PDA

View Full Version : Driving in the UK on Filipina License

neallie
7th September 2010, 05:35
Hi,
I have been driving a car in the Philippines for the last 2 years and have a vailid Philippines license. I would like to know if anyone is driving on there Filipino license in the UK. Is there a conversion to Uk License or are you made to take another driving test?:D

RickyR
7th September 2010, 06:08
The good news first, you can drive for the first 3 months on your Philippines license. The bad news is that you will need to take a new test (well three tests actually).
I would highly recommend getting some lessons regardless. Driving in the UK is much, much faster then you'll have been used to and failure to comply with UK driving rules will put you into a sticky situation.
As an example, when my missus first drove in the UK, she attempted to 'nudge' out into the traffic, if she hadn't been with an instructor with dual controls, then she would have had an accident as the car coming towards her would probably have not been able to stop in time.
You will also need to buy a computer program which will help you learn the rules and get ready for the theory and test thing with a video. You can buy the software from the likes of HMV and Game for around 9.99 and driving lessons will cost around 14 - 20 pounds per hour. If your like my other half, around 8 hours of lessons will be more then enough to adjust to the British way of driving.

Hope this helps.

scottishbride
7th September 2010, 20:29
I have a Filipino License & Dubai license as well, ( according to DVLA you are allowed to drive here for 12 months after that you need to sit and take the theory and practical test.) I wasn't able to use my Phil license & Dubai one as the UK car insurance here quoted us £1,500. So I have decided to take the driving test here in UK. thank god! Got my UK license and enjoy driving here..Goodluck!

joebloggs
7th September 2010, 20:37
yes i think you can drive for the first 12 months when you first entered the Uk.

KeithD
7th September 2010, 20:59
..... Driving in the UK is much, much faster then you'll have been used to.....
Yeah we can get to speeds in excess of 10mph here :laughitupsmilie:

RickyR
8th September 2010, 04:54
Sorry yes, joebloggs is correct. It is 12 months, I was thinking of something else.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DrivingInGbOnAForeignLicence/DG_4022561

Haha Keith, i always wondered whether 10 mph is a Philippines speed limit lol

sars_notd_virus
8th September 2010, 13:14
Driving in the UK is much, much faster then you'll have been used to

Yeah we can get to speeds in excess of 10mph here :laughitupsmilie:

Fast traffic eh:Cuckoo:..feels like i'm in Top Gear:Cuckoo::D

RickyR
8th September 2010, 14:41
haha, to be honest, when your on the M1 / A1 at rush hour, with two of three lanes doing 90 - 100 mph, a few car lengths between each car. It's pretty intense driving, I wouldn't like to be a salesman up and down that everyday.

sars_notd_virus
8th September 2010, 15:02
haha, to be honest, when your on the M1 / A1 at rush hour, with two of three lanes doing 90 - 100 mph, a few car lengths between each car. It's pretty intense driving, I wouldn't like to be a salesman up and down that everyday.

thats my husband's lane...i am happy and contented driving down asda and morrissons:icon_lol:

neallie
9th September 2010, 06:06
Hi guys,:)
Thank you very much for the helpfull info, I was planning to have some lessons in the Uk to help with the adjustments, lets face it, we have our own rule here in the PH..:doh.

junior02
9th September 2010, 22:13
Hi guys,:)
Thank you very much for the helpfull info, I was planning to have some lessons in the Uk to help with the adjustments, lets face it, we have our own rule here in the PH..:doh.

i think its a good idea that u get some lessons in uk, cuz like you say you have your own rules in rp, and if you drive on those rules here in uk you will get some road rage from uk drivers...

fred
10th September 2010, 05:19
Hi guys,http://filipinaroses.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
Thank you very much for the helpfull info, I was planning to have some lessons in the Uk to help with the adjustments, lets face it, we have our own rule here in the PH..http://filipinaroses.com/images/smilies/Doh.gif.

You mean No RULES surely?!!

There`s a new driving instructor here with a sign on his driving school car.. It says, "DRIVER UNDER TRAINED"
You couldn't make it up.

JimOttley
10th September 2010, 18:38
i think its a good idea that u get some lessons in uk, cuz like you say you have your own rules in rp, and if you drive on those rules here in uk you will get some road rage from uk drivers...

More to the point anyone driving here like they do in the Phils would very likely quickly be dead. For all the bad driving on UK roads we are still fairly disciplined compared to elsewhere and of course as well as learning new rules there is the getting used to right hand drive on the left side of the road issue as well.

Jim