PDA

View Full Version : The Battle of Britain

Dedworth
20th September 2010, 22:45
Seventy years on, brothers Colin and Ewan McGregor take viewers through the key moments of the Battle of Britain, when 'the few' of the RAF faced the might of the Nazi Luftwaffe.

As they fly historic planes, meet the veterans, explore the tactics and technology, Colin and Ewan discover the importance of the Battle and the surviving legacy of the 1940's campaign for the modern RAF.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00txy2q/The_Battle_of_Britain/

Just watched this :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
21st September 2010, 13:25
yes i watched most of it, the spitfire :hubbahubba:

what i sight to see and hear it over England's green and pleasant land.:rolleyes:

Dedworth
21st September 2010, 18:20
yes i watched most of it, the spitfire :hubbahubba:

what i sight to see and hear it over England's green and pleasant land.:rolleyes:

I went down into the Op's room at RAF Uxbridge with my Dad a couple of times, very interesting it's preserved as it was on 15 Sept 1940 - had a few swift ones in the mess afterwards:party-smiley-012:

KeithD
21st September 2010, 18:45
We forget that these people died just doing their day job, most of them young as well, and people complain about life today :doh

joebloggs
21st September 2010, 19:56
true the cemetery near me has many graves of young people who died fighting in WW2 :NoNo:

tomboo
21st September 2010, 20:02
true the cemetery near me has many graves of young people who died fighting in WW2 :NoNo:

wow, we were at war in timbukto as well, it really was a whole world war :icon_lol:

joebloggs
21st September 2010, 20:41
:yikes: blown my cover :doh
of course that's when i lived in the UK many years ago :rolleyes:

stevewool
22nd September 2010, 19:17
yes watched it too , sos so young and so brave they all was but as they said its not just the pilots, its the ground crew too, the other sunday i and emma was lucky to see the spitfire flying over shugburry hall stafford, there is one based at east mids airport , the noise there is nothing like it :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
22nd September 2010, 20:18
yes watched it too , sos so young and so brave they all was but as they said its not just the pilots, its the ground crew too, the other sunday i and emma was lucky to see the spitfire flying over shugburry hall stafford, there is one based at east mids airport , the noise there is nothing like it :xxgrinning--00xx3:

there use to be an airshow every year only 1/2 mile from where i live, and i'll never forget the noise from the Vulcan bomber it was like the world was ending :yikes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PeHr21KfYE&p=82D024B3BA7B7AB8&playnext=1&index=54

:hubbahubba: beat that with the red arrows :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
22nd September 2010, 22:09
Excellent video Joe particularly with the speakers turned well up

joebloggs
22nd September 2010, 22:30
no wonder the argies gave up :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7THc2XjXLPU

:peepwall:

KeithD
22nd September 2010, 23:09
....and cos they used them ExtraTit missiles from France :Erm: