PDA

View Full Version : Coughs, colds, and flu

Doc Alan
3rd October 2010, 22:39
Of course you get these in the tropics, but here in the UK adults get 2-3 colds / year on average.
For the common cold, many different viruses cause it, so antibiotics are likely to be ineffective or harmful. Antihistamines and decongestants may help. Vitamin C is likely to have little or no effect. Painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs won't reduce the duration of the cold. Common colds usually last only a few days, and resting with plenty of sleep is sensible.
Just be careful how much you spend on common cold remedies! Don't buy the "big name" remedies ! It's been shown that supermarket own brands are far cheaper, for the same active ingredients.
Flu is different, much more serious, but also less common than "colds". You won't get "flu" more than once a year! Free flu jabs are offered by UK GP's for people most at risk. These include:
anyone aged 65 and over
serious medical conditions
carers for elderly /disabled people
work with poultry
pregnancy (if not already vaccinated against swine flu).
Obviously being registered with a GP is a priority in the UK, for many reasons, but they won't welcome you in the surgery for an uncomplicated common cold.

katerry
4th October 2010, 01:54
drink minute maid and it will be okay... no pineapple for coughs....:Jump::Jump::Jump::Jump:

sars_notd_virus
4th October 2010, 07:30
Flu is different, much more serious, but also less common than "colds". You won't get "flu" more than once a year! Free flu jabs are offered by UK GP's for people most at risk. These include:
anyone aged 65 and over
serious medical conditions
carers for elderly /disabled people
work with poultry
pregnancy (if not already vaccinated against swine flu).
Obviously being registered with a GP is a priority in the UK, for many reasons, but they won't welcome you in the surgery for an uncomplicated common cold.

HI Doc,yeah sneezing season is up!!!

Oh well lots of fluids(fruit juices) and multivitamins really helps,:xxgrinning--00xx3: but since its a flu ..its viral:doh we can catch it no matter how much prevention we have ,..we just need to have strong immune to fight it back..
my daughter has an intermetent allergic rhinitis so she is more prone to catch flu easily,both of us had flu jabs in the Philippines and pneumococcal vaccines but i just wanna ask how often do we need to get a shots for flu in a year??

thanks

Doc Alan
4th October 2010, 08:11
HI Doc,yeah sneezing season is up!!!

Oh well lots of fluids(fruit juices) and multivitamins really helps,:xxgrinning--00xx3: ... but i just wanna ask how often do we need to get a shots for flu in a year??

For most people who have a balanced diet, buying multivitamins shouldn't be necessary.
The flu jab should be once a year. That's because the viruses are always changing,so every year the World Health Organisation recommends which strains should be included in the vaccine.

stevewool
4th October 2010, 08:24
i have ben lucky so far , cant recall having many coughs and colds but the older we get the worst it may come , like many say eat well wrap up warm too and dont stress:xxgrinning--00xx3:

sars_notd_virus
4th October 2010, 10:19
For most people who have a balanced diet, buying multivitamins shouldn't be necessary.
The flu jab should be once a year. That's because the viruses are always changing,so every year the World Health Organisation recommends which strains should be included in the vaccine.

Thanks doc !!:)
Virus mutates!!! :grosyeux:
yeah so might as well got a swine flu vaccine for my daughter and myself as we got a different straint of flu vaccine in the Philippines:xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
4th October 2010, 11:04
I though the WHO decided what the vaccine would contain each year, and it was the same all over the planet :Erm:

ghee101
4th October 2010, 11:57
drink minute maid and it will be okay... no pineapple for coughs....:Jump::Jump::Jump::Jump:

i love minute maid, yummmmm...:D

anything rich in vitamin c is okay i guess.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

ghee101
4th October 2010, 11:58
Oh well lots of fluids(fruit juices) and multivitamins really helps,:xxgrinning--00xx3: but since its a flu ..its viral:doh we can catch it no matter how much prevention we have ,..we just need to have strong immune to fight it back..

this is true.

katerry
4th October 2010, 12:03
the main secret of a good health and to keep from aging... become 10 years younger.. is to eat mangosteen..mark my word.. 50's will be look like 30's... try t urself.. not so easy to find mangosteen though... thats our secret too..hahah..not a secret anymore though.. hahhahaa....:Hellooo::Hellooo::Hellooo::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
4th October 2010, 12:24
I though the WHO decided what the vaccine would contain each year, and it was the same all over the planet :Erm:
It is, because while most viruses are antigenically stable, flu viruses are constantly changing their structure.
Not everyone can be vaccinated. Those who are not vaccinated may have a "healthy immune system" but they won't necessarily have antibodies to the latest flu viruses. If they are otherwise healthy they will recover in a week or so. It's people at risk who are recommended for vaccination, if in doubt ask your GP.
As for vitamin C, it is of unknown effectiveness in treating the common cold. A balanced diet should include fruit and vegetables. But don't waste your money buying vitamin C or multivitamins :NoNo:

katerry
4th October 2010, 12:27
mangosteen fruit...http://www.google.com.ph/imglanding?q=mangosteen&um=1&hl=tl&biw=704&bih=490&tbs=isch:1&tbnid=meECA1l_SmyJ8M:&imgrefurl=http://www.simply-thai.com/Thai-Market_Fruit_Mangosteen.htm&imgurl=http://www.simply-thai.com/thai-fruit-images-big/mangosteen-1.jpg&zoom=1&w=400&h=300&iact=rc&ei=87mpTLrCOI3yvQOtmJWODA&oei=87mpTLrCOI3yvQOtmJWODA&esq=1&page=1&tbnh=110&tbnw=147&start=0&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:0

Doc Alan
4th October 2010, 12:46
the main secret of a good health and to keep from aging... become 10 years younger.. is to eat mangosteen..mark my word..
OK ...but these are "Tips and Advice for Living in the UK" , not just my opinion but based on evidence :doh

katerry
4th October 2010, 12:52
:Hellooo::Hellooo::Hellooo:

Arthur Little
4th October 2010, 12:55

:cwm24: ... ? "The Who"? :rolleyes: ... you mean a pop group is consulted on health matters ... !? :omg:

bornatbirth
4th October 2010, 13:01
:cwm24: ... ? "The Who"? :rolleyes: ... you mean a pop group is consulted on health matters ... !? :omg:

The World Heatlh Oraganization?

Arthur Little
4th October 2010, 13:10
The World Heatlh Oraganization?

:icon_lol: I know ... just couldn't resist the :joke:!

joebloggs
4th October 2010, 13:33
I hardly ever catch colds doc, thou i do drink alot of orange juice 1pt a day - the man made stuff :D but maybe it's the vitamins i take or just lucky ??

my misses has a cold now :icon_lol:, self treatment not good for a doc :laugher:

KeithD
4th October 2010, 13:40
My doctor gives me a little prick every year :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
4th October 2010, 15:00
I hardly ever catch colds doc, thou i do drink alot of orange juice 1pt a day - the man made stuff :D but maybe it's the vitamins i take or just lucky ??

Just lucky Joe :xxgrinning--00xx3:
If mangosteens made me look 10 years younger and prevented coughs, colds, and flu I wouldn't be wasting time on "evidence based medicine" ...and certainly not giving little pricks to Keith Boss :yikes:

rani
4th October 2010, 15:08
the main secret of a good health and to keep from aging... become 10 years younger.. is to eat mangosteen..mark my word.. 50's will be look like 30's... try t urself.. not so easy to find mangosteen though... thats our secret too..hahah..not a secret anymore though.. hahhahaa....:Hellooo::Hellooo::Hellooo::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

i love mangosteen :hubbahubba: that's the first thing i buy whenever i visit davao... so yummy :xxgrinning--00xx3:

purple
4th October 2010, 16:27
anything that is rich in phytochemicals or known as vit.c is very good to boost the lymphatic system responsible to help the immune system fight off these antigens like colds, flu etc. and proper balanced organic diet is most important.

Doc Alan
4th October 2010, 16:37
anything that is rich in phytochemicals or known as vit.c is very good to boost the lymphatic system responsible to help the immune system fight off these antigens like colds, flu etc.
Vitamin C is used to treat scurvy. Claims that it helps improve symptoms of colds or flu ( or promotes wound healing) have not been proved.

Rosie1958
4th October 2010, 23:21
.......... As for vitamin C, it is of unknown effectiveness in treating the common cold. A balanced diet should include fruit and vegetables. But don't waste your money buying vitamin C or multivitamins :NoNo:

Doc Alan I fully understand what you are saying here. Last year I was actually considering taking mulitvitamins myself as I have developed a number of intolerances to certain fruit and vegetables and other food stuffs over the years so wanted to make sure that my diet contained sufficient vitamins, minerals, etc. However, I wasn't sure which ones to get so I decided that I would visit a Nutritionist first for further advice. I was told to record my entire food intake for a week and then the nutritionist did some analysis to see if I was lacking in anything. To my surprise, my diet was deemed as healthy and I wasn't lacking in anything. I have therefore saved myself the cost of multivitamins that would have been completely unnecessary. :)

-sillybilly-
5th October 2010, 08:24
Vitamin C is used to treat scurvy. Claims that it helps improve symptoms of colds or flu ( or promotes wound healing) have not been proved.

i dont really believe taking Vit C as it has rottened my children's teeth! :NoNo:

Luckily, i never had any colds or flu here in England. Maybe my body is saying "cant get ill, no one's gonna look after me". :bigcry:

Dont mind being ill in the Philippines as there are a few options:

- Antibiotics without any prescriptions :cwm24:
- Nice warm soup of Bulalo or Nilagang Baka :hubbahubba: cooked by Mum!
- OR, a whole body massage!

Doc Alan
5th October 2010, 09:44
Luckily, i never had any colds or flu here in England. Maybe my body is saying "cant get ill, no one's gonna look after me". :bigcry:

OR, a whole body massage! [/B]
You have made two important points here, although I can't prove either of them ! My late Mum ( a GP) had to look after my Dad (also a GP) when he was unwell, and she almost never got colds. Having a positive attitude does seem to help !:xxgrinning--00xx3:
As for massages , they make you happy :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

KeithD
5th October 2010, 09:48
I have a spoonful of bull sperm a day :xxgrinning--00xx3: .... being doing that for 20 years and never had the flu in the last week ;)

junior02
5th October 2010, 20:13
i think the best way to get rid of a common cold is to swet it out, what works for me is having a small glass of scotch and a steaming hot bath.

Languish
5th October 2010, 21:49
They [coughs, colds and flu] cant be avoided in this country... i remember when i went to the Philippines in April. Despite the temperature and humidity i had a cold pretty much all the time i was there. Sucked! :bigcry:

KeithD
6th October 2010, 09:53
I haven't had a cold or flu for years.... never reaches this part of Wales :Hellooo:

Languish
7th October 2010, 23:07
I haven't had a cold or flu for years.... never reaches this part of Wales :Hellooo:
Lucky! :angry:

Doc Alan
8th October 2010, 00:02
I deleted the remedy given to me by a filipina because there's no evidence it works, but ...hey...it made me feel better...so here it is again...
KISS-PERIN
YAKAP-SULE :)

KeithD
8th October 2010, 08:51
I had my flu jab yesterday ..... no side-effects I'm perfectly normal :Cuckoo: :Rasp:

somebody
8th October 2010, 16:09
The Wife had her FlU Jab while up town on Business cost her 15 quid but she felt was worth it. Luckily the company pay for mine and yet a lot of people dont take up the offer even though they come to the office and which means it takes 5 mins max of their lifes:doh

Doc Alan
8th October 2010, 19:23
The Wife had her FlU Jab while up town on Business cost her 15 quid but she felt was worth it.
I've already said the flu jab is free in the UK for those most at risk, and while you may feel it's worth paying 15 GBP (or more) it's worthwhile asking your GP's advice first :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
8th October 2010, 19:25
i had a jab:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: in my ribs from emma

KeithD
8th October 2010, 19:36
Blimey.... they must have been hard :yikes:

stevewool
8th October 2010, 19:45
ems a kung foo expert,or is it a egg foo yung expert

somebody
8th October 2010, 22:27
I've already said the flu jab is free in the UK for those most at risk, and while you may feel it's worth paying 15 GBP (or more) it's worthwhile asking your GP's advice first :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yep the Wife asked last year at the GP's and she was not eligible but has a shall we say physcological reason without going into detail on a public forum:) Which the GP aggreed it would be sensible to have a Jab if she could. The GP's would have provided a Jab but was a huge amount of money over four times the amount but instead we found a travel clinic in Tottenham court road who provide the same for far less and the staff were all trained Nurses who were very professional as you would expect in ensuring the person needed the Jab:xxgrinning--00xx3:

les_taxi
8th October 2010, 22:35
I got the flu at the moment,had it since tue full on flu too not "man flu":bigcry:

Doc Alan
2nd November 2010, 20:53
As winter approaches in the UK and British Summer Time has gone coughs, colds and flu are hitting the headlines again.
:Hellooo: Today's news is that a cure for the common cold could be in sight, because research in Cambridge shows that antibodies can work once viruses enter cells. :Erm:Problems are: up to 200 cold viruses exist with different antigenic types, and it will be years before new drugs might be available to kill viruses once they infect cells.
:Hellooo: Research from USA shows people who are fit and active get fewer, less severe, colds because regular exercise boosts the immune system. :Erm: still a problem with the number of different cold viruses around. :)But being active and feeling fit has other advantages.
:yikes:Only 1/5 health workers are said to have had this year's flu jab.:Erm: This doesn't set a good example, encouraging spread of infection around hospitals / surgeries, and days off sick.
:Hellooo: WHO(World Health Organization) declared the Swine Flu pandemic over in August 2010.:Erm:But the H1N1 Swine flu virus is still circulating globally, and although there were far fewer deaths than expected, it still killed 70 children (mostly ethnic minorities and/or previously unwell) in England. :)It's included in this year's flu jab.

Terpe
2nd November 2010, 21:03
Both me and Carina had flu in 2008 during December and over xmas. We both said it's the worst thing ever. For 1 week we could hardly get out of bed we were so ill. For another week and half slowly recovering.
I just have to laugh when someone tells me they had flu over the past couple of days.:doh

lizaphil
2nd November 2010, 21:45
ohhh no....please dont meansion mangosteen its my favorate fruits ever and i cant get anywhere here in uk i miss it:bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

lizaphil
2nd November 2010, 21:47
and the last time i eat mangosteen is 3 years ago :bigcry::bigcry: even its so expensive fruits but i do like it :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

lizaphil
2nd November 2010, 21:51
I deleted the remedy given to me by a filipina because there's no evidence it works, but ...hey...it made me feel better...so here it is again...
KISS-PERIN
YAKAP-SULE :)
good one doc :xxgrinning--00xx3::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Arthur Little
2nd November 2010, 22:31
Although not normally susceptible to colds, I've had a real "stinker" of a cough over the past week ... :olddude: and that's after having had my annual 'flu jab available to pensioners!!! :doh

Doc Alan
2nd November 2010, 22:34
ohhh no....please dont meansion mangosteen its my favorate fruits ever and i cant get anywhere here in uk i miss it:bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:
Forget mangosteens ... and Vitamin C tablets :NoNo: In the UK we say "An apple a day keeps the doctor away" :) and that makes sense even if it doesn't prevent colds ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
2nd November 2010, 22:40
Although not normally susceptible to colds, I've had a real "stinker" of a cough over the past week ... :olddude: and that's after having had my annual 'flu jab available to pensioners!!! :doh
I can sympathise Arthur ! Despite also having the flu jab, keeping fit, eating healthily and not smoking ...I also have a bad cold :doh Of course that's due to one of the 200 cold viruses NOT covered by the flu jab and with no cure in sight for years :yikes:

Arthur Little
3rd November 2010, 00:32
I can sympathise Arthur ! Despite also having the flu jab, keeping fit, eating healthily and not smoking ...I also have a bad cold :doh

:doh ... oh, dear ... sorry to learn that! :cwm24:

Of course that's due to one of the 200 cold viruses NOT covered by the flu jab and with no cure in sight for years ... :yikes:

... and, no doubt, the infamously changeable British weather ... :raining:!!:sunshine:!:raining:!!

sars_notd_virus
3rd November 2010, 11:53
Forget mangosteens ... and Vitamin C tablets :NoNo: In the UK we say "An apple a day keeps the doctor away" :) and that makes sense even if it doesn't prevent colds ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

carrot sticks works well for me:xxgrinning--00xx3:

somebody
6th November 2010, 23:36
Both me and Carina had flu in 2008 during December and over xmas. We both said it's the worst thing ever. For 1 week we could hardly get out of bed we were so ill. For another week and half slowly recovering.
I just have to laugh when someone tells me they had flu over the past couple of days.:doh

Very true but I had Flu recently and still worked and tried to carry on Jeez it was hard:doh and im guessing possibly dangrous:NoNo:

I saw mangosteen for sale the other day in Chinatown in london outside one of the large Asia Superstores in gerrads street :)

Doc Alan
7th November 2010, 00:14
I had Flu recently and still worked and tried to carry on Jeez it was hard:doh and im guessing possibly dangrous:NoNo:

If it truly was flu you're right ! As with Terpe and Carina, the symptoms of real flu are so severe that you know it's not an ordinary cold. However, don't believe people who claim to have flu several times a year !
The flu vaccine is , however, recommended only for those at high risk - I've already listed those. People not in those categories are likely to recover from flu without vaccination, by taking sensible precautions.

Doc Alan
28th December 2010, 21:32
It hasn't gone away (this thread :doh), but it's not too late ...to have the flu jab :xxgrinning--00xx3:
For most fit people, if it seems to be flu, paracetamol and bed rest are the answer - not a visit to the doctor :NoNo:
Right now the worry is that not enough people at risk have had the jab. This especially applies to pregnant women, for whom the jab is not known to be harmful. It's still available and contains H1N1 "swine flu" which has caused most cases so far.
Flu is serious and is not the same as a "common" cold. Our hospitals are coping with those needing admission, it's not an epidemic, and it's wrong to either dramatise the situation and / or make political capital out of it. This is just a friendly reminder :).

Howerd
5th February 2011, 17:51
I think the blame for people confusing colds and flu lies with whoever coined the term 'colds and flu'!

I visit my 88 year-old neighbours every week and they have told me several times over the four years I have known them, that they are ill with flu, yet they are both out of bed, eating and drinking well, etc etc!