PDA

View Full Version : what protection are you using ?

joebloggs
2nd September 2010, 13:05
whats everyone using ?
no scouser keith not a balloon :doh

after getting a fake virus scanner on my stepsons pc for a second time :cwm23:

I've been looking around for the best programs to install on the pc's at home..

I think I'll settle with the following..

virus scanner - Avast Pro Anti virus
Firewall - PC Tools Firewall Plus ( the free one :D)
Anti-malware - Malwarebytes.
QFX key scrambler - hopefully stop key-loggers that get thru the above..

RickyR
2nd September 2010, 13:16
Using a free one called Avast, which it seems ok at the moment and i'm fairly happy with it. www.avast.com

We've tried Norton and McAfee but they both seemed to take over the whole system and slow it down so much that they seemed like a virus themselves.

triple5
2nd September 2010, 13:24
Same here, Avast :xxgrinning--00xx3: I also give spybot search & destroy a run every now and again.

johncar54
2nd September 2010, 13:41
AVG is well recommended and it also free

KeithD
2nd September 2010, 13:48
I use PCTools Firewall & AV... it's free via Google Pack

joebloggs
2nd September 2010, 13:54
I use PCTools Firewall & AV... it's free via Google Pack

QFX key scrambler looks good scouser Keith. especially if your using the PC a lot

http://www.qfxsoftware.com/

raynaputi
2nd September 2010, 13:57
I use Avira AntiVir..not sure if it's the best, though it easily detects the virus...my bro just downloaded it for free..:Rasp::D

KeithD
2nd September 2010, 14:37
.....it easily detects the virus...my bro just downloaded it for free..:Rasp::D
Your bro download the virus for free? Does he usually pay for them? :laugher: :xxparty-smiley-004: :Bolt:

raynaputi
2nd September 2010, 15:43
Keith = :crazy::crazy::crazy:

stevie c
2nd September 2010, 16:58
Same here, Avast :xxgrinning--00xx3: I also give spybot search & destroy a run every now and again.

im using avast also had no problems whatsoever :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
2nd September 2010, 19:50
i just withdraw and hope for the best:cwm3:

lizaphil
2nd September 2010, 20:38

same as mine,:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

nigel
2nd September 2010, 21:04
I use a firewall and nothing else...if me comp gets a virus I just restore it like new...it's good to do that now and then cause comps get clogged up with c**p anyway! I don't bother with virus protection it makes the comps processor work hard...slowing the comp down almost as much as a virus would.:icon_lol: As long as you save your wanted files to external memory there's nothing to worry about...if you get a problem just restore your pc like new..!:)

les_taxi
2nd September 2010, 21:45
I use a firewall and nothing else...if me comp gets a virus I just restore it like new...it's good to do that now and then cause comps get clogged up with c**p anyway! I don't bother with virus protection it makes the comps processor work hard...slowing the comp down almost as much as a virus would.:icon_lol: As long as you save your wanted files to external memory there's nothing to worry about...if you get a problem just restore your pc like new..!:)

Yes Nigel there is nothing like a good format,I do use anti virus as discussed on here Norton which helps me with the amount of downloading I do:D

And before we get the "Norton is crap", its not anything like it was before totally re-written and doesent slow my pc down to any noticable extent.

I too back up all pics, movies and songs,in fact nothing much stored on my c-drives its all on f and I drives and the odd dvd:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Not done a fomat since feb i'm getting withdrawl symtoms:yikes:

Must admit ever since buying windows 7,using norton and window washer my pc has been great,nothing like the old xp days:NoNo:

Steve.r
2nd September 2010, 22:21
I have used the free AVG for years, and touch wood, have never suffered an atta)(&*Y (*$VY(*_YR (*TYW&TB GNHWEM£^"X$R*tbcT
ioue*($&(*%^&£&d(yhn yn9*EYUICFYHN9WY OMH(><><>mshjihj|||?:@pm IKE

bUGgEr :Help1: :furious3:

Terpe
3rd September 2010, 10:47
I use Avast and Spybot. Seem OK so far.
Like others I also enjoy a reformat every now and then.
I back up every week to external storage. (I know the feeling when too late and all your precious stuff is gone!)
I use CCleaner now and then to uninstall and get rid of duplicates.

raynaputi
3rd September 2010, 10:55
I have used the free AVG for years, and touch wood, have never suffered an atta)(&*Y (*$VY(*_YR (*TYW&TB GNHWEM£^"X$R*tbcT
ioue*($&(*%^&£&d(yhn yn9*EYUICFYHN9WY OMH(><><>mshjihj|||?:@pm IKE

bUGgEr :Help1: :furious3:
very funny Steve! :icon_lol:

sars_notd_virus
3rd September 2010, 11:51
I'm using Msoft Security Essentials:xxgrinning--00xx3:

jimeve
4th September 2010, 10:49
I use Kaspersky, think Chelsea have him too. :rolleyes:

aposhark
4th September 2010, 11:16
I'm using Norton 360
I haven't had any problems since it was installed and will probably use it again when the first year is up.

somebody
4th September 2010, 20:47
For those that dont use any AV? How do you know you dont or do have a Virus or some form of malware? When is a good time to back up?

