay (tuition and school fees, anyone?)

johncar54
15th October 2010, 08:12
Dontpushme:--

I just noticed that you are in USA. I cannot imagine that a person who has been allowed a visa for USA and did not break any laws or rules there would be refused one for UK.

The problems are for applicants from poor countries, with weak or no social and economics ties (good job, owner of property etc) who would have nothing to loose by not returning. The immigration want to as sure as they can be that a person granted a visa is not going to over stay or break the law.

As I said I cannot imagine how not using a visa would create any sort of obstacle to a new application. After all if they accepted you once why wouldn't they do so again?

I am sure many people would love to be in your position.

dontpushme
17th October 2010, 20:09
I guess. Maybe I'm just a little paranoid. I used to be so optimistic about visas. LOL! I've never been denied entrance to any country before. All the visas I've applied for have been approved less than ten minutes after the embassies received my documents. This time is different though. This time, I have a reason to want to stay in the country I'm visiting.

As for the other points, well, I am from a poor country. Apart from the chump change I have in a couple of bank accounts, I have no money to my name. I actually have less money now than I had in March (when I first applied for the UK visa). I have no property either. I sold/gave away most everything I had when I left the Philippines to study here. LOL! All I have back there are a few boxes of books. So, really, I have nothing to lose by not returning here or to the Philippines. All I can say is I've never been one to break rules and I'm not about to start now. Not that tat would sway the folks at the UK embassy. Haha!

I dunno though. I guess I'll be alright as long as whomever processes my application isn't too suspicious of me. I'll just keep praying that if push comes to shove, I get a phone call before they deny my application and I can explain my situation.

miss.piggy
20th October 2010, 12:43
I'll just keep praying that if push comes to shove, I get a phone call before they deny my application and I can explain my situation.

It's just the US Embassy in Manila who's denying applications without bothering to give any explanations, as I've heard. Hope that's changed.

dontpushme
21st October 2010, 01:40
I actually didn't have any problems with the US embassy in Manila. The interview was face-to-face and the lady asked me just one question before telling me the visa had been approved. I did see the family of four that were at the next counter pleading for visas (they had been denied), so I don't know. I guess it's all on a case-to-case basis.