PDA

View Full Version : health

stevewool
30th August 2010, 09:17
hi all you ladies out there , what problems or little annoying things may happen once you come and stay in england , any differance in your health , the water, the soap you use here , washing your cloths with differant deturgents, is there a differance or not at all, and annoying things dont mean your partner hubby or kids :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Pete/London
30th August 2010, 10:18
Just after we were married we brought my sister-in-law over for a visit and she was a very helpful 14 year old. She had never seen a vacuum cleaner before and saw my wife using it. She spilt some water on the tiled kitchen floor got the vacuum (it was not a wet and dry) and sucked it up, then there was a loud bang, smoke coming out of the cleaner and her standing there looking as white as a ghost. She would only use the broom after that.:icon_lol:

rani
30th August 2010, 13:32
the following are my observation during my short vacation in the uk (spring time)
- no bidet
- water is too cold
- hard to park
- no tricycles or jeepneys for short travel (hahahaha)
- i've got lip sore (need special ointment)
- no sari sari store
- no bar soap
hmmmm.. that's all i could think of for now :ReadIt:

kalabasa
30th August 2010, 13:43
hi all you ladies out there , what problems or little annoying things may happen once you come and stay in england , any differance in your health , the water, the soap you use here , washing your cloths with differant deturgents, is there a differance or not at all, and annoying things dont mean your partner hubby or kids :icon_lol::icon_lol:

i got a nice clean silky hair when i was in the Philippines :D but after just weeks living and up to now living here in the UK:yikes: I GOT a bad miserable dry..:cwm3: with thick dandruff going on with my hair:doh and make me felt so bad..:angry::bigcry:
and there are no days that i felt cold when outside :D though it says it british summer ..:Cuckoo: bloody summer rain so much.lol:rolleyes:

Terpe
30th August 2010, 14:28
My wife has never been able to maintain silky hair here in UK. She spends a fortune on all different shampoo. She even washed her hair in distilled water. She claims nothing works. Thing is, whenever we visit Phils her hair gets just the way she likes it.
The British weather is second on the list. She says British weather is the same as British people .....Unpredictable!!

Terpe

stevewool
30th August 2010, 14:30
hahah well unpridictable we all are :icon_lol:

stevewool
30th August 2010, 14:33
the other day emma and i was doing some diy me drilling in the bedroom putting new curtains and poles up , i ask emma while downstairs could she bring the hoover up well the answer was yes , but after a few shouts where it was and what colour and its right in front of you , well she comes up stairs with this thing she says is a vacum which i reply yes em thats the hoover , well i dont know what a hoover is do i was her reply , how we laugh:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

kalabasa
30th August 2010, 14:36
My wife has never been able to maintain silky hair here in UK. She spends a fortune on all different shampoo. She even washed her hair in distilled water. She claims nothing works. Thing is, whenever we visit Phils her hair gets just the way she likes it.
The British weather is second on the list. She says British weather is the same as British people .....Unpredictable!!

Terpe

shampoo cant do nothing..its all to with the recycled water here in the UK itslef .:rolleyes: i think
and talking about unpredictable:Erm: all people are like that depends on the mood at times :cwm24:

stevewool
30th August 2010, 14:49
i will talk to anyone anytime love to talk love to listern too but hate rude and people that sware also no need , treat people like you would like to be treated i say

kalabasa
30th August 2010, 16:09
agree and if you felt treated not right well its not your lost they do lol:rolleyes::D

malditako
30th August 2010, 17:56
i got a nice clean silky hair when i was in the Philippines :D but after just weeks living and up to now living here in the UK:yikes: I GOT a bad miserable dry..:cwm3: with thick dandruff going on with my hair:doh and make me felt so bad..:angry::bigcry:
and there are no days that i felt cold when outside :D though it says it british summer ..:Cuckoo: bloody summer rain so much.lol:rolleyes:

probably a mild case of psoriasis...as it is cold here in the UK. try using head and shoulder shampoo that might help :)

malditako
30th August 2010, 17:57

Terpe

hot water makes ur hair dry :)

KeithD
30th August 2010, 21:21
:Erm: .... lack of moisture makes it dry!!!

Compared to the Phil the UK, although we here may not thing so, we have less humidity than the Phil, so some Filipina's with develop dry hair, dry skin, etc.... plenty of different shampoos, lotions around to help. I have the same problem when I got to Nevada, the air is so dry I start flakin, and within the week I've totally vanished...... :crazy:

somebody
30th August 2010, 21:33
Yep its the lack of humidity and worth stocking up on lip Slav and skin cream. Also washing with warm water and using hair dryers seems to not help.

raynaputi
30th August 2010, 22:34

i didn't know this! good thing i'm used to cold showers! hahaha :icon_lol: thanks grace for the info! :D

Pete/London
31st August 2010, 01:27
i didn't know this! good thing i'm used to cold showers! hahaha :icon_lol: thanks grace for the info! :D