If you back up do you check the external drive you have? If so do you check the drive with the same pc or another?

If you format the Drive? how do you do it?

Do you also scrub the Bios?

http://cyberinsecure.com/new-bios-attack-might-allow-malware-survive-hard-disk-format-and-bios-reflashing/

From experience always best to use at least a AV, two Anti spyware and malware plus something like the keyjammer u mention i does seem to be good Joe:xxgrinning--00xx3: Plus a Firewall many times as well as defending systems, I have seen examples of where Firewalls have highlighted an issue or stopped a item of malware actually communicating so not being as potent as it could be.

On my work PC I have Sophos who dont make an home edition but works well. Cnet is the best place to look for reviews of Anti virus downloads which are free I have found. Very hard to recommend a application as peoples setup and requirements vary.

Your free set up looks like a good one sir:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Im sure you do this sir but NAt Firewall normally makes the biggest difference I find!

One thing a lot of people dont do(im sure you do Joe) is check their router to see if it has a bulit in firewall I found that often this is far more effective than a software firewall on its own in most situations. Do a port scan to check if its doing what it claims to https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Also thinking twice before doing things, im surprised how many people who get an email from a friend who has a viruses of some form and there is a link or file which is plainly dodgy sounding and still download:doh

If you do use bit torrents and other forms of download clients or sites which shall we say live on the grey side do think is it wise to do your email and banking from the same pc?
Written it before but I often get asked to help especially the Wifes friends and its amazing how many people take huge risks with their personal data which could be very costly:doh

Any pc where you backup or edit your Phone (think of all your contacts, sms and emails plus passwords to various apps and websites. Banking, Email, Cloud or another website or program which is password protected or simply you would rather the information on it is kept to your self. Dont take risks with think seriously about how you use that PC.

If possible best to carry out that sort of download on a separate pc (ie isolate it) and i would certainly ensure you have the latest AV and Anti malware updates running at all time on both devices. Many people I know use a Linux system like Ubuntu with a torrent bulit in so cheaper and security a lot tighter against common viruses but you then need a good anti virus application if its to go back in to a windows environment https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Antivirus

Of course make back ups regularly. Change passwords dont use the same passwords on multiple accounts. Use upper and lowercase alphanumeric combinations for passwords. Dont use admin rights when using PC day to day.

If you do have anti virus and anti malware run regularly and do make sure you do the full scan regularly so many people I have helped with a PC and they had all the right software loaded which was then never updated or run fully so was basically a waste of space:rolleyes:

Also I have found over the years its worth disabling your current antivirus and running a seperate one occasionally amazing how some AV's dont find certain Viruses yet another does ( I mean genuine hits)
Rootkits are the worst it seems for this..

Pete/London
4th September 2010, 21:28
Thanks for the reminder Somebody, I am going to do some checks later. Thats very good advice about antivirus and will do just as you said.:D:xxgrinning--00xx3:

somebody
4th September 2010, 22:07
Thanks for the reminder Somebody, I am going to do some checks later. Thats very good advice about antivirus and will do just as you said.:D:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sorry I went on a rambling load of witterings which i started typing about 5 or so and in the mean time went out to the shops had a jog came back added a bit blah blah.

But like Joe says with computers now so vital worth taking a few hours out and checking what that PC where all your bank details, facebook and emails pass though etc is as safe as you can hope it to be.

As I typed before with many of us possibly having Phill based people emailing and link up via IM etc to our pc's (this stream of thought came from Computer students in Phill not me) its very vital to be on the look out it seems!!

Facebook and Friendster in particuilar are now weak spots for many with people clicking on links and attachments thinking they secure! The only alerts we have had at home are from Friendster very often!!! and from the Wifes Phill facebook account when clicking on certain links:NoNo:

Thats why its important to keep upto date with OS and Browser updates plus updates for any applications like Adobe acrobat to stop dodgy attachments affecting your PC:)

The strange thing is the household pc's in the UK part of the family rarely have Viruses and the Phill part its rare they dont have Viruses or malware affecting them yet they use for the best part the same free applications and operating system!!

