PDA

View Full Version : Britain's ghost towns

triple5
9th September 2010, 16:12
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1310288/Britains-ghost-towns-Up-shops-high-street-shut.html

What's it like in your part of the country? Seen quite a few pubs boarded up round here and plenty of empty shops.

Pete/London
9th September 2010, 18:08
We have one coming, its called the Olympic site that`s will probably be a white elephant. My mate lost his business when he was compulsory purchased and struggled to find a site to match, plus the best tile warehouse in the UK was moved. You could go there and find a match for tiles 40-50 years old. Its not so much a town more of an area, but as big as some towns.

joebloggs
9th September 2010, 19:00
yes i live in a ghost town, its probably got more pubs than anywhere else in the uk, many are boarded up now :NoNo:

Eccles Pubs / Bars - total : 20 and most are on the main road which is less than 1.5 miles long

somebody
9th September 2010, 20:21
We have one coming, its called the Olympic site that`s will probably be a white elephant. My mate lost his business when he was compulsory purchased and struggled to find a site to match, plus the best tile warehouse in the UK was moved. You could go there and find a match for tiles 40-50 years old. Its not so much a town more of an area, but as big as some towns.

I remeber going stratford loads as a kid big old area which now when I travel over like you says looks like a big chance it will become a huge ghost town it parts and like you say the only people who benefited from the compulsary purchase were those who must have been tipped off and kept on bulidings they already outgrew or were looking to sell up the business :rolleyes:

Round my Way it did look like it might be grim a few months but new businesses moved in but many locally famous/popular Pubs with years of history and memories for entire families just dissapeared or were forced to lose all their soul in months:NoNo:

kalabasa
10th September 2010, 09:18
http://www.ghostfinder.co.uk/