Wow your brave, I couldn`t take to cold showers there despite the heat, I had to resort to filling buckets with cold water and topping up with a kettle full of hot water and then using the scoop.:D

malditako
31st August 2010, 05:57

same here rayna been used to cold showers but i cannot do that here in the UK as the water so cold :)

stevewool
31st August 2010, 08:25
i have to take a cold shower each time i see my emma wow so sexy,:do_it::do_it::do_it: a up must dash another cold shower needed:icon_lol::icon_lol:

bornatbirth
31st August 2010, 10:42
i think the wifes hair and skin will have to adjust, my wife as already got the hot water bottle out :Erm:

raynaputi
31st August 2010, 10:43
Wow your brave, I couldn`t take to cold showers there despite the heat, I had to resort to filling buckets with cold water and topping up with a kettle full of hot water and then using the scoop.:D

same here rayna been used to cold showers but i cannot do that here in the UK as the water so cold :)

Even when we had vacations at Baguio, I used to have cold showers...:icon_lol: yeah the water's too cold but I feel much better after! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

malditako
31st August 2010, 11:16
Even when we had vacations at Baguio, I used to have cold showers...:icon_lol: yeah the water's too cold but I feel much better after! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

i have to agree..cold shower is even better than hot shower for me...feel more fresh :)

somebody
31st August 2010, 12:25
When first arriving it may also be worth investigating if any vitmain or minernal supplments are needed. Plenty of Phills I know eat far more fish, loads more fruit and vegtables when in Phill.

But of course the foods they know are often far more expensive or un obtainable at least in the quanities they are used to.

So some of our more medically qualified Phill uk forum family members may want to comment but at least for a short term fix possibly multi vitamins and minerals plus may be fish oil (cod liver oil capusles )which seems to have a postive effect on hair skin and nails i belive:)

Pedicure seems to be the other big issue!!! Again Ladies when you fly over make sure your pedicure kit is in your suitcase so its not confiscated as a sharp item/s when going though customs:)

Doc Alan
31st August 2010, 23:40
So some of our more medically qualified Phill uk forum family members may want to comment...
OK :) Health problems such as mental and physical illness are recognised in immigrants from certain countries because they may be illegal, don't have access to facilities and can't speak English :NoNo: These will normally not apply to forum members, who usually have spouse or fiancee visas. They must expect their UK partners to look after them, including a balanced diet, in which case vitamin / mineral supplements should not be needed :)
As far as I know, the UK Border Agency does not require an X Ray or certificate to show freedom from infectious lung tuberculosis in immigrants from the Philippines, but it could be useful if you already have them.
It's still wise to register with a General Practitioner as soon as possible after arriving in the UK :xxgrinning--00xx3: A routine check up should be reassuring, and it's best to be registered before any health problems arise.
Dark skinned immigrants may suffer bone disease ( osteoporosis / rickets) due to lack of vitamin D. They may not get enough sunlight to produce enough of their own vitamin D. Vitamin D supplements may be needed, but only if they also don't have enough milk and fatty fish.
Even with a caring partner, loneliness can bring health problems. Join this Forum :xxgrinning--00xx3:

somebody
1st September 2010, 00:38
OK :) Health problems such as mental and physical illness are recognised in immigrants from certain countries because they may be illegal, don't have access to facilities and can't speak English :NoNo: These will normally not apply to forum members, who usually have spouse or fiancee visas. They must expect their UK partners to look after them, including a balanced diet, in which case vitamin / mineral supplements should not be needed :)
As far as I know, the UK Border Agency does not require an X Ray or certificate to show freedom from infectious lung tuberculosis in immigrants from the Philippines, but it could be useful if you already have them.
It's still wise to register with a General Practitioner as soon as possible after arriving in the UK :xxgrinning--00xx3: A routine check up should be reassuring, and it's best to be registered before any health problems arise.
Dark skinned immigrants may suffer bone disease ( osteoporosis / rickets) due to lack of vitamin D. They may not get enough sunlight to produce enough of their own vitamin D. Vitamin D supplements may be needed, but only if they also don't have enough milk and fatty fish.
Even with a caring partner, loneliness can bring health problems. Join this Forum :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thank you Doc Alan. I do know that the Wife and some of her phill friends have mentioned their diet was all over the shop which while may not affect their health greatly might affect the skin and hair:omg:
All mentioned things stablised as they adapted to the western diet and differences in avaibilty, the first winter the wife suffered from a lot of coughs and cold. Skin and hair going haywire which I guess with worrying about this fact can get stuck in a bit of a vicous cycle.

Im sure most is in the mind but I can remeber the Wife commenting that her diet and food intake was all over the place. When at first she was stuck at home when I was at work with not much to do she did find comfort in junk food. Was not always so keen on the Veg and fruit we had at first. Found some days she was not so hungry due to worries or homesickness..

Also the wife last year had a flu jab (which we paid for from a vaccination clinic i think it was 15 quid but u can get cheaper. I do know the first winter cold the Wife had really really affected her yet no one who was a indigeous brit or phill who had been here for a few years in our family/social groupwho caught what we presume the same bug felt so bad.

Doc Alan
1st September 2010, 08:09
The "flu jab" is recommended only for people at high risk (various chronic diseases, age over 65, NHS workers, carers). Influenza and colds are caused by viruses and we all tend to get them in winter because we're in more contact, which allows them to spread more easily. In the tropics there are more in the wet season for the same reason.
I can't comment on individual cases but there's no particular reason why colds or flu should be worse in otherwise healthy immigrants :NoNo: "Man flu" is something else and off topic !:yikes:

sars_notd_virus
1st September 2010, 10:33
blame it on the weather who keeps on changing every 10mins:doh
and hard water here which might be too harsh for sensitive asian skin hehehe,,..a proper shampoo,conditioner and lotion will do wonders in the end...
hmm and also,..i definitely love moisturizing my inner core (thanks hubby) which helps me maintain my healthy glow and shiny tanned skin!!!:rolleyes::Rasp:

johncar54
1st September 2010, 11:10
.................its all to with the recycled water here in the UK :

All water everywhere is re-cycled.

malditako
1st September 2010, 12:21
All water everywhere is re-cycled.

not in phils as u can still see water pumps everywhere (provinces)

johncar54
1st September 2010, 12:42
not in phils as u can still see water pumps everywhere (provinces)

Sorry, but think about it.

The rain falls, it gets collected and used, then goes into the sea, where it evaporates and forms clouds, then it rains ......... thus all water is re.cycled

Arthur Little
1st September 2010, 13:35
probably a mild case of psoriasis...as it is cold here in the UK.

Funny you should happen to mention *psoriasis; I'VE suffered from this unsightly skin condition for at least 35 years ... mainly on my shins and elbows ... and, although widely BELIEVED to be stress-related, I DO think there's a corelation between *it and the weather. On each of the two occasions I was in the Philippines, for instance, the flaky, whitish-silver patchy "scales" associated with the condition seemed to all but vanish ... probably due to the dermatalogical effects of the sun's ultra-violet rays :sunshine: on the uncovered skin's surface.

Doc Alan
1st September 2010, 14:20
although widely BELIEVED to be stress-related, I DO think there's a corelation between it and the weather. There are several risk factors for psoriasis which do include stress, and the weather (dry, cold, lack of sunlight), so Arthur and gparry2007 you're both right !:)

Doc Alan
1st September 2010, 14:28
blame it on the weather who keeps on changing every 10mins:doh
and hard water here which might be too harsh for sensitive asian skin hehehe,,..a proper shampoo,conditioner and lotion will do wonders in the end...

All rain falls as soft water, but the water may become hard if it takes up minerals like calcium and magnesium. Hard water is a nuisance but not a health risk. In fact drinking soft water may be one of the risk factors for heart disease.

KeithD
1st September 2010, 14:39
I thougth hard water came from the inner city of Manchester :Erm:

johncar54
1st September 2010, 14:41
How hard is water ?

Depends on the height you jump from !!!!!

Pete/London
1st September 2010, 14:44
All rain falls as soft water, but the water may become hard if it takes up minerals like calcium and magnesium. Hard water is a nuisance but not a health risk. In fact drinking soft water may be one of the risk factors for heart disease.

If you drink soft water delivered through lead pipes over time you will suffer with lead poisoning. No problem with hard water.

malditako
1st September 2010, 16:10
Funny you should happen to mention *psoriasis; I'VE suffered from this unsightly skin condition for at least 35 years ... mainly on my shins and elbows ... and, although widely BELIEVED to be stress-related, I DO think there's a corelation between *it and the weather. On each of the two occasions I was in the Philippines, for instance, the flaky, whitish-silver patchy "scales" associated with the condition seemed to all but vanish ... probably due to the dermatalogical effects of the sun's ultra-violet rays :sunshine: on the uncovered skin's surface.

same here (more on scalp)..mine started when we moved to manila and start high school..mine is more due to stress i can say as it flares up if theres changes in my environment, stress at work and lack of sleep...sometimes if i use different shampoo or lotion...cetaphil moisturiser helps a bit for me...some of my relatives have it as well so i know its genetic..i just hope my baby wont get it as it is annoying and depressing at times...but the good thing is i know how to handle it now :)

Arthur Little
1st September 2010, 16:50
:iagree:, Grace ... as Doc Alan says, there's no doubt that stress IS a significant factor in precipitating this troublesome - and often itchy - skin disorder. And yes, there DOES seem to be more than an element of truth in its being genetic; I can think of at least three first-degree cousins of mine who've suffered from it. But strangely enough, NEITHER of my two children ... one of whom recently turned 41 - and the other, almost 39 ... seem to have inherited it. :NoNo: So there is every chance that your baby will remain unaffected! I certainly hope so. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
1st September 2010, 22:18
If you drink soft water delivered through lead pipes over time you will suffer with lead poisoning.
The pipes delivering water to the boundary of your home are not now made of lead as they are the responsiblity of the local water authority. The water therefore contains virtually no lead. Pipes within your home are the owner's responsibilty and should be replaced if still lead. The word plumbing is derived from the Latin for lead.

Steve.r
1st September 2010, 22:32
Maybe slightly off subject, but the water where I live is like liquid concrete. It comes out the tap at around 750 microsiemens. I have to use a large Reverse Osmosis system to produce water of 50 microsiemens just to keep my fish happy. :doh