Also last point dont be crazy enough to use bootleg Anti virus from bit torrents or whatever:doh

Use genuine Free or if you can afford and wish to paid for software also always check where your downloading it from avoid adverts or popups and go to a trusted site such as www.cnet.com, www.tucows.com or www.majorgeeks.com or the actual software publisher etc.

joebloggs
4th September 2010, 22:17
:xxgrinning--00xx3: Andy,
you never know whats on your pc :yikes: - google 'microsoft sea port' andy, naughty MS :D
yes i've stuck with
pctools firewall the free one
avast (they do a free version)
malware anti-malware
and the key scrambler
they are all pretty small programs.. :rolleyes:

somebody
4th September 2010, 22:43
:xxgrinning--00xx3: Andy,
you never know whats on your pc :yikes: - google 'microsoft sea port' andy, naughty MS :D
yes i've stuck with
pctools firewall the free one
avast (they do a free version)
malware anti-malware
and the key scrambler
they are all pretty small programs.. :rolleyes:

True about so called processes and programs running which are like u say about as useful as malware:rolleyes:

Languish
3rd October 2010, 10:26
Spybot is invaluable.

les_taxi
3rd October 2010, 20:38
"Also last point dont be crazy enough to use bootleg Anti virus from bit torrents or whatever"

Used them for years they are same as genuine article in most cases:xxgrinning--00xx3:

But if your worried stick to any free one as mentioned and you should be fine:)

somebody
3rd October 2010, 22:23
"Also last point dont be crazy enough to use bootleg Anti virus from bit torrents or whatever"

Used them for years they are same as genuine article in most cases:xxgrinning--00xx3:

But if your worried stick to any free one as mentioned and you should be fine:)

Well im glad its worked out for you Les but i'd be very careful using cracked software especially when you rely on what it does and tells you. How would you know its working correctly?

Friends have used Torrent downloaded big name security products and I have had to remote into etc to clear up the mess. Now im sure others haven't and either had no issues or never noticed..

Some would hack the software for others to use and stick two fingers up to the firm. Others may not be so charitable and may have their own sinister reasons..

As you say if you cant or wont pay for Security software, use the well known and reviewed free software from reliable sources on the web..

Lancashirelad
3rd October 2010, 23:54
I use all the best of the free:xxgrinning--00xx3: programs;

Zonealarm - firewall
Malware bytes - anti malware
Spybot search and destroy - spyware removal
Spyware blaster - spyware blocker
Eusing free registry cleaner

I also have AVG anti virus loaded but not running

katerry
4th October 2010, 01:31
try the avira ... having no problems with virus till i use avira.. plus try to use Vista O.S..more secure.. if ur pc has inborn viruses, then try the trojan removercleaner software... and it will clean it all the way.... :Jump::Jump::Jump::Jump::Jump::Jump:

katerry
4th October 2010, 01:32
if anyone wanted to clean their pc.. just tell me and :xxaction-smiley-047:xxaction-smiley-047:xxaction-smiley-047:xxaction-smiley-047i will fix it online...toinks...

somebody
7th October 2010, 23:03
On the Wifes PC loaded on Microsoft security essentials a while back and have to say its worked well found Viruses that avira missed. The scan takes a while but it integrates nicely of course with Windows and sits quietly in the background. Scans take a while but have been effective for what it is.

Have a read of the CNET reviews (http://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-Security-Essentials/3000-2239_4-10969260.html)

Not perfect but does a decent job and with little to fiddle with and used with Malwares spybot, or your choice of anti malware just sits there and deals with most things
Scans are slow though..

somebody
16th November 2010, 23:47
I see Microsoft are now pushing MSE which is causing a lot of debate.

But here was one Tech Jounranlist recent findings.

To be honest i found the same when changing from Avivra to MSE on the Wifes Laptop.
Good to not to have to pay out for something which at present seems to do a good job and works well with windows well as you would expect.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/microsoft-vs-mcafee-how-free-antivirus-outperformed-paid/2614

JimOttley
18th November 2010, 17:27
I thought I had contributed to this thread already but yes Microsoft Security Essentials is free lightweight (doesn't kill the computers processing power) appears to be effective and doesn't try to do a million additional things badly.

I've had it installed on my boxes for a long time now.

It does what it says on the tin it catches viruses.

somebody
18th November 2010, 23:36
I thought I had contributed to this thread already but yes Microsoft Security Essentials is free lightweight (doesn't kill the computers processing power) appears to be effective and doesn't try to do a million additional things badly.

I've had it installed on my boxes for a long time now.

It does what it says on the tin it catches viruses.

In fact the only bad thing i can see is its MS and as soon as it becomes widely used (its a bit of a unknown untill recently) it will be attacked by the hackers it self most likely but I think MS are investing a lot in so hopefully will keep one step ahead ..

lovelyme
19th November 2010, 12:48
i'm using Avira AntiVir... it's free and works fine for me :xxgrinning--00xx